• Published 13th Aug 2023
  • 2,956 Views, 155 Comments

Clothes make the Mare - Applefai



Rarity has a secret, but is unsure if she should come out.

  • ...
16
 155
 2,956

Rainbow's Reply

As Rarity walked into the tavern, she was greeted with the blaring music coming from DJ-Pon3's soundboard, causing some ponies to dance and others just bobbing their heads. Rarity quickly spots Rainbow Dash leaning on the side of the bar, chugging down a cider.

Rarity makes her way to the bar gently squeezing through a crowd of ponies as they dance to the beat of the music. She finally reaches the bar and rummages through her saddlebag and takes out ten bits, she places the gold coins down on the counter and looks at the bartender. "Another one for my friend and one for me please," Rarity said, causing Rainbow to look back at her.

"Oh, hey, Rarity, I didn't expect to see you here, I've always invited you but you told me you were busy or that this place was uncouth," Rainbow said in surprise, her mouth agape as the bartender brought them their drinks

"Yeah, I know, but I must say it seems pretty pleasant," Rarity said as she took a sip of her cider. "I just decided to drop by, I actually want to talk to you though, but can we go somewhere quieter?" Rarity asked as Rainbow nodded.

"Sure, let's just drink out cider first," Rainbow replied as she grabbed the cider that Rarity bought for her and began to chug, as she chugged, some cider started spilling from the sides of her mouth as she swallowed the liquid.

Rarity drank hers slowly, savoring the flavor and sipping a bit of the love Rainbow emitted as she drank her cider, it was stronger when mixed with alcohol and gave Rarity a little buzz.

Rainbow slammed her mug down when she finished drinking her cider, letting out a huge belch, "Oh, excuse me," Rainbow said as Rarity finished her mug shortly after she had set her mug down.

"Come on, Rare, I know a good quiet place," the multicolored pegasus said as she led Rarity out of the tavern and behind the establishment.

Rarity followed close behind, her heart pounding as she pondered on what Rainbow would say.

"So what did you want to talk about?" Rainbow asked as she leaned against the wall and belched, the smell of cider lingering on her breath. "Pardon," she says as she covers her mouth.

Rarity waves off the smell, smiling slightly knowing Rainbow at least pardoned herself.

"I wanted to talk to you about the changeling," Rarity said nervously.

Rainbow's eyes widened as she heard her friend mention those creatures, her eyes flared up as she remembered the battle between them and her friends. "Why would you want to talk about those insects?" Rainbow asked, Rarity's ears dropped as she heard her reply, her heart aching with the fact Rainbow was this hostile.

"I was wondering if you thought it would be possible to befriend the changelings," Rarity answered.

"Befriend those moths? Please, their queen orders them around like pawns, they know nothing about loyalty or friendship, and they'd stab us in the back as soon as they had the chance," Rainbow said, going off into a tangent about the changeling race.

Rarity's eyes drooped down and her eyes teared up a bit, "You really think so?" Rarity asked as Rainbow looked at her.

Rainbow sighed as she saw the sadness in Rarity, she put a hoof on her friend's shoulder and sat down beside her. "Look, Rare, it's nice that you think there is a chance, but I don't see it that way, they obviously don't have any intention on becoming friends, if they did, they would have stood up against Chrysalis," Rainbow said as Rarity sniffed a bit.

"I guess you're right, Rainbow," Rarity said, the feeling of defeat traveling through her body.

Rainbow hugged her, pulling her close as she comforted her with her wing. "But yeah, if there is a chance, I would try to have an open mind," Rainbow said as Rarity forced a smile.

"You would?" Rarity asked as she looked at the multicolored pegasus.

"Yeah, but I can't say for certain until that time comes," Rainbow said as she sat back up. "Come on, I'll buy you another drink," she says as she heads back into the bar.

"That's alright, I have other things to do, but some other time perhaps," Rarity replied as she walked off, Rainbow waving her off.

"Ok, see you around," Rainbow said before stumbling back into the tavern.

Rarity walks back to the bench she was sitting at trying not to cry as she fights back tears, When she gets to the bench she sits down and takes out her notebook, she readies her pen and writes under Twilight's take.

Rainbow Dash: Is doubtful like Twilight, but is a bit more biased and frankly, a little racist. She sees us as nothing but bugs based on her choice of words. Hopefully, her mind may change when and if I come out, but for right now I'll be wary of her. Hopefully, it was more the two ciders she chugged that were talking and personal feelings rather than her genuine thoughts.

The alabaster unicorn wrote down. After she finished she put her notepad up and looked up at the sky, wondering who to ask next. Looking at the clock tower Rarity noticed that it was now four o'clock, Sweetie Belle would be off with her friends for a while giving her time for one more visit at least.

Rarity sighs as she leans her head back, she had hoped that she would have had more positive answers rather than negative ones. She gets up and wonders who to see next.

"Let's see, I've already asked Twilight and Rainbow Dash. I suppose I should ask Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Applejack, Celestia, Luna, Cadence, and Shining Armor soon. I think I'll go talk to Fluttershy next," Rarity said to herself as she hopped up from the bench and trotted over to Fluttershy's cottage.

When Rarity arrived, she was greeted with the sight of Fluttershy and her animal friends sitting on a red and white checkered blanket in the yard, enjoying a picnic with little sandwiches and tea.