• Published 9th Nov 2012
  • 14,135 Views, 572 Comments

Dr Sheldon Cooper goes to Equestria - Lancelot



An obsessive physicist gets transported to a world of technicolor equines, and scientific anomalies.

  • ...
108
 572
 14,135

The Virtuous Voyage

“Ugh...” groaned an exasperated unicorn. Her throat was dry, her eyes stung and her head felt like it was on fire. She felt drool clinging to the side of her mouth, and a nauseating ache in her stomach. She was laying face down on a soft, squishy material. The evident taste of sick in her mouth, prompted her to roll over onto her side. Just as she was about to vomit, she realized there wasn't any surface for her to roll on to, and her frail form tumbled off the side of a steep ninety-degree drop.

“Hey girls, look! Twilight's awake!” announced a raspy voice, a few feet away.

Oh, I hope she's feeling better,” replied a softer, slightly less confident voice.

Twilight didn't even have time to scream before she face-planted the cold, hard ground. Her snout produced an unpleasant thump, as it collided with the floor.

“Ah don't think she's feelin' any better, that looked like it hurt somethin' fierce,” observed a southern accent.

Um, we should probably help her or something, she doesn't look too good.”

Twilight reeled herself onto her back, and held a hoof over her face. She wasn't sure if she was trying to halt the blood, gushing out of her nostrils, or covering her mouth to stop herself from being sick. Maybe she was just trying to numb the pain of falling head-first into something very hard.

“Well whatever we do, let's do it quick! She's making a scene as it is,” instructed a posh, upper-class voice. “Everypony is looking at us, they probably think she's some drunk we brought in off the streets.”

Twilight could feel something prodding her chest; it felt smooth and nimble, but it didn't hurt.

Twilight, are you okay? Please, get up.”

“Urgh... no Spike, the library's closed today...” the unicorn mumbled. “Tell them it's my day off...”

Twilight, it's me; Fluttershy,” she squeaked, persisting to lightly poke her friend on the ground. “Please, you have to get up, you're lying on the floor on a train.

“I know that, I jus- WHAT?” Twilight's eyes shot open, and memories from earlier came flooding back. In a sudden fit of hysteria, she sprang upright and scanned her surroundings.

She was situated in the middle of a narrow cab of a train. Mares and Stallions of various race and color, sat on their brown leather seats, gawking at her. She noticed the snug, cushioned bench next to her, that she must have clumsily rolled off when she had awoken.

To her left was Fluttershy, kneeling down beside her. The rest of her friends stood at the opposite end of the passageway, giving her a concerned stare. Albeit everypony in the room was giving her the same bewildered expression.

As if the embarrassment wasn't enough, something else entirely was plaguing her thoughts: A certain theoretical physicist was nowhere in sight.

Panic seeped through her form, and she started hyperventilating. Her eyes twitched, and her lips quivered.

Uh, Twilight, are you oka-

Twilight grabbed Fluttershy by the shoulders and started shaking her furiously, “What happened, where’s Sheldon!?"

“I don’t know, I’m sorry, please stop shouting, you’re scaring me; please let me go,” the pegasus squeaked, her voice barely higher than a whisper.

“Settle down, Twi’,” interjected Applejack. “Sheldon’s fine, he’s making some friends,” she smirked, as she pointed her hoof towards an isolated corner at the back of the cab.

“Oh...” conceded Twilight, as she let go of her friend. Sheldon was sitting at a small table, chatting with a blonde-maned stallion. He was smiling, and he looked like he was enjoying himself.

Twilight exhaled a sigh of relief. Her tightened muscles loosened, and a small contented smile crept across her face.

“Well, thank Celestia for that,” she added. “For a second there I thought you girls had lost him, or Lyra had taken him or something.”

“Hm, it’s funny that you should mention Lyra,” commented Rarity. “She did indeed come over, whilst you were unconscious.”

“Wait, what?” uttered Twilight. “What happened, what did she want?”

“Well, nothing really. She was just passing by, and noticed you lying on the floor,” admitted Rarity. “She felt really bad, and asked if there was anything she could do to help. Obviously, I told her about my current dilemma with Opal, and she offered to return to Ponyville and feed her in my stead.”

I-...she did?” bemused Twilight.

“Indeed, I was quite bewildered by the offer myself,” recalled Rarity. “I told her she didn’t have to, but she insisted she was returning to Ponyville anyway.”

“Huh... that’s odd,” observed Twilight. “Earlier she was chasing us down the avenue, and now she’s apparently offering free favours.”

“I’ll admit I had my suspicions at first, but she seemed like she genuinely wanted to help,” insisted Rarity. “Between you and me, I think she was feeling awfully distraught about her behavior before-hoof.”

“Well... I suppose that makes sense; my book on Equestrian Psychology does suggest that a guilty conscience can bring out the best in certain ponies,” Twilight mused.

“Yes, well, we were just glad she stopped by when she did,” continued Rarity. “Without her help, we’d never have gotten you onto the train in time.”

“Yeah, uh... thanks for that by the way,” acknowledged Twilight, the faintest shade of red emerging from her cheeks.

“Think nothin’ of it, Twi’,” interjected Applejack. “That’s what friends are for.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” beamed Twilight as she strode towards the bench beside her, and sat down.

The rest of her friends did the same. It was going to be a long journey, so the least they could do is make themselves comfortable.

Twilight yawned, as she adjusted the cushion behind her head into a secure position. Her hind legs were outstretched, resting upon a padded leg rest. To her side was a small wooden table, with a collection of magazines.
Twilight considered giving them a look, but decided against it. She was a huge lover of literature, but magazines really weren't her thing. She disagreed with most of it’s contents on a moral level; the way it depicted mares being one of them.

“Pinkie, you stop that right now!” ordered Applejack.

Twilight looked up and followed Applejack’s stern gaze to the other side of the room, where Pinkie hung upside down from the ceiling. Inexplicably, she adorned a black, stealth suit and a pair of night-vision goggles.

“Aww, but I want to know what Sheldon is talking about!” she wailed, loud enough for everyone in the train to hear.

Sheldon looked up from his table in stunned awe. A small pink horse hung inches away from his face. A ghastly odor of candy floss and chocolate emitted from it’s mouth, which was stretched outwards into a cartoony grin.

“Dear lord, get that thing away from me!” the physicist demanded, backing away as far as he could.

The stallion accompanying Sheldon didn’t take kindly to the intrusion either, and folded a nearby newspaper into a cone, before smacking Pinkie on the back of the head.

“Take that you peasant!” he snapped, unleashing another lash of his newspaper.

“Urgh” Pinkie huffed in defeat. Her vantage point compromised, she hopped down onto the floor and made her way back to her seat.

Applejack glared at her, as she reclaimed her chair next to Rainbow Dash, and began casually sipping from her strawberry milkshake again like nothing happened.

Twilight squinted her eyes, deep in thought. She recognised the stallion sitting alongside Sheldon, but she couldn’t quite put a name on him.

“I’m sure I know him from somewhere...” she pondered.

“Do you? Well... i-isn’t that lovely,” Rarity stammered, positioning her mane to cover her face. “Let’s just leave him be, I’m sure he doesn’t want to be disturbed.”

“I guess you’re right...” conceded Twilight, dropping the subject.

* * *

“I’m sorry you had to see that. Us upper-class folk need to be on our guard, with all these filthy commoners around.”

“I’ll say!” agreed Sheldon. “I’ve never been assaulted on public transport before, but like my mom says: there’s a first time for everything.”

“It’s quite a disturbing prospect isn’t it?”

“It is indeed,” replied Sheldon. “Rest assured, once I rise to power, these people will be sterilized.”

“I’ll drink to that!” the stallion chuckled, raising his glass of red wine, in toast. “If only my nobility afforded me such privileges,” he added, before taking a sip from his glass.

“I didn’t quite catch your name?” asked Sheldon.

“Blueblood,” the stallion replied. “Prince Blueblood.”

“Interesting,” observed Sheldon. “I didn’t know aristocrats used the same method of transportation as the working class.”

“Well I don’t usually,” admitted Blueblood. “I’ve been called to attend a foreign affairs meeting with the Griffins in Zaros.”

“That sounds entertaining,” commented Sheldon. “Griffins are my second favourite mythical creature, narrowly beaten by the Ophiotaurus.”

“Hardly,” croaked Blueblood, waving a hoof dismissively. “Griffins are pitiful creatures, why Celestia bothers with them, I’ll never know...”

“Ah, I believe I encountered Celestia earlier,” exclaimed Sheldon. “She’s the reason I’m required to pursue this irrelevant escapade.”

“Really, what did she ask of you?” quired Blueblood.

“I’m to accompany that group of horses over there,” explained Sheldon, pointing towards the two benches in the middle of the cab, “And destroy a sacred amulet, because of some superstitious nonsense, or something.”

Prince Blueblood looked over Sheldon’s shoulder, and straight at the group of ponies in question. His eyes narrowed into a puzzled frown as they landed on Pinkie.

“Isn’t that the pink pony that harassed us earlier?” he asked, taking another sip from his glass.

“Probably,” bemused Sheldon. “I try not to look at them that often, their faces annoy me.”

“Understandable,” Blueblood added, as he continued to survey the rest of the ponies. After giving the group a short once over, he locked eyes with a white unicorn, who was also staring back at him.

“By Celestia...” he muttered. “It’s that unicorn from the Gala.”

“Hm?”

“That one, with the purple mane,” Blueblood pointed out, gesturing towards Rarity, who immediately turned away and stared out the window.

“Oh, her,” sneered Sheldon. “Let me tell you, in the short time I’ve known her, she has to be one the most querulous and inane travel companions I’ve ever met.”

“I don’t doubt it,” affirmed Blueblood. “We met once at a social event at Canterlot; she began endlessly following me around like a hungry parasprite with no consideration.”

“I hate it when people do that,” admitted Sheldon. “Once, I buying groceries from the supermarket and this storeclerk started following me around, asking me if I ‘needed any help’, the entire ordeal was very distressing.”

“What did you do about it?” asked Blueblood.

“I called the police.”

“Hmph,” snorted Blueblood. “Anyway, at the climax of what was a dreary, lackluster evening, she experienced a mental breakdown and began to target yours truly, as a victim of unwarranted verbal abuse and foul language.”

“Really?” gasped Sheldon. “I experienced something similar with her earlier today.”

“Oh?”

“We was on our way here, engaging in casual conversation and suddenly she just burst out crying, no forewarning or anything.”

“Well then, that’s certainly something,” Blueblood commented. “I don’t envy you, Mr.....?

“Sheldon Cooper,” explained the physicist. “Dr Sheldon Cooper.”

“Well, you have my sympathies Doctor Cooper,” acknowledged Blueblood. “I wouldn’t survive another five minutes in her company, ever again.”

“My personal hypothesis is that her behaviour stems from deep emotional issues she hasn’t come to terms with,” explained Sheldon.

“That seems like a logical outcome to jump to,” agreed Blueblood.

Unexpectedly, Sheldon felt something prodding his shoulder. It felt rubbery, but his fears were alleviated when he turned around to see Twilight standing beside him.

“Hey, Sheldon!” she beamed. “I know you’re having fun making friends, but this is our stop, we’ve got to get going.”

Sheldon looked through the window, where a small sign was situated on a concrete, cylinder block.

-Welcome to Zaros-
-All ponies prepare the appropriate credentials and proceed to the Visitor Center-
-If you fail to check in within the allotted time, you WILL be arrested and submitted to the Equestrian Emissary for deportation-

“Urgh, this place looks disgusting,” noted Sheldon, analyzing the surrounding neighbourhood.

Run down, poorly built huts scattered the area. Windows were boarded up and white paint had gradually chipped off the exterior, leaving nothing more than an empty shell.

Heaps upon heaps of rubbish, blew freely across the littered streets and pathways. Repurposed strands of old rope had been strung together to make a washing line, which displayed dozens of old, dirty clothes.

Copious amounts of graffiti covered the various walls and alleyways, while disgusting sewerage oozed out of drainage pipes, unattended.

Blueblood chuckled as he took a long sip from his glass.

“Well, of course it does. This is the Shanty town after all, surely you’re not getting off here are you?”

“Well, I better not be,” answered Sheldon, glaring at Twilight with a cautious frown.

Twilight gave the most exaggerated, optimistic smile she could conjure.

“Okay, I know this isn’t ideal, but let’s look on the bright side...”

“No, I’m not setting a single foot in this rancid hellhole,” announced Sheldon. “I fear I’ll be afflicted with toxoplasmosis before I’ve even left the train.”

“Or assaulted by some poverty stricken felon,” added Blueblood.

“Urgh, you’re not helping!” blurted Twilight, directing her anger at the blonde-maned stallion.

“I doubt you’re getting off at this stop, then?” asked Sheldon, to which Blueblood burst out laughing.

“Celestia help me, of course not!” he exclaimed. “I’m going to Zaros’ Capital city; Algaz Peak.”

Twilight knew what question was coming so she answered in advance.

“No, Sheldon. We can’t get off at Algaz instead, because it’s too far away,” she explained, through gritted teeth. “We’re going to the Mazorak Caves, and that means we have to pass through here, and trek cross-country through the wilderness.”

Sheldon shuddered. Never before had he heard the words ‘trek’ and ‘wilderness’ in the same sentence, and it terrified him. Not only that, but he’d have to venture through a disease-ridden breeding ground of bacteria, just to get there.

“Come on, Sheldon!” Twilight stated. “We’re all waiting for you.”

“Don’t do it, Doctor Cooper,” advised Blueblood. “Never give in to the demands of the provincials.”

“Excuse me, but who the hay are you!?” snapped Twilight.

“I’ll tell you who the hay I am,” scowled Blueblood. “I’m the one and only Prince Blueblood, Duke of Vladimir, Chairman of the Deliberative Assembly of Canterlot and descendant of-

“Yeah okay, pretend I never asked,” Twilight deadpanned, as she redirected her attention to Sheldon. “Listen, I promise we won’t be here long, we’re just passing through, we’ll be in-and-out before you know it!”

“Very well, I concede,” reasoned Sheldon. “But let me warn you, I have the National accident Helpline on speed dial; if I develop any symptoms I’m suing you for every cent you own!”

“It’s a deal!” affirmed Twilight. She didn’t really understand half of what Sheldon just said, but then again she didn’t have to.

Sheldon stood up from his table and started to make his way to the exit, but he stopped mid-track. He spun around and faced Blueblood, inquisitively.

“So, would you like to exchange Skype names or email addresses?”

“What?” replied Blueblood.

“Yes, yes, you’re right. I apologize,” stammered Sheldon. “Social protocol dictates, we should wait at least forty-eight hours first.”

“Yes, of course... whatever you say,” snorted Blueblood, waving a hoof dismissively. “Weren’t you leaving?”

Sheldon nodded and turned around, rejoining the rest of the group by the entrance.

“Farewell,” concluded Sheldon, as he exited the train and ventured out, into the damp, putrid cesspit waiting outside.

“Good luck, Doctor Cooper,” proclaimed Blueblood. “Try not to die.”