• Published 2nd Dec 2020
  • 364 Views, 3 Comments

L'amour and Lacrosse - Horse Words

  • ...
 3
 364

And it goes a little something like this...

Six-versus-six, the two teams parallel each other on the battlefield, accompanied by a bored – slightly aggravated – audience, interest lost in the game before them. Though the outcome was already known, it didn’t stop the challenging team from trying. Applejack face was stern, as she was determined to be the one to catch the ball once thrown by the opposing male team.

The referee blew his whistle, the ball went flying, and much to Applejack’s dismay, the male was able to catch it before her. Rarity, being one of the defendants, ran to stop his shot, but was unsuccessful, as he threw a pass to his other teammate. The other teammate made his shot, and as the ball spiral in full force and in reaction Fluttershy ducked, allowing the ball to score.

For the nth time.

The score changing to 0-12 the girls looked defeated. They couldn’t blame their goalie, because Fluttershy wasn’t a terrible at it per say, she was just scared of the ball hitting her, which caused her to duck every time. She wasn’t also very good at handling the ball either, evident when the ball rolled in the goal the other few times. She also wasn’t very athletic, so to speak. It all came down to reflexes, reflexes were the bad player, not her.

But it was better she stayed in the net, rather than play on the field. Theoretically speaking, if the ball was away from the net, then the team wouldn’t be able to score. And in theory that would work, however only in theory. Coordination was also a weak point, highlighted when Twilight and Pinkie collided into each other whilst trying to intervene with a pass.

Sometimes when a class had detention, instead of holding them back the professors would make them watch these games live, as some form of medieval punishment. With a mixture of frustration and second-hand embarrassment, almost all the crowd gave up on the femme team completely. Almost all, except one.

Nearing the last minute of the game, Rarity made her stance to steal the ball. Quickly shot down with a tackle, Rarity took the hand that reached out to her.

“You alright?” he asked. The boy took off his helmet, the sparkles in his eyes on full display. Rarity nodded and blushed.

“Norman,” he said, as he pointed his thumb to himself, Rarity giving her name lightly, before he placed his helmet back on, and continued to play.

Losing the game Dash gathered her girls, limps and all, back to the shower rooms. Their efforts gone not unnoticed by one girl on the sidelines, determine to take them all from rags and riches.


The next day the class was as lively as ever, a total shift from yesterdays mishap. Rarity was admiring her ideal man from a far, as her eyes filled with daydreams. How she never noticed Norman before was a mystery to her, but now that she had she just couldn’t stop. From behind her Rainbow made some argument with other student about last night’s game. Before it could escalate to anything worthy of actual dialogue the teacher entered demanding silence.

“Everyone this is our new student, Sunset Shimmer,” Cheerlie said, as she introduced a girl with fiery hair. As she passed down the row to the seat Cheerlie assigned her to, she had the attention of every eyes trail along with her, including Norman. Knowing what that attention meant from personal experience, it didn’t sit well with Rarity.

With a letter in her hand filled with her intense feelings of passion, Rarity called to Norman when the students where dismissed.

“Yeah,” he said, turning around.

“I wanted to give -” she was interrupted by her group of friends.

“What do you want, Norman,” Rainbow said, her face filled with disgust.

“Guys it’s okay, I just wanted to give -”

“Give him a heads up that next time we won’t lose so easily,” Dash said.

“Yeah, next time we’re playing by our rules,” Pinkie said.

“But we were, we had to take four members off because you only had six, which by the way shouldn’t be allowed because a team should be ten members.”

“No need to sass us,” Applejack said. The rest threw incoherent words at him, mostly showing their bitterness to their lost. Norman backed away slowly, and Rarity’s attempt of confession a failure.

“Don’t worry Rarity he won’t bother you anymore,” Fluttershy comforted her, as she saw her pout. The group went out to have lunch, leaving only the new student in the class room. Her eyes sharpened as she thought of her plan.

After school lacrosse practice were today, the hustle and bustle filled the four walls. Despite the chaotic antics of her teammates, Rarity could only focus on her letter, giving it a light peck. Entering the room, Sunset was dressed to impress, with her lacrosse sportwear. She proudly held her crosse, as she turned towards the girls.

“And who are you?” Dash asked, more so of a rhetorical question.

“You’re looking at your newest member, and as per the principal’s order, your training coach.”

“No offense Sunset, but we already have me to do that,” Rainbow puffed her chest confidently.

“And is that why you lost 0-20?”

With an interjection from the girl, Twilight interrupted their leader to give her own two cents, “She has a point,” Twilight spoke, “we haven’t won once, we’ve only scored seven times this season, five which you did, two were from Applejack, and one from Pinkie.”

“I hate to admit it to, but we’d be madder than a wet hen if we didn’t take her help.”

“Madder than a what?”

Fluttershy and Pinkie nodded in agreement, Rainbow Dash giving in, “Fine, but remember I’m the leader.”

“No, but please can someone explain what ‘madder than a wet hen’ suppose to mean?”

And through what felt like a montage from a coming-of-age movie, Sunset slowly taught the girls all she knew about the sport, from mastering the bare basics to planning various formations for future uses. It also helped that Pinkie played her Highschool Musical soundtrack as they practiced.

“Just think of the ball as a little bunny rabbit being hurled and the only way to save it is to catch it,” Sunset said, as she stepped back and threw the ball in her direction.

“Don’t worry Angel, Mama’s got you,” she said as she closed her eyes and caught the ball.

Sunset directed the other girls to practice their hand-eye coordination, the five girls splitting off, enthusiastic cheers filling the empty field. Glancing to the side, Sunset spotted Rarity sitting outcasted, her face filled with some sort of daze, but a hint of doubt.

“Hey Rarity,” she called, as the girl hid her note, “I couldn’t help but to notice that you’re a bit distracted.”

“Me? Oh no, no, no, Darling. I’m just not too into sweating and roughhousing,” she said, waving her hand.

“Or,” Sunset took the envelope from behind Rarity’s back, “you might be distracted.” Rarity took the letter, a bit embarrassed that Sunset outed her.

“You know, if we win the next match I bet he’d be impressed.”

“Darling if that was the case Dash would be the most popular girl on campus,” Rarity said.

“There’s something appealing in the underdog winning is what I meant,” Sunset said, “Also being pretty helps.”

“I am a pretty underdog,” Rarity trailed, “do you really think he’d be impressed.”

“Oh, I know,” Sunset said, “actually I think I thought of a plan – a bit controversial – but it’s foolproof.”

“Just the plans I like,” Rarity got up, dusting her uniform, Sunset gathering the rest of the team for her new announcement.

“I have the perfect plan for our next game, so listen up,” the team members were restless, leaning forward to hear more.

“What do we girls have that the other team doesn’t?”

“Boo-”

“Someone else please,” Sunset quickly overlapped Pinkie’s very true but slightly crude joke.

“Boo-”

“CHARMS! We have charms of a girl.” Rainbow shrugged, thinking her answer was the same thing, and Sunset would’ve agreed if she actually listened and not cut her off. She hoped this isn’t a reoccurring event.

“We must use our female charms and charisma to trap the opposite gender’s attention, throwing them off.”

“So, like sex appeal?”

“Well – yes, but let’s not put it like that.”

“Rars’ got a lot of that.”

“But what if they’re ga-”

Sunset cut off Dash, explaining her plan further, “We will start our plan tomorrow, by wearing matching outfits, I’m thinking sporty but chic,” Sunset turned to Rarity, “I’m making you in charge of the outfits, something with plaid skirts and midriffs preferably. And each outfit should be slightly altered to highlight each person's style, so we can look different but untied.”

Rarity nodded, and with that they were one step towards world domination, “There’s nothing like a set of statement ensembles to really make their heads turn.”


The next day the girls strutted down the lunch room, making their entrance known. Each wearing freshly iron white lacrosse outfits, the courtesy of Rarity, with plaid skirts and slight midriffs showing, their confidence and charm off the charts. The way they swayed their hips with every step, one could tell they mastered the art that is lacrosse in one night, and that in itself is enough to impress anyone.

Because everyone knew that hips could not, in fact, lie.

Passing the boys team, Rainbow flipped her hair with sass, Rarity blowing a kiss to a passing student. Meeting face to face with Norman, she gave a shy wave as he passed by, waving back. Frustrated with how flustered she was, she covered her eyes and shook her head furiously.

“It’s fine, it was just a wave.”

“Next time Rarity, next time.”

“No worries, there’s always us, y’all hear?”

“You’ll impress him in the next match.”

“So, are we eating or did we just come to the lunchroom to strut?”

“Leave it, come on let’s go,” the girls encouraged her, as they exited the lunch room.

The day of the match approached them as quickly as they wished the girls ready to take back their dignity and bragging rights.

“Today’s the day girls, today we win,” Dash said, as she rallied the girls, “I want you to give it your best, play with no regrets, show them what we’re made of!”

“I just want to thank Sunset for her training, we wouldn’t have a chance without her, and after what she taught us, I reckon we could actually win.” The girls let out another cheer, as Sunset gave a ‘aww shucks'.

“Okay on the count of three,” Twilight said, as she placed her crosse in the space between them, the others stacking their own on top of each others.

“One,” Fluttershy started.

“Two,” Rarity continued.

“Three!” Pinkie screamed as the lifted their sticks high.

Six-versus-six, the two teams parallel each other on the battlefield, accompanied by a restless– not to mention passionate – audience, fully invested in the game before them. With pom-poms and bets on the underdogs, the scene was set for a comeback.

Applejack catching the first throw, the game set foot, along with the girl as she made her way to the goal. With a successful pass to Dash, the latter was able to score one on the other team, the game looking up for the girls. However, the hype was short lived as the opposing team was able to even the scores. And so started the neck-to-neck match between the two teams, unknown to the home team the tricks their enemies had up their sleeves.

Using what Sunset taught them, Dash used a hair flip as an offense to intercept between a pass, stealing the ball from the confused male. The ball now in the girl’s possession, it was passed down the line to Rarity, who was blocked by Norman, in through trying to process her conflicting feelings tossed the ball aside, Norman intercepting. Fluttershy being the only current defence between the ball and the goal, once again went through what Sunset taught them, and gave the boy a wink.

Just as suspected, her appeal caught him off-guard enough for Applejack to steal the ball again. The match coming up to a 5-5, the girls held on to the thought of luck to help them win the game, as one shot could vitally make this a make-or-break.

Sunset maneuvered her way around the boys she was all but almost close to a goal, surrounded by the enemies. With a quick analysis of her position, she passed the ball to Rarity, leaving her with the winning shot. With only a few seconds left to spare, the girl used all the strength in her tiny body and shot her best shot. With the buzz of a siren, the scoreboard going up by one, the girls huddled together as they tasted their sweet victory.

“Good game,” Norman said, as he held his hand out for a shake. The girls pushed Rarity forward, Rarity accepting the shake.

“You gave us a good match,” she said, her face plastered with a huge smile.

Huddling once again the girls placed their crosse in the middle of the circle, “One, two,” Sunset counted, as she looked proudly at her members.

“RAINBOOMS!”

Author's Note:

Literally found this in the depths of my laptop and decided to post this up after making a neat photo. Spent more time editing the picture than the whole fic and it shows.

inspo: https://youtu.be/1pBgMBBsv4k

Comments ( 3 )

Oh man! The first time I heard about lacrosse was from my Enid Blyton books when I was a kid

I play lacrosse at my school. It’s compulsory and I hate it soooooo much. But then again I hate every sport except swimming.

*obligatory 'Lacrosse is the national summer sport of Canada' here*

Login or register to comment