• Published 14th Oct 2012
  • 1,144 Views, 19 Comments

Changeling Dinky - nicktaylor



Dinky, Derpy's daughter, has a dark secret, which Derpy is yet to find out.

  • ...
27
 19
 1,144

Changeling Dinky

Changeling Dinky

Written by Nick Taylor

Idea by Orritall

Prologue

"3274, are you ready?"
"Yes, but should we really be doing this?"
"Of course. We need her, but she will be useless if raised by a derped pony."


Chapter 1

"Are you coming, Dinky?" Called Derpy.

"I'll be down in a minute!" Replied Dinky.

Derpy and Dinky were off to the Annual Nightmare Night Festival, which was being held in Ponyville.
Dinky would usually run off with her friends and go candy grabbing with her friends, while Derpy was just hanging around, having a good time. Dinky's friends were out of town, visiting family instead, so Derpy said she could stay with her for the night.

"Alright, you ready?" Derpy asked Dinky.

"Yeah, lets go!" Dinky said, excited.

They both headed off to the festival, not expecting what fun to come of the night.

"How far is it? I'm used to being with friends, I never paid attention to the walk, and my hooves are hurting." Dinky said.

"It's not too far from here. Oh, I got an idea! Hold on!" Derpy said.

Derpy grabbed Dinky, then using her wings, flew up into the air.

"There, is this better?" Derpy asked.

"Weeeeeeeee!" Dinky yelled, ignoring the question.

Derpy smiled, then continued off.


Chapter 2

Derpy and Dinky had been at the Nightmare Night Festival for a few hours now, and Dinky had quite some fun, and almost filled her bag with candy. Derpy had mostly just followed her around, played a few games, and talked to some people she recognized. She was going to say hi to Rainbow Dash, but she didn't feel comfortable talking to her after what happened at town hall.

"Seems like you did everything there is to do here, do you want to go home now?" Derpy asked.

"LOOK AT ALL THE CANDY I GOT! SEE IT? SEE IT?" Dinky said, rather loudly, using her Unicorn powers to show Derpy.

"That sure is lots, Now, do you want to go home?" Derpy repeated.

"Oh, right. Sure, I guess." Dinky answered.

They started walking, and just as they were about to leave, Dinky said:

"I have to use the washroom, can I go?"

"Of course, I'll wait here." Derpy answered.

So Dinky went into the washroom, and Derpy waited by the door. Two rather odd-looking pony walked into the same washroom Dinky was in, carrying a big bag. Derpy thought nothing of it. About 5 minutes later, there was a loud...

"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Derpy jumped, startled, as with all the other ponies around her. She recognized the voice as Dinky's. Derpy burst through the entrance, ran through the hallway, then ran through the door to the Mare's room, to see Dinky standing there, as if nothing had happened at all.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Derpy said frantically.

"I'm fine, is something wrong?" Dinky said, completely calm.

"I heard a scream in here."

"It's okay, mother. I just saw a spider."

Dinky never called her mother.
Something seemed off with Dinky's voice.
Then she thought, where did those two other ponies go?

"Lets go, mother." Dinky said in a stern voice.

"Alright, lets go then."

When they walked out the door, Derpy saw the pony with the bag leave out the back door. Her bag seemed to have something heavy in it. As the pony with the bag went out the door, Derpy saw a slight movement in the bag. She decided not to think anything of it.

Something seemed weird, still.
Really, really weird.


Chapter 3

A few years had passed by, nothing had really changed, and Dinky was growing up. Except Dinky wasn't so excited about Nightmare Night anymore. It seems reasonable, seeing as through the years the festival got smaller and smaller, with less and less things to do.
Dinky had gotten into Magic School a few months ago, and was acing everything, top of the class. She started using her magic much more often, which pleased Derpy. Only thing is, she wondered why her magic aura was green, unlike any other ponies. But Derpy was used to being a bit different than the common rabble, so she didn't make a deal of it.

Derpy had become really attached to Dinky, she found it so amazing watching her grow up from a little filly to the mare she is now.

Dinky was asleep, in her room. She was tossing and turning When she eventually fell asleep, she had a dream of a black, kind of ugly Alicorn looking thing. It started talking. Dinky realized it was talking to her.

"Do you remember me?"

"Who am I?" Dinky asked.

"You are Subject 3274."

Dinky then realized she was not in a dream.
She was actually seeing this, a magic induced vision. She had learned this in magic school.

"Who are you?" Dinky asked again.

"You should know this. I am Chrysalis, queen of the Changelings."

"You have completed your mission, 3274. You are free to go now." Chrysalis said.

"Mission? Free to go? What are you talking about?" Dinky questioned.

Chrysalis smiled.

Dinky then remembered.

"I'm not Dinky. I'm not even a pony. I'm one of you, aren't I?"

"Right you are, 3274."

"I-I... I've been living with Derpy so long I completely forgot everything."

"Now, come back home, 3274. Your friends miss you."

"I... I can't. I can't just leave Derpy. I'll stay like this, forever."

"Are you saying you don't want to come back home, where you belong?"

"I don't belong there anymore. I will stay here and protect Derpy with my life, I'm not leaving."

Dinky, or, Subject 3274, started to break into tears.

"You stupid runt. I knew you were weak. You got the job done, I'll give you credit for that, but you always have been weak, and always will be." Chrysalis said in an angry voice.

"Goodbye, 3274. Forever, Don't try to come back." Chrysalis bellowed, as the vision faded.

Dinky was back in her room.


Chapter 4

Dinky walked downstairs, to see that Derpy had made breakfast and it was already on the table.

"Good morning Dinky! How was your sleep?"

"Bad." Dinky responded.

Derpy stopped, asking "Why is that"

"Bad dream, that's it."

"Okay, well, you can eat now."

"Also, Dinky, your friends came by earlier seeing if you wanted to go play with them.

"Not now."

Dinky sat down, and ate her breakfast with Derpy. Dinky tried eating a bit faster than Derpy, and ended up finishing before Derpy.

"Thanks, mom." Dinky said.

"You're welcome." Derpy replied.

Dinky stood up, and closed all the blinds in the dining room. Derpy asked why she was doing that, and Dinky said:

"Stay here, you'll see."

Dinky went upstairs into the bathroom, closed the door, and looked in the mirror. She always had this one spell she could see, but was too afraid to use it, because whenever she started to, she would start feeling funny. She used it.
A loud noise came, along with a large pillar of green fire. She opened her eyes, then looked in the mirror. Herself, Subject 3274, scared herself. She didn't even know if she was a she, he, both, or neither.

3274 walked downstairs, but not around the corner, so Derpy couldn't see her. She spoke:

"I'm going to-" she stopped. her voice was different.

"What was that Dinky?" Derpy asked, curiously.

"I'm going to walk around the corner, don't scream, or freak out, just stay sitting, alright?" 3274 said.

"Whats wrong with your voice?" Derpy asked.

"Just do it."

"Alrighty then"

3274 walked around the corner.

"Whats up- AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH DINKY?" Derpy screamed.

"CALM DOWN MOM! IT'S ME! DINKY!"

"YOU'RE NOT MY DAUGHTER!"

"Sit down, please. I'll explain everything."

"I'M NOT SITTING DOWN AS LONG AS YOU'RE-"

3274 changed form into Dinky.

"What the..." Derpy said slowly.

"Let me explain." Dinky said.

"Do you remember Chrysalis, the Queen of the Changelings? At Cadence's wedding?"

"I do." Derpy said, slowly tearing up.

"I was sent on a mission by her, the Changelings needed her."

"Bu-but why?" Derpy said, crying now.

"I'm not sure. I wasn't exactly liked by her."

"So it was you all along?" Derpy was choking from the tears now.

"Yes, it was me. Well, remember Nightmare Night that one time, when I said I saw a spider, after Dinky screamed?"

"Those other ponies, that movement in the bag, THAT WAS MY DINKY! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO SOMEPONY?" Derpy screamed.

"DERPY! I have always been a Changeling, and unfortunately i always will be. But I never stopped loving you. I always have, and always will. You did a great job raising me, for the longest time I had completely forgot I was a Changeling up until last night."

Derpy tried to talk, but couldn't. She was covered in tears and still choking from them.

"I guess you want me to go now." Dinky said quietly, starting to tear up.

She made for the door, but then Derpy mustered a small

"No."

"Huh?" Dinky asked, confused.

After a minute of hard breathing, Derpy finally said:

"I raised you, just like I would've Dinky. I put my life into you, I can't let you go."



__________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! thanks for reading the story, surprisingly it only took around 2 hours to write! Please, leave your feedback in the comments and give the story a like/dislike, depending on what you think! Thanks to Orritall for the idea.

Changeling Dinky Copyright © Nick Taylor

Comments ( 17 )

interesting... very original subversion of the trope. We shall see how you did. :trixieshiftright:

edit: done reading now. it was... alright. What happened to the real dinky and why did changeling dinky get over being a changeling so fast.

Interesting...

My major complaint is that you could have fleshed-out the story a lot more. When Derpy asked Dinky to stay, supposedly the emotional climax of the story, there wasn't any impact that I was feeling at all. This is due possibly because I was just read about the Dinky replacement less than a minute before the "touching" scene. You pretty much glossed over the years of bonding between Derpy and changeling Dinky, which should be considered the bulk of the story. :pinkiesad2:

And I wouldn't call each scene a chapter either.

What happen to Dinky? :derpyderp1: It's as if you forgotten about the real Dinky. Right from the beginning, I was begging for a back story on why the Changeling queen want Dinky in the first place, and I only grown more agitated towards the end. No, not forgotten; I dare say that you purposely ignored the real Dinky.

But those issues are forgiven, since I believe that this is a rough outline for a more polished story that you'll be writing. With an fascinating idea like this, it deserves to be more.

Also, I find that being in engrossed in what I write helps give meat to the bone without feeling like I'm expending more effort.

1436289 Later on I think I'll write a longer, more detailed story. I only wrote this in a couple hours, cause I was bored and wanted to write something. I am working on another fic with someone else, which will take a real long time, but yeah, thanks for the feedback, I like the idea of this and might re-write it.

1436391 Like I said to Nima55, I only spent around 2 hours on this, but i see what you mean, and will give me something to work off of when/if (hopefully) I get the time to write a way more detailed story. Thanks for the feedback, it really helps.

Interesting concept, but poorly executed. You say that this was written in two hours - well, it shows. The grammar is poorly done, and despite being only 1500 words, it flows in a artificial manner. What could have been a single emotional scene bookended (perhaps with a few flashbacks tossed in from the perspective of both Derpy and Dinky) is instead the skeleton of what seems like a much larger story.

Wow, talk about your dark tales as this one explains a lot.:derpyderp1:

Nice job on the overall idea of the story.

Someday I hope for a sequel spotlighting other ponies reactions to the news.

nice story

1437325 Yeah, that's what happens when you try to write at 3:00 AM XD

1437502 I might get around to make a more detailed one, I actually like the concept of this.

1437606 Thanks, glad you like it :D

:fluttercry:
Wow, that's kinda... :raritycry: Feel-inducing...

Good job. All the mustaches for you!
:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

Very good story... and intresting. I enjoyed to read:derpytongue2:

1438513 With the changelings. I didn't put much thought into this, I had just based it off of an idea i got from a friend. Wrote this from about 1:00 AM to 3:00 AM XD

1439684 I was thinkign about re-writing it.

Login or register to comment