• Published 3rd Oct 2020
  • 4,782 Views, 625 Comments

As the Spring Bloom Withers - Jinzou



Apple Bloom was nervous about the upcoming derby, but she never thought there'd be so much to lose.

  • ...
14
 625
 4,782

Chapter 7

By the time I woke up, the sun had set.

I stretched out and brought up a forehoof to wipe the sleep from my eyes, freezing when I felt something on my face.

I reached over to my nightstand to click on the lamp, and stared at the mirror on the other side of my room. There was a bandage on my face, and another bandage wrapped around my foreleg.

Somepony must have patched me up after I fell asleep.

And just with my luck, it was probably Applejack.

I felt my upper lip curl as I considered tearing off the bandage, just to spite her. I mean, she wanted to cripple me, but now she wanted to play nurse?

After a moment of pawing at the bandage, I decided against it. There was doing things out of hatred, and then there was just being dumb.

But hey, I was already useless, why not be dumb too? What's that joke Applejack always used to make around Twilight? There's happiness in ignorance?

And again, it came back to Applejack. I couldn't go anywhere without something being tied to her.

I let out a scream of rage and threw my pillow at the mirror.

Nothing broke, there was no big dramatic crash, and I didn't magically feel any better.

I was not going to accept being some useless pony my entire life, being watched over until I pass.

No, I had to prove myself some way.

I ran down the ramp next to my bed, down the ramp covering the stairs, and out the door.

Breathing heavily, partially from running, partially from anger, I whipped my head around, looking for… something. Anything.

My gaze settled on the dark outline of a nearby apple tree.

I let out a mighty cry and charged at it, determined to knock an apple loose. Or at least shake some leaves off. To do something.

Right before hitting the tree, I threw all my weight down and to the left, successful crouching and sending the wheelchair flying into the tree.

My body jolted, and I almost fell onto my side. No apples fell. No leaves shook. The tree didn't respond.

No, I wasn't gonna take that.

I ran a good distance away, and charged again. And again. And again. Until minutes later I was lying with my face in the dirt, fighting another breakdown.

"Useless..." I muttered to myself. "Useless, useless, useless."

"Well, there you are," a familiar voice called out from above me.

My head snapped up to locate the voice of the sound, and I saw two violet orbs peering down on me from a branch above me.

"I was thinking I was gonna have to wait here alllll night," the voice chuckled, rolling its eyes.

But that voice… what was she doing on the farm at this hour?

"Scootaloo?" I ventured. "What are y'all doing here this late?"

There was a soft noise as Scootaloo's hooves hit the dirt beside me. She cleared her throat and sat down right next to me.

"I was waiting for you. And then I fell asleep in the tree."

"But… why?" I blinked. "And how did y'all know I would be here?"

"Because I know you, Applebloom. And it's exactly what I'd do in your situation."

“Okay…” I poked at the ground uncertainty. “So uh, I’m here. What were you waiting for? And ain’t you gonna be in trouble with your aunts for sneaking out?”

“Eh, my aunts aren’t watching me tonight. I’m staying with Sweetie Belle and Rarity tonight. We were gonna invite you also to spend the night, but you kinda… ran off first. And I’m here to talk some sense into you.”

“Some sense?” I laughed harshly. “About what? About runnin’ when Diamond Tiara did that to me? About bein’ mad at Applejack?” I felt my voice starting to raise. “About the fact that I’m a stupid cripple now?!”

Scootaloo shoved her hoof in my mouth.

“About that. That’s ridiculous. You’re not stupid or a cripple. You’re gonna still be a great pony.”

I knocked her hoof away. “I don’t have my cutie mark. I can barely do anything by myself. And y’all remember what happened with Sweetie earlier. How can y’all say that? Besides, what would you know?”

“I don’t know, Applebloom, what would the flightless pegasus know about being a cripple?” Scootaloo retorted sarcastically.

That shut me up.

We were both silent for a moment.

“Do you remember what happened when Diamond Tiara made fun of me for not being able to fly?” Scootaloo asked softly.

“Um, yeah,” I responded timidly, “we weren’t very nice to you, and you stayed behin’ on the trip. Rainbow talked some sense into us, and we kicked plot in the trials.”

“And…” Scootaloo drew the word out. “Do you remember how I spent two straight days trying to fly, and just flopped every time?”

I just nodded.

“Applebloom, do you think I’m some stupid cripple?”

“‘Course not!” I replied loudly. “Y’all are a great pony, and I’m proud to call you my friend, why, even without being able to fly you can do jus’ about anything y’all… set your… mind... to...”

I couldn’t see her in the dark, but I knew Scootaloo arched an eyebrow and smiled. I could feel the smirk radiating off of her.

“Oh,” I replied awkwardly, “I see what you’re tryin' to do here.”

“Exactly. But, I'm not dumb, and I know I can't fix anything with words. But I promise to do everything I can to help you find your happiness, okay? Us cripples gotta watch each other's back."

My face was suddenly very wet.

“Y-yeah. Thanks.”

“Oh, and on the topic of Diamond Tiara…” Scootaloo giggled. “Let’s just say I left you a present at school tomorrow. Sweetie Belle will show you it.”

“Wait, why would Sweetie Belle show me your present? And you didn’t have to get me nothin’!”

I saw Scootaloo wink at me as she stood up. “I really did. And I think you’re going to enjoy it. But I need to get going before Rarity starts a search party for me, and you need to get some rest. Unless you wanna wake somepony in your family up and ask if you can come with me.”

I briefly considered that.

“Better not. Everypony in my family is a heavy sleeper, and I kinda need… some help with things in the mornin’. Things I’m embarrassed enough just asking my family about.”

“That’s fair.” Scootaloo shrugged. “Good night, Applebloom!”

I watched her take a couple steps away before calling out.

“Scootaloo, wait!”

Scotaloo turned around.

“What’s up, Applebloom?”

“Can uh… can you help me with one of the straps on my wheelchair? It’s out of reach for me.” I felt blood rush to my cheeks.

The blush just got fiercer as Scootaloo padded over to me, and undid the strap easily with one quick movement.

“...Do you need help with anything else?” Scootaloo asked after a moment.

I picked at the ground idly. Well I could probably get the wheelchair off from here, but…

“Applebloom.” Scootaloo’s voice adopted a serious tone. “I’m not gonna judge you for some issue out of your control. Really. It’s like you said that one time, we’re like family, right?”

I stared at the ground for a moment, before meeting Scootaloo’s steady gaze.

“I um… I just… Okay. Jus’... don’t mention this to nopony else. Ever. Please.”

Scootaloo just chuckled as she started leading me back to the house.

“Applebloom, you’re the only one making this weird.”

“...You say that now…” I muttered under my breath.