• Published 20th Oct 2021
  • 4,511 Views, 696 Comments

Beyond Blind Eyes - Lunaric



Might not have sight anymore but there's always magic... It might take some time to learn it, though.

  • ...
10
 696
 4,511

PreviousChapters Next
Dry

A pegasus stalked through the hallways. Like a ghost, she barely hovered off the ground. Her wings silently flapped to keep her even quieter. As she rounded a corner, she spotted her current target. Cotton continued towards the door in view. The door was practically glowing to her. Getting close, she touched down before coming in contact with the door. Silently, she pushed in the doorknob. Just enough for a crack between the wood. Peering through the barely-open door, she had her true interest in sight. A blue and white filly, sleeping soundly. Not for much longer... Silently opening the door the rest of the way, then almost closing it just the same, she laid her bag down. After, she crept forward. Nearing the bed, the pegasus tensed up and spread her wings, reading for a fight. Once suitably ready, she jumped into the air.

A loud poof filled the air as hooves met cloth. As Cotton hit cotton. Cotton nuzzled the sleeping filly and whispered, "Wake up Aqua... It's tomorrow!"

A delayed response of a twitch and an incomprehensible sound, "Mn..."

Cotton giggled and leaned back. "Wake up sleepy-head."

Another, "Mn," as the filly began to stretch out in all directions and tremble a little as she stretched. A small sigh followed by her leaning forward and opening her eyes, staring at nothing. She began to blink rapidly and wipe her eyes. At that failing to fix the problem, she licked her hooves and wiped again.

"It's time to get up you little filly."

Aqua continued to stare but turns to Cotton with a slight tilt instead of straight ahead. "Mn. Mornin'"

The pegasus giggled again, "Well, guess what?"

Nothing but a simple, "Mn."

"You can use magic again today!"

A single quiet laugh from the filly and a small, "Yeah," before she yawned. "You're right."

"Considering how excited you were last night, I'm surprised you aren't waking up faster..."

"Hey... Sleep is good." Another yawn. "The wake-up process takes time... Anything interesting?"

Cotton put a hoof to her chin. "Not really... Oh! That filly, I think you called her scissor filly, asked about you. I told her you were resting."

"Ah yeah, her. She's a weird filly. Really likes those scissors of hers. Cute, though."

"I suppose..."

A knock on the door took both their attentions.

Aqua was the first to respond, "Come in!"

Solid peeked through the door, "Ma'ams?"

"Come on in, Solid. We ain't doing no- heh- Girl talk."

Solid walked inside and stood off to the side of the door before saluting and giving a nod.

"So yeah Cotton. Am I clear for takeoff?"

Cotton's brow furrowed. "What?"

The filly waved it off, "Ah. Nothing. I'm good to use magic again, right?"

"Yes. I need to watch for any signs you're not okay, though. They told me what to look for."

"Fair." With that, Aqua leaned back to her pillow and put a hoof underneath it. Pulling her hoof out, Aqua held one of her training balls.

What? "Aqua..."

Aqua, now sitting back up, held the ball in front of her. "Huh? Yeah?"

"Why do you have one of those underneath your pillow..."

"Oh..." Aqua looked confused. "I... I don't know. Just in case?"

Cotton facehoofed. "You can't call others weird when you do things like that, Aqua."

Aqua looked smug. "Psh. Yeah, I can. Just as they can call me weird. It makes sense." Aqua focused back on the ball in her hooves.

Cotton gave off a long-suffering sigh and she thought she heard one from solid as well.

"Okay, gonna start now." Aqua's horn began to glow.

"Okay. I'll say if something's wrong." Seems to be normal.

The ball began to glow.

Normal.

The ball slowly began to rise and then hover in place.

Also normal, if a bit slow.

Aqua then slowly let the ball down before letting go it fell the last hoof off the bed as the glow faded from the ball and her horn. The filly mumbled to herself, "Damn... Can never get that distance right."

"Well, it seems to have worked out fine from what I saw... Want to give that light spell a try?"

"Yup, will do. Gimmie a sec to remember it. Also, tell me if you see any light." Aqua closed her grey eyes and sat still.

"You've got it."

Once more, Aqua's horn began to glow.

Normal.

Aqua's horn still continued to glow without any other light.

Normal, but slow.

Aqua's horn continued to glow as she scrunched her eyebrows.

Noticibly slower.

Light began to coalesce from the filly's horn as she grunted.

Concerningly more effort than used to be. "I see light, Aqua."

Suddenly, the glow and the light ceased as Aqua began to sigh audibly. "Well, that was significantly harder than it used to be... At least it's not a particularly useful spell."

"I suppose... It's still concerning, though."

"True. Okay, next is the warming spell. You got anything I can test it on?"

I should have something that should be fine... Cotton hummed and looked to the door for her saddlebag. Spotting it near the door, she called out. "Solid, could you hoof me my bag?"

Solid grunted and hoofeded it over.

Looking in, Cotton spotted her green sponge. She pulled it out and hoofed it over to Aqua, "This should be fine."

Aqua held it and slowly turned down to face it. "Cotton." Aqua deadpanned at her. "Why do you have a sponge in your bag?"

"Just in case," Cotton said back in a smug tone with a grin.

A snort and a smile from the filly. "Well, whatever. I'll try not to break it..." Confusion erupted on her face as she began to speak to herself. "Can you break a sponge? Or is it just considered to be ripped? Maybe shattered if it was frozen? Wait, then broken would work again..."

"Aqua..."

"Huh?"

"It doesn't matter."

Another snort. "Right. Okay, I'll start." Aqua held the sponge in her hooves as she did with the ball. Aqua's horn began to glow again.

Normal.

Eventually, the sponge joined her horn in glowing.

Normal... Not that I can really tell.

Aqua slowly furrowed her brows as sweat began to form on her forehead.

Haven't seen her cast it much, but I think it's working.

Aqua visibly began to tense up as she sweats more intensely.

Or maybe not.

Aqua gasped as the glow cut out. Panting, she sat there, glaring at nothing. "I can't do it."

Author's Note:

This one's later than I wanted. Sorry. The schedule's hard to keep up with, despite it literally being an entry-level habit. I just gotta keep trucking through it till it becomes routine.

I've been debating on a major choice, story-wise, much later on in the story.
On an unrelated note: Mercury or Venus?

PreviousChapters Next