• Published 3rd Sep 2023
  • 443 Views, 2 Comments

A Farasian Fever - _Sugarplum_



A tale of romance in a far off land

  • ...
 2
 443

Prologue: The Good Fight

This is the story of a pony named Camellia Callow. She was unicorn who lived in Canterlot, the capital city of the harmonious nation of Equestria. She worked in one of the finest schools in the country and donated often to charity: the epitome of kindness and generosity. Miss Callow was always sure of herself and her place in life. That is, until the city became abuzz with news of a new and foreign land.

Newspapers in all the largest cities told of the latest news from the castle. Her Royal Highness, Queen Celestia has decreed that Equestria will extend its hoof to aid Farasi, a previously untamed land in the Far East. There was even an exclusive interview from the eternal sun, herself.

~~~

My dear little ponies, it is with a tender heart that I implore a few kind souls to lend a hoof to those in need in the nation of Farasi. They are in dire need of friendship in these trying times.

The second coming of Nightmare Moon left the already-arid landscape in further in disarray. I hereby request that a brave select few from each major city embark on a mission to strengthen the inhabitants. Go forth and spread Harmony to those who will accept it.

~~~

Camellia’s heart bled for these foreign ponies as she clutched the newspaper with her magical aura. Her expression faltered as she looked at the images that were provided on the page. Black and white photos of a dry landscape with very few plants, cloaked ponies with sad faces… it was all making the unicorn feel quite sorry for these creatures.

“Someone should do something,” she said to herself. I should do something. I can help these poor ponies have a better quality of life.

At the bottom of the article was a recruitment banner of the EAG, the Equestrian Auxiliary Guard. It depicted an armored mare standing proudly in front of the nation’s flag. The EAG slogan was plastered beneath the image.
‘Equestria Needs YOU’

Emboldened by the idea of being a hero for Her Majesty, Camellia eagerly made her way to the recruitment center.

“I’m going to make a difference!” the young mare cheered quietly as she galloped towards her future.


The announcement had went out two months ago and now the time was finally here. It was late at night as Lieutenant ‘Inky’ Quillfeather paced back and forth on the airship docks of Canterlot. The glorious sun wouldn’t kiss the sky for two more hours, at least. The middle aged mare was never a hard sleeper but she couldn’t say the same for her crew. She grumbled to herself as she briefly looked out at the open sea of clouds before facing back towards civilization. The military mare was awaiting the arrival of her platoon.

Her soldiers. Tch. She scoffed as she thought of them. A bunch of foolhardy foals, she felt. A proper guard should be grizzled from active duty, fighting for her country but instead, she had a bunch of rookies under her command.

Granted, there were hardly any real guards in the nation anymore. Equestria was in an era of peace, thanks to the efforts of Her Majesty. Queen Celestia gave word to all dispatches that this mission would not be dangerous. She said that the foreigners known as ‘Farasians’ were of no threat. This was simply a relief mission, to deliver Equestrian hospitality to the unfortunate folks there.

Despite being told to relax, Quillfeather couldn’t shake her nerves. She recalled the tales told by her grandmother. Un-harmonized nations are full of dangerous creatures who will not always listen to our ideals.

Her grandmother had learned this lesson when she was deployed in Griffonstone, in the time before the alliance. A group of rebellious griffins had ambushed her. Inky could clearly envision the scars on her granny’s face if she closed her eyes. Her beautiful face had been clawed and her horn was broken. Grandma Inkwell was still alive, but she was unable to perform magic properly ever since then…

The sound of several ponies approaching brought the lieutenant back out of her own thoughts. Quillfeather straightened herself up and stood proudly as she watched the recruits file in. A small squadron of about eighteen half-awake mares lined up in front of her. They looked eager for whatever adventure awaited them.

The lieutenant’s voice rang clear and strong as she addressed her underlings. “Look alive, foals,” the older mare teased, “I know nopony likes to be up before the sun but we need to be in order to catch daylight when we reach Farasi.”

She briefly glared at some faces in the crowd as she heard yawns and groans. “As I was saying… Today begins your official duties as proper guardsmares! We will ride the AS Starcatcher into the unknown and deliver the blessings of Her Majesty.” She began to pace again as she spoke. “This is not a vacation, We are there to bestow aid to those in need. That being said, we must still keep our guard up. There will be no unnecessary fraternizing with the locals, is that understood?”

“Yes, Ma’am,” the soldiers said in unison.

“Foreign creatures may not understand our methods but we will spread Harmony or die trying, is that understood?”

“Yes, Ma’am!”

“Wait, die?” said one voice, who was promptly ignored.

“Are you little fillies ready to become some Faust-damned heroes?”

“YES MA’AM!”

“Then let’s move out!” ordered Lieutenant Quillfeather.

Every guardsmare present filed onto the airship. These were the ponies who would bring the joys of Equestria to a new world. These were the ones who would bravely face any challenges that come there way.

The soldiers eagerly chatted amongst each other as they wondered what awaited them in the new world. Would they be welcomed immediately or would they have to force battle the unknown, such as times long past. Everything was uncertain but that made it all the more exciting.

Private Callow was not going to exhaust herself by gossiping like some little foal. She rested during the long ride upon the vast sea that is the open sky. By the time she would awaken, she would be ready to step onto the soil of Farasi.

Author's Note:

Trying my hand at making a new story

9/4: minor edits made

Comments ( 2 )

There isn't much here, but what's here seems good.

Bring them friendship. But absolutely no fraternizing! :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment