• Published 5th Nov 2012
  • 5,834 Views, 109 Comments

Love and Music Theory - Hilltopper2



PonyEarth universe. A brony wakes as Princess Cadance.

  • ...
6
 109
 5,834

Dominant Chord

Chapter One: Dominant Chord

Thorsday, October Fish, 2012

This day is going to be perfect . . .

I drew closer to being awake, as Winamp grabbed the “This Day Aria” from my pool of seven thousand tracks on my computer. I occasionally put the media player up and turn off the monitor if I have trouble sleeping.

The kind of day of which I've dreamed since I was small . . .

My barely awake mind picked up on it and I sort of dreamed the whole musical number in surprising detail. I shivered slightly and shifted my body a bit under the blankets. Something left me uncomfortable, so I rolled over onto my back to get up . . .

. . . and winced as I caught something underneath me. I bolted upright, trying to free the trapped limb.

Everyone will gather round, say I look lovely in my gown . . .

I flinched at the purple to pink gradient feathers in my peripheral vision, attached to limbs I'd never had before.

“So,” I said, testing my voice and finding a pleasant and teasingly familiar mezzosoprano. “It happened to me as well, huh?”

I did a quick inventory. My arms ended in hooves: Check. Pink coat: Check. The golden shoes kind of gave me an idea of which pony I'd become. “Lucky me, I'm royalty.”

But they don't know that I have fooled them all!

I knew about all the people waking up as ponies, of course. Heck, I'd used my dad's Facebook account to look at the walls for the souls who became Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, and Equestria Daily was covering the more visible occurrences. Like Lauren Faust and Tara Strong as the diarchs asking the Elements of Harmony to come to New York.

“Well, I doubt they'd turn away another Princess, and Fluttershy has Shining Armor with her,” I said and felt a gnawing surge of jealousy. “Whoa.” I blinked at the force of the surge.

I shook my head, feeling the slightly odd balance. 'Right,' I thought. 'Horn and long mane.' I dropped to the floor, landing steadily on my hooves. My left wing brushed a stack of CD cases and sent them clattering to the floor. In response, I folded my wings. The clutter of my room, while navigable as a human, was only marginally so as a pretty, pretty pony princess.

“Ow, my masculine pride. Or what there was of it.” Before I left my room, I tapped the power button on the computer monitor with my horn, bringing up the screen so I could see to shut it off. From how uncomfortable I was trying to do that, I picked up a pen in my mouth and used the keyboard shortcuts.

That finished, I picked my way past overflowing book cases and through my open door into the hall of the apartment I shared with my elderly parents. I stepped into the bathroom, thankful for the knobs and levers designed with heavily-arthritic seniors in mind. I had to rear up and put my fore hooves on either side of the sink to look in the mirror.

'Yup,' I thought. 'I'm Cadance, all right. Lovely eyes that could swallow your soul, tricolor mane, with nary a hair out of place, oddly enough.' I felt a bit of a surge of pride. “Well, if I have to be a pony princess, at least I'm pretty.

I then went to check on my parent's bedroom, to see if they were up already, or if I needed to wait in the living room so as not to startle them too badly. I entered the room and the scent of vanilla and spices filled my nostrils. I did see two sleeping forms in their bed, but the equine shapes in blue and yellow told a different tale. I crept as quietly as gold shoes on linoleum would let me.

My parents had been turned into the Cakes. And yet, the peaceful smiles and the way they were cuddled into each other was simply adorable and heartwarming. A deep sense of satisfaction filled me.

'So that's what Cadance's special talent feels like when it's fulfilled, hm?' Smiling, I crept to the living room and plopped down on the seldom-used couch. Normally I would have gotten breakfast before trying to see what was on TV, but apparently Cadance had had a big dinner the night before. I just wasn't hungry.

I imagined the remotes floating over to me, and was pleased when they did. I marveled at adapting so easily to a new form, and a new form of manipulation. I turned on the TV, and then the cable box and began channel surfing.

And promptly stopped. I'd forgotten what a wasteland daytime television was, and I really didn't feel like seeing the election shouting matches.

“ . . . President Obama, it's his fault we have ponies. This ad paid for by PAPA.”

“Really? Existential crisis on our hooves and some skinhead yahoos are electioneering?” A bit of bile seemed to come up in my throat as I accidentally released a Houyhnhnm-worthy epithet.

“Who-who's there?” I heard Mrs. Cake's voice call querulously from my parents' bedroom.

I got up and made my way down the hall. “Mom, Dad, it's me, Eljay.”

I stepped into their room and the two earth ponies in the bed were as far from each other as they could be and still be on the bed. I very slowly walked towards them.

“Mrs. Cake” gasped. “So lovely.” Right then, I knew that my mother was behind the blue mare's eyes.

I smiled and what I intended as a chuckle came out a giggle. “Thanks, Mom.” I turned to address the yellow-orange stallion. “Dad? I told you guys about this the day before yesterday. I . . . just didn't expect for all three of us to get hit at once, if at all.”

“I can hear.” Dad said in numb shock. “My back doesn't hurt.”

“And you're missing your fingers.” I teased gently. “Here, let me help you two out of bed.”

“When I get you two down, stay on all fours and imagine you're walking on tiptoes and your middle fingers.” I advised as I began helping Mom down first. “Walking follows the same limb order as crawling.”

After both of my parents were standing wobbly on their hooves, and staggering slightly around the room. I broach an uncomfortable subject. “I need to get to New York.”

My father frowned, putting a far more serious look on Mister Cake's face than I ever saw in the show. “Why?”

I paused for a moment, collecting my thoughts. “Last week, when this whole thing started with people turning into ponies, the creator of the show and the actress who plays the main character got turned into the two most powerful ponies in the setting, and asked for the people who got turned into the six main characters to come to New York to try to help set things right.”

I bit my lip. “I'm potentially the third most powerful pony. I kind of think they might want me on hoof.” I lit my horn and grabbed the cell phone from my mother's night stand.

“But how are you going to afford it, dear?” Mom asked, and the scent of vanilla and cardamom grew stronger.

“I'm just not going to make my car payment. I've just practically lost my job, anyway.” I pouted a bit. Suddenly, I was in an awkward bakery-scented hug from both sides. I basked in the love and support, and I felt better. 'Hugs are great like that.'

“Right. Well since I need to go, like, very soon to catch either a bus or train . . .” I trail off as I try to figure out how to open the flip phone and dial my sister for help. “I'm calling Kay to see if she can keep an eye on you two while I'm in New York.” I wiggle one of my hooves. “These likely aren't very good at opening packages intended for fingers. You guys are going to have to use your mouths for a lot more daily tasks.” My magic fumbled the phone open and I grabbed one of dad's pens from his shirt pocket on the bedpost.

I really hoped my sister would believe me.