• Published 19th Nov 2012
  • 7,028 Views, 791 Comments

The Missionary - Radon18



Follow a man, surviving in equestria with nothing but his wits and his faith, oh and his own town.

  • ...
62
 791
 7,028

Chapter4: Over the hill and into the mud

Chapter 4

“Dialogue”

“Words in a foreign language.”
“Quoting in thought”



Celestia rubbed her temples with her hooves, her crown on the royal dinner table in front of her. She could feel the darkness in the distance; it squirmed and writhed like an angry snake on the edge of her consciousness. Celestia’s mind, as much as it ached, was occupied with worry. Her little ponies, the ones she sent to investigate, had yet to report in. She couldn't help but steal glances out of the window, looking out beyond Ponyville where several strange spires rose above the forest canopy, barely able to see in the fresh moonlight.

“You have been fidgeting since you sat down sister, surely you cannot be that worried?” came Luna’s voice from the other side of the table. “I know I cannot feel the... disturbance as well as you, but at least finish your dinner before you have a breakdown.”

Celestia pushed her worry to a corner of her mind and returned her attention to the only other occupant of the palace dining hall. Celestia playfully glared at Luna, trying to push her worries even farther into the recesses of her mind. “Oh and you obsessing over those photographs is any different?”

Luna looked down at the aerial photographs spread over almost her entire half of the table, leaving little room for her breakfast. “I'll have you know this is scholarly interest, not obsession. I merely find the architecture fascinating. For example, look at this image here.” One of the photographs floated over to hover in front of Celestia who raised an eyebrow and took in the massive sprawling complex of tubes, giant hollow towers, and odd looking machines. Celestia recognized several of them as the spires she could see poking up over the horizon. “Some from the academy have theorized that this structure is a single massive machine dedicated to a single purpose. Imagine, sister, what kind of powers these ponies were manipulating to need a construct of that size.

“And this one!” Luna replaced the picture with another, practically shoving it into her sister’s face in her excitement. The photo was of a square building at least four stories tall with large columns decorating the front.

“Sister, I don't-”

“This is obviously a center of government of some kind.”

“There is-”

“And nearly all of these buildings are connected by some sort of rope! Who would do something like tie buildings together?” Luna shoved yet another picture into her sister’s face. This one was a closer picture of an area with many buildings, all of them strung together with rope that attached to tall poles next to some of the roads.

“Sister, please-”

“And this one is-”

“LUNA!” Celestia shouted, her voice just short of Luna’s infamous royal Canterlot voice.


“Sorry...” Luna slid one of the photos back and forth under her hoof, looking sheepish.

Celestia smiled, it was moments like this that let her enjoy the eternity she and her sister called life. “It is alright sister, but you have to understand my worry. The feeling has gotten worse, not only stronger but now it feels.... more active, agitated, or angry almost. I worry for the safety of the ponies I sent in my stead. If anything happens to them...” She trailed off, turning to look out the window again.

“I'm sorry, I should not have made light of your worries.” Luna walked around the table and threw her hooves around her sister’s middle, pulling her into a hug. “Everything will turn out alright in the end, like it always does. Our little ponies will be fine, you'll see.”

Celestia returned her little sister’s hug and felt a little better. Things had always turned out fine, why should this be any different? “I know sister, but thank you for reminding me.” They split apart and shared a laugh, Luna returning to her seat and began to gather the photos. Celestia finished her dinner and was about to retire to her bedroom when a puff of green flame in front of her alerted her to a letter from her student. She unfurled the rolled parchment and scanned the letter, her eyes slowly growing wider. By the time she reached the end of the page her expression was grave. “Sister, we must go to Ponyville immediately!”

“What is the matter?” Luna asked paused in the middle of cleaning up her photos.

“They caught something...” Celestia lit her horn and vanished with a pop.

***

*One Hour Earlier*

Why are the guards all over town? Before Twilight had entered Sugarcube Corner the streets had been practically deserted, but now the guardsponies were swarming the edge of town. They ran back and forth, setting up layers of barricades all along the road that led to Fluttershy’s home and Sweet Apple Acres. “What's going on!?” she shouted, running up to one of the soldiers.

“Just go home ma’am, everything is under control,” the guard said as he turned to block her path. Undeterred, Twilight dropped her groceries, leaving them in the street, forgotten, and ran off to find the rest of the girls. If there was something going on, then they would handle it like they always had. Twilight stole one last glance at the gathered guardsponies just in time to see a formation of pegasi disappear over the barricades.

***

Fluttershy ran around the room, trying to calm her animal friends. It had taken her a minute to notice the growling noise through the sudden commotion her animal friends had made. She almost ran and hid beneath her couch, but the sound had piqued her curiosity. What is that sound? She was nervous like she always was when she encountered something new, but something wouldn't let her just hide and ignore the sound. Many animals came to her from the nearby forest when they were ill or needed her help, what if this was just a creature she had never heard before looking for her help?

Fluttershy slowly approached the window, just barely poking her head over the sill to get a look outside. What she saw confused her. It was a box. A big, blue and white box. Then she noticed the wheels, it was a cart, and the strange sound was coming from it. She recognized bits of it, like the wheels, and the springs, and pipes. It looked almost like a square, miniature locomotive and that meant it was a machine of some kind. She wasn't very knowledgeable on machines, they just seemed to work when she needed them to. Then she saw the windows that made up the entire upper portion of the strange machine and allowed her to see the strange creature inside. Fluttershy was very well educated when it came to animals, not as well as, say a veterinarian, or a zoologist, but she was able to recognize the very ape-like qualities of the creature. Monkeys and other apes were amazingly rare on Equis, in fact the only images she had seen of them were old black and white photographs from expeditions into the jungles near the zebra lands.

Fluttershy stared in fascination at the creature. The creature in the machine did not move much, it just panned its head back and forth. She was able to see the expression on its face through the tinted glass of its machine. It was an expression of astonished joy, its mouth hung open and its eyes were wide but Fluttershy could still see the signs of elation on its face. If it had just emerged from the Everfree Forest like it appeared to, Fluttershy could understand its delight.

Then its face fell, joy turned to fear instantly and its eyes stopped on one point in the distance. What could possibly make this fascinating animal become so afraid so quickly? Fluttershy quickly made her way across her living room to look out of the other window, hoping to find out. The view was of Ponyville but what was so scary about-

Then she saw them, a large portion of the town’s guardsponies were in the road in front of a several roadblocks. They were standing in military formation with spears pointed right at the creature and its machine. A formation of pegasi flew over the gathered guards and she lost sight of them. ‘What are they doing?’

Had the ape-creature scared somepony? Was it dangerous, or had it gotten sompony hurt? She was still trying to figure out why the odd ape and the guards would be fighting when she heard the roar. She squeaked and was about to go hide when the machine raced by her window. It tore down the road surrounded by the squad of pegasi, the sound fading as it went. She saw the machine turn to the right and away from Sweet Apple Acres, but that meant that-

She heard it but she wasn't sure she wanted to see it. A loud crunch and splash followed by a shriek of broken metal and the sound of shattering glass. Fluttershy knew the machine had fallen into the stream near her house, taking the poor ape-creature with it.

“Oh no, oh dear, oh no.”

She grabbed her first aid kit and ran out the door, concern for the more than likely injured creature pushing her fear to the far corner of her mind.

***

“Oh my God...”

I had only been driving through the forest for a few hours, according to my watch and the truck’s clock. It sure as hell hadn't felt like only a few hours; the dark forest had felt like it had taken me weeks to navigate. But here I was, finding myself on the other side of the dark, evil forest. The sun was just barely touching the horizon and splashed golden rays of light over the landscape; and what a landscape it was...

I found myself on a sprawling grassland, beautiful green fields stretched as far as the eye could see. To my left was an ordered collection of trees, probably an orchard, and a quaint dirt path lead to a small village in the distance. I couldn't believe my eyes, it almost looked like one of the nicer places in California. It needed more hills and highways but it was still close. It was wonderful and the setting sun set everything off and only added to the beauty. The odd fact that the light rain had stopped just as abruptly as the forest had didn't even enter my mind, I was too busy being awestruck.

Then I noticed the army waiting for me on the road. What the- , why is- THIS MAKES NO SENSE! I was screaming at myself in my mind, my mood instantly plummeting into confusion and fright. Why are they here? I understand I didn't make a good first impression, but this is just overkill! Several of the flying ponies came down on the dirt road behind me, cutting off my way of back into the forest. I let the brake go and pressed gently on the accelerator. I didn't want any of them getting too close, even if they couldn't hurt me inside my vehicle they could probably bust a tire, and if that happened I didn't have a chance. I picked up some speed and was now going a solid thirty. A spur of the moment plan popped into my head, my mind was made up. I turned sharply to the right and hit the gas. I was going to escape into those wide open golden fields and there is nothing that the army of ponies could do about it!

The engine roared and my truck sped off to the side of the road. I congratulated myself on my unpredictable move. Suddenly I found myself careening down the face of a muddy hill and into a large creek. My expression changed from smug to terrified as my feet slammed down on the brakes but my momentum carried me down the slippery mud embankment. I gasped, preparing to scream but didn't get the chance as the truck slammed nose first into the bottom of the creek bed. The airbags inflated and hit me in the face, moments later the truck’s momentum carried it’s back half of the truck forward, tipping the Bronco over and slamming it top-first into the opposite bank.

I felt something smash into the back of my head, probably the crumpled roof. I didn't know if I was badly injured yet, apart from an obvious head wound. I could feel myself dangling upside down, the seat belt digging into my shoulder. I could hear water rushing in through the Bronco’s smashed windows.

I heard the ponies surround my ruined truck and it wasn't long until one of them reached in and drug me bodily from the cab. I found myself lying on the ground looking up at the sky with at least twenty ponies all scowling back at me. If I didn't already know better I wouldn't have been able to see them as dangerous; they looked so...disarming. It was like I was being accosted by teddy bears.

I could hear soft voice coming from somewhere in the crowd, speaking more of that gibberish language, but I couldn't pinpoint who was speaking. I was loaded onto a wooden cart and I barely remember seeing the spear wielding pony from this morning wearing a smug look on his face. I didn't really care at that point, as I was pretty out of it. I must have passed out at around this time because the next thing I remember is sitting in a cell, chained to the wall and my head feeling like someone had been using it as a doorstop. Oh, and I'm naked. How wonderful. I saw a flash of green from somewhere out of sight. The flash was followed by another, brighter flash. Oh I hope those aren't cameras.

'Really brain? We’re chained up to a wall and you're worried about being photographed naked?'

I groaned as I tried to get a feel for how the old voice was working. Unsurprisingly, I sounded like crap. “H-H-HELLOo!?” I cried out in my raspy voice. Before I did this I was not able to hear anything, but I could still tell that there were people around, the air just had that hum in it. After I called out, the air froze, all signs of life ceased. Stopped. Gone. It was the creepiest feeling of my life. Then there was a tapping sound, like two women walking down a hallway in heels. I could feel a pressure building in my chest the closer the sound got to me. With every tick-tack-tick-tack of the footsteps it was like someone put a couple extra pounds on my ribcage. By the time the steps got right outside of my cell I could barely breathe. Every breath was a short, desperate, gasp. Then the presence stepped around the corner, I immediately erupted into coughing fits as the pressure in my chest became unbearable. Worse still, it walked closer, the door swinging open to allow it entrance.

I still hacked and coughed like my lungs had decided it was time to pick up and get the hell outta Dodge. I wanted to look up. I was curious, but I couldn't lift my head no matter how hard I tried. I had actually begun to pray out loud which I had never done before, even now I didn't know if it would help, would I even be heard in this place? “Be our protector and defender against all that is harmful or evil. Bring our needs before almighty God and give us the grace to conquer every danger and overcome all that would threaten our health and well-being.” I repeated it over and over while my lungs burned from the strain. The sensation of being crushed waned tortuously slowly until I could breathe again. Once I had gasped down several lungfuls of air, I tossed my head up to look at the presence that had nearly strangled me just from walking into the room. When I did, I wished for a long time after that I could take it back, that I would never have lifted my head at all, and when I could not take it back the only thing I could think of did not help.

I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see. And I saw, and beheld a white horse.

***

The spirit that was once Nightmare Moon flitted about in the ethereal plane, never able to stray far from the castle in which she was so humiliatingly defeated. The Elements of Harmony had stripped her of almost everything: her power, her control over that pathetic puppet Luna, and her freedom to move about the world as she wished. It was torture, she was meant to be powerful, in control and free to do as she pleased. But now if she ventured far from the castle, the volatile magic of the Everfree forest would tear her fragile spirit to shreds.

Until a week ago, that is. Something in the forest had soaked up the tumultuous magic of the Everfree like that cow Celestia devoured cake. With the path far safer now to travel, the wisp that was Nightmare Moon made its way closer to the source of the dark energies. This was it, she would possess whatever was gathering all of that energy and she would be unstoppable! She cackled to herself as she slipped between the trees of the forest. Ahead of her loomed a massive wall of stone, she was getting closer...









Author’s note: Progress!
Also it’s all Soarin’s fault! :trollestia:


Editor’s note: Never have I had so many random conversations while seriously working on... anything. This was a lot of fun. Also, the chapter title was my idea. - Admari