• Published 9th Dec 2023
  • 94 Views, 1 Comments

Something Greater - TheLazyCyberpony



The awe of moonlight. A desolate Shack. An unassuming mare. What does all this have in common? It all corelates in the story of a mysterious calling of lunar origin. If Aurora can answer this call, she can reopen mysteries long forgotten and buried.

  • ...
 1
 94

Awoken Memories

The trot back to her stoop was daunting. Just putting one hoof in front of another was a trial. Aurora’s nerves were on high alert. Tunnel vision had hindered her sight, and a ringing sound in her ears hindered her hearing. She walked forward up the hill to her shack, catching it taking a sun bath. The early morning wind and noises had no calming effect on Aurora’s dashing mind. Aurora was greatly taken aback by her inexplicable vision. She had no focus, her mind refusing to center. She had to take a moment to sit. With her eyes closed, she hurriedly remembered all she had seen, fruitlessly trying to piece it all together. She questioned her destiny, wondering how and why this had happened to her. Knowing that she was only burning time, Aurora knew she had to put her mind at ease. She returned to her forward journey, passing the daisies and dahlias she had in her front yard. The flowers sparked a memory of her and her mother planting them, back before the never-ending cycle she knew her life had become. As always, she pushed those feelings aside and continued to her front yard. Opening her elderly door, a little bit of stress she had been carrying faded away. She took a moment to look around her abode, realizing how much she had overlooked in her usual day. The history of the house hit her like a wave. Aurora’s heart made itself known. Despite her attitude of self-isolation, she realized all she wanted was a guide. She thought of her parents, long gone now. A tear dropped from her face, seeping into her deep blue fur. She wanted nothing more than to see them one more time, to hear a lullaby from her mother, to help cook with her father.



“Wh-why did you leave me…” Aurora’s face contorted into a hurtful frown, tears flowing at a more aggressive pace. She was in an inner battle for the legacy of her parents. To love them and cherish her memory, or to move on from the ones who had left her. She thought back to a waning summer’s day. The cotton candy clouds in the sky sat motionless. Only a light breeze decided to show its face that day. Beside her sat her mother, A tall and stalwart mare, she was coated with an ice blue fur leading to white accents at the hooves. Her voice was as sweet as candy, and a feeling of welcoming warmth hugged all she interacted with. Aurora sat calmly in her lap. Her mother gently played with Aurora's greenish-gray mane. "Mom, what's beyond the forest?" Her mother's face noticeably shifted to a questioning appearance, before returning to its usually comforting smile.



"Things far greater than your little mind should worry about, stardust.” Her mother spoke calmly.



Aurora pondered further, “But it seems like just a big forest, I wanna explore.” Aurora was once a curious child, but her older self regarded that attitude as ignorance to the safety of home. Her mother, not wanting to reveal things incomprehensible to the mind of a young filly, ended the subject with subtle force.



“It doesn’t matter, you’re safe here.” Aurora knew to ponder no further, but the look on her face saddened Aurora's mom. Letting out a sigh undetectable to Aurora, her mother continued, “I bet your dad is all finished with your favorite meal!" Aurora's mother possessed the skill of making anything sound exciting, like an undiscovered treasure. Parallel to what her mother had said, her father’s deep voice sprung out from her lively home.



"Come on you two, food's ready!" Aurora's eyes lit up like a neon sign. Her mother giggled softly, helping her daughter up from the soft grass.



"Welp, you heard him, let’s go eat!" Aurora shook her head rapidly up and down. Aurora looked lovingly into her mother's eyes. Aurora's mother placed a hoof around her daughter and guided her into their pleasant residence. After entering the stark wooden door, the memory faded. She realized the irony that delving into her memory produced. She was now more despondent than before, and less motivated to leave. She wanted to stay here, in the comfort of her own mind, but a voice inside her echoed forward in her mind.



“Keep going, Aurora, you can do this.” Aurora did not know if this was a foggy reminiscence or a frail attempt at self-motivation, but she decided she would listen in. Wiping her drying tears, she pushed forward. Aurora realized she had little in the way of survival gear, but she would make do with what she possessed in front of her. Grabbing a deep brown flask, a bag of assorted foods, and a light gray coat for protection, she prepared to venture off. Exiting her aged home, she trekked down. The light chirp of birds aided by the sweep of the wind into her ears helped to calm her nerves. After departing down the hill leading up to her house, she stopped for a second, taking the time to look back. The Sloped tan roof, well-made wooden walls, combined with a dazzling oak trim seemed to call her to stay. But she knew her new ambitions and would stick to them. Motioning a respectful bow to the house, she ventured further down the path. The foreboding trees seemed to curve inwards eerily. Of all the times she viewed the forest, it never looked so hostile. Despite this, her resolve was now set in stone. Using the affection she carried for her parents, and how proud she thought they would be of her, she pushed on, out of the clearing and into the unknown…

Comments ( 1 )

There are going to be more than just two chapters in this story, right?

Login or register to comment