• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 1,093 Views, 18 Comments

Down the Darkened Path - Shawn820



"I had to give in for the others... But at least my soul is free, unlike you demons..."

  • ...
3
 18
 1,093

Chapter 4: If only...

Down the Darkened Path
Chapter 4
If only...

Celestia paced back and forth, worried about the problem at hand.

Something was bothering Rick though he did not want to speak of it. From Twilights letter she began to question what would be the problem, Rick had a strong resolve, something small would not affect him as much. What happened might have been big, or just something he fears; but from what they know, they don’t know for sure what would be the problem. She turned to one who might know the problem.

Should know the problem at least...

You wanted to ask me something?

Celestia turned towards the voice and there stood a figure, a tall stallion, an Alicorn at that but the power radiating from him was overpowering.

“Clarity... Something has happened to Rick.”

I know, I saw what happened.

“Do you know the cause of this?”

Clarity stood silent for a moment. “There are things in his past in which even I would not place upon a pony or even another man like him. His past is not the best, he still has fear of it.

Celestia tilted her head. “But what is bad enough to break him down and cry?”

I think it would be best to have him tell you, but I will tell you this now. What he did, was the best and only choice he could choose.


I was flying on my airship, heading home from the dwarven mines. The weather was fine so I had locked the altitude, direction of travel and headed below deck for a moment. The satchel at my side and my usual clothing on my back. I wear the same style and color of clothes just because they seem to fit and I think they look quite nice for work clothing.

Of course I have other clothing, but I use these mostly. Sitting at my desk I was reviewing my notes on some of the designs I had found in that underground library.

It was remarkable, the dwarfs had found a library underground sealed in a thick stone they just called bedrock.

“As stubborn as our bed frames!” They said, though they are shorter I will not say they same about their weight. Nothing bad, but they do weigh quite a bit. The last time a dwarf had stayed a night over at my house do to work the frame bent and broke under the weight!

The stone would not break under the might of their pickaxes, or even their explosives! They had sent a letter over to our town to have someone the king thought fit to come study it. Though I do not think I earned the right for this, I was stunned. I had worked with the knights before but....

Nevertheless, I had began to study the material that stood in the way, but as I touched the stone it had began to crumble! It was breaking under my touch and opening the wall, and what was before me was remarkable. Books were on shelves, the shelves were high the design was in rows but it seemed that some of the shelves had collapsed from age, not all but perhaps one or two.

I had later found out that the library was enchanted! In fact it had enchantments to not open to one who would use the knowledge for anything other than a great cause. Little did I know that cause nor did I think upon it. A book stood out from its group to reveal the purpose of this library, who could have thought this was made for the gods themselves? There are seven of these libraries across the land, all of them hold knowledge from the past and somehow even pieces of information that was never discovered yet!

I sent a letter back saying I would be staying for another day and night to gather some of the books and that I would be returning with new ideas and creations to be made. I even found some new spells, after studying the text in the books I had found out that it was spells of void. The book showed that void is the essence of everything and nothing at the same time, thus it had the ability to take any force and remove it from our plane of existence or even, with enough power, create things, it was near unfathomable, but after you find the basic points it is quite a good read.

Anyways, In my airship I have my basic tools and such to work while this flies to the destination in which I set. I supply myself for trips like this with some food and water, some trips take days to travel, thankfully this was my last day of flight back to Guardavia, but perhaps it will take another day...

It seems to have gotten dark out, I best land for the night and rest for tomorrow. Just as I was headed up the stairs I was violently knocked to the side wall from a gust of wind hitting the airship. I rushed up the remaining steps to find out, it was not night...

It looks like I flew into a storm, the clouds were black but there was no rain, just strong rouge wind and something in the air. Wait...

I reached my hands out and began to collect some of the substance in the air. It has a near look of snow, but the smell of something burn... ing...

I rushed over to edge of the airship to witness, the black clouds are not clouds but smoke.... There in the distance, was Guardavia... Burning....

More rouge wind had hit my airship breaking my stabilization, the airship is now headed to the right of the town a bit. Running to the control room, I grasped the wheel and tried to get back on the course but the winds are too strong, I was knocked to the side of the room but then something I had hoped would never happen did, one of the ropes connecting the balloon to the ship broke, and now the others are starting to tear down with them!

I was violently tossed to the side once more, I can not grab the wheel to try and stabilize the control I am heading off course!

Whilst trying to reach for the wheel to gain control of my airship once more something hit the side of the airship, not wind but something. I tried to stand up but I froze in fear at a sound I could hear, hissing....

The balloon has a hole in it....

I turned tail and ran for the stairs once more, but the last of the ropes on the right side of the ship had broke causing the ship to go one sided, the ship is being held up by one side of strings now and the ground is approaching, fast!

The window on the side, now top, of the airship began to crack and eventually shatter. raining glass on me. I looked out my window and saw that I had but seconds to prepare.

So I braced myself.

And hit the ground, hard.
















Through the black I felt something poking my side and some sound...

“Rick!”

I began to stir, trying to get up...

“Rick!”


I opened my eyes to reveal I was in a bedroom, I turned towards my left where I heard my name. There stood Spike, he looked fearful.

“Rick, are you alright? You were mumbling in your sleep, tossing and turning, and other things.”

I wiped the sweat from my forehead and nodded. “Yeah, I... I am fine. Just a bit of a bad dream.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

I looked to Spike once more. “It would not be good to hear this tale...”

“Oh...” Spike looked down, then back up. “Alright then, but don’t forget, you told me you were going to tell me a story about stuff that you did in your past!”

I chuckled to myself. “No worries, I did not forget. Perhaps I can tell you and Twilight the time I had to deal with these creatures called the Deathly Whispers.”

“Deathly Whispers?” Spike asked in confusion.

“Vile creatures, be glad they do not exist here. Trust me, I had to deal with such a creature.” I said with a small smile.

“Alright! I can’t wait to hear about them! Oh and also, breakfast is done.” And with that Spike turned and walked out of the room, leaving me to my thoughts.

The crash, the first one of the bundle. I do not know if I should be glad to say none of them were actually my fault, or worried how they were not my fault but something worse than my own errors. If only I had worked harder. If only I had reinforced the rope. If only I did not have to do what needed to be done...

Nevertheless... I can not linger to the past forever...

I lifted myself off of the bed and slowly made my way to the end of the bed. It turns out that I took my boots off before I fell asleep. I began to place them on, fastening the belt buckles to keep the boots on my feet, checked to make sure my goggles are still around my neck, and now I guess I shall head down.

These steps are actually quite small, then again, I might just have big feet...

After arriving at the table I was greeted to the sight of yellow, round, disk like objects.

“I do not mean to sound... ungrateful but, what is this?” I said while using a fork to poke the substance.

Twilight tilted her head in confusion. “What? You never had pancakes before?”

“Pan... Cakes? I can not say that I have ever had something with that name, for the breakfast I had at home consisted of small sandwich and a mug of milk...”

“Try it, you will like it.”

I shrugged, this might possibly be a new breakfast in which I could enjoy. Using the fork I removed a small piece of the pancake and began to take a bite.

A moment passed, Twilight nudged Rick in the shoulder. “So, what do you think?”

Rick simply placed his fork down, faced Twilight, and with a straight face responded.




“What other consumptions have I been missing out on?”

Author's Note:

Rick got to taste pancakes.

Welp...

On the other note I have been thinking up some random things for Rick to shout.
By the sight of Clarity!
By the power of Order!
Basically the 'Oh my god' in his format.
7 gods and 7 demons.

So, leave a comment and tell me what you think of this so far!
As always, See you all next chapter!

Hopefully!

Comments ( 4 )

Hope to dear god that he doesn't get a cinnamon roll.

2000048
I am so going to do that. This shall be Pinkies challenge, get Rick to try a number of new foods, mostly sweets.

2000139 May all godly beings in all universes have mercy on our souls.

2961820
I tried to play it at one point, it just isn't my type of game so I couldn't get use to it.

Login or register to comment