• Published 10th Dec 2023
  • 143 Views, 2 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Skyborne Heights - Zanyad



A Fallout Equestria fanfic about an earth pony called Nightfly who's trying to find her place in the world.

  • ...
 2
 143

Chapter 2

"Someday I'll learn how to use it. Someday I'll save someone's life with it." The thought echoed in my mind as I gazed down at the old, worn pistol holstered at my side. Still shaking from fear I put the gun in my saddlebag. I can’t keep carrying it with my mouth.

The wasteland had a way of making every tool a weapon. But a gun is what you need. There’s really nothing to add. You need to be able to defend yourself so you could stay alive just to continue this endless journey here until you die, one way or the other.

I continued walking, the worn pistol with me providing little comfort in the vast emptiness of the wasteland. The desolation seemed to amplify the feeling of vulnerability that had settled within me.

I thought that the gun would’ve given me more comfort. But it’s making me feel even more defenseless.

Yet, with each step, a determination ignites within — a promise to adapt, to learn, and to navigate the challenges that awaited on this solitary journey. The wasteland may strip away the illusion of safety, but within its harsh embrace, there exists an opportunity for growth and the discovery of inner strength.

And so, I continue walking, embracing the vulnerability and the potential it held for transformation in the heart of the broken world.

After walking for another eternity a silhouette emerged from the dust. Another lone pony? She sits next to some kinds of ruins. She’s alone. Just like me. I decide to walk towards her. Maybe she’d know where Skyborne Heights is? I’ve heard that it is a land of pegasi. And maybe she doesn't know, but I won’t know unless I ask, right? Besides, I really don’t want to keep traveling alone. It’s way too scary and dangerous. And I REALLY want someone right by my side to face the dangers with me. Just like my mother used to be…

When I get closer I see the fear in her. The subtle movements, the ‘watching around for any dangers all of the time’. She’s clearly afraid. Just like me…
Silently, I settle by her side and take a closer look. She’s a light green pegasus with a long, almost white mane. She looks so pretty with her light blue eyes shining in the dark.

“Are you okay? Why are you staring at me?” She says with her eyes widened. I sense her trying to be calm, but I clearly see that she’s on the alert. She looks around her trying to figure out what to do. Oh no… I’m still staring at her. That’s not really a good first impression… She’s going to think that I’m crazy! She’ll never want to team up with me!

“Yeah… I was just… Never mind”, I try to save myself from the awkward situation.

“What is your name?” I ask after she doesn't respond.

“Whisper.” She looks at the ground.

“You don’t seem to have a saddle bag. Don’t you have any stuff with you?” I ask, and she shakes her head. “Hey, listen. I can help you”, I say.

“Somepony helped me once by giving something for me when I had nothing. It wasn’t like they had a lot of stuff. Nopony has anything extra these days. But I think I could still help you, right?”

She looks at me and her mouth twists into a smile. “Really?” I open my saddlebag and say:”Yeah.”

“Thank you so much… uh…”

“Nightfly”, I tell.

“Thank you so much, Nightfly!”
I start to get stuff from my bag. “Maybe it would be easier if we'd just keep it in my saddlebag”, I tell her.

“You're right”, Whisper says.

“Have you been alone for long?” I decide to ask.

“I'm not sure, I guess pretty long.”

“Have you had any other ponies with you? What happened to them?”

“I don't remember, I've been alone for a while, I guess.”

“I understand… I haven't been alone… I used to travel with my mother, but she got sick”, I tell.

“I’m sorry. I haven't seen my parents for ages. I actually only remember my mother.”

“I’ve never met my father. I'm actually going to go look for him at Skyborne Heights.”
Whisper stops. “I'm from there! I'm from Skyborne Heights!”

“You are? Where is it?” I ask quickly

“I don't know”, Whisper says.

“What do you mean you don't know?”

“I fell down. And just stayed here.”

“Fell down?” I'm not sure what she means.

“It's up there, somewhere.”

“Over the clouds?” I ask.

“Exactly. It's better than on the ground. There's no dust, no slavery no nothing bad!”

“That sounds too good to be true… Why didn't you go back there?”

“I didn't know how to. I was too young to fly back so high. Then I got lost and didn't find it anymore.”

“Is it not on the maps?”

“Not on the regular ones.”

“Then how do you find there?”

“I have no idea.” Then we keep walking. Walking toward the unknown, only hope that something would come our way and lead us to Skyborne Heights. At least neither of us needs to be alone anymore.

I walk by her side wanting to ask a ton more questions, but I try not to ask them all at once. I talk too much. Way too much. And that’s not necessarily good here in the wastelands.

I take a look at her cutie mark. It’s a falling feather. “How did you get your cutie mark?” I ask.

“I got it because I was able to sneak behind ponies very quietly. I suppose it means I’m good at stealing? That’s not really a good thing. I haven’t even been able to use it much. I don’t like stealing from others. Though I think in the wasteland it shouldn't be like that. You don’t survive by being kind. I know that!”

“Yeah, I get it”, I say. “I wouldn’t want to steal from others either.”

“I just haven't gotten myself into stealing yet…” Whisper says.

“How did you get yours?” she asks. I stop. How am I supposed to tell her? “I do not have one.”

“You don’t? Isn’t there anything you’re good at?”

“I guess not…” I say, those words hurting my soul even more when it’s said out loud.

“Let’s keep going, Whisper”, I say and another question comes to my mind.

“If we really have no idea where Skyborne Heights is, where are we even going? Don’t you have any idea where it is?” I ask. Do I even have a map with me? I don’t recall Aurora giving me one. Or do I?

I check on my saddlebag as Whisper says:”I think it’s up the mountains. It’s up there somewhere.”

“Okay, do you remember anything when you fell?” I ask.

“I remember a forest. Oh, I also walked past some castle ruins. I think it was called Castle of the Two Sisters.

“That’s good! It’s here!”

“What do you mean?” Whisper asks.

“Is here”, I point it on a map with my fronthoove. Looks like she did give me a map after all. Thank you!

“I found a map and then I found Castle of the Two Sisters on the map!” I tell, trying to hold it with my hooves, but Whisper takes it with her wings. “Thanks”, I say.

“One more question… Is there a way for an earth pony to get there? I remember hearing that it’s really high up, even over the clouds.” I say hoping for her to prove me wrong. Whisper turns her head slowly towards me.

“Speaking of that. I really don’t think so.”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment