• Published 2nd May 2021
  • 4,820 Views, 752 Comments

The Iron Chancellor - Radical Centrist



Otto Von Bismarck (Unifier of Germany) and Paul Mauser (Inventor of the standard issued rifle of Germany) are thrown into a post-Windigo Equestria as Griffons. How will the early-medieval civilisations change with these Victorian era imperialists?

  • ...
17
 752
 4,820

PreviousChapters Next
Irregulars into Guards (also a lot of time skips)

>>1 month time skip<<

Summary start

Summary of what happens during the one month skip: Repetitive drills, Hett Mirov becomes a lieutenant as Bismarck discovers his ability to position his troops effectively before engagements (he has foresight from his experience in hunting and knowing where the animals will go), crops are one-third the way to be able to be harvested (they are potatoes), the industry is booming (but there are no trade), literacy is solved, houses are rebuilt into German styles, the griffons have converted/adapted into the German culture, Bismarcks' company of irregulars are now guards, all the unemployed have joined Bismarcks' swelling army, and now he has a battalion of 600 troops (1 company of 120 guards and 4 companies of 480 regulars), Bismarck now has mortars (I was too lazy to write its firing procedures or how the soldiers would react, as it would be the same as the rifles), they also have maxim machine guns (cause screw you), food shortage is solved, Bismarck and Paul becomes their leader and the elder has stepped down to retire after making sure they both had no evil intentions (he could not tell, but he yielded looking at what they had done for the village), THE VILLAGE IS NOW A CITY, AND ITS NAME IS BERLIN (I know, very creative), mines. Mines and machines everywhere, a universal currency is introduced (it is called marks), Bismarck is ready to open up a can of whoop-ass and Paul is ready to turn the entire region into an industrial power-house.

Summary end

Bismarck had been right, as the soldiers had quickly gotten used to the weight of their gears as they were able to maneuver in the air with previous ease. They were currently "exercising" in the mountains and forests, divided into 6 squads of 20 led by what Bismarck called "staff sergeants" who he had picked personally, saying that if they disappointed him, they will be demoted immediately. They were all independently carrying out drills which Bismarck had demonstrated in the training grounds, who also had explicitly told the staff sergeants to harshly discipline the soldiers without fraternisation after whispering a set of instructions to them.

All the squads were first told to march on their hind legs, their claws idle to allow the firing of their rifles in a minutes' notice. However, in Bismarcks' great reluctance and dismay, the majority of the griffons preferred to fly, and were allowed to if given explicit commands to do so, and if they were in strict, battle-ready formations. Bismarck knew better than to abandon common practices and was not shy from reaching compromises with his soldiers. Their exercise also had a secondary purpose: being used as an opportunity to hunt, as Bismarck knew it would be impossible logistically to supply troops in a society that was roadless, so he taught them how to properly live off the land by splitting into pairs to hunt or gather food and water. The soldiers first objected to this, as they did not want to degenerate to the same standards as the warlords' armies which plundered and looted friendly villages to gain food for their campaigns, which meant that Bismarck had to organise a bigger force to handle supply and logistics by transporting them airborne. What a hassle...

Meanwhile... In the village-turned-city, Paul and Bismarck had launched a massive education campaign, as their hunts yielded a massive haul, especially with their rifles, as they could dispatch multiple preys at once via assembling a firing line, and the native fauna had not yet adapted to griffons being able to hunt them without approaching them close. Bismarck expected the mass literacy program to take at least a year, however, Paul was far more pessimistic, as he used Hett as a benchmark to determine the rest of the griffons' intelligence, and placed his money on taking at least 2 years to make all the griffons in the village literate. (The quickest literacy program took 8 months) However, they both extremely underestimated the griffons' ability to comprehend and learn, as they were able to fully grasp the written language in under a month. Bismarck hypothesised it was because they had to only teach a single population group, as unlike the wide-range literacy programs in other nations, they did not have to reach out to some remote village to educate the poor farmers there. Paul thought it was because the griffons were naturally gifted in learning, just not in creativity, based on the lack of innovation, but kept knowledge from the past. Or maybe it was both they thought.

"What a month huh?" Paul asked Bismarck, who was sitting lazily on a stump. "We made the villagers new houses, educated them, fed them and gave them jobs."

"We have also taught them to be proud Germans, to regard the state higher than themselves, and made a lasting societal change, whose culture will surely live on with our intervention." Bismarck wisely stated, grinning madly from his achievements.

"How are your soldiers?" Paul muttered dreamily,

"No longer irregulars, fitting the title of proud guards." Bismarck proudly announced, "How goes your industry?"

"Every griffon is employed and working, everything is being mass-produced, and any opening up of trade will no doubt tip this worlds' economy on its head." Paul proudly announced as well.

They then both sat quietly, looking over the city atop a hill that overlooked it. They admired their part of their work and briefly glanced at each others' works to respect it too. However, their daydreams would be cut short by a staff sergeant landing beside Bismarck with a grim face.

"What is it, staff sergeant?" Bismarck asked, his expressions becoming stoic once seeing the serious griffons' face.

"Sir," the sergeant began, saluting at the chief of armed forces, "We have reported sighting of an army approaching steadfast towards our city."

"How long until engagement?" Bismarck expressions soured, as he began to rise from the stump.

"Hett thinks it would take them 2 days until they reach the outskirts of our city." The sergeant relayed,

"Excellent, then call up all the staff sergeants and meet me at the headquarters with Hett, we shall begin to prepare our defences!" Bismarck enthusiastically announced, as he finally had the opportunity to use his newly acquired guns. His giddiness simply made Paul sigh in contempt.

The sergeant saluted Bismarck and flew off once Bismarck returned the salute, Paul then asked, "What is his name?"

"Wess Gold, and my most reliable staff sergeant," Bismarck replied and quickly flew off towards the same direction as the previous griffon did. Paul simply laid further back, until his back was lying on the grass.

"So much for the industrialists... Not much glory yet so many contributions..." Paul contemplated, "At least I can run a giant monopoly..."

Author's Note:

You may not like the time skips,
But they are peak performance.

PreviousChapters Next