• Published 13th Aug 2023
  • 2,956 Views, 155 Comments

Clothes make the Mare - Applefai



Rarity has a secret, but is unsure if she should come out.

  • ...
16
 155
 2,956

Rarity's Requiem

Rarity stares at herself in the mirror as she sighs solemnly, she hangs up her gown from Cadence's wedding and she closes all the blinds in her house.

Looking back into the mirror, Rarity envelopes herself in a shroud of green fire as she spreads her wings and sighs. "I was hoping to tell them, but then she had to show up," Rarity says to herself as she touches her reflection.

It had been many moons since she came to Ponyville, she had made many friends during that time and had made a name for herself as a seamstress. Her heart aches knowing how she had to deceive her parents and her little sister who was born shortly after she was adopted. She leans into her reflection and closes her eyes. "I'm going to tell them, I don't care what will happen," she says to herself as a knock at her door startles her and she dons her disguise once again.

"Yes, come in," she replied to the knock.

"Rarity, do you think the changelings will come back?" Sweetie Belle asked, poking her head in the door with her ears folded down to the sides of her head.

Rarity could feel the fear in her sister's voice, taste it even. She lowered her ears as Sweetie Belle came up and hugged her. "I can't say, darling. I hope not, but you never know, but if they do, I'll protect you," Rarity said as she held onto her sister.

"Really?" Sweetie Belle asked, calming down a bit.

"Really," Rarity confirmed as she booped her sister's muzzle, eliciting a chuckle out of the little white unicorn with cotton candy hair.

"Thanks, Rarity, love you, sis," Sweetie Belle said as she nuzzled her head against Rarity's chest.

Rarity felt a wave of guilt wash over her, having to keep this secret from her sister for so long. She yearns to tell her but fears it would break her heart, not only that but severely damage the trust the two of them share. "I love you too, Sweetie Belle," Rarity replied as she kissed her on the forehead.

"Now, go play with your friends, I have a few orders to fill and I need to be alone to concentrate," Rarity said as Sweetie Belle trotted off, going towards Sweet Apple Acres.

Rarity sighs as she watches Sweetie Belle run off from her window before closing the blinds again and locking the door.

She drops her disguise as she starts producing silk, she had always used it to make her creations, adding a bit of herself into the design. She starts sewing, using the silk she had just produced to make a cravat for one of her upper-crust clients. Once she is done she places the finished product in a box and stamps it, ready to send it to Canterlot.

Donning her disguise once more, Rarity takes the box to the post office and sends it on its way. As she turned to leave, she bumped into Twilight with a letter held aloft in her magic aura. Surprised to see her here, Rarity struck up a conversation.

"Twilight, darling, whatever are you doing here, I thought you'd have Spike deliver that letter?" The alabaster unicorn asked, curiously.

Giving a smile of understanding, Twilight giggled as she handed the letter to Derpy for delivery. "Normally I would, but Spike is away at Canterlot for a Power Ponies convention for the weekend," Twilight answered.

"Ah, I see Rarity replied as she lowered her head, an idea coming to her. 'Maybe if I talk to my friends one-on-one I can see if they are open-minded, but it has to be unanimous,' Rarity thought to herself as she continued to chew the fat with Twilight.

"You know, Twilight, we should catch up just you and I, why don't you meet me at the café tomorrow for some coffee?" Rarity asked, extending a warm invite to her lavender friend.

"I'd love to, but why just me, you're not getting gossipy are you?" Twilight asked jokingly as she raised an eyebrow.

Rarity let out a chortle as she asked the question. "Goodness, no, I just want to discuss some things with you in private, please lower your eyebrow, you look like Aj when she's grilling somepony to see if they're lying," Rarity said as Twilight started laughing.

"I guess I do, I guess I just picked that up, " Twilight said while she laughed with her friend.

As the two walked out, they talked about the time they should meet, eventually settling to meet at noon.

After settling on a time, Rarity went back home and started cooking supper for her and Sweetie Belle, she had developed a taste for physical food along with the emotions and had learned how to cook quite well.

She chops up some potatoes and proceeds to put them on the stove to boil as she mixes cream of broccoli soup and cheese in a separate pot and brings it to a shimmer, melting the cheese as she adds some spices.

Once the potatoes are down, she pours them into the pot with the cheese and soup and lets it continue to simmer until Sweetie Belle returns home.

"Hey, I'm home," Sweetie Belle calls out as she enters the house, Rarity comes out of the kitchen.

"Hey, darling, did you have fun?" Rarity asked as Sweetie Belle nodded.

"Sure did, first we tried to get our hogtying cutie marks, but Scootaloo somehow hogtied herself, next we tried getting our foraging cutie marks, but realized it's a lot harder than it looks, good thing Zecora was there," Sweetie said, going on a tangent about what they did.

Rarity giggles, as she listens to her sister regale her with her day as she ruffles her head. "That all sounds like fun, I hope you worked up an appetite, I made your favorite," Rarity said as she turned to go back into the kitchen.

Sweetie Belle gasped excitedly as she followed by her sister's side, "Broccoli cheese and potato soup," Sweetie Belle said excitedly as she sat down at the table.

"You know it," Rarity said as she got herself and Sweetie a bowl.

Sitting back down, Rarity saw how her sister wasted no time in digging in, Rarity could taste the love she had for this dish and it pleased her that she could give Sweetie this feeling, she then started to eat her bowl of soup, hoping that she'll be able to reveal her true self soon.