• Published 30th Dec 2011
  • 3,746 Views, 297 Comments

Living with Rainbow Dash - ArmourFox



Spitfire learns that living with Rainbowdash isn't as easy as it seems.

  • ...
17
 297
 3,746

I'll love you always

Tick, tick, tick. The clock on the wall was ticking away the seconds, all the while Rainbow Dash sat in a hospital. The other pony that was usually there was out on a call. After Spitfire had fallen from the sky (quite literally), she had been rushed to the hospital in Canterlot by ambulance. Rainbow was the only one riding in the back besides the medic and had been in the room with her ever since. However, Spitfire had undergone quite a makeover. Her head was wrapped in bandages and wings were well..... gone. 'Gone, bucking gone!' Rainbow thought bitterly, 'She'll never fly again.'

-Flash Back-

The doctor walked out of the room to a sobbing Rainbow Dash.

"Miss Dash I presume?" He addressed her.

"Y-yeah, that’s me. Will she be all right?"

"Why don't you look for yourself?" He showed her a pair of x-rays.

Rainbow stared at them for a while before saying, "I have no idea what those mean..."

"She broke every bone in both of her wings, piercing the skin in several places. She also broke several ribs and her right arm, as well as her left leg. Miss Dash, I hate to tell you this but she'll be perfectly fine except..."

"Wait, you hate to tell me she'll be fine?" Rainbow interrupted the doctor, raising an eyebrow.

"If you let me finish, I would tell you she'll be fine except her wings. W-we have to amputate them." A grim expression played over the doctor’s face as he said this. "I'm sorry but not even our most talented unicorns could save her wings."

"You mean she'll never fly again?"

"Sadly, yes." Rainbow then began to weep silently; the only sound was her tears hitting the floor.

-Flash Forward-



A couple days earlier, Rainbow had been in the hospital after taking her anger out on flying. It didn't go over so well and she had been grounded for a couple days, during which time she had discovered a new love of reading. She had brought over her favorite book, "Daring Do", for Spitfire to read while she was in the hospital. When she woke that is...

-Time Lapse-

Here she is again. Rainbow was sitting at the edge of Spitfire’s bed. The heart monitor quietly beeping in the background and another visitor not so quietly snoring in the corner with his hat tipped over his eyes.

"H-hey Spitfire, how’s it going?" Rainbow asked to herself, followed by, "I got you a new book to read when you wake up, I guess....." Spitfire moaned in her sleep at that.

"Rainbow D-dash," She whispered.

"Spitfire!?!" Rainbows head snapped to attention, shouting, "Spitfire! It's me. It's Rainbow Dash!" Spitfire slowly opened her eyes, only to see Rainbow before her with tears in her eyes.

"Rainbow!" Spitfire was almost tackled out of the bed by Dash, however she managed to keep herself upright. Right after, Rainbow planted a very passionate kiss right on Spitfire’s lips.

Spitfire immediately looked to the corner of the room to where the dark grey pegasus with a yellow and orange mane was still sleeping, only to ask, "Who the buck is that?"

"Oh him? I think his name is Skylight... When you crashed, he was the EMT in the back. He got a pulse right before they pulled you into the hospital and he's been coming in between EMS calls," Rainbow explained, her smile disappearing after she mentioned the accident but then returned talking about how she lived. The smile was once again short lived however, after remembering what she would have to tell Spitfire.

"I brought you a book!" Rainbow said, giving her "Daring Do".

"When did you get into reading?"

"The week that you've been asleep."

"Oh, well would you like to read it to me?"

"I would love to." Rainbow quickly kissed her on the cheek. "Now let’s start at the beginning. 'Daring Do stood before the entrance to th.."

"Hey Rainbow?"

"Yeah Spitfire?"

"Why does my back feel so light? Did they put some numbing agent on it or something?" Spitfire looked at her back and gasped.

"Oh, well Spitfire..."

"Rainbow, where are my wings?!?"

"Ummm....Yeah, after you fell, your wings completely broke. Th-they had to am-amputate them," Dash said, tears forming in her eyes once more. She then proceeded to bawl into Spitfires chest.

"So they’re gone?" Spitfire asked. All Rainbow could manage was to nod into her chest. "Gone; I have no wings... None at all....."

"And now you can never fly again," Rainbow muttered, crying.

"Hey, shhhhhh. It's ok. I'm fine. I can still walk on clouds, however you pointing out the obvious isn't helping," Spitfire spoke soothingly to Rainbow, even though on the inside she was freaking the buck out. 'I don't have wings! They're just gone! No... no I have to be strong.... For Rainbow and for me,' She thought to herself.

"No! It's not fine! You can't fly anymore! You, a pegasus that can't bucking fly!" Dash continued to cry.

"Rainbow! It's fine! I'm fine! Just promise me one thing?"

"W-what’s that?"

"Promise me that even though I can't fly, or anything else that might happen. You'll always love me and you'll always accept my love."

"I promise," Dash said, kissing Spitfire once more. "Anything else you want me to promise you?"

"Oh! Also promise me that you'll make sure Rarity doesn't go overboard on our wedding dresses."

"I promise that too," Dash assured, kissing Spitfire again.

"Did he really just sleep though all that?" Spitfire motioned to Skylight.

"Yeah, he came in last night around midnight mumbling something about rugby then fell asleep in that chair." She ended with a giggle. "Why, do you want to wake him up?"

"Let's let him sleep." And at Spitfires wishes, Rainbow took a blanket and draped it over the sleeping colt, only to go fall asleep with another pony entirely. And they couldn't be happier.

Author's Note:

And you all thought she was dead! You guys are so morbid, god... Anyways, expect another chapter soon! Thanks again Kiroberos (You don't get enough credit, and then it's going to be kinda awkward when you read this while proofing... What the buck?) -Theengineerbrony