• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 8,581 Views, 383 Comments

Left 4 Dead in Equestria - Pegasi will rule



The three main survivors are about to become the three MANE survivors!

  • ...
25
 383
 8,581

Run or shoot?

Chapter 17: Run or shoot?

"Come on you overgrown puss ball!" Celestia shouted, dodging another massive fist as she rolled her elegant body off to the right. The Tank's fists came down in the spot she once occupied, leaving two massive craters in the dirt. Celestia reared around with her rifle in hand and let loose a few shots before dodging another vicious blow.

"Hey! Bitch lady!" Francis yelled. "We don't have a clear shot with your ass dancing around him!" The Tank turned and let out a thunderous roar when it saw Francis. "Ah shit!"

"Now you do!" Celestia shouted back, digging in her bag for a Molotov while she had a free moment. She cursed to herself when she saw the entire contents of the bottles had spilled all over the place, filling the inside of the bag in oil. Well, that wasn't going to work now.

Or was it?

Celestia quickly pulled out a match, striking it against her thigh. the match went up in a whoosh, which Celestia threw into the oil filled bag. "Hey, ugly! Catch!" She shouted, tossing the bag at the tank.

The monster roared mightily as the bag of oil flew threw the air in a flaming comet, trailing oil in its wake, which fell to the ground, lighting up the area in flames.

The Tank, however, easily dodged the burning mess of fuel, jumping out of the way. The Tank remained unscathed, while the forest around around Celestia, Louis and Francis began to burn.

"Great idea, lady!" Francis shouted, slapping his last mag into the rifle. "You've managed to set everything else on fire except the Tank!"

Celestia rolled her eyes and fired the last few rounds in her mag, throwing the rifle to the dirt when it finally went click. She pulled out the pistol Loner had given her and began to fire that, barely leaving a scratch in its hide. Celestia turned to Louis, who threw his weapons to the ground, pulling out a small knife he had in his back pocket. Francis fired his last shots as well, opting to use the butt of the rifle as a club.

"Well, we're shit out of luck now." Francis grunted, turning to Louis. "Hey, did you ever think Bill would be the one to kill us?" He asked. Louis continued to back up as their former friend stared them down with pure white eyes of hate.

"I thought he'd be the one to kill you. A man can only take so many beard jokes without snapping." Louis pointed out, making Francis smile.

"You know, I'd be laughing if we weren't about to die. So, any ideas left, mega-bitch?" Francis inquired as the Tank began to slowly approach the three.

"Well, I do have my backups." She smiled, pulling out the pipebomb she made from her belt. "I'm gonna have to thank Loner for this when I see him. Look, I'm not asking you two to stay. You may leave if you wish and let me kill this thing. You don't have to die here."

Francis and Louis looked to one another, nodding in confirmation. The two began to back into the woods as the Tank's eyes lingered on Celestia, never shifting from her.

"Best of luck, sunbutt!" Francis yelled, running back through the woods. Louis took one fleeting look back and sighed, torn between his good nature, and his fight for survival. He couldn't just leave the Princess alone out here with what once was Bill! She didn't deserve this kind of death! Louis turned to Francis running back the way they came, then back to Celestia as she lit the pipe bomb on the ground. His answer was simple, and it was one he knew he would make.

"Alright, you ugly piece of flesh." Celestia smiled, lighting the pipe bomb on the flames licking at her pale legs. "It's you and me now. You die here, now, and I get revenge for what your kind took from me!" Celestia charged forward, the Tank meeting her halfway. She let the pipe bomb fly from her hands towards the Tank.

The bomb landed on the ground just in front of the tank, detonating when the Tank walked over it. But, to Celestia's horror, the Tank simply charged through the flames, bringing a mighty fist to bare. Celestia backed up hastily as she watched with wide eyes how her thousands of years of life were about to end.

What she didn't expect to happen next, however, was Louis diving through the smoke, knife poised up as he let out a cry of anger. "THIS IS FOR YOU!" He shouted, plunging the blade down into the Tanks eye.

Celestia watched as the two struggled for supremacy in the fighting. The Tank's mighty arms couldn't reach over its head, so it opted to thrash about, hoping to shake Louis off. Louis, however, held onto the Tanks head tight as he continued to plunge the small blade down into its head and eyes.

Louis turned to Celestia. "Use another pipe bomb! Do it!"

Celestia froze. If she did that, then Louis would be killed! No, she couldn't loose another person; not now, not ever. Louis saw her hesitation and yelled again. "We don't have time to wussy out! Just throw it!"

Celestia relented, lighting another pipe bomb, letting it fly straight and true. Louis saw it coming and reached out, wedging it in between Bill's belt. "So long, old guy..." Louis said quietly as the pipe bomb exploded, sending him sailing through the air in a smoking heap.

"LOUIS!" Celestia yelled, trying to see through the smoke. She waited for a reply, but none came. At least none she wanted.

All she could hear was a ragged breathing. Thinking it was Louis' at first, she rushed forward through the smoke. "Louis?! Louis are you al-" Celestia was suddenly launched backwards, her chest cracking from the force of the blow. She flew straight into a bush, groaning in pain as she dizzily tried to get to her feet.

The smoke finally cleared, revealing a sickening sight. The Tanks entire left side was blown away. It was missing its arm and half of its midsection from the blast, but the bastard refused to die. And it was through playing around.

It roared, rushing forward to pound Celestia into meat, trailing half its organs behind it. Celestia couldn't do it anymore. She had no strength left to fight this incredible beast. She just laid in the bush, smiling up at the beautifully blue sky as she waited for the end. "Here I come, Loner... my love..." She whispered as the Tanks fist came down.

But not on her.

Just when she thought she was out of 'get out of jail free' cards, another one seemed to rear its head, preventing the former mare from dying in peace. Holding up the sheer weight of the blow with his bare forelegs was a red stallion with an orange mane and tail. Celestia recognized him as the elder brother of Applejack.

Big Macintosh Apple had just saved her life!

"Good going, Big Mac!" A familiar female voice shouted, jumping from the forest. Clenched in her teeth was a bottle with a burning rag stuffed in it. The mare was none other than Zoey herself.

Big Mac grunted as the fist began to lower, ebbing his strength. He turned around and smiled at the woman in the bushes. "Um, ya mind gettin' out of tha way so Ah kin put this feller down?" He asked. Celestia smiled and rolled out of the way as Big Mac did the same in the opposite direction. The Tank's fist slammed down on the bush, turning it into nothing but mulch.

Big Mac quickly got to his hooves and bucked the Tank in the face. "Ah got 'im distracted! Throw that molly-jacallit!" He yelled as the Tank began chasing him in a fit of pure, blinding rage.

Zoey smiled and spun, whipping the molotov with all her might. It found its mark, slamming into Bill's head. The Tank did not slow in the slightest as it slammed a fist into Big Mac's side, launching him into the forest with a sickening crack.

"BIG MAC!" Zoey shrieked.

"Ah'm Okay..." Came the pained voice from the forest. With Big Mac now out of visual range, the Tank turned to the mare and the woman, directing all its rage on them.

Zoey tossed Celestia something, which she barely caught. "It's my pistol. Use it!" She said, standing her ground with Zoey.

The mare sighed and looked to the ground as Celestia took aim. "I'm sorry it had to come to this, Bill..." Zoey said somberly. "You were like a father to me... I love you and always will..."

"Goodbye..."

With that, Celestia fired. That's all it took; one measly bullet between the eyes. The Tank let out a struggled gurgle as it fell to its knees, staring at the mare just a few feet away, reaching a tired arm towards her.

"Z-Zeeroooorrryy..."

The Tank finally died, falling backwards into the dying flames on the forest floor. It was over; the horrible nightmare was finally out of her world, gone forever to never bother her or her subjects again. It was strange to think about to Celestia. After fighting these creatures non-stop for two weeks with her love by her side, going back to her normal routine would be impossible. She'd never be able to readjust that quickly.

But, all that had to wait for later. Celestia looked over to the edge of the clearing, spotting Louis' prone form. She quickly ran over, kneeling by his side.

Zoey turned and watched Celestia running. What she was running to chilled Zoey right to the core. "Oh, God not Louis!" She cried, galloping over to her happy-go-lucky friend.

Celestia pressed two fingers to his neck, checking for a pulse. There was none. Louis had given up his life to help take out the Tank and save her and her peoples. She would never forget that, or what these humans have done for her land, her friends, and her.

Zoey cried as she tried to shake Louis awake, Big Mac trotting over and kneeling by her side, offering her a shoulder to cry on. Zoey fell into the stallions red coat as he slowly rocked her back and fourth. "Shh... He's in a better place along with Bill, hun... It's gonna be alright..." He soothed.

Celestia sighed, getting to her feet. Today had cost her and her friends much. Too much for one lifetime, that was to be sure. Francis and Zoey had just lost another one of their friends, and Celestia knew how the mares would react to the loss. He was a friend, a loyal, true friend.

The trip back to Canterlot was going to be a rough one...


The four hero's arrived back at the Carriage waiting them in Ponyville, where Francis was eagerly waiting. "Hey-y!" He smiled, clapping his hands. "Didn't think you'd show up, Zoey, you little pony!" He teased. "And Louis, I can't believe you stayed-" Francis halted mid sentence when he didn't see the man he loathed. "Louis? Hey, sunshine beams! Where the hell are ya!"

"Francis..." Zoey whispered, leaning into his leg. Francis saw the look on her face and a look of pure dread came over his.

"No... N-No, not Louis... Please, tell me this is a joke! Tell me you're kidding!" Francis shouted, grabbing Zoey and hefting her into the air. "TELL ME YOU'RE FUCKING KIDDING WITH ME!"

Zoey sniffled and shook her head. "Francis... he's gone... Louis died to save all of us... I-I-" Zoey trailed off, erupting into a fit of tears as Francis dropped her to the ground, falling against the carriage in shock.

How? How could Louis be dead?! How could that arrogant asshole just up and die when Francis had so many jokes to make, so many insults now left unsaid because he had to be a baby and die from a Tank! Francis punched the ground as his eyes silently welled with tears. He never wanted to admit it, not to himself or anyone in the group, but he liked Louis. In fact, he considered Louis his truest friend; someone who can take banter and dish it back without smacking you with a pool cue. Now, he'd never see Louis again, here the sunshine in his voice.

Now Francis saw the Zombie apocalypse for what it really was. It wasn't fun, it wasn't a game. Real people died, people he cared about, people he should have died fighting. If he didn't pussy out at the end, Louis would still be here. Francis hated himself more than anything at that moment. All he could do was stare at nothing in utter shock.

Celestia opened the door to the carriage, ushering all inside. "Come... We have to go to Canterlot... I'll have somepony collect the bodies. Right now, we should go tell the others. They'll want to know..."


It was one of the saddest moments Celestia had ever witnessed. Everyone huddled around each other for comfort as they cried for their friends. Zoey and Francis lost two friends in such a short time span. Friends that were near impossible to come by in their world. There was nobody left there, and it would be that way forever.

Twilight was a complete wreck about Louis; the Stallion she had come to know and care for over the past two weeks. He was so kind and gentle and smart... He was somepony she could share anything with and hold an intelligent conversation with. Never again would she hear his voice, or hold him... or tell him the things she wished she had before he left...

Pinkie Pie let Francis cry against her, rocking him as she kissed his head repeatedly to try and cheer him up. Her mane and tail were deflated, laying flat against her body. Anyone dying was horrible news, and it rocked the party pony to the very core. She felt like never partying again...

It was a very emotional day, one Celestia wished never had to happen. But, life throws massive curve balls, and in the end, you just have to learn to accept them, no matter how hard that may be. Sometimes we lose friends, and sometimes we gain them. But there's always one constant in life. Friends. They would always have friends, no matter the circumstances. They'd be there for support, for fun, for good and bad. For Celestia, there is one friendship that's really hard to get back once you loose it.

Love.

Being the eternal being she was, she never even considered it; outliving your spouse was something she never wanted to go through. But, living in a world where each day could have been your last was something Celestia didn't see happening in her life, and she also didn't see surviving it either. So, naturally she held onto the one thing that she knew if she lost, she'd be lost, too. It was foolish, but her heart sang for Loner, the mysterious man who had saved her life countless times, she returning the favor occasionally. He had made the ultimate sacrifice for her, as Louis did for those he cared for, and Coach, and Allan... So many lost, dying for something they believed in. To her, they would be hero's, honored for centuries to come. Honored because she wanted the descendants of all to know the wounds of their world, the wounds the war with the undead opened. Everyone would know for time immemorial, because as long as they all remembered them, they would never truly die.

Celestia stared out the window of her country, smiling slightly, finally able to relish in the feeling of being home. Before, it was something she didn't want without Loner by her side. But, after all that happened today, she needed to consider how precious life is, how easily it's taken for granted. Loner would want her to be happy, she knew that much. Celestia exhaled a deep sigh as she crossed her arms behind her back, whispering so softly, she barely even heard it herself.

"We remember, so you can live... And we'll never forget..."


Author's Note:

Well, this was certainly long overdue. Well, here it is; the end to our glorious journey. I hope I've thrown you through enough emotional loops for one story. But, don't quit on me now, because there's an epilogue coming out right now! Let's see how this really ends, shall we?
ALLONS-Y!