• Published 9th Nov 2012
  • 14,131 Views, 572 Comments

Dr Sheldon Cooper goes to Equestria - Lancelot



An obsessive physicist gets transported to a world of technicolor equines, and scientific anomalies.

  • ...
108
 572
 14,131

The Precarious Proposition

A dilapidated metropolis of overturned garbage cans and derelict buildings, strewn out as far as the eye could see. Many of the ill-fated griffins who called this area home, lay spread out across the ground, holding their families close; not a single golden bit coin to their name. Pieces of old cardboard has been placed upon the cold, filthy concrete of the sidewalk, providing a shimmer of comfort and a place to rest, come nightfall.

“Well girls, here we are...” announced Twilight, her apparent prior confidence, fading away by the second.

“Regrettably so,” quipped Rarity. “Can we please get a move on, my hooves feel slimy and that foul aroma is very off-putting.”

“Yeah, this place is super stinky!” remarked Pinkie, covering her snout. “You can almost taste it, and it doesn’t taste good!”

“Geez, you girls really need to toughen up a little,” snorted Rainbow Dash, hovering above. “It’s not that bad; then again, I am pretty awesome, I probably don’t notice it.”

“Rainbow, can ya’ll go one minute without tootin’ yer own horn please,” said Applejack. “Remember, we’re here to stop Discord; this isn’t ‘The Rainbow Dash Show’.”

“Oh please, if you had the high levels of awesome that I have, then of course you’d show it off,” retorted Rainbow Dash.

“Incorrect,” interjected Sheldon. “Awesome is an adjective, and therefore cannot be measured using modern scientific method, nor does evidence suggest it can be calculated to attain varying degrees or levels.”

“Yeah, you tell her Sheldon!” chuckled Applejack.

“And ‘The Rainbow Dash Show’ sounds like a subpar children’s sitcom from the 90’s.”

Rainbow’s face contorted in frustration and she propped her wings upright, ready to lunge at her target.

“You are so annoying!” she snapped, her inflated frown stretching out into a dark grimace. “Why don’t you ever shut up?”

“Because I enjoy listening to myself, it’s one of the great joys of my life,” explained Sheldon. “Although it occurs to me you may have been employing a rhetorical device rendering my response moot.”

Dash’s eyes narrowed and she growled through gritted teeth.

Applejack recognised the all too familiar expression of fuming rage, present on her friend’s face and decided to intervene, lest the situation turn ugly.

She adjusted her hat before stepping in front of Sheldon, nudging the physicist behind her.

“Let it go, Rainbow,” she ordered, the back of her mind consciously reminding her she’d just put herself in the firing line.

“Why should I!?” she snapped, gradually inching closer to her friend. “Ever since he got here, he’s been nothing but snotty and condescending, to me, to you; to everypony!”

Oh no, a-are you two fighting? Please stop fighting...” stammered Fluttershy, cowering behind her pink mane.

“Yeah, but you’ve been nothin’ but a big gosh darn bully to him, ever since he got here!”

“I can attest to that claim,” added Sheldon.

Rainbow turned towards the physicist and scowled, but her line of sight was once again broken by Applejack.

“Ever since we found him, all you’ve been doin’ is teasing him, insulting him, and jus’ acting rude in general.”

“W-well yeah, but he said things too!” protested Dash. “Outside the Everfree, he called me a-”

“He’d jus’ woken up in a completely different world, full’ah ponies he ain’t familiar with!” argued Applejack. “Course’ he’s gonna feel a little darn intimidated, and say things Ah’m sure he didn’t mean.”

“Oh, I think you’re mistaken,” exclaimed Sheldon. “I mean everything I say, otherwise the significance of saying something in the first place would become invalid.”

Applejack sighed deeply. She wanted to spin around and yell at the physicist to shut up, but that really wouldn’t help her argument. Although, she did find it humorously ironic that fighting a battle on Sheldon’s behalf usually involved fighting Sheldon too.

“See!?” wailed Rainbow. “How can you defend this guy, he’s nuts!”

“Maybe he is, Ah don’t care!” replied Applejack. “Mah point is; stop tryin’ to make it out like he’s here to hurt everypony, cus’ he ain’t!”

Rainbow Dash said nothing. Apart from the light flapping of her wings she remained motionless, her eyes darting back and forth between Applejack and Sheldon. She knew deep down she’d given the physicist a hard time, but she didn’t quite know why.

“Listen, sugarcube,” began Applejack, her tone of voice much more subtle and soothing than before. “The princesses have faith in him, maybe you should too.”

Rainbow huffed as she crossed her arms and pouted. “Yeah sure, whatever,” she muttered, shrugging her shoulders.

“Ahem,” coughed Twilight, drawing everyone’s attention. “I’d like to remind you all that we’re still behind schedule, we don’t have time to stand around.”

“I second that,” agreed Rarity. “The sooner we depart, the better. This place doesn’t strike me as somewhere I’d feel comfortable to remain, after dark.”

“If you say so,” said Rainbow, her wings snapping back into her sides as she plummeted down towards the ground, her hooves skidding to a halt beside the group.

Twilight’s horn became engulfed in a bright, purple aura as she reached inside her saddlebag and levitated out a neatly folded map. She laid the map, outstretched across the damp, filthy footpath to her side and motioned everyone to come closer.

“Okay girls, we’re just beside the train station, so that means we must be here,” declared Twilight, pointing at the area specified on the map. “Now, if I’m correct; we need to get here, which means we’ll have to circle around here and follow the alleyway up here, until we reach the woodlands.”

“Sounds simple enough,” said Applejack.

“It is,” admitted Twilight. “So girls, any questions?”

“I have a question,” announced Sheldon.

“Yes, Sheldon?”

“It’s the twenty-first century, why are you still using a physical map?”

“Okay, let me rephrase the subject,” deadpanned Twilight. “Any serious questions?”

“Excuse me?” objected Sheldon. “Are you inferring that my inquiry wasn’t genuine?”

“No, I was implying it. You then inferred it,” smirked Twilight.

“Oh no, don’t you even consider challenging my resolve with logic, horse. Such antagonistic act of passive-aggression would be exceptionally foolish and will be met with uncompromising retribution.”

Twilight erupted into a fit of giggles; which only dismayed the disgruntled physicist further.

“wej qaStaHvIS jIH, 'ach Hagh.”

“What?” replied Twilight, in between chokes of laughter.

“That’s Klingon for: You laugh not at me, but yourself.”

“Oh, your species speak languages other than Equestrian?” asked Twilight, her ears perked up with genuine curiosity.

“What, Equestrian? Is that some sort of ambiguous urban slang?”

“No, silly. It’s the language we’re speaking right now,” replied Twilight. “I thought theoretical physicists were supposed to be smart,” she chuckled.

“Horse, you are playing with forces beyond your comprehension,” replied Sheldon, a frown etched across his features. “My knowledge of the universe spans several generations and continues to grow with each passing day, you are in no position to make remarks about intelligence when the basic equine thought process almost exclusively consists of ‘eat grass and defecate’.”

Uh, Twilight, w-who is-

“I was only kidding, no need to get so defensive,” said Twilight, turning aside to face her shy, timid friend.

“Yes, Fluttershy?”

Sweat glistened down the shaking, yellow pegasus. Her hoof extended outwards, pointing at the corner of a dark alleyway.

Who is t-that?” she squeaked, her heart pounding against her chest like a caged bird.

The group followed Fluttershy’s hoof and glanced at the corner in question.

It was dark. Very dark. An old abandoned quill store loomed above, blocking any sunlight from gracing it’s surface.

The only source of light available was a nearby defective lamp post. The malfunctioning light bulb within, flickered uncontrollable like a beacon in the night.

But that spark of fluctuating light was all they needed to see... it.

It stood up on it’s hind legs, leaning against the wall. Two gigantic curved horns emerged from it’s forehead, curling backwards into the creature's neck.

It’s arms were folded against it’s muscular chest, as it grinned menacingly at the group.

Twilight gulped, but put on a brave face as she stepped forwards. “Hello sir, can I help you?”

Unfortunately, Twilight’s words rung empty, as the creature had already disappeared. His figure had mysteriously vanished in-between the lamp post’s flickers; like a flash of lightning he simply ceased to exist.

“Well, that was creepy,” exclaimed Rainbow Dash.

“No kiddin’,” murmured Applejack, scanning the surrounding alleyways, checking for any sign of movement.

“Don’t worry, it doesn’t matter,” said Twilight, turning back to face her friends. “We’ve waited around long enough, let’s get a move on.”

Y-yes, can we please go now?,” quivered Fluttershy.

The group nodded and began their way down the stoned sidewalk, with Sheldon trailing behind. Aside from idle small talk nopony said a word, and instead kept to themselves. With each step they took in the dirty, depressing town, the more their enthusiasm faded, and their confidence diminished.

It had finally dawned on them, the significance of the task the Princess had bestowed upon each of them. This wasn’t going to be a walk in the park.

The group continued down the sidewalk, following the road signs to their destination, the town center; the heart of darkness.

* * *

Old news stands and garbage cans, along with hundreds of discarded miscellaneous items, lay floating atop an emerald ocean of toxic water and industrial waste.

A contaminated river of poisonous chemicals, old furniture and dirt had flooded through the town square, consuming everything and everyone that stood in it’s way.

Twilight knew what happened of course. She remembered reading about it in the newspaper, months ago...

A terrible accident has occurred at the Weather Factory in Cloudsdale, a witness described an explosion from the side of the plant, with potentially hazardous substances leaking from the opening.

Cloudsdale authorities are working relentlessly to safely relocate the Factory and prevent any harmful compounds from coming into contact with the land, below.

Evidently, that didn’t quite work out as planned. The pegasi wanted to dump the remnants of the Factory in the Ocean to the South, but they didn’t make it in time. A second explosion ruptured from the cloud structure, sending it plummeting towards the ground, where a small unsuspecting town in Zaros lay waiting.

From that day onwards, the Griffins imposed a strict quarantine across the town and sealed it off from the rest of Zaros. Equestrian civil rights activists protested vigorously, but they held no authority in Griffin territory. From the perspective of Zaros, the Weather Factory Incident was just another problem to quickly shove aside, hide under the carpet and ignore.

“Oh my, I knew she looked familiar, of course -- I recognise her now!”

“Huh?” said Twilight, shaking her head clear of her thoughts, shifting her gaze to her friend.

“Recognised who, Rarity?”

The fashionista stood beside an old, decaying brick wall, her eyes analyzing a torn poster nailed to the surface.

“It’s Roxy! Well, that’s her show-name anyway, I don’t think she ever told me her real name...”

Twilight turned around and strolled to her friend’s side. She eyed the poster curiously.
It certainly stood out. Compared to the dull, faded gray of everything else in the town, it was probably the first thing they’d seen that actually had real color. It was an advertisement for an upcoming musical entitled ‘Sunleth Waterscape’.

The cover depicted a female griffin wearing a beautiful scarlet dress, standing in the spotlight, upon a glamorous marble stage.

“She always comes to my boutique, ordering the latest silkware from my vintage line. Really high-quality custom pieces, every miniscule detail had to be just perfect,” recalled Rarity with a smile.

“I bet that must have been tough,” chuckled Twilight.

“You’d think so, but not with Roxy,” replied Rarity. “We share such similarities when it comes to fashion, our opinions are virtually identical. All I have to do is make something I’d personally love to wear, and chances are she’d love it too.”

“Really? That seems pretty convenient.”

“It was, very convenient in fact,” giggled Rarity.

“So, does Roxy still come around now and then?”

Rarity’s expression drooped, and she stared down at the ground longingly.

No...”

“I- I’m sorry,” stuttered Twilight. “That was a stupid question, considering what happened here -- forget I said anything, sorry!”

“Come on, let’s get a move on,” sighed Rarity, turning away from the wall. “This place is depressing.”

“Okay...” replied Twilight, walking alongside Rarity to rejoin the group, who were sitting in a circle, next to a charred fire hydrant.

“Come on AJ, just give up! You’ve already lost,” smirked Rainbow Dash through gritted teeth.

Her voice quavered strenuously and sweat glistened off her cyan coat but she kept her cool. She was very competitive and hoof-wrestling was a pretty big deal to her, and her ego.

“Ah don’t think so, but if it makes ya’ feel better, you believe that sugarcube,” retorted Applejack, leaning forwards over the makeshift box they’d used as table, to better angle herself against her opponent.

“Just remember, whoever emerges the victor of this pointless physical dispute, the true winner is myself,” announced Sheldon.

“Yeah right,” groaned Rainbow, struggling against the force of Applejack’s hoof. “If you reckon you’re so tough, come face me after I beat AJ, here.”

“A truly magnanimous offer but I decline. Unlike some, I don’t need validation from lesser minds.”

“Urgh, I’ll show you who the lesser m-

~SLAM~

Eeep,” squeaked Fluttershy, tightly wrapping her wings around herself as she crawled into a ball.

“Ha, Ah won!” declared Applejack, standing upright above her defeated adversary.

A dumbstruck Rainbow Dash looked down at her hoof, woefully resting on the improvised table.

“T-that’s not fair!” she quickly objected. “Sheldon was distracting me!”

“I did no such thing,” stated Sheldon.

Ahem,” coughed Twilight, obnoxiously. “Break’s over girls, let’s get going.”

“What’s the point anymore,” whined Rainbow, grabbing a nearby rock and throwing it into the green, toxic lake blocking their path.

The small stone sizzled erratically, slowly sinking deeper until it eventually dissolved into oblivion.

“We can’t get over that -- you guys I mean, me and Flutters could just fly over, I guess.”

“Hmm...” mused Twilight, bringing a hoof to her chin, deep in concentration.

Her pupils widened as she carefully analyzed her surroundings. This element of problem solving did bring back a lot of nostalgia from when she was a filly, at Princess Celestia’s School For Gifted Unicorns.

She was explicitly taught that whenever an obstacle hindered your progress, there’s always a solution within hoof’s length. Finding that solution is the hard part, though.

“I know! Let’s all make a raft and sail over, like pirates!”

“If only it was that simple, Pinkie,” replied Applejack, removing her hat to swat away the flies, buzzing nearby.

“I think I’ve got it,” announced Twilight, withdrawing her gaze from the noxious pit, blocking their route.

The group looked up at the unicorn, attentively.
“See that building back there, at the very end? The one next to that old clock tower.”

“You mean the collapsed building, toppled on it’s side, that’s floating on the edge of the waterway?” snorted Rainbow Dash. “Yeah, I see it, it’s kinda hard not to.”

“I’m pretty sure I can use my magic to teleport us onto the side, well, theoretically that is.”

“Now Twi’ ya’ll know I’m not one fer fancy words, what do you mean ‘theoretically’?” asked Applejack, a concerned frown etched across her face.

“She’s clarifying that her method is relating to, or based on a specific scientific theory which considering the speculation required to determine the outcome, is often unadvised in practical experiments or situations.”

“Thank you, Sheldon,” added Twilight, rolling her eyes. “That’s not perhaps how I would have worded it, but yeah. I think I can get us across.”

“You think you can get us across?” accused Rainbow. “What do you mean you think you can get us across, what could go wrong?”

“Well...” began Twilight, avoiding Dash’s scrutinous stare. “It is a considerable distance... If my magical essence realizes it’s too far as I’m performing the spell, it’ll go ahead and teleport us to the closest it can get, which in this case would be that big pool of acid we’re trying to avoid.”

“You mean to say, if this doesn’t work out we could DIE?” gasped Rarity

But .. but .. I don’t want to die,” sputtered Fluttershy, looking up from the ground.

“Listen, let me explain!” urged Twilight, waving her hooves around frantically.

“Ah’m not sure bout’ this Twi’,” interjected Applejack. “This sounds mighty dangerous.”

“I know, but trust me! The chances of that happening are virtually non-exis-

“Well, now that right there sounds rather unsafe.”

Everypony’s ears perked up instantaneously. The last time they checked, nobody in their group had a ridiculously gruff, deep voice like that.

“Who the hay was tha-

“Hunchback Hundar, at your service.”

It’s that monster from earlier!” screamed Fluttershy, hastily clambering to hooves, and rushing behind Rainbow Dash to take shelter.

Twilight flinched; her muscles locked into place and she stood motionless, gawking at the enormous being, towering over herself and her friends.

Minotaurs were hardly uncommon in Equestria, but seeing them in person still invoked a strange sense of oddity. They just seemed so out of place, and this particular minotaur took that to a whole new level.

As it’s name implied, it slouched forwards, exposing the gigantic lump that was believed to be it’s upper back. The fearsome horns that emerged from it’s forehead, curled backwards into eccentric loop, the pointy tips digging into the back of the creature’s neck.

The minotaur wore a brown, ragged, extremely spacious trenchcoat with custom knitted pouches for added space. Upon its shoulder, the creature sported a black, chunky backpack, with small blue satchels sewn onto the sides for even more space.

Atop it’s snout the minotaur adorned a pair of pink, heart shaped glasses and an iron ring through it’s left nostril.

“Why are you all looking at me like that, do I have something on my face?” jested the minotaur, before bursting out laughing at his own joke.

His laughter eventually progressed into violent coughing, and he held his throat with one arm, whilst pounding his chest with another.

“That was a good one,” the creature bemused to himself, after recovering. “I need to save that one for later, funny stuff.”

Twilight took a deep breath and took a step forwards, summoning forth all the courage she could muster.

“H-hi... my name is Twilight Sparkle.”

“Hello Twilight Sparkle,” stated Hundar blandly, bending forwards to scratch an itch on his rear.

With the minotaur seemingly not hostile, Twilight calmed down a little. She breathed a sigh of relief and spoke up.

“Hi Hundar, it’s a pleasure to meet you. These are my friends,” she beamed, gesturing towards the group “This is Applejack, That’s Rainbow Dash, the pony behind her is Fluttershy and tha-

“Who is that guy? The tall squishy one, looks kinda like a praying mantis.”

“Excuse me?” interjected Sheldon. “You’ve been present for less than a minute and you’ve already desensitized yourself to childish ‘trash talk’ and racial slurs, which by the way, was a completely inaccurate representation of invertebrate-kind, not to mention the arthropod phylum in general.”

A taken aback Hundar said nothing, and instead looked over towards Twilight with an incredibly confused frown.

“This guy for real?”

“Yeah, we wish he wasn’t though,” answered Rainbow Dash, sarcastically.

“Am I ‘for real’?” repeated an irritated Sheldon. “I should be asking you, if you’re ‘for real’. The last time I checked minotaurs were notoriously regarded as strong, fierce noble creatures, as clearly projected by the Cretan Labyrinth in Greek Mythology. I can hardly picture you navigating Daedalus’ ancient maze, without stopping prematurely to use your asthma inhaler, or take a snack break.”

“Celestia help me Sheldon, shut up!” snapped Twilight, her cheeks flushed red. “Sorry about that, he’s like that sometimes...”

“I see you ponies have your hooves full then, I get it,” chortled Hundar, reaching out to wipe away the saliva that had surfaced from the corners of his mouth. “It’s a good thing I got here when I did then. You girls are definitely in need of the services, I provide.”

“Yeah, I was going to ask... have you been following us Hundar,” asked Twilight. “It’s just, we all saw you earlier and it kinda freaked everpony out; no offence.”

“Yes.”

“Um, okay,” began Twilight. “Why exactly? What’s so special about us?”

Hundar glared at the unicorn, his bland, consistent facial expression didn’t alter for a second. Either the muscles in his face weren’t functioning correctly, or he had the best damn poker face to ever grace the shores of Equestria.

“Not often we get ponies round’ these parts,” he admitted. “Especially ponies who look like they’re worth a bag of bits or two. It’d be bad business to not follow em’, see what they’re up to.”

“So... you followed us for business, are you merchant or something?” asked Twilight.

“Well, I suppose my profession would fall under that criteria, yes.”

“Darling, why on earth would you peruse this desolate place, looking for customers?” said Rarity, eyeing the minotaur’s baggage quizzically. “Surely you’d find far more success in more populated areas, like Canterlot.”

“No,” stated Hundar, plainly.

“O-oh... okay then, fair enough,” stammered Rarity, awkwardly.

“So what do you sell?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Hmph,” smirked Hundar, as he undone the two buttons that sealed his trenchcoat. He forcefully grabbed the sides and yanked them open, revealing his rather substantial collection of... exquisite goods.

“Take your pick.”

Heaps of plastic, see through bags housed every illegal substance you could imagine. The sickly scent of grinded leaves and exotic powders breezed through the confines of the minotaur’s coat, assaulting the senses to the point of being overwhelming.

“Oh no, just no.” objected a disgusted Twilight, her complexion turning pale from the undesirable fragrance. “I’m sorry Hundar, but I think you’ve misjudged us. We’re not that kind of ponies, and we’re certainly not into th-

“I’ll take that bag, the one with the white stuff in it!” exclaimed Pinkie.

Before Twilight knew what was happening, a small bag of bits and an ominous white packet had exchanged hoof.

“Pleasure doing business with ya’.”

“Pinkie, what do you think you’re doing!?” shouted Twilight. “Do you even know what this stuff is?”

“Nope!” beamed Pinkie, joyfully. “But how will I find out if I don’t try it!”

“Urgh, Pinkie you’re an idiot sometimes,” sighed Rainbow Dash.

“Right back at ya, Dashie!” giggled Pinkie, bringing her recently purchased product to her face, to closely examine.

“It doesn’t matter, I’m sorry Hundar but Pinkie isn’t buying this, can she please have a refund?” groaned Twilight, her horn illuminating a bright purple as she used her magic to pull away the bag Pinkie was desperately clutching on to.

“Hey, what gives Twilight?” argued Pinkie, snatching her packet back, as it attempted to levitate away.

“Pinkie! This is illegal! You’re not having it!” snapped Twilight, the purple aura tugging back the illicit bag, away from her friend.

“Nuh uh!” retorted Pinkie, snagging it back towards herself.

“C’mon Pinkie, stop being so stubborn!” said Twilight, yanking it away from Pinkie’s clutches.

Inevitably, the exerted force proved too much for the flimsy bag to withstand, and it suddenly burst, sending it’s contents flying outwards.

A hazy white mist, briefly obscured everypony’s vision, followed by a lot of coughing.

Once the temporary smog had subsided, the group finally regained their senses and looked around. Being the massive, hulking giant that he was, the first thing they saw was Hundar, except something was different...

His usual bland expression was missing, instead he looked utterly horrified. He twitched nervously, his eyes fixated on Sheldon.

Speaking of Sheldon, he was wheezing. An erratic spasm caused his head to jerk sideways, inexplicably. Only when the group saw his face, did they understand why.

“Celestia have mercy on us...” mouthed Rainbow Dash, quietly.

Like a snowman on Christmas, Sheldon’s face was completely covered white. And unfortunately for the group, it wasn’t snow.

The physicist’s pupils bloated wide, and thin, red blood vessels arose across his eyeballs. His chest rose up and down rapidly as he hyperventilated.

“No refunds!” Hundar blurted, before turning around and running as far as his old, weathered legs would take him.