• Published 2nd May 2021
  • 4,886 Views, 752 Comments

The Iron Chancellor - Radical Centrist



Otto Von Bismarck (Unifier of Germany) and Paul Mauser (Inventor of the standard issued rifle of Germany) are thrown into a post-Windigo Equestria as Griffons. How will the early-medieval civilisations change with these Victorian era imperialists?

  • ...
17
 752
 4,886

PreviousChapters Next
Blissful Griffon isolation

Paul was laughing madly at his report. The German empire had finally fully industrialised and westernised, capitalists present in every state, bureaucrats enforcing rule and order, labourers extracting their endless natural resources, workers producing in factories, the reduced but more efficient farmers producing food surpluses, soldiers... Soldiering, and intellectuals researching. Paul grew louder.

Bismarck tried to ignore Paul, focusing on his reports. He was glad that he didn't have to participate in diplomacy again; his greatest talent, but also his greatest tragedy. He had grown tired of it a long time ago, his only motivation being the continued prestige and peace for his vulnerable German Empire.

Currently, he was reviewing the state of his army; he had built it up ever since their proclamation as a state and had racked up to 6 million soldiers in total, (including reserves). "6 million..." Bismarck pondered, "I could take over the entire world with this... Bismarck wondered, his endless columns of men marching into the Equis continent with impunity. "No... That would stretch us to our limit..." Bismarck retracted, not wanting to make the same mistakes as the Romans did; overextend.

Bismarck began to re-read the encounter their tank squad had described in meeting the other civilisations throughout their journey and was glad that they were primitive at best. However, the idea of magic still confused and shook him, as he still did not know what 'unicorn magic' was capable of.

"Shall we reach out to these 'earth ponies'?" Bismarck asked the cackling Paul, who coughed violently in response. "...we have already left a good impression... And it would be nice having a satellite state to protect our future colonies," Bismarck explained the still-coughing Paul.

Paul finally stopped and cleared his throat. "It depends on how we will 'reach' out." Paul implored Bismarck to specify, the thought of sharing knowledge leaving a bad taste in his mouth.

"Perhaps a basic trade agreement; we give them food for exchange of natural resources." Bismarck deliberated, thinking he had finally found the use for the surplus wasted food.

"From the reports, these 'earth ponies' are all farmers. I highly doubt they would buy food." Paul countered, still adamant in isolating the German empire from any foreign politics or stage.

"...Then perhaps we could give them primitive weapons? Or maybe the equivalent weapons everybody else is using." Bismarck offered, thinking of giving early-medieval or ancient weapons to the primitive 'earth ponies'.

Paul began to ponder the proposal but quickly dismissed it, as it would look awkward for a modern griffon to sell primitive spears to 'allies' whilst wielding a gun and riding a tank. But he quickly gained a devilish idea. "...I have a better decision..." Paul leaned close to Bismarck, confiding it near his ears. Bismarck simply raised a brow in interest and leaned in as well.

"Gunboat diplomacccccccy..." Paul hissed ominously, chasing Bismarck to realise the prospects as well.

"You mean zeppelin diplomacy?" Bismarck corrected, as there were no large rivers or navigated bodies of water to travel and enforce their demands.

"My point stands." Paul shrugged, leaning back. He would finally get the opportunity to use their flying airships; an improved design with an extremely thick hull thanks to a 'magical' gas that could lift the airship x30 more than helium or hydrogen could. Paul madly grinned.


The SMS (Equivalent to HMS, except sounds less British and cliché} Moltke and SMS Johanna landed at their last stop before their departure; the airports of Strasburg for a final refuel and picking-up of the experienced soldiers that had already traversed the Equis lands; Nina and her squad.

Albert was adamant about staying, however, was tempted by the prospects of gaining more joints. Harold was given the green light from his parents to embark once more, and hopefully, see Green and Little again.

Nina's crew were quickly brought to the brig of SMS Johanna to begin advising the admirals of the destination of the earth ponies on their unfinished map. Planes already buzzed through the air in practice for the days to come.

The zebras and diamond dog would think they were hallucinating for the days to come...


"Why wouldn't you let me go?" Bismarck groaned, limped in his seat.

"Because you are integral to this nation's governance!..and I'm not going to be the only one suffering..." Paul turned and whispered the final bit, causing Bismarck to raise his brows in curiousness.

"What?" Bismarck's asked, wanting a repeat,

"What?" Paul asked as well, looking around innocently.

"Huh-?" Bismarck hesitated.

"Huh-?" Paul feigned hesitation.

Bismarck rubbed his temple in frustration, as Paul began to annoy him, as Bismarck always underestimated Paul's pettiness. "How are we supposed to 'negotiate' without an experienced diplomat then?" Bismarck asked, his he'd still sore from Paul's antic.

"Oh! Don't worry about that! I got that covered!" Paul reached under the desk and pulled out a wired telephone, placing it in front of him.

"You need wires connected to the airship phones to communicate moron..." Bismarck face-clawed, Paul's stupidity having made him say something unposh for a long time.

Paul simply winked.

Bismarck blinked.

"Did you seriously run a wire in the air on a moving airship?" Bismarck asked through blinks, ready to shoot the stupid griffon in the face if he confirmed his guess.

"Of course not! I made a ground crew dig a line while they follow the airship! I'm not that dumb!" Paul defended; he had planned on having the airship crews descend to the wire team to communicate back to them.

Bismarck sighed in relief, which made Paul pout due to its implication. They began to exit their conference room. "Who knew ruling in peace would be so boring and repetitive?" Paul asked the experienced Chancellor, who wore a grin at his question.

"You will learn to treasure this moment one day friend," Bismarck told the naive Paul who nodded in response. "After all, mediocrity is best. And chaos destructive."

The SMS Moltke and SMS Johanna began to travel just as Starswirl arrived at the northeastern territories of Equestria.

But I will be rolling back time to see what happened to Starswirl in his journey next chapter.

Author's Note:

The German empires' airships are more akin to floating airship carriers, which means griffons can use them as headquarters, hospitals, air bases, barracks, etc.

The German empire also has basic rocketry, which means they have some Katsuya rockets (rocket artillery) attached to their airships, as well as cannons. SMS Moltke has exclusively cannons only whilst SMS Johanna has only rocket artillery.

PreviousChapters Next