• Published 20th Oct 2021
  • 4,511 Views, 696 Comments

Beyond Blind Eyes - Lunaric



Might not have sight anymore but there's always magic... It might take some time to learn it, though.

  • ...
10
 696
 4,511

PreviousChapters Next
Reception

Cotton shuffled forward as the line in front of her shrunk one by one. Most ponies in the line were colts and fillies with their parents, but a few of them appeared to be young adults checking themself in with the receptionist. The filly on Cotton's back was twitching even more than a minute ago and she mentally sighed. Thank Celestia she's been quiet though. The pegasus once more thought about the papers in her saddlebag. Identification, registration, transfer papers, though I don't think that will be that helpful to them, and finally... Cotton turned to the filly on her withers. Aqua.. The pegasus nodded to herself. I think we have everything. Said filly was twitching and trying to hold herself in place, though it was very clear it was not working. She also seemed to be sporting a fickle smile.

The other colts and fillies seemed to be a lot less nervous than Aqua was, most only being slightly nervous. The older students didn't even look nervous at all! Cotton blinked as she realized something and looked down at her own hooves. Cotton was also shifting in place as she waited. The pegasus softly grinned and leaned into Aqua before whispering to the filly, "I think your nervousness is also making me nervous." Cotton giggled.

Aqua leaned in as well and whispered as well, "Nah, I ain't nervous. As I said outside, I'm just excited. Really excited."

Cotton kept her grin. "You sure?"

The filly nodded. "Yup. I'm getting into a school where I get to learn about magic!" The filly whispered and raised her hooves slightly, careful not to make too much of a spectacle.

Gotton giggled. "Whatever you say, Aqua."

Aqua raised her nose and spoke like some nobles Cotton had talked to in the past. "Indeed I do."

Cotton suddenly heard a sound behind her. Looking past the filly, she spotted a unicorn mare with a colt by her side. The mare was making eye contact with Cotton and pointing past her towards the desk. The pegasus whipped her head around to see one more pony in front of her. Letting out a sigh of relief, Cotton turned back to the mare and nodded, though the mare didn't look that happy now that she got a second glance at her. Cotton blushed and faced forward once more.

Above the magenta-coloured receptionist was a clock on the wall. The clock read a little past seven forty. Cotton glanced back down at the pony in front of her. Right on time. The pony in front of Cotton was a blue stallion and on his side was a small purple filly nearly twice the size of Aqua. Looks to be a year or two older than Aqua as well, though a much healthier size than her... Shaking her head, the pegasus noticed the two in front of her begin to lean towards right side of the reception room. Left is offices and right is classes?

The two ponies walked off and Cotton found herself walking forward on unsteady hooves. On the other side of the desk was a thin unicorn mare behind the large desk. Wow she's stunning.

The receptionist spoke up with a smile before Cotton could. "Hi! My name's Velvet Dreams, miss. How may I help you?"

"Hi! Nice to meet you, Velvet. I'm here to sign in a filly named Aqua. It's her first year here but she was too old to join in with the other first years... Oh, right! Here's her papers and school I.D." Cotton turned quickly and fished into her saddlebags with a hoof.

When cotton turned back, Velvet looked at the filly with a smaller smile. "Aw. I'm sorry to hear that, Aqua. Trust me, though, the first year's orientation isn't much more than what you'll be seeing. You're gonna see the orientation with everypony else. The first years have an extra thing first which is basically just a big test in an open room. And if you're already in, then you're already done with tests. You'll be fine."

"Thanks, Velvet. I know I'm gonna be fine. I just gotta get used to it, is all."

As Cotton found and pulled out the correct papers, Velvet Dreams continued, "That's a good way of looking at it. You're quite smart."

"Thanks."

As Cotton hooved the packets of paper over the desk, Velvet grasped them with her purple magic and began to scan them quickly with her eyes. "Let me just look over some of these real quick."

Aqua spoke up first, "All good."

Glancing back at the filly, she was bobbing her head side to side with her eyes open, as if she were hearing music. Cotton's ears perked up, but she couldn't hear any music. Eventually, Cotton turned back forward, occasionally glancing at Velvet. Said unicorn's face was going from emotion to emotion, though to her credit, she kept up a smile the whole time. With a small look of pity, Velvet made eye contact with Cotton and spoke quietly, "May I see her real quick?"

To see Aqua? Cotton reacted perhaps a little slower than she should have, but turned and leaned slightly, allowing Velvet a clear look at the blue filly atop her withers.

Velvet's smile dampened even further, pity taking residence on her face. Glancing at the filly, Cotton saw Aqua facing Velvet, still lightly bobbing her head, but ears fully focused on the unicorn. As Cotton looked forward once more, the unicorn nodded solemnly at Cotton. Over the course of one second, the magenta unicorn's smile was as perfect as it was when Cotton walked up to the desk. "Well, you're all set, Aqua!"

"Ah, great to hear."

"Yup, it is!" Aqua's papers floated back to Cotton and she grabbed them with a hoof. "So, all you two need to do is go down the hallway on your right," Velvet pointed down the hall to her left with a hoof, "and just follow the signs. They'll lead you straight to one of our assembly rooms. You two'll be free to go inside and find a seat. Just sit and listen, and you'll be fine. Afterwards, you'll have to talk to one of the staff. They're all wearing a dark purple stripe of cloth in their manes. They'll get you sorted properly... Also," Velvet glanced down at a paper on her desk for a second, "Cotton Ball, is that right?" At her nod, the unicorn in front of her continued, "Unfortunately despite being as close to being her guardian as you are, you'll need to leave once Aqua's sorted with the staff."

Cotton began to protest, "Really? But-"

"The staff will take care of Aqua." Velvet looked at Cotton, her smile smaller and more genuine than her earlier one. "It's not the most ideal situation, but neither of you need to worry. She'll be in good hooves."

"I-" The pegasus started, only to be cut off again.

"Cotton, it's fine." Turning to look at the filly, Aqua continued with a placating smile, "I'll be fine. It's like the biggest school here. They definitely have the funds and support. Plus, you're with me for at least a bit more." Aqua then smirked and raised an eyebrow. "That is, unless you wanna chicken out."

Cotton sighed and relaxed slightly. "Alright." Turning back to Velvet, she continued, "Okay. Thank you, Velvet Dreams. I hope we meet again soon."

Starting to walk off to the right, the unicorn waved and smiled at the both of them. "I do as well. Now, have fun you two!"

Aqua and Cotton both spoke out a, "Thank you!" and started down the hallway.

After turning a corner, Cotton spoke up to the filly as she twitched on the pegasus' back. "Are you sure you're gonna be okay?"

Aqua giggled and nodded. "Yeah, I'll be fine, Cotton." The filly breathed onto her hoof and rubbed it against her chest. Putting on a deep voice, she continued. "Besides, this isn't my first day being blind. I'm practically a pro at this point." The filly giggled once more.

Cotton found Aqua's laugh contagious and joined her, though with a more subdued laugh. "Well, if you think you're gonna be fine, then alright. Let's go see this orientation."

"Sounds like a plan."

Following a large sign, Cotton turned one more corner and saw an open door with sounds of people coming from within.

As Cotton continued down the hallway, Aqua spoke out once more, "Well, here we go..."

Author's Note:

Well, here I am, tomorrow. I feel better about this chapter than the last.

Both Aqua and Cotton are starting to see how the school is like.

I hope you all enjoyed and have a good day and night.

PreviousChapters Next