• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 8,572 Views, 383 Comments

Left 4 Dead in Equestria - Pegasi will rule



The three main survivors are about to become the three MANE survivors!

  • ...
25
 383
 8,572

A sense of normality

A sense of normality

Zoey smiled from her vantage point in the carriage as the farm came into view. But, that wasn't the only reason she was smiling.

She was smiling because she was finally free from everything, able to start a life without the fear of something gnawing her face off in the middle of the night. That, and she was flying on a chariot, pulled by Pegasi like some kind of Goddess.

She kept the smile as the chariot landed outside the front of the farm house. Granny Smith and Apple Bloom came out with faces mixed with confusion and wonder. Zoey waved the guards away and briskly trotted over to the front porch.

"Hey. So, I'm back." She said smiled awkwardly. Granny Smith smiled and slapped her on the back in greeting.

"Well, welcome back, deary! Say, now where's Applejack? We need her sorry flank back here to help her brother! Poor dear can barely wake up in the mornin'."

Zoey half smiled. "Applejack's still at the Castle. Where is the red oaf anyway? I'll go help him out." Apple Bloom smiled and hopped onto the dirt trail that led to the east orchard.

"Come on, I'll bring ya to him!" She beamed, running down the path. Zoey smiled and nodded to Granny Smith and followed, but the old mare stopped her. Zoey turned to see her giving a knowing smile.

"Big Mac may not be perfect, but he's a stallion of principle, and sweeter than molasses. You have ma blessin'." She winked, slowly walking back inside. Zoey snorted a laugh and quickly ran down the path after Apple Bloom.

"Hey, Big Macintosh!" The small voice called. The exhausted stallion lifted his head, panting as his little sister came trotting up to him. "Whoa, easy there, big brother! Yer gonna keel over from just breathin'!"

"A-Ah'm alright, sis... Ah just need ta get back ta work." He panted, adjusting his yoke. A sudden hoof lifted the yoke off his back swiftly. It felt like a ton was taken off him. He turned to see Zoey, smiling sweetly.

"She's right. Come on, you stubborn oaf. Thinking spot?" She asked, gesturing to the hill and large apple tree. Big Mac smiled and nodded, sighing in relief. Zoey looked to Apple Bloom and gestured her back to the house. The filly winked back and giggled, quickly running home.

Zoey guided Big Mac to the spot. The stallion stumbled along the way, clearly overworked. "My god, Big Mac! Are you sure you're gonna be alright?"

Big Mac chuckled and plopped down under the shade of the large apple tree. "Ah reckon. Dang, Ah could really use an apple..." He mused.

Zoey kicked the tree behind her and two apples fell in front of them. Big Mac smiled and rolled one to her, then picked the other one up in his hooves, chomping into it and smiling when the juices entered his mouth. "Whoa Nelly... Ah needed that."

Zoey smiled and delicately bit into hers. "No problem, man... So, what's up?" She asked, trying to start a conversation. Big Mac just stared at her, a small smile taking his lips. "What?"

Big Mac chuckled. "Ya ain't one for small talk, Zoey, and neither am Ah. You can cut the chitchat and just tell me why yah wanted ta talk alone."

Zoey nodded her head. "Smarter than you look, Mac. I like that. Well, I've finally realized something..." She trailed off, fiddling with the apple in her hooves. Big Mac raised a brow, keeping his smile.

"Oh? What might that be?" He asked. Zoey leaned in and kissed him on the cheek, lingering it there for a little longer than she needed to. She pulled back and sighed.

"Well, the Princess said that I should just live my life for all it's worth... A life she could never live. I respect that about her... No matter what, she wants to see others happy, even when her life is in the shitter..."

Big Mac scooted close to Zoey, nuzzling her neck. "Well, ah think it's a mighty fine lesson to live by... Mah pa tolled me somethin' like that once. He said that, no matter what curve ball life may throw at ya, just remember you're not expected to catch it alone. You'll always have friends, loved ones to help you through the tough times. Nopony's alone... Ah wish he was still around." Big Mac sighed, looking up at the large tree. "Me, Pa and Ma planted this tree when Ah was just a colt... My Ma was still pregnant with Applejack at the time. Mah father told me that this'll be a lucky tree for me." Big Mac snorted. "It wasn't really... A few years after Applejack was born, they died when our old house caught fire..."

Zoey blinked for a minute. "Wait... But, Apple Bloom is your sister, right? How can she be so young if both your parents are-" Zoey looked to Big Mac, who seemed more pained beyond measure. "She's... She's your daughter, isn't she?"

Big Mac let out a snort. "Ah was troubled after mah folks passed. Hangin' with the wrong crowds, drinkin' and doin' drugs... Ah was only twelve years old... I remember one night, Ah met a mare, at least ten years older than Ah after a night of hard drinkin and drug usin'... I bucked her brains out, but Ah didn't know she was in heat... She showed up eleven months later, just a month after Ah got clean, and left the foal with me. She was too much of a bad seed ta raise tha foal, and she barely had any money ta do so anyhow." Big Mac paused and cast a glance down at the farm to see Apple Bloom running around with Winona. "A-Ah just didn't know what to do... What I should tell her when she came to that age when she could start thinkin'? Ah was way too young ta have a foal, so I told Granny Smith ta tell her she was mah sister... And she'd be Applejack's sister... Ah lied to her my entire life, and Ah can barely stand ta look at myself in the mirror."

Zoey took everything he had just said in. Nothing about this guy said troublemaker, or degenerate. He certainly didn't seem like the kind of stallion to sire a child in that way. She held his hoof and sighed. "Wow... And you said you weren't one for small talk." She said, hoping to lighten his spirits. The chuckle she got seemed to confirm she succeeded. "Look, we all make mistakes, and no matter how hard you try to hide things, those mistakes will come out, one way or another."

Big Mac plucked a blade of wheat from the ground and placed it in his mouth, switching it from the left to the right, then back to the left. "What do ya reckon then, Miss Zoey?" He asked, continuing to watch his 'sister' play. Zoey leaned against him, ruffling his mane with her free hoof.

"I'm saying, maybe you should tell her the truth. It can't hurt things between you two, and who knows? It might even make things even better." She pointed out. Big Mac looked into Zoey's light green eyes. He just stared for what seemed like an eternity.

"You have pretty eyes, Miss Zoey." He murmured. Zoey smiled, leaning in. Big Mac did the same and their lips met, slowly and sweetly. The kiss lingered for seconds, then a minute, neither side wanting to break it. It was only broken when the sound of tiny giggling came from in front of them. They turned to see Apple Bloom with Winona right next her, panting with a ball in her mouth.

"Awww!" Apple Bloom said, smiling wide. "You tow are so dern cute! Congrats, big brother!" She cheered, hugging him tight. He tensed up and looked to Zoey, then back to his child.

"Hey, Zoey? Ya mind givin me a minute to talk to Apple Bloom?" He asked. Zoey smiled and kissed his cheek, then began trotting slowly down the hill. Big Mac watched her go, then turned to the filly, who seemed a little concerned.

"Ah'm not in trouble, am Ah, big brother?" She asked innocently. Big Mac found himself tearing up, then wrapped his daughter in a hug.

"No, no, hun... Ah have to tell ya somethin'... Somethin' I should have told ya from the beginnin'." He sighed and looked at the curious expression on her face.

"What is it?" She asked, taking a seat in front of him. The work stallion shifted his wheat stalk and gulped. This was probably going to be the hardest thing he'd ever have to do, but it needed to get done... Better to come from him directly than have somepony who really knew let it slip, like her mother if she ever came back...

"What Ah'm about to tell you is somethin' Ah should have told ya a long, long time ago... Apple Bloom? Ma and Pa... Well, they aren't your Ma and Pa..."

Apple Bloom's eyes began to well with tears. "Y-Ya mean Ah'm adopted!? T-That Ah'm not part of tha Apple family?! Are ya kickin' me out?!" She began to hyperventilate, but Big Mac placed a large hoof on her back, steadying her.

"Oh, no... You're an Apple alright. Yer Apple family to the core." He assured. She just gave him an odd, tear filled stare. "Apple Bloom? Yer... Yer mah daughter..." Big Mac shut his eyes tight as the words passed his lips, expecting to hear her wailing and crying over the revelation.

Silence.

He cracked his right eye to see Apple Bloom staring at him, a soft smile on her lips as tears rolled down her soft, tiny cheeks. "Y-Ya mean... Yer not mah big brother, but mah... pa?" She asked. Big Mac nodded, then was instantly tackled to the ground. "AH HAVE A DADDY!" She sobbed, wrapping around his neck. She nuzzled into his soft fur as he held her close, sobbing along with her.

"Apple Bloom... Ah love ya so much... Ah always wanted to tell ya! By Celestia, Ah really did! Ah just didn't know how! Ah love yah, Apple Bloom... Mah child!" He continued to sob as she hugged him tighter.

Zoey watched the scene from the front porch of the house. There was hesitation, then nothing, then a shit ton of hugging. She smiled at the scene as she continued to run Bill's old lighter in her hooves. "That's what family does... They love you, no matter what."

Zoey turned when Granny Smith came outside and sat next to her. "So, where's Big Mac?" She asked, continuing to knit. Zoey gestured up to the hill.

"He's up there with Apple Bloom... He told her the truth." She said, still smiling. Granny Smith halted for a few seconds, then let a smile creep on her lips.

"Well, Ah guess it was time she knew... Big Mac made a mistake so long ago, but that mistake turned into a little miracle. We all love Apple Bloom, and no matter what, she's always part of the family. Whether it's sister, daughter, niece, granddaughter, or great-granddaughter... Nothing's going to change between us."

Zoey nodded. "Well, I'm glad I can be a part of it." She said sincerely. She stood and stretch, casting one last look out at the two on the hill. "I'm gonna take a nap. You can tell Big Mac to wake me if he wants to talk."

Granny Smith nodded and Zoey slowly climbed the stairs up to her room. She sunk into the bed and sighed placing Bill's lighter back in her pocket. She curled up under the covers and closed her eyes, regretting that she wasn't going to be there when they put Bill out of his misery.


Celestia walked through the carriage courtyard, running off her checklist of everything that her and the two survivors accompanying her were bringing.

"Weapons?"

"Swords for each of us, our rifles, four extra clips all around." Louis confirmed.

"Explosives?"

"Just the Molotovs and pipe bombs you made, lady." Francis huffed, hefting the saddle bag awkwardly on his back.

"Alcohol?" Celestia asked. The survivors looked to one another as she bulled a bottle of hard cider out of her bag and took a pretty big swig. "Check." She wheezed, sighing happily.

Louis frowned and quickly caught up with the Princess. "Look, Celestia. I'm speaking as an... acquaintance here. I know you lost someone you love, but risking your life is something he probably wouldn't want you to do."

Tia didn't slow or show any sign the question had phased her in the slightest. "I appreciate the concern, Louis. But right now my subjects are in danger and it's my duty to protect them, no matter what."

"Wouldn't it be easier when you're a flying horse that shoots lasers out her horn?" Francis snorted. Celestia smiled.

"Well, apparently magic doesn't effect the beast. So, I'm going to take what I learned and teach it a lesson. And, I know he was once your friend, and I'm sorry. You two are brave for coming along."

Louis frowned. "It's not that we're brave, we just have a duty to Bill. He wouldn't want to live like this. He even said so himself." Louis recalled the moment in the elevator at the hospital.

"If I start to turn, promise you'll shoot me"

"What if just your beard starts to turn, can I shoot that?"

"Cut the horseshit, Francis."

Louis chuckled and turned to Francis, who remembered that as well. "I really wanted to shoot that beard..." He mused. Louis smiled and shook his head.

"Hey!" Celestia shouted from the door of her carriage. "Are you coming, or am I going to have to leave your stupid asses behind?" She asked. The two sprinted for the carriage as it began to take off, just making it inside.

"Just like Zoey?" Francis asked.

Louis nodded. "Just like Zoey."

Author's Note:

Heart wrench! Pure heart wrench! If you don't like what I did with Big Mac and Apple Bloom, then you can shove it up your pee holes, because I needed a family moment for Zoey to think about! CAUSE KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
So, anywho, just a few more chapters. Maybe two or three? Idk, we'll see. Enjoy the climax.

hehe I said climax...