• Published 31st Aug 2012
  • 837 Views, 16 Comments

Number The Night - YetAnotherBrony



What does one do in the moon for a thousand years? I numbered the nights. I never lost count.

  • ...
1
 16
 837

Chapter 4

Night 363,217

Beside the current number on the counting wall, sat the number of the night of our escape 365,394. A few different numbers had preceded it but only because calculating when the shortest night of the year would fall was difficult. We are so used to counting years as a constant three hundred and sixty five days and months as a constant thirty, that it took several attempts and many nights to get it right. Yet this number had remained there for centuries. We are positive it is right.

Though these centuries had not been fun, our only friend helps pass the time. In truth the time was cut by more than half, as our friend is always eager for control. This trait that we used to find disturbing, we now understand is her way of shielding us from such an unbearable length of time. For it has still been a very long time.

While thoughts of our eventual escape have often been more daunting than comforting, they have just been further fuel for the fire that will be unleashed on our sister. Knowing the futility of trying to escape before that glorious day, and having long ago tired of all my earlier pursuits such, we often dwelt on Celestia and what she has done.

Every interaction we had ever shared we now understood the true meaning of. What had once seemed so vastly out of character, we can now see as the inevitable result of our blindness toward her malicious nature. She is the worst kind of villain in that she is patient. She craftily manipulated everything so that we would defy her, giving her the perfect excuse to banish us, so that nopony would question it.

It was truly brilliant the way she was even able to get us to go along with the plan. The novel of her deeds floods the surfaces. For the last several years now we had been obsessed with recording them in case somehow we ever forgot. Yet even amnesia is no longer an acceptable excuse to forget, thus the words cover every surface. They are inescapable.

Several pages had inadvertently been erased by carelessness, but their contents have been replaced by worse deeds. Yet each new day the way her listed deeds is so incomplete pains me. Our hoof must not stop recording her crimes until the night we escape.

The night with that unhelpful diner keeper, made me consider going home. We so wanted to see Cely, yet the idea of returning to all that paperwork and royal duties is still revolting. So much so that we reconsidered and kept at our journey of misery for a couple more years.

Now a decade later, finally I am home. It isn’t a decision I made at any one time so much as progressively more so each day. At one point I decided to at least get closer to home, and the closer I got the more I considered stopping by. Ultimately that decision morphed into the decision to just return outright instead.

The guards greet me enthusiastically as I trot down the royal corridors. That is to say, they nod at me almost imperceptibly instead of just staring at me stoically. It is as if showing emotion would somehow cause them to forget how to hold a spear. It is for this reason I always found the presence of guards odd.

But this didn’t stop me, upon entering the throne room and seeing my sister wasn’t there, from asking one of the guards where my sister had gone.

“Her highness is taking care of a disaster in Las Pegasus, your highness,” He says quickly scarcely moving his mouth.

Briefly I consider asking if he knows when she’ll be back, but think better of it. Having waited years, waiting a few more hours wouldn’t kill me. Instead I ask him, “Are you glad to see me return after being gone for a decade?”

“Overjoyed your highness.” He says without his usual frown shifting even slightly.

Refraining from asking if he even understands what joy is, I retire to my chamber.

Leaping back first onto my comfy mattress reveals that there is something lumpy on my bed. I get up and peel a scroll off my back. There are a whole pile of tens of scrolls on the middle of my mattress.

I read the one that had been attached to me.

“Hey Luna, sorry we haven’t gotten a chance to see each other over this last... how long has it been now... a year maybe? For some reason my royal duties have significantly increased, and on the rare chance I get to slip away for a bit you aren’t around. The guards won’t tell me anything of your whereabouts during these times though, other than to become ill at ease and ultimately say they don’t know. I’m hardly surprised, as you always have liked to go out on your own without having to specifically commit to going to any one place. Even so, could you please tell the guards so that we can see each other sometime? Further, I know how much more you prefer to talk face to face, but could you please start replying to these messages. I rarely get the opportunity to scratch them down during meetings, but would still appreciate a reply. I hope we do let such little things come between us”

I am sure she meant to put “don’t” instead of “do.” She likely wrote this in a hurry. But how could she not know I was gone? It had been ten years, not one! The reason her responsibilities increased is because I left! How did she not know that? Did she really not care?! Regardless I will have to have a talk with my sister as soon as she gets back.

That conversation wouldn’t happen for another forty years. We have since realized that if anything that “mistake” in the message was at best her accidentally announcing her true intentions. Or perhaps it was there on purpose disguised as a slip up encase anyone else read it, yet meant to tell us to back off. That was probably it, as the next time they met we were forcibly removed from her life. She would learn to regret that.

~~~

Night 365,394

For one who has waited for a thousand years, one more night should be nothing. It isn’t exactly long but it could have easily been seven nights. Tonight's the night of our escape, yet ironically the stars will not align properly until nearly dawn.

The moon is slowing down. It is almost time. We double check the counting wall, for the moon’s next occupant to see the duration of their stay. Then suddenly we feel the seal on the moon break.

My connection reforming with the moon is an odd sensation since we had nearly forgotten at one point this had been normal, yet the feeling of the moon being released, as if ropes being tightly wound around it were cut, is overwhelming.

Whereas before there had been no possible method of escape, suddenly there are many. In our empowered state we knew anything that had previously failed would surely work now. We could make an entrance. The temptation to rip the moon in half is strong, but we are so tired of moon dust we teleported into the middle of the throne room.

We shouldn’t have been surprised. Celestia had always been predictable, but it is still bizarre to see Celestia in the very first place we look. Part of us want to immediately resume our battle, but how would she ever learn if we didn’t make her understand first.

“Had you really so little clue that we would escape, that you would be at such an obvious place?” I taunt.

“I should be in Ponyville right now celebrating the summer sun celebration. It is because I knew you would escape and where you would look, that I am here,” said Celestia softly. She spoke not only as though she had never trapped us in the moon for a thousand years but as if we’d never fought at all.

“You never did know when you were outmatched. This time only half the elements of harmony are on your side.” say I shoving the hopelessness of the situation into Celestia’s thick skull.

But it did not sink in, as she continued to speak calmly, “None of the elements remain on my side, but that doesn’t matter. I just want to talk to my sister. Please Luna, I know you are in there. You are stronger than Nightmare Moon.”

“Whether I am or not doesn’t matter. Nightmare moon as you call her has been at my side these thousand years when you have not. Why would I let her go?”

Celestia stares straight into our eyes with the expression she would only give when deadly serious and says, “She is controlling your mind. Of course she has made herself appear to be a friend. Look at the way she has turned you against me. Friends don’t turn sisters against each other.”

“You’re right, friends don’t do that. Only you would turn sisters against each other!” I spit.

“I had no choice! Back then you understood!”

“I was a fool! You were always more concerned about Equestria then your own sister!”

Celestia opens her mouth slightly but quickly closes it again. Our remark had clearly put her in her place and now she had nothing to say. It isn’t nearly enough to make up for the last thousand years, but her silence is a start.

“But why shouldn’t you be concerned about your popularity with the Equestrian people! They have always preferred you!” I yell.

“Luna” she says softly with a look of concern.

Her pity angers us. She doesn’t truly understand, but instead thinks we are misguided. Her prior silence is meaningless if her crimes are still a mystery to her. Thankfully there would be plenty of time to clarify.

“Is that what this is about? You can take the sun and I the moon,” she continues.

It is truly pathetic watching our sister’s attempt to understand. What had caused us to realize what kind of mare she is no longer matters. Everything she said made it clear that she hadn’t changed. She is still the same pony with empty words and naive ideals she had always been.

“We already told you that day is outdated! We want neither your sun nor your popularity! We have come to establish a new order! The Lunar Republic!”

Tiring of mere words, we charge horn first at Celestia. It is time to have our rematch. Yet no matter how close we get she does not budge. Finally our horn digs deep into her soft flesh, as we smack into her. We pull our horn out causing blood to pour from a sizable hole in her chest. Still she does not move.

Though a thousand years of peace had no doubt weakened our sister, it is still unnerving seeing her not even try to fight back. Perhaps we had, by some miracle, talked some sense into her.

“You finally recognize the superiority of our ways?” we ask.

“No, I have run out of strength to fight. I have given Equestria a thousand years of peace, now I will have to ask its forgiveness for I can give it no more. For this reason I have passed on the elements of harmony. To give it one last hope, that the blood may not be entirely on my hoofs.”

No, of course she could never realize how wrong she is. It is unusual to see her give up, but she had always been weak. Facing an opponent armed with dark powers from a mysterious entity, what else could she do, especially since she had given up her only potential advantage?

“Fool! Nopony can wield them as we could!” I scoff.

Unsure where to start with our punishment of Celestia, we teleport her to the inside of the moon with the same ease we warped out.

“I’m sorry citizens,” says Celestia with tears rolling down her face, and blood still dripping from her chest as she vanishes.

With Celestia dealt with, at least temporarily, it was hard to know what to do next, but then something she had said earlier caught up with us.

So, there is supposed to be a princess in Ponyville? As soon as we find this place, there will get a princess alright.

~~~

Night 366,002

Walking through a museum with my sister, it is hard to believe I had ever hated her. She had only ever wanted what is best for everpony yet somehow I had driven her to the point of giving up. It is tempting to blame Nightmare Moon, but she never would have existed if it weren’t for my envy.

What a waste those thousand years had been. Instead of brooding I could have fought her off. Thankfully Twilight sparkle and her friends embody the elements and are truly at harmony, unlike when Celestia and I had banished me to the moon.

It is refreshing in a way to see our legacy be passed on to one’s so young, yet it reminds me how I failed my sister. If only we were as united as when we defeated Discord, none of this would have been necessary. Even Discord’s tricks couldn’t separate them.

Twilight even tried to help me fit in. But as we inadvertently blurted out then, “They have never liked us and they never shall.” Meaning something to somepony is satisfying to a degree, and yet being the beast who gobbles children is never an image I wanted. I always hoped to be the pony citizens could relate to.

Despite hating Nightmare Moon, it is difficult to not occasionally slip up and say we from time to time. Thankfully the royal “we” served as the perfect excuse for these mishaps, yet to me they serve as a reminder of the centuries spent calling Nightmare Moon a part of me. Yet these thoughts are useless and depressing so I decide to return my focus to the museum.

History had always been enjoyable yet I wonder if Celestia doesn’t have ulterior motives for bringing me here. One night after lamenting she is the only pony I could come to, she suddenly suggests we schedule a visit. But why would she want to bring me here?

“.. and that’s how this historic rock saved an entire city.” says Celestia who had likely been saying something about it for several minutes.

She then tilts her head over toward me and whispers, “Actually no it didn’t, but historians were bugging me for some sort of artifact from that time period.”

“Cely, I truly am grateful you are spending more time with me, but why did you bring us here. We both know it isn’t just to catch up on history,” say I.

“Actually it is to catch up on history. There is an eight hundred year old tombstone in this museum that I think you will find very interesting,” says Celestia before walking to the next exhibit.

Sure enough before us sat a large tombstone fragment in a glass case. Scribbled at the top are some dates and a name that isn’t legible, but below it are words in much neater writing.

Was there really a time the lunar orb did not drag?
That night sky’s distant burning spheres did not sag?
What happened to the moon?

The night’s glowing ball was once the heaven’s delight.
Yet for generations the mournful ball is space’s blight.
What happened to the moon?

Where once each freckle of the sky was well groomed,
Not even the faintest of old talent has since bloomed.
What happened to the moon?

“Sadly I never knew him, but you had a fan so devoted who had never even seen your work, that these are the words he requested on his tomb,” said Celestia.

It is impossible. Never had anyone noticed my work while I was here, so how could anypony possibly notice in my absence. Further ponies have such short lives he couldn’t possibly have seen me raise the moon.

“He was too young. He couldn’t have known,” say I.

“Couldn’t he have? It is not uncommon for older generations to tell stories to younger.”

“You’re suggesting this pony loved a moon he never saw?”

“I’m suggesting you had several generations of fans.”

“But I never had fans.”

“Yes you did. Don’t you see what this means? It’s not that you aren’t liked and your works aren’t appreciated. It’s just that your fans are more subtle just like your art. They think you know. They think it is an unspoken understanding.”

Suddenly it dawns on me had I been my own fan, I wouldn’t have explicitly sought myself out to give me praise. I would have thought surely a princess and one who wields art in a way that isn’t so showy understands without constantly being told how appreciated she is. Realizing that my envy had been for nothing is not pleasant, but the realization of my sins had been far worse.

In fact, there is joy that went with this realization. Maybe I’m not the most popular pony but I wasn’t being ignored and I am appreciated. While this current generation didn’t know what to make of me, it didn’t always have to be that way. I could be liked.

I am delighted for the rest of the evening. What my sister is showing me means a great deal and being able to spend time with her means more. In a way, I am glad a thousand years have past, as in that time Cely had really learned how to balance the throne and her family.

We only stop teasing each other as if we were fillies again when we part in the palace to retire to our chambers.

Walking back to my room a vague whisper seems to emanate through the dark corridor, “You can be liked more than your sister.”

I look back and forth and see nopony, but notice an open window. It must be the wind.

“I can help you,” says the voice slightly clearer than before.

“You aren’t a part of me anymore!” I blurt out..

After surveying my surroundings again, I feel foolish for shouting at nothing, yet thankfully nopony seems disturbed by it. Several seconds pass but there is no voice. I am tired and it makes sense I’d imagine something that plagues my nightmares. I trot over to the window and close it.

But upon opening the door to my chambers it pipes up one last time, “Of course I am still a part of you. I am your strength.”

The voice was so low and so quiet it has to be my imagination. Yet having heard it three times it is hard to convince myself of this as I slip into bed. Periodically, I look around to make sure nopony is there, for my privacy feels compromised. No doubt my mind is making this a bigger deal than it is, but one thing is clear; I will not sleep or dream any better tonight than I had been since being restored to my true self.

Comments ( 8 )

Never truly free...

1336891 well it isn't *yawn* so I'll take that as a compliment.

1320918 drat you figured out how to retell my entire fic in three words.

1338399
I meant the *sniff* as in I was crying... I has da feels.

1338449 I thought that might be the case but it also occurred to me that maybe the horrific writing was so terrible it brought you to tears of shame at how I had degraded the story.

This was an intensely good story. I'm literally falling over myself in exhaustion, as I haven't slept in three nights, so regretfully, I can't really formulate a proper comment to express my feelings.

However, I really did like this story, and I feel it deserves much more attention then it is getting. I liked your point of view. I loved the flashbacks. I loved the writing style. The length seemed perfect. It was just a pretty flawless story. :3

-Dash

1590733
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's always nice to know there are real people reading and enjoying my fics. That said, I think Luna will forgive you if you sleep through one of her beautifull nights :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment