• Published 2nd May 2021
  • 4,885 Views, 752 Comments

The Iron Chancellor - Radical Centrist



Otto Von Bismarck (Unifier of Germany) and Paul Mauser (Inventor of the standard issued rifle of Germany) are thrown into a post-Windigo Equestria as Griffons. How will the early-medieval civilisations change with these Victorian era imperialists?

  • ...
17
 752
 4,885

PreviousChapters Next
A cruel start of destiny

Author's Note:

I don't want to dwell on Tia's and Lulu's backstory, as the time spent with starswirl is secluded and boring.

As they will study and barely ever leave his home, as Starswirl will give them homework or free time whenever he was called up by Equestria.

The only times they would leave together would be moving home or training, where they would occasionally pass villages where the fillies realised Starswirl's popularity.

Alight. Nice talk, I want to focus on Bismarck and Paul more.

Tia and Lulu had first galloped, not wanting to see their home and their deceased mother behind them. But their pace became a trot, then finally a crawl as their weak hooves could not withstand the stress.

Lulu was the first to collapse, falling unconscious during the night. Tia in response placed her atop her back and continued limbering aimlessly towards the darkness. They were both still crying.

They didn't know how long they travelled, they only knew they had to run. The feeling of cold and pain was ignored, as fear overtook them. Tia's hooves began to falter.

Tia finally collapsed, her eyes shut with tears flowing freely down to the ground. She whimpered. "Please help..."


Tia jolted upwards, shaking her head to wake herself. She became confused when she found herself on a bed; her sister beside her. She quickly dismissed the notion that the previous days were dreams, as she was in a foreign bed, surrounding and was still aching in pain.

Lulu began jostling by Tia's erratic movements surveying their new surroundings. When she finally awoke, she too began looking around their new surrounding. They were both distracted enough to forget the tragedy momentarily.

The fillies both located a door, which was leaking noises of approaching hoofsteps. They grasped each other in fear.

The doorknob became encased by a magic aura and began to turn. The fillies pulled a blanket over their heads.

In entered a long-bearded grey unicorn, who held two plates with his magic. He stared at the bumpy blankets in confusement. "They're terrible at hide-and-seek..." The grey unicorn noted, as he could see the blanket shiver as he approached the hiding fillies.

"S-stay away!" Lulu shouted whilst stuffing her muzzle on Tia's barrel, which further muffled her voice which was obstructed by the blankets.

The grey unicorn stepped back and placed the plates on a table nearby. "Worry not fillies, I mean no harm." He explained, but the shivering did not stop.

"Go away!" Tia concurred, holding onto her sister tighter.

The grey unicorn sighed and grabbed two spoons from the plates to dip into the soup. "Nothing earns trust better than food." He thought, as he moved the spoons close to the hostile fillies, allowing them to smell the goodness.

He smiled when the fillies stopped and began sniffing; pulling off the blanket to clamp down on the spoons with their mouth. They gulped greedily; pulling the spoon off the grey unicorn's aura and placing them on their hooves. They began to eye the rest on the table.

The grey unicorn simply nodded and placed the plates in front of them, hoping that they would not spill any on the bed.

The fillies immediately lunged forward and began gorging on the food; having been starved for a day. The grey unicorn cringed as splatters of food splashed or flaked on the bed, as he had no servants to clean for him.

They had a long conversation ahead...


6 years later... THE PRESENT

Tia and Lulu had gone a long way; the eldest had turned 16, and the youngest 12. Their teacher and saviour had distracted their grief with constant work and study; moulding them into brilliant intellectuals with a vast array of spells and a mana pool to sustain it.

During the first two years of Starswirl's lectures, he had realised the endless potential of the fillies; devoting more of his time to teach them, to one day hopefully replace him. It was around the same time he began engineering the tools in which his future graduates could use against threats after he and the rest of the pillars were gone. He planted the seeds of his work in a cave his students would discover at a time of desperation; their old training grounds.

His students didn't know, but he could feel his time drawing near. For some reason, he also felt the light beyond the long darkness that loomed ahead; as if he would come back after a thousand years of death. He dismissed it.

For now, they would march northeast. Towards the Jacobins.


"Stay strong faithfuls. We are near." Ares announced, garnering hums from the following bishops.

The destruction of the pegasuses and the consequential rise of the earth ponies had led the unicorns to hide; neglecting the Solarist church and dooming it to extinction.

The withdrawal of all unicorn resources had worsened the already dire situation of the church, as now they were vulnerable to pagan raiders and were close to starvation.

The Solarist council had debated discussing the problem, however, deepened the ugly truth of the Solarist church. The Schism. No decisive decisions would be made, as two factions quickly re-emerged; the largest representing the coalition between the nobles and orthodox, who wanted nothing to do with the earth ponies, and wished to re-negotiate with the unicorn nobilities for resources. The smallest was led by Ares; whose supporters were talentless unicorns who had been forced to serve the clergy by their ambitious parents. The latter faction wished to negotiate with the earth ponies, which the former interpreted as treason and blasphemy, as their scriptures pictured the earth ponies as forever slaves; doomed to serve their unicorn masters in Solari's will.

The largest faction had won; finally using this opportunity to excommunicate the hated Ares (who had only been ordained when the votes became split three ways) and replace him with Iracundia; exiling the rest of the faction as well.

Ares wasn't bitter; he didn't even feel betrayed. For he was far wiser than the excommunicators. He knew the times were changing, and without following the tide, the church would drown in their ignorance. As the church could no longer count on the unicorns. They would have to count on the earth ponies.

Ares was determined to burn a thousand scriptures to make it happen. Cut a thousand heads to ensure the church's survival. Rewrite the entire message of Solaris to integrate. He would change everything so that the earth ponies wouldn't abandon the faith. He would sacrifice himself to give everypony meaning and purpose. He truly was pious.


"My liege, our spymaster has news." A crystal pony advisor bowed to the hunched emperor, whose face was turned away towards the window facing the Equestrian lands.

"Bring him in." The emperor groaned; turning himself towards the door. The advisor trotted backwards.

The door opened to reveal a hooded figure; the spymaster of the Crystal Empire's court; Blurry Mist.

"I presume you made progress in the Equestrian scheme?" The emperor assessed; remembering the task which the spymaster was given. "He better give results... Or off with his head!" The emperor thought.

Mist simply shook his head, garnering a frown from the emperor. "What I had found is far more advantageous my liege," Mist explained, stopping the emperor's rage. "Far greater than our scheme; a bigger threat than a pegasus uprising!" Mist continued, making both the emperor and advisor lean in.

"That is..?" The emperor inquired, hoping Mist's explanation wasn't a lie to save his life.

Mist braced himself, trying to make himself sound more believable. "The earth ponies are revolting, and they had just demolished the pegasus army." Mist stated; barely believing himself despite coming out his muzzle.

"..." The advisor and the emperor froze when they heard this, but immediately broke out in laughter. Mist began to sweat.

"How convenient that I had been funding the pegasus through you to revolt, and now they are destroyed." The emperor mocked, as he could not believe his spymaster could make up such an idiotic excuse.

"Everypony knows that the earth ponies are too dumb to do anything but farm!" The advisor mocked as well, as to how would the earth ponies even know how to hold a sword?!

"But!-" Mist tried to defend, but was cut off by the emperor.

"Guards! Send this lunatic to prison and throw the keys away!" The emperor shouted, prompting two guardponies to enter and drag Mist outside immediately. "Spreading disinformation at a time like this... Get me another spymaster!" The emperor ordered; his advisor nodding and galloping out his room.

"Ruling is hard... The emperor blankly thought, slumping next to the window once more, and begun to stare aimlessly towards Equestria. "Oh, how busy I am...

PreviousChapters Next