• Published 17th Aug 2022
  • 173 Views, 4 Comments

A Journey in Twilight - Napstab



A certain purple pony Travels to someplace new.

  • ...
 4
 173

Dawn

As the gravel under her hooves shifted, Twilight continued on this lone path for miles. With nothing but the weight of a carriage which was only supported by her back along with magic, she slowly trotted ever forward. Her thoughts buzzing around in such a way that she couldn't focus. Her body looked to be on the brink of collapse, shivering from the chill in the air and permafrost darkening her fur as she limped across the flat barren landscape she found herself somewhat trapped in. Her face, both exerting red and purple hues and looking as if she hadn't slept in months, scrunched at the somewhat endless trail head.

Her hooves fixated on one thing, moving forward. The night was long and the darkness surrounding her was deafening. Snow had frosting her eyelashes as it swirled around her. With nothing but the occasional glimpse of a speckled moon and her horn for light, shining brighter than it ever had the right to, her path was subtly illuminated in turn. Silhouettes dance within her vision, eyes of many shades and shapes gazed upon her tired form with a mix of curiosity or tempted stare. Whose shadows darting away by the sound of her carriage, or slinking into the darkness in wait.

The snow, from what Twilight knew, was more wild and callous than she'd known, untamed and out of control. Occasionally piling up to form frigid blockades, it took near all of her strength and then some to pull the cart to the other side. Nevertheless, her efforts were not in vain as the cart shook but was freed. Soon there after, the snow had lessened an some of the the stars were now free. Twilight had stumbled upon a suitable location to rest. A small clearing, snow was blocked by evergreens, and could fit her carriage within. After sliding the carriage into place, she gathered a few sticks and lit a small fire with the few coals she had stocked up to light a fire. Looking into her reserves didn't reveal much, she knew she wouldn't last long on her current supply.

The carriage, once a bright blue with purple highlights is all but greyed due to the flurry of a thousand fractals of condescend water. Once glittered with stars, now the only thing decorating the old carriage being frostbite. Taking a look inside, it looked as if a storm had violently made it's way within the room and left many things scattered, coals for a fire, the odd hardened morsel of month old bread, or a single solitary pear lay on top of the lone counter. A saddle bag, once thrown violently into a corner in a fit of frustration, now littered the floor with it's contents. Countless notebooks, quills, and empty jars of ink littered the ground.

Twilight made her way though the wagon as if it were her own home, her hungry eyes darting around looking for anything. Finally, resting said eyes on the leftover bread, for she wouldn't dare touch the pear. she thoughtlessly bit into it and looked over a book unusually neatly sat within her bag, the spine stretched thin and the pages worn from obvious over-usage. Twilight hunched over, partly resting on the simple wood stock bed frame she's used for months, the loud creaks from her bed was drowned out by the blizzard bellowing from outside. She rest her head on the hay pillow beneath her and a small tweed cover now encapsulating her form.

Time passed as Twilight was unable to sleep. Dazed, starving, and disillusioned, she picked up what little she had and continued forth. The path, for which was the only sense of direction, began to shift. No longer was it a barren gravel walkway, but a refined chiselled road. Twilight's pace quickened, she found herself gazing up into the night sky with a wave of relief, but in a way, the stars seemingly glared back. A wave of guilt washed over her as she stumbled, her movements slowing and her eyesight hazy, she looked down and focused on moving forward.

The landscape ahead was an ever evolving mess of snow and unkempt trees. In the distance, a lake could be seen, the ice reflecting the light from her horn. So much so in fact that she would go blind if she got close. Nothing could be gained from there other than a glimpse at her own reflection, so she curiously looked into it. The ice and snow on the ground had caused the fur around her hooves to darken to a frightening degree and her horn paled at the tip to the color of the very snow itself. Her body didn't fair much better, the constant torment of the harsh landscape left her fur stained a darker tint then before, ruining her light purple complexion with time.

As the stars rapidly faded into nothingness, the once plains were now that of rolling hills lined with snow covered foliage and the odd flower. Twilight, after noticing that, urged with a somewhat renewed vigor at the possible sign of other pony life. Rounding the hill, she saw what she's been looking for. All she could do was stare, the skyline and the city in her sight melded together in the most brilliant display of color, as though an explosion of light she hadn't seen in quite some time were sucking her in. A nostalgic feeling washed over her, and a restless feeling soon followed.

The scene, for what felt like hours in her delusions ceased, she pushed onward till her hooves could no longer move without the use of magic. After placing her carriage near the large wooden gate surrounded by 5 meter tall walls, with no pony around to dictate where the cart stayed, she slowly unhooked herself and immediately collapsed from her own weight. Her body, once strained to the point where it had only survived on adrenaline and magic, was now at its limit. Before finding herself dead in the snow, Twilight laid herself in the cart and almost instantly lost herself in darkness...

Comments ( 4 )
Comment posted by Napstab deleted Aug 17th, 2022

Dunno how much how I'm gonna write but, enjoy!

Hopefully we can get more chapters to read more.

This certainly had some very descriptive imagery, but it was lacking a bit in substance. Also, you had some awkward phrasing and mechanical issues that made it a bit difficult to follow what was going on.

Login or register to comment