• Published 9th Nov 2012
  • 14,126 Views, 575 Comments

Dr Sheldon Cooper goes to Equestria - Lancelot



An obsessive physicist gets transported to a world of technicolor equines, and scientific anomalies.

  • ...
108
 575
 14,126

The Insidious Introduction

“...But we can’t even consider that, just look at Planck’s Constant. People say it’s arbitrary, it couldn’t be less arbitrary! If it varied even slightly, life as we know it would cease to exist!”

“Shel-”

“Now, now, let’s reconsider the entire argument, with entropy reversed and effect preceding cause, you are thinking of a universe that’s not expanding from the center, oh no, it is retreating from a possibility space!”

“Sheld-”

“This is a space where we all are essentially Alice through the looking glass, standing in front of the Red Queen, and we’re being offered a cracker to quench our thirst!”

“Shel-”

“Of course, in another universe, let’s call it universe prime. There’s another Sheldon, a pony Sheldon, let’s call him Sheldon prime…”

“Sheldon, please stop. Plea-”

“Now you’re probably thinking, doesn’t this render the existence of Sheldon alpha and Sheldon omega obsolete? It doesn’t! The genetic algorithm of the equine contradicts the cell division of intelligent life forms on a molecular level, thus the chain is broken! The deoxyribonucleic acid binding us together has been cut loose, we’re free!”

“Please, Sheldon. You need to stop talking now,” said Twilight. Her disheveled mane swung from side to side as she violently massaged her temples. “We’ve been standing here, listening to you for over an hour. I can’t perform the spell that’ll teleport us to the other side while you’re distracting me, okay?”

“But I have stopped talking, I will stop talking, I’m in the process of stopping talking, don’t you see, Twilight? This conversation has already happened over one-hundred billion times, and the outcome will always be the same!”

“We know, Sheldon. You’ve already explained this to us, you can be quiet now,” sighed Twilight. The tired puffy bags beneath her eyes shifted as she aggressively rubbed her eyelids, inhaling deeply every few seconds.

“You’re being too easy on him, Twi,” huffed Rainbow, flicking her mane in childish defiance. “Let’s just ditch him while we’ve got the chance.”

“Now, now, Rainbow, Ah thought I warned ya’ll bout’ pickin’ on Sheldon,” said Applejack, tilting her stetson upwards to lock eyes with her friend. “He’s jus’ going through a rough patch right now, Ah’m sure it’ll wear off sooner or later.”

“Yeah? Well I ain’t sticking around to find out!” snapped Rainbow, stretching her wings to prepare for takeoff.

“And jus’ where in tarnation do you think you’re going?”

“I dunno; I don’t care!”

“Wait, Applejack’s right!” interjected Twilight, craning her neck sideways to address the boisterous pegasus. “You can’t leave, we need you! The Princess said all the elements of harmony need to be present!”

“Forget it, Twi,” dismissed Rainbow with a firm head shake. “Why should I hang around here, listening to this lunatic go on about random crap every ten seconds?”

“You’ve proposed a good question,” exclaimed Sheldon, eagerly. “Hypothetically speaking, why should you hang around here? I’m sure you’re aware, unnecessary or unprovoked aggression towards another - typically of opposite gender - is most commonly associated with repressed sexual feelings, or the longing for a significant other. The consensus being, the guilty party refers to a vain perception of reverse psychology in an otiose attempt to establish relationships with others.”

“See!?” bellowed Rainbow, exchanging glances between her friends. “He’s a total nutcase!”

“He has a point though,” giggled Twilight, much to Dash’s dismay. “We have an entire section about that sort of stuff back at the library, in Ponyville.”

“Y’hear that ya’ll; somepony’s got a crush on Sheldon,” teased Applejack, inciting a barrage of laughter from the group, and a strange snorting sound from Pinkie.

“Oh my, Rainbow darling, I never pictured you as the lovey-dovey type,” said Rarity, batting her eyelashes at her blushing friend.

“T-that’s not true!” stammered Rainbow, “You girls know I hate Sheldon! I wouldn’t even think of-”

“D’aww, there’s no need to be all embarrassed, Dashie.”

“Shut up, Pinkie; I’m not embarrassed!” snapped Rainbow, stretching her wings as she leaned forwards, preparing for take-off.

“Come on, Rainbow, we were only kidding around,” said Twilight, “We know you don’t like Sheldon, really.”

Her words fell upon deaf ears, however, as the pegasus launched herself into the sky. Her wings narrowed, cutting through the air like butter as she ascended into the clouds.

“Rainbow, don’t leave!” called out Rarity, “We were merely jesting, dear; I assure you!”

“Oh no, I hope she’s not angry.We didn’t upset her did we?”

“Jus’ leave her, girls,” said Applejack, yanking down her stetson to cover her eyes. She slanted back against the old barrel she’d been leaning against and crossed her hooves indifferently. “She’ll come back, jus’ give ‘er a couple minutes to herself.”

“So, I’m led to assume that this ‘Element of loyalty’, that the blue horse is supposed to represent, is nothing more than a form of social prestige to spite her peer group - like an expensive leather jacket, or a limited-edition Iron man helmet at Comic-con, am I correct?”

“What?”

“Well, you’re a talking purple horse, and the laws of this fictional universe dicate, that you represent the element of magic; a title in which you certainly live up to with your glowing horn, and your preposterously cheap second-hand magic tricks.”

“Cheap, second-hand magic tricks?” repeated Twilight with a frown. “I’ve studied under the Princess’ wing since I was just a filly, my magic is anything but cheap-”

“But the other equine, the rainbow-maned one… she’s yet to show even one admirable trait, yet she claims herself to be the uncontended, genius maestro of what, loyalty? Telling me that pony embodies the word ‘loyal’, is like expecting Penny to remain loyal to her sexual partner, it’s completely illogical.”

“...What?”

“I’m just saying, whatever supernatural deity that’s making these decisions about which horse epitomizes each specific so-called ‘Element of harmony’, should have its licence invalidated and it’s authority to make such decisions, nullified indefinitely.”

“Okay…” sighed Twilight, dragging her head upwards to meet the physicist’s gaze. “Listen Sheldon, I know you’re supposed to really smart - and I don’t doubt that - not at all! But you shouldn’t comment on things you don’t know anything about, and believe me; this is one of those cases.”

“Oh really?” replied Sheldon, crossing his arms impatiently. “With all due respect Twilight, I have a master’s degree and two doctorates. The things I should know, I do know.”

“Then maybe this isn’t something you’re supposed to know,” retorted Twilight, inching closer to her verbal aggressor. “Rainbow Dash is a close friend, and one of the most dependable ponies around. She doesn’t need to prove her loyalty to anypony, let alone you.”

“You can affirm your vocal objection, it won’t change the facts. Surely, as the self-appointed ‘intelligent horse’ of the group, you can perceive the actuality that there are far more suitable candidates for a position, akin to the representee of loyalty.”

“No, you’re wrong!” responded Twilight, “Your entire argument is flawed, and not to mention incredibly biased.”

“Flawed? Biased? No, I think you’re mistaken; Doctor Sheldon Cooper’s arguments are never flawed. Did you not just witness Rainbow Dash forsake her oath to the almighty equine overlords of harmony and abandon us, earlier? Or did you conveniently forget her sudden departure...”

“I know what you’re doing, don’t try and twist this dispute in your favor by bringing that into this,” warned Twilight, the tip of her snout poking into the physicist’s stomach, as she looked up into his eyes. “You haven’t been in Equestria for very long; you can’t make assumptions about Rainbow based on the last two days alone, Sheldon.”

“I think you’ll find I can,” said Sheldon, stepping back to create some distance between himself and his adversary. “I’ve been the subject of ceaseless verbal abuse on such an extreme scale, I've been experiencing Déjà vu from my childhood. The blue horse portrays an alarmingly accurate impersonation of the adolescent tormentor who bullied me at school for being more intelligent that he was.”

“So now you’re calling me stupid behind my back, huh?” announced a raspy voice, from behind the group.

“Ah, Rainbow Dash!” exclaimed Sheldon keenly, as he spun around to address the voice. “How convenient, we were just talking about you-”

“Cut the crap, Sheldon!” snapped Rainbow, “I’ve been here awhile ya know, I know what you’ve been saying about me.”

“Good, I’m glad,” stated Sheldon, “That’ll save me the trouble of explaining all of this to you, when you came back.”

“Have you really been here, this entire time?” asked Twilight, poking her head to the side of Sheldon’s slender figure.

“I never left,” admitted Rainbow, with a smirk. “I just flew up to that cloud above us; I could hear everything you guys were saying.”

“Oh… that makes sense.”

“And Sheldon, about what you said…” began Rainbow.

“Mhmm?”

“You’re right.”

A dumbstruck Twilight’s jaw hung wide open, while the rest of the group quietly observed the unusual revelation play out before them.

“I’m not the best symbol of loyalty, I know that,” admitted Rainbow, her woeful, unblinking eyes gazed into Sheldon’s - a degree of seriousness, uncommon in Dash’s usual brash behaviour. “And I know you and I haven’t exactly been best pals, either...”

“Where are you going with this?” asked Sheldon, “If you’re requesting my forgiveness for two-days of persistent harassment then I should tell you that that wasn’t an apology; that’s simply an acknowledgement that I was right.”

“Geez Sheldon, why do you have to make everything so hard?” groaned Rainbow, flicking her tail in frustration. “You know what I’m trying to say.”

“Then relinquish your ambiguousness and state it outright.”

“Fine! Whatever! I’m sorry-”

An intense purple light abruptly engulfed the entire area, illuminating the nearby streets and alleyways with dazzling radiance. The bright, warm glow spiraled upwards and clung to the group like steamy glue, before disappearing with a flash, dissipating everyone nearby.

* * *

“... We’re still alive… it must have worked.”

W-where are we, what happened?” squeaked Fluttershy, clambering to her hooves from the slimy, grime covered ground.

The group were situated on the side of an old building, which had evidently been toppled over by the floods. Muddy water leaked through the various cracks and openings, the lower levels completely submerged. The decaying structure produced deafening creaks, as it’s aged construction struggled against the harsh, chemical river thrashing at it’s sides.

“Ya could’ve warned me you were casting the spell, Twi,” grunted Rainbow, aggressively shaking the dirt off her wings and mane.

“I did,” said Twilight, blowing strands of her disheveled mane out of her eyes. “You were too busy arguing with Sheldon to even notice.”

“I feel sick,” mumbled Sheldon from the ground, as he rolled over onto his back. “Someone retrieve a paracetamol before the symptoms exacerbate.”

“That’s probably just a side effect, it’ll wear off soon,” stated Twilight, levitating a map out of her saddlebag to confirm their location. “I’ve never used my magic on anypony from a different universe before, so this is a new experience for me too.”

“I’ve told you before, stop using that word; it’s pronounced ‘anybody’.”

“Not in Equestria it’s not,” added Twilight absentmindedly, as she scanned the map levitating in front of her face.

AAHHHH!

A sudden blood curdling scream roared beside the group, sending shivers down the spines of anyone unfortunate enough to be nearby.

“Wha-” burst out Twilight, dropping her map in terror as she turned around to confront the culprit.

“Rarity?”

Rarity occupied a small spot on the ground, near the edge of the building. Her pearly white coat was covered in brown splodges, with patches of fur stuck together in a putrid slime. Her extravagant mane had been reduced to unkempt shrubbery, with threads of purple sticking out at every possible angle.

“Bahahahahaha!” snorted Rainbow, clutching her throat with one hoof whilst wiping away a tear with the other.

“You got a little something on your face there, Rarity,” giggled Pinkie, covering her mouth in a futile attempt to conceal her amusement.

Rarity sat motionless, her unblinking eyes focused on a piece of broken glass she held in front of her face. Sweat glistened down her cheeks and her breathing became increasingly rapid.

“I… I’m… ugly.”

“Come on Rarity, you don’t look that bad,” comforted Twilight, extending a hoof to help her friend up.

“I’M HIDEOUS!” wailed Rarity, bursting out into tears. “MY LIFE IS OVER, I’M A MUTANT, I WON’T BE ACCEPTED BACK INTO SOCIETY!”

“No, don’t be ridiculous!” argued Twilight, “You look fine, well… nothing a relaxing bath won’t fix!”

“FROM THIS DAY FORTH, I AM A HERMIT!” declared Rarity between sobs. “I SHALL LIVE IN SOLITUDE, NOPONY DESERVES TO SEE ME LIKE THIS.”

“Dear lord, someone shut that horse up!” demanded Sheldon, covering his ears. “I feel sick and I’m suffering with cephalalgia; tell the horse to have it’s mental breakdown when I recover.”

“I told you, Sheldon, it’s just a side effect,” said Twilight, turning to face the physicist. “It usually wears off around now, just give it a minute or two.”

“This is not some frivolous side effect!” complained Sheldon, rolling over onto his side. “I can practically feel my blood cells being slowly devoured by microscopic invaders as we speak.”

“Aren’t ya’ll forgetting what that Minotaur fella’ gave Sheldon earlier,” said Applejack, dusting off her stetson. “Now, Ah ain’t no expert on these things, but Ah’m sure that didn’t do him any good.”

“Pfft, that was over an hour ago,” replied Rainbow, as trotted over the grounded physicist.

“Hey, Sheldon!” she barked, giving him a light shove with her hooves. “Get up, you’re fine! Stop being a baby and-”

Her sentence was interrupted by a stream of puke spurting down her chest. The vile substance spooled down her hooves, making small puddles on the floor.

“I think I’m dying,” mumbled Sheldon, wiping his mouth with his sleeve. “Someone assure me that I’m not dying.”

“What the hell, Sheldon!?” wailed Rainbow, reeling back in disgust.

“I- I feel… sick,” muttered Sheldon, before collapsing with a thud. His eyes rolled back into his skull, and drool formed at the corners of his mouth.

“Uh, is he going to be alright? Um, I was only wondering because he looks unconscious,” asked Fluttershy.

“Celestia help me,” mouthed Twilight, plunging her face deep into her palm. “Please tell me this isn’t happening.”

“I’LL HAVE TO SELL THE BOUTIQUE, GIVEAWAY MY DEAR OPALESCENCE,” continued Rarity, rambling in the background.

“Eww, I can’t believe he actually did this!” ranted Rainbow, trying her best to shake off the green bile Sheldon had spewed on her.

“So, what’s the plan, Twilight?” asked Applejack.

Twilight remained silent; inhaling deeply every few seconds before exhaling shortly after. If her stress busting techniques were ever useful, they were now.

“Okay,” she finally began. “The woodlands aren’t far off now, once we get to the clearing we’ll set up camp for the night. You’ll have to carry Sheldon.”

“Ah gotcha’ Twi’,” acknowledged Applejack, reaching inside her pouch for her lasso.

“Let’s get going, girls!” declared Twilight, taking the lead. “We’ve had enough setbacks today, we can’t afford to wait around anymore.”

The group agreed, and made their way down the side of the wrecked structure, with Rarity trailing behind. Sheldon rested uneasily on Applejack’s back; locks of rope ran across his torso, securing him just above the cow-pony’s hindquarters. His head bobbed with each step taken, and the tips of his shoes dragged across the edge of the ground.

Today had been a long day, and everypony desired some much needed rest. The last rays of the setting sun glistened off the six ponies as they ventured forth towards the vast forest expanse, towering above in the distance.

* * *

“Hey, um, Sheldon - are you awake yet? If you aren’t, I’m really sorry, and uh, you won’t hear this, so um, I’ll apologize to you again when you wake up… if that’s okay with you.

Sheldon mumbled some incomprehensible gibberish, turning his body away from the distracting voice.

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb you, it’s just - the others have finished setting up the campfire and we’re all having food now, and I know you haven’t eaten anything all day, so, um - I thought you’d probably want to join us…

Sheldon forced his face deeper into the plush, cushioned fabric he laid against. It felt like a sleeping bag; albeit a very small one, probably made exclusively for little girls, if the iron grip it held on his waistline were any indication.

If maybe you weren’t feeling up to it, I could bring something back for you - but, um, I don’t know what you like… if you want anything particular, I could save some for you to eat later…

“No, I’m awake,” grumbled Sheldon finally, rolling over onto his back. Despite his lightheadedness, he took a deep breath and forced his eyes open.

He was greeted by a small yellow horse; the exact one that had been following him around for the past two days. He hardly ever noticed it before, probably because it didn’t talk much.

Oh, hi - I hope you’re feeling better, I’ve been taking care of you for the past few hours. You had a terrible fever, and, um - you collapsed earlier, so I made you some herbal tea and, uh-

“Where are we?” asked Sheldon, analysing his surroundings.

Hundreds of dark, lanky oak trees populated the surrounding forestry. Small birds hopped between branches, gathering twigs for their nest; whilst newborn butterflies emerged from their cocoon, filling the sky with vibrant colors as they took flight for the first time.

The setting of the sun cast a surreal orange glow across richly textured undergrowth, blanketing the ground. Rabbits took refuge behind shrubbery, dashing between cover as if in a battlefield, being bombarded by enemy artillery.

I’m sorry, I don’t know - you’d have to ask Twilight,” replied Fluttershy, pawing the ground guiltily. “Don’t you just love it here, the nature, the sweet little critters - it’s everything I’ve ever dreamed of!

“I’m a physicist, not a hippie,” exclaimed Sheldon, brushing aside the leaves that clung to his clothing as he sat upright. “Dare I ask what we’re having for lunch?”

Oh, well; we've got hay, seasoned hay, spicy hay and a double serving of hay with extra hay-

“What do you have besides hay?”

Oh, uh, you don’t like hay?

“I’ve never tried it and I don’t intend to,” stated Sheldon matter-of-factly, “So returning to my original query, what do you have besides hay?”

Why don’t you try some?” said Fluttershy, insistently. “There’s no harm in trying something new.

“Of course there's harm in trying something new!” objected Sheldon, struggling to unzip his sleeping bag. “That’s why we test out drugs and cosmetics on bunny rabbits.”

... Y-you do what to bunny rabbits?

“We use them to test out potentially harmful products in case they're actually dangerous, which if proven correct, atleast nothing of value was lost,” explained Sheldon, wriggling out of his sleeping bag like a physically impaired snake.

... I- I need to go now,” stammered Fluttershy, tears welling up in the corners of her eyes as she immediately took off down a nearby dirt path.

Once Sheldon had freed himself from the confines of his blanket-based prison, he made his way down the same pathway, following the looming smoke until he reached the campfire.

Dear lord, what a strange horse, no wonder she doesn’t talk much

* * *

“Wow, this grub is delicious!” announced Rainbow, chewing loudly.

“Rainbow, darling, don’t talk whilst you’re eating - it’s very unbecoming, dear,” said Rarity, gently wiping her mouth with a cloth.

“I wonder if Sheldon is okay,” pondered Twilight, leaning closer to the campfire for warmth. “Celestia knows what Hundar put in that stuff, to make him feel like that.”

“He’ll be fine Twi’,” assured Applejack, “Ah’d put twenty bits on him being fit as a fiddle in no time.”

“Ahh, here’s where you’ve all been hiding, good!” said a familiar voice to the side of the campsite.

“Told ya,” smirked Applejack, reaching out for her next serving of hay.

“Now then, let’s get straight to business,” proclaimed Sheldon, as he made for the campfire and sat down, next to the group. “I’ve prepared a number of topics that should appeal to both the advanced and novice conversationalist.”

The ponies eyed each other quizzically as Sheldon continued.

“Should we - as a collective science - extract the DNA of the Turritopsis nutricula, to serve our own childish fantasies of immortality? Discuss.”

“What are you talking about, Sheldon?” asked Twilight.

“Intellectual debates over a campfire are a fundamental aspect to nomadic lore; since we’re here, I concluded we should fully immerse ourselves in the culture.”

“Yeah, I don’t think so,” added Rainbow, as she got up and began to walk to her tent. “That’s my cue to hit the sack, night’ girls.”

“Good idea,” agreed Twilight, rising to her hooves. “I’m awfully tired and we’ve got a lot to do tomorrow - good night everypony.”

“Wait, hang on a minute,” protested Sheldon, “Where am I supposed to sleep?”

“Oh yeah, about that…” began Twilight, stopping midtrack.

“Yes?”

“Well, we kind of had a bet while you were unconscious earlier,” admitted Twilight, sheepishly. “Whoever lost the bet, had to share the tent with you…”

“And who-”

“I lost the bet,” groaned Rainbow, unzipping the entrance to her tent. “You better pray to Celestia that you don’t snore, cus’ if you do we’re gonna have a problem.”

“This is preposterous,” declared Sheldon, folding his arms. “I shall not share my sleeping quarters with a horse; I’m not in debt with the mafia - you can’t just assign an equine to my area of slumber and expect everything to be okay, think of all the hygienic issues!”

“Sleep outside by yourself then,” said Rainbow with a yawn. “Works for me.”

“Good night, Sheldon,” concluded Twilight, entering her own tent. “Try to get some sleep, okay.”

The sound of the last remaining tent’s zip signified the desertion of the camp - leaving Sheldon alone, sitting next to the slowly dimming fire.

This is completely and utterly outrageous, a malevolent act of pure malice that I won’t tolerate

A loud growl from his stomach reminded him, he still hadn’t eaten anything.

This isn’t acceptable, my basic cognitive functions are going to decline at this rate, my nutritional reserves require replenishment

“Psst..”

“What?” said Sheldon, apprehensively scanning the nearby forestry. “Who’s there? Show yourself!”

“Psst! Sheldon, over here!” the voice called out, echoing through an assemblage of darkened bushes.

“H- how do you know my name?” bleated Sheldon uneasily, immediately rising to his feet. “I should warn you, I’ve watched many instructional videos on krav maga!”

The voice sounded eerily familiar, but Sheldon couldn’t quite put his finger on it.

“Settle down, I’m on your side,” the voice assured, “Come over here, there’s something you need to see…”

“Very well, I shall,” conceded Sheldon, cautiously making his way to the bushes. “I should inform you however, if this is indeed a ploy against me - I can scream ‘It’s a trap!’ in Admiral Ackbar’s accent so loud, all authorities within a mile radius will be alerted and you’ll be arrested.”

“Be quiet!” insisted the voice, in a hushed tone. “We need to be discreet about this, don’t wake up any of the others.”

“Well, the fact that you’re advising me to remain unobtrusive confirms that this is some form of nefarious activity,” replied Sheldon, stepping through the shrubbery. “But I digress, my curiosity is piqued.”

The vicinity was shrouded in darkness, leaving Sheldon to navigated the foliage by sense of touch alone. He spent minutes struggling against overbearing greenery and tangled vines - much to the dismay of the mysterious voice.

“Get a move on, Sheldon!” the voice ordered, frustratedly.“I’ve told you already, they’re just vines, you’re not being strangled by a boa constrictor!”

“How would you know?” retorted Sheldon, advancing onward. “You’re wearing night-vision goggles at this very moment, are you?”

“Just keep going,” said the voice, followed by a long sigh.

After much exertion, Sheldon finally reached the woodland’s exit, and pushed forward into a small, softly lit clearing. And he couldn’t believe what he saw.He’d seen a lot of strange thing since he had arrived in Equestria, but this was by far the strangest.

A bulky, candlelit tree stood in the center of the clearing. And upon the tree dangled hundreds of thousands of candy bars, among other things.

Chocolate milkshake, cotton candy, lollipops, candy canes - even jelly beans and gummy bears. An entire childhood fantasy hung from the tree, replacing the leaves entirely.

And at the very top of the tree, sat a peculiar creature. It had the head of equine, but that’s all it had, compared to the horses Sheldon was familiar with.

A deer antler stuck out to the right, and a goat horn to the left. A reptilian tail slithered down the tree’s side, carelessly resting on one of the branches below. The creature glared at Sheldon through yellow, snake-like eyes, and a faint smile emerged upon it’s face.

“Ah, Sheldon - I’ve been expecting you…”

Sheldon collapsed to his knees; his hands shook with violent tremors and his breathing became rapid. He could feel his heartbeat pulsing through his veins.

He knew he had heard that voice before. He mentally kicked himself for his earlier foolishness, how could he not have figured it out sooner...

He looked up at the creature with almost pleading eyes.

“Mister John de Lancie, is that you?”