• Published 24th Apr 2023
  • 120 Views, 5 Comments

Fleety's Pile of Anthology - Fleety



A growing pile of snippets written by somepony who struggles to finish them.

  • ...
1
 5
 120

Night in Manehatten

Before you read, just know that there's two different versions to the story and your currently at the first one. So just scroll down to the second one if you wanna check it out.

1st Version - The bounty gets away


Manehatten, once known as the city that never sleeps long ago by its residence. That term still rings true even in the future as Equestria slowly pushed itself into an era of technology and progress. As cities modernised and cast away its old architecture for something more concrete and rectangular, Manehatten became the basis of how the future should look.

Now, it has been centuries since Equestria entered an age of technology and Manehatten still remains a shining jewel for the world to see. Yet under the veil of glamoring neon lights and buzzing billboards, two lone hunters waited. From the balcony the two sat in silence, observing the building across the street.

They’ve been here for an hour now and there was no sign of their target. There was a silent sense of tension building up in the air as they waited. Yet there was still nothing. Had they been too late? Did something happen? Had they been tipped off?

“Where is he?” Perl said in annoyance as her eyes scanned the crowds below. There were many ponies out and about at this hour, especially during a festival. “Are you sure this is a good spot? It’s been an hour now.” she questioned her friend.

“I’m sure of it…” Gadget said in worry as she looked through her binoculars, still having no luck in spotting the target. As the hours ticked by, the stress of the situation slowly began to bring doubt to her and soon she looked about one last time in hopes of spotting who they were looking for. “I don’t think he’s here at all…” Gadget finally admitted in defeat.

It had been the third time Whitejack had evaded their grasp, and now with this recent event he had once more cheated death.

Whenever somepony dabbles in places they shouldn’t be, and deliberately makes enemies out of others, you don’t expect them to live very long without escaping the Don’s wrath. Especially not when assassins are out to get you.

Perl and Gadget were confident of this fact, yet after this? They were starting to think Whitejack was cleverer than he looked. At least they wouldn't be at fault, their superior had told them this was where he would show up and so they were here.

Perl wasn’t quite sure of what to do but she shifted her aim across the street one last time, hoping that Whitejack would show up from one of the alleyways. Nothing happened and Perl let out a sigh in defeat. “Looks like someone tipped him off again.” she said as she rested her rifle down on the wooden railing.

“Somepony must be feeding him information or something.” Gadget theorised. Before Perl could voice an opinion of her own, a ringing sound could be coming from Gadget's saddlebag. “Oh, jeez… I wonder who that is?” she asked as she retrieved her phone from her bag, answering it.

2nd Version - The bounty is dead


It was yet another eventful night in Manehatten, Equestria's bustling metropolis.

Once known as the city that never sleeps long ago by its residence. That term still rings true even in the future as Equestria slowly pushed itself into an era of technology and progress. As cities modernised and cast away its old architecture for something more concrete and rectangular, Manehatten became the basis of how the future should look.

Now, it has been centuries since Equestria entered an age of technology and Manehatten still remains a shining jewel for the world to see. Yet under the veil of glamoring neon lights and buzzing billboards, two lone hunters waited. From the balcony the two sat in silence, observing the building across the street.

They’ve been here for an hour now and there was no sign of their target. There was a silent sense of tension building up in the air as they waited. Yet there was still nothing. Had they been too late? Did something happen? Had they been tipped off?

“Where is he?” Perl said in annoyance as her eyes scanned the crowds below. There were many ponies out and about at this hour, especially during a festival. “Are you sure this is a good spot?” she questioned her friend.

“I’m sure of it…” Gadget said in worry as she looked through her binoculars, still having no luck in spotting the target. Just when Gadget’s doubts began to wash in there was a sudden movement from one of the alleyways across the street. It was one of many but Gadget’s eyes have been focused on those for the last few moments. “I believe I see him.” she quipped.

Soon enough, a figure could be seen staggering out of the dark alley. He wasn’t hard to miss, especially when he stood out from among the crowd with the eyepatch he wore, as well as the white trench coat he had, making him visible in the dark.

“There, five o’clock in that alleyway with the trashbags.”

“I see him too.” Perl said as she pulled her rifle close, aiming through the iron sight. Perl always said that a scope would only give away their position due to the glint of the lens, but Gadget’s main thoughts always wondered how Perl was able to aim so well without one.

“He’s wounded.” Perl pointed out, adjusting her aim and shifting her sights to the right.

“Huh you can tell?”

“He’s staggering. Looks like our guy had been injured in a firefight. Probably with a rival group of his.” she concluded as she began to line up the shot.

Just as she finished her observations, the figure, who was looking about in caution, turned and hastily made his way through the crowded street. If that pony thought he had already escaped, he was dead wrong.

As soon as the figure paused next to a lamppost to catch his breath, Perl fired her shot. A poison dart whisks its way through the air. In a matter of moments, he was down.

The two left the scene before anypony knew he was dead.

Author's Note:

Artwork was drawn by my friend, hugo231929, which you can find by clicking this!

I was inspired by this particular piece of art to write a short story for him months ago, Perl is an OC that belongs to him and Gadget belongs to me. However, other than that, I've never really thought on how else I was going to continue this story past the point I had imagined... But do go show check out some of his works if you can!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment