• Published 22nd Aug 2022
  • 1,176 Views, 6 Comments

The Sun's Naming Ceremony - StarlightBlazeDazzle



Many say it's hard to name foals, but Celestia would disagree.

  • ...
1
 6
 1,176

The Naming Ceremonies

Naming foals was hard–well, that's at least what most would say.

Princess Celestia deemed herself a pro at it. Thousands of years ago she had a plethora of off-spring–and each one bore an elaborate name.

But unfortunately for Celestia, like their owners those names died.

Each time a foal had died of Celestia's, she'd seal herself off from the outside world for as much as a decade.

Luna had felt bad for Celestia and proposed a pact of sorts. She had the idea for both her and Celestia to avoid having children. They'd be spared the pain of their children's deaths and would never have to watch their foals be used against them.

Celestia had agreed, grateful for Luna's idea.

It had been very thoughtful of Luna.

But, Celestia broke that pact.

It didn't matter. Luna was still banished; what she didn't know wouldn't kill her.

Professor Inkwell had been the only one informed of the foal. She smiled at the sleeping foal.

Celestia asked, softly, "She's adorable, isn't she?"

Inkwell nodded. "Yes. She is." She paused before questioning the princess, "What will you name her?"

Celestia thought for a moment.

The little unicorn foal had a yellow-orange coat and firey, red hair with golden streaks in it just like her father.

Celestia smiled a little bit before answering, with no doubt in her mind, "Sunset Shimmer."

"That's a lovely name," Inkwell responded.

Celestia raised her head to gaze at Inkwell. "Is it time for Sunny to go?"

Inkwell nodded. "Yes."

Celestia sighed.

____

"Two fillies in a couple of years. You must be happy," Inkwell commented.

"I am–truly. Both of my foals are gifts," Celestia responded.

The pegasus filly looked like her father too–pink hair, bright, blue-green eyes, and a lovely yellow coat.

"Can I hold her?" Celestia's friend asked. "She reminds me a little bit of my own filly."

"Yes, you may," Celestia answered.

Inkwell reached forward toward the newborn filly.

The filly shied away from the Professor's hoof.

"Oh," Inkwell started. "You're a shy little one, huh?"

Celestia's purple eyes lit up. "That's it!"

Inkwell had been a little startled on account of the fact Celestia had been speaking so softly just a bit ago.

"Fluttershy," Celestia began to say. "I'll call her Fluttershy."

Inkwell smiled. "That suits her."

Celestia was so caught up in lovingly gazing at Fluttershy that she hadn't even noticed Inkwell's comment. It took Inkwell clearing her throat and nudging Celestia to get the ruler's attention.

"Princess…" Inkwell began.

Celestia looked up. "Yes…?"

"It's time," Inkwell told her.

Celestia sighed. "Yes. Of course." She kissed the foal's forehead. "Love you," Celestia whispered. She handed the yellow foal to Inkwell. "Where will she be going?"

The foal of course wasn't a big fan of that, but Inkwell was able to calm her relatively easily.

"She'll be going to stay with a pegasus family called the Shys. So, it's actually really helpful that you picked that name out for her," Inkwell said.

Fluttershy had been placed in the basket. Inkwell then headed toward the door as Celestia called after them, "Good bye, Little One."

Inkwell left the room with the basket.

And just like before, Celestia felt empty.

___

Three foals–that's how many Celestia had in the past couple of years.

"Three foals," Inkwell said. "...Well I guess three is the magic number…" Inkwell then pulled a face when she realized that Celestia hadn't been listening to her. "Princess, what is it?"

Celestia's mouth grew dry.

When it came to Sunset Shimmer and Fluttershy, they had both looked like their fathers. But this foal? She looked like a mini-Celestia–white coat, magenta, teal, and green stripes in her hair, and deep purple eyes.

Inkwell frowned. "We could always use a spell to alter her apearence. Let's say keep the white coat and purple hair, but ditch the stripes. We could give her…blue eyes." She paused before asking, "Does that work, Princess?"

Celestia nodded. "Yes. Yes it does." She looked away as Inkwell cast the spell. She only looked back when she knew the spell had been cast.

It slightly upset Celestia that this foal's appearance had to be altered. Celestia wasn't sure why that was the case. It was for her foal's own good, after all.

Right then the doors swung open.

"Auntie Celest-" Cadance stopped dead in her tracks, her eyes grew wide. "Um…"

"You shouldn't be here," Inkwell said, trying to step between Cadance's line of sight and Celestia.

"It's fine. She can come in," Celestia said, which surprised both Inkwell and Cadance. "Just close the door," the ruler of Equestria added.

Cadance did as she was told before slowly stalking over toward her aunt. "Is this my little cousin?" She asked.

Celestia nodded. "Yes."

Cadance smiled and squealed. "She's soooooo cute!" She hopped around, gleefully. "We're gonna be best friends! She's gonna make a good princess!"

Celestia gulped. "Actually, Cadance, we'd appreciate if you didn't tell anyone about this."

"Why?" Cadance slightly cocked her head aside, confused.

"I'm not going to keep her. She'll be going to stay with a family in Ponyville," Celestia explained.

Cadance sounded disappointed, "Oh, okay."

Inkwell then said, "It's-" she was cut off.

"Time. I know." Celestia was about to pass the foal over when she noticed something.

"What's her name?" Cadance asked.

"The Princess didn't come up with one," Inkwell responded.

"What? You can't just give her away without a name! How are you supposed to find her later?" Cadance started to ramble.

"I have to keep her," Celestia blurted out.

"What?" Inkwell flipped around extremely fast just to stare at Celestia.

"I have to keep her," Celestia repeated. She swallowed. "She's an alicorn."

"It's not common for foals to be born as alicorns. It's almost unheard of," Cadance started to say. "It's… a rarity."

Celestia then laughed.

"What's so funny?" Cadance asked.

"You gave me an idea for her name," Celestia told her niece. "She'll be called Rarity."

"It's a beautiful name and all, but she's running late," Inkwell said. "We need to alter her… I know a spell that'll turn her into a unicorn." Inkwell's horn began to light up as she pointed toward the foal.

Celestia's eyes grew wide.

Right then, Rarity teleported out of the blanket and behind Celestia.

Inkwell then rushed toward the foal as the foal teleported again. "Come on!" Inkwell commanded Cadance.

Rarity giggled as she teleported once again–letting Cadance and Inkwell ram into each other.

Rarity continued to teleport around the room and make a fool of Cadance and Inkwell.

Celestia stood, creeping up behind the giggling foal before swooping her up in her arms. Celestia nuzzled the white foal. "You're a trouble-maker, aren't you?"

Rarity just cooed in response.

Inkwell came to a halt, panting. "I can perform that spell now-"

"That's not necessary," Celestia began to say. "She shall stay an alicorn."

"But-" Inkwell began.

"Using magic to alter mane and eye color is one thing, but using it to rip away her wings is a whole nother thing. I don't wish that for my child," Celestia explained.

"Then what will you do?" Inkwell asked. "What will you do about her wings?"

"We'll find a way for her to learn a cloaking spell, after all, magic seems to come easy for her," Celestia giggled.

"As you wish," Inkwell began, lowering her voice as she picked up the basket.

Celestia placed a kiss on her daughter's forehead. "I love you." She placed the foal in the basket before stroking the side of her face. "Goodbye," Celestia whispered.

Inkwell bowed to Celestia before heading toward the door.

"Inkwell, one last thing. Make sure she doesn't teleport out of the basket," Celestia joked.

Inkwell just laughed a little before leaving the room.

And for the first time, Celestia wasn't sad to see her child go. She was actually hopeful–and that sure felt good.

Comments ( 6 )

Short and sweet, well done. :)

This is great!!!

That was a good read and funny too!

Ok so if I read this right Rarity an alicorn in this universe and she doesn't even know it.

Login or register to comment