• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 581 Views, 3 Comments

A Look Through Crossed Eyes - V1saCard



Growing up is a double-edged sword. As Ditzy "Derpy" Doo grows up, youth may be her only s

  • ...
 3
 581

A Grain of Salt

Dear Diary,

Well, like I said, it would be while before I got back to this diary. It’s time for my summer vacation, finally. The winter and spring breaks don’t help at all; they only make me wish for more days off so I can play. I may be just as smart as all of the other ponies, but I seriously hate homework. All of the things that we have to keep repeating over and over again are just boring. Do these pages, write this down, if I have 3 pennies how many cents do I have. I already know the stuff; just give me a test already! Anyways, I passed every class with flying colors as usual. Daddy never doubted me for a minute. Even though he's been kinda sad for awhile when we moved, every time I do something great he can still bring up a smile.

Oh, and he finally started coming out of his room. I think it was because he felt better when Mommy visited for Hearth’s Warming Eve. She used this spell that allows other ponies without wings to walk on the clouds without falling through. She came up in a big hot-air balloon and spent the whole day with us. I was really scared when she jumped out of the basket, I even screamed for her before I saw that she wasn't sinking. My daddy was super happy that he got to see her again and started smiling like he used to. I was also extremely happy, I don't think I've ever seen Daddy so happy in so long. I hadn’t seen my mommy since we left Ponyville that summer. Now, my daddy and I feel great, and Daddy is finally leaving his bedroom in the morning to go to work at the weather factory during the day.

Also, we can visit mommy whenever we like! I finally got control of my flying from the training at school. My wings don’t strain or feel sore anymore like they used to. It took a lot of work and now Daddy says I’m good enough to fly down with him to Ponyville. In fact, I asked Daddy if I could stay with mommy for a week or so over the summer. I could help her at her post office some days and just spend a lot of time with her. He said, “Yes,” so I’ll get to go to Mommy’s house next month.

When I go, I should bake her some muffins. I forgot to tell Mommy that I was in a baking club when she visited last. Later I realized that it would be a great chance to surprise her with a basket full of different kinds of muffins. I am actually very good at baking muffins now. They don’t explode like bombs and don’t deflate like balloons. They are also very delicious and even cheered Daddy up a couple of times. He even asks me to bake some for his friends and even his breakfast sometimes. I wouldn’t be surprised if something about muffin baking turned out to be my cutie mark.

Oh, I almost forgot when I was flying during the training, something really bad happened. I don't even like talking about it, but I crashed really hard into a lightpost. I just don't know what went wrong; I thought I was flying pretty good down the track. When I hit, there was actually an imprint of my face on the metal because of how hard I flew into it. Then, a light bulb fell out of a socket and hit me in the back of the head. I was told that I was knocked out for 2 days. When I woke up, I noticed my view of everything was really weird. I could see the ceiling and my bed at the same time. When I looked at the mirror, my eyes were pointing in different directions. Daddy said that I was lucky nothing else happened from the hit to the head. I just have what he called, “Lazy-eyes.” The way my eyes work now is that as long as I can focus enough at something, my vision will be fixed for a short time. Now I’m actually used to seeing with lazy eyes. Although, I still don't like it. I just wish things would go back to the way they were before this dumb accident. Daddy just keeps on saying, "You're just going to have to take it with a grain of salt." I don't even know what that means!

Thing is, when I went back to school a week later a lot of the other ponies started making fun of me. They kept saying that I was dumb and stupid. They kept calling me very mean names until somepony, I think his name was Hoops or something, started calling me “Derpy.” Then all of the other ponies began calling me “Derpy.” I didn’t even know what Derpy meant and it still felt mean. It was a horrible first day back; I just didn't know what to do. But then, Soarin and Spitfire started comforting me. I began crying a lot at school because of the meanies, but thankfully, Soarin and Spitfire were there next to me whenever I did. Soarin even explained to me that “Derpy” actually meant “clumsy” and weren’t really saying that I was dumb or stupid. I felt a little better when he said that, because I am very clumsy. That’s how I crashed to begin with.

I’m very lucky to have Soarin and Spitfire as my friends. They help me out whenever I need help with work or coping. They are always there and make feel almost as good when I see my mommy. They are also very fun to be around. Soarin always obsesses over pie and is even pretty goofy when he does. Spitfire is a very cool Pegasus and funny too. They’ve even helped me with my flying when we would hang out outside of school. They are the best friends anypony can ever have. I don’t know what I would do without them.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment