• Published 29th Dec 2011
  • 1,150 Views, 3 Comments

Home from the sky - -Hidden Identity-



A last sharing of memories with Rainbow Dash

  • ...
1
 3
 1,150

Chapter 1

A long time ago it was theorized that Pegasus ponies could not fly very far into the sky, as they would fall out of it and into the black void of the night. Later on the theory was proven to be incorrect and misleading as brave fliers decided to test the limits of the horizon. Turns out that they could fly as far as they wanted to, and as high as they could before become too tired to fly any farther, and they still never hit the edge of the sky. It is for them that the sky stretches far away, just out of reach from your outstretched hoof. You were one who always needed to try and reach that impossible point; a pony who always needed to break the standing limit and set the next one. Just like the sailors out on the sea, chasing the stars that guide them over a cold and desolate wasteland of water, or the climbers who never look at the peak that they are close to summiting, but the next one over; the one just out of reach.

You always knew what was needed in those times when we were lost. It was not just for us, but for you as well; as you knew there was no plan, but there could be. It was one of the many things that made you our friend. The good times we had, eh? What memories you left us. Tell me, would you linger on memories if our positions were switched? It’s always good to remember those who are lost to us in the best light, but light cannot exist without a dark shade behind it, and it is no different with memories; we can’t remember you in life without remembering your death. A last reminder of the best and worst times. I’m sure that you would choose to remember than lose. After all, you were and are our friend.

When Rarity passed on, I remember that you were the first to speak at the funeral, and the last to leave. You managed to get through your entire speech without breaking down. Its funny, I remember that you had the rest of us in tears, and yet you had no trouble speaking. I always wondered what you said to her as you sat by her grave long after ever other pony had gone. Rather than choke out the sorrow through quickly getting through the ceremony, you thought that it wouldn’t be fair to her if she weren’t laid to rest in a proper manner, with no exceptions to any detail.

It’s hard to believe that you are really gone. You were always there for us, very real in all of our lives. More so now than ever, I suspect. Just after you died, your grandchildren kept asking me where you were, and when you would come back. It was open casket, just like you asked for, and one of the grandchildren asked you to wake up, that it wasn’t funny anymore, and that he was scared. Speaking of which, I remember that you demanded that we make a big deal of your passing, but we went against your demands on that piece. You made such a big impact in each of our lives that we all felt it wouldn’t be acceptable to not at least try to repay the un-payable debt that you left us. Don’t feel bad about that, it’s a good debt to live with. The new captain of the Wonderbolts said a couple of words about you. Told us all how you two grew up together, and that you got her out of her mail-carrier job to being a famous athlete. Only you Dash, only you. You are the only one who could pull that off.

You once said that it was important to reflect on what you have done which wronged others, and to relearn how you could have prevented it tenfold times over again. I don’t know where I was going with that, but its times like these that you remember the strangest things without realizing why.

At least you died doing what you loved. I suppose it would be wrong to point out that we did tell you not to try that last trick. But you knew that you could do it, that you could pull it off, regardless of age or lack of the strength you once had. You blacked out as soon as you landed, so I don’t know if you know the result of your efforts. Well, guess what? You pulled it off. Your last act in life was setting a new, and probably unbreakable, record. Unfortunately it killed also killed you. The stress was just too much, and you died about an hour after you fell into unconsciousness. So, you never knew that you succeeded. Well, I’m telling you now, whether you can hear me or not.

It’s getting dark, so I’d better be off. Graveyard isn’t the cheeriest place at night, even if you are here. Knowing that you are here does help though. We got you a place on a hill, next to the stream that runs along the fence. You overlook the eastern area of the cemetery, so you’ll also be able to look over at Rarity; she’s down there sort of in the middle, and to the right. You’ll be able to find her, should keep you company when I can’t come around. I had best be running along, but I just want to leave you with another last happy thought, you two won’t be alone for long. We’re coming.
Oh, I almost forgot, we got you an inscription on your gravestone. Want to hear what it says? Of course you do. It says this: Here lies Rainbow Dash, the loyalist of friends, and the greatest flier to ever grace the skies. She now returns to the ground as the sailor, home from the sea; and the climber, home from the hills.

Goodbye Rainbow Dash. Just remember, we’re coming.

Comments ( 3 )

Great story but who is talking to rainbow dash I think its pinkie pie

That's so sad. Is that Twilight Sparkle?:twilightsheepish:

94092 I believe its applejack because at the end she said I best be goin but the style disproves is I dunno it's a imagination to the reader like how this is in the future because it stated strength you once had so they are older

Login or register to comment