• Published 3rd Oct 2020
  • 4,739 Views, 625 Comments

As the Spring Bloom Withers - Jinzou



Apple Bloom was nervous about the upcoming derby, but she never thought there'd be so much to lose.

  • ...
14
 625
 4,739

Epilogue

After Applejack got out of the hospital time flew by much quicker.

Forgiving her hadn’t erased all the bad feelings like I’d hoped, and I found I got short with her much quicker than anypony else.

While she was still my sister, she still made a mistake that screwed me for life, and no matter how desperately I wanted our bond to go back to how it was before the crash, I was starting to think it never would.

I thought forgiving her would be the hardest thing I’d ever emotionally have to do.

Well, I’m not gonna try and directly compare them, but three months later something else happened.

We were holding some elections for Student President, and who’d have guessed, Diamond Tiara was running.

But so was Pip.

When he asked us to be his campaign managers, we were like “What the heck, campaign manager cutie marks, maybe?”

So we sang a couple songs, Pip got elected, and we didn’t get our cutie marks. We were like 0-200 at that point, but oh well. What can you do?

But no, that’s when something else happened.

We were walking around downtown after school got out, thinking of maybe getting a celebratory bite to eat at Sugarcube Corner, when it happened.

When I first saw Diamond Tiara’s mom, my own thought was “what the hay happened to her muzzle? That can’t be natural.”

But then she started raising her tone with Diamond Tiara.

And then she raised her hoof to the sky, stared right at Diamond Tiara, and Diamond Tiara flinched.

Not like “I heard a loud noise and my eyes shut all on their own.”

No, like she was expecting to get slapped.

Like that had happened before.

And then Diamond Tiara’s mom started talking about how trash all blankflanks were, and how Diamond Tiara needed to beat them at any cost, no matter what.

This was also in public too, though I’m not sure anypony else heard.

Well, a lot of things started making sense right then.

Then Diamond Tiara started singing. Singing about how she wasn’t the kind of pony she wanted to be, and had no idea how to change.

We ran right to Twilight and told her everything.

Diamond Tiara wasn’t at school the next day.

But she was the day after.

And she had the biggest, most innocent smile I’d ever seen.

She took me, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo off to the side that day after school, joined by Silver Spoon, who actually seemed proud.

And she apologized to all three of us.

She apologized for all the years of bullying, then she looked between Scootaloo and I, and said the last thing I’d ever expect to come out of her mouth.

“I don’t expect you two especially to forgive me after the horrible things I did to you, but I’m really sorry. I’ll leave you alone from now on, but if there’s anything you two need, please let me know and I’ll do my best to earn your trust.”

I only accepted the apology at first, but after a week and a half of her actually showing change every single day, I did the one I never thought I’d do.

I forgave her.

It wasn’t an easy choice, and my mind was screaming “No!” the entire time, but I had a long talk with Applejack about it - she seemed the best choice due to obvious reasons - and eventually I did.

Again, it wasn’t just a clear cut “we’re friends now and it’s not weird at all” like I was hoping, but hey, at this point, I’ll take it.

Of course, I kept fiddling around and trying to invent new things, and that led me to the top of the mountain our sisters had found that one sleepy dragon at, six months after Applejack got out of the hospital.

It was for a special occasion.

It was Scootaloo’s birthday.

And I had worked on her present for almost two months.

I led them up, and they saw the gift in all its glory.

A large tank, a leather harness attached to the bottom, steel slabs jutting out the side, and a large piece of metal attached to the bottom of the tank.

“Uhhh… Applebloom? What the hay is this?” Scootaloo questioned. “I mean, thanks and all, but what is it?”

“Your birthday present!” I smiled.

“Uh, that’s.... awesome?” Scootaloo blinked.

“I was thinking of that time we all got them fireworks, an’ Sweetie Belle here blew them up before we was supposed to,” I explained. “Those dang things nearly knocked me on my flank, so I asked Twilight if there was any way to control explosions like that.”

“A controlled explosion is called a detonation,” Sweetie Belle clarified. We both gave her funny looks.

“Anyway, we talked for a mite. And then I came by the next days with some plans and we started plannin’ this,” I finished.

Both my friends just stared on, equally confused.

“Well, see, it’s filled with some chemical called uh… ‘thethlyborate’… ‘triethylborane’… uh, sumthin’ like that. Th’ important thing is that it burns in air.”

I walked over and tapped the metal tank.

“So Twilight an’ I did some thinkin’. I asked her if you could put it in a container an’ enchant the chamber so just the inside was cooled, if it’d be safe. When she said yes, I came up with this crazy contraption.”

I pointed at the bottom of the tank.

“There are three chambers. This here bottom one has the chemical, an’ has a magically controlled temperature.”

I pointed to the middle area.

“This part has water. There ain’t no special temperature magic schmagic goin’ on here.”

I pointed to the top of the tank.

“This here part has somethin’ Twilight called an ‘impeller’ in to to raise th’ pressure.”

Sweetie Belle cocked her head to the side as Scootaloo furrowed her brows.

“So… you spend two months with Twilight making… a tank that has different temperatures in the same area?” Scootaloo started uncertaintly. “Thanks, I guess? What’s the weird looking shield thing at the back, too?”

Scootaloo gestured at a long piece of metal jetting out from the nozzle in the back of the tank.

“That’s so y’all don’t burn your tail off, Scoot,” I smiled.

“But... why would I burn my tail off?” Scootaloo questioned.

“Well, you know that chemical I was talkin’ about that burns in air, right? So if it bleeds into this sealed off nozzle doohickey, and y’all can hit a pedal that releases the pressure from that impeller chamber an’ opens the base of the nozzle here…”

I walked over and tapped a pedal attached to the bottom of the tank. The base of the nozzle opened up and a large flame burst from the pack, knocking open spring-clamped valves at the end of the nozzle and knocking the whole contraption over, immediately shutting off the flame as the nozzle slammed back shut.

“Y’all can get lift!” I finished with a flourish.

Both of my friends continued sharing confused faces for another moment before a manic smile appeared on Scootaloo’s face.

“So… y-you mean?” Scootaloo trembled.

“If I’m right, y’all can fly right next to Rainbow Dash with this.” I smiled back.

“Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!” Scootaloo yelled, practically tackling me and throwing her forelegs around my shoulders. “Applebloom, you’re the best! Thank you!”

I hooked a foreleg around Scootaloo and nuzzled her. “You’re welcome. Happy birthday, Scoot.”

“B-but…” Sweetie Belle spoke cautiously. “How is Scootaloo gonna be able to lift this? It looks really heavy.”

The smile wavered from Scootaloo’s face as she broke out of the hug.

“Princess Twilight enchanted it wit’ light weight. Should weigh ‘bout the same as our saddlebags on a school day,” I replied quickly.

The smile returned to Scootaloo’s face.

“Can we try it now?” She asked eagerly.

“All we gotta do is hook you up to th’ harness an’...” I paused. “One condition, Scootaloo.”

“Anything!” She chirped back.

“Until I can make sure I can fix this up so it’s perfectly safe… I don’t want y’all using this without an adult pony around. Preferably a pegasus. This is dangerous stuff.”

Scootaloo frowned. “Applebloom, I’m not some small foal, I can handle some risks.”

“Scootaloo…” I started.

“Besides,” Scootaloo put a forehoof placatingly on my shoulder. “I do dangerous tricks and stuff on my scooter all the time! This should be nothing.”

“Scoot-” I protested weakly.

“And even if I have a little accident, so what? I can take a fall. You’ve seen me do it several times. We’re tougher than we look, remember?”

“No!” I shouted, knocking her hoof off and poking her in the chest. “An accident with this can involve you blowing up in midair! I may be lucky to only be half paralyzed, but I sure as heck ain’t letting you roll th’ dice and maybe end up dead! Agree to my terms or I’ll break this here thing apart right now!”

Mirroring looks of shock appeared on both Sweetie Belle’s and Scootaloo’s faces. But I wasn’t going to apologize. They say live and learn, well I learned a whole lot after the cart crash, and I was gonna make sure I used it so Scootaloo could live.

Scootaloo bit her lip. I could tell she wanted to argue back, but I guess I had some sort of crazy desperation on my face that shut her right up. She just sighed and sank to her haunches.

“Alright Applebloom, you win. I promise.”

I realized at this point I was breathing heavily and my eyes were burning.

I took several deep breaths to calm me down as I wiped my eyes.

“Now look,” I continued. “This ain’t the whole surprise. Twilight asked Rainbow Dash to wait nearby, saying she got a surprise for her too. So we’re gonna get y’all all strapped up in this, and y’all get to share your first flight with your big sister. Don’t that sound nice?”

Scootaloo’s whole body shuddered as tears appeared in the corners of her eyes.

This was the first time I’d seen her tear up since the day we volunteered to carry the flag in the Equestria Games.

But these weren’t tears of sadness.

These were tears of joy.

Scootaloo pulled me into another hug and softly whispered into my ear.

“You really are the best, Applebloom.”

I pulled her in closer and whispered back.

“This is just me getting square for all those pep talks that meant th’ world to me. I couldn’t’ve made it through this past half-year without you.”

I put myself to work strapping the eagerly shaking Scootaloo in as Sweetie Belle padded around us, eyeing the contraption warily.

“Are you sure this will work, Applebloom?” she asked nervously.

I let out a quick laugh. I’d never admit it to them, but I had practiced what I was gonna say next.

“Cross my heart, hope to fly…”

I pulled the final strap and smirked.

“Put a pegasus in the sky.”

I kicked the lever that opened the nozzle, and with a cry of pure joy, Scootaloo rocketed into the sky.

Sweetie Belle and I idly watched Scootaloo pull flips and tricks for a couple moments, dopey smiles mirrored on both our faces as we watched our friend live out one of her dreams.

But that was just the start.

“Now if only I could make it a bit safer, so she don’t need no supervision…” I muttered to myself.

“...Applebloom.” Sweetie Belle called out in a breathless voice.

“I like the idea of powerin’ it with steam. Maybe work more with that so I don’t need no dangerous chemicals?” I continued muttering.

“Applebloom! Applebloom!” Sweetie Belle insisted.

Ignoring her, I pawed at the ground for a moment.

“Maybe have it so th’ pressure system is more easily worked with? I don’t like th’ thought of what’d happen if the pressure built up too much and was ignored...”

“APPLEBLOOM!” Sweetie Belle demanded, slamming her forehoof into the ground.

“What?!” I snapped a little more forcefully than intended.

“You got your cutie mark!” She grinned, pointing at my flank.

“I… wha- huh?”

My head whipped around, and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

On my flank was an image of a wrench crossed with a bone, making an “X” over the image of a gear.

It was…

I had a...

My whole body started shaking. I had a… I had a cutie mark?

After all of this?

“Oh my Celestia, Applebloom!” Sweetie Belle squealed, throwing a hug around me. “I’m so proud! Congratulations!”

I couldn’t believe it.

I turned as best as I could and poked my flank. It moved with the skin.

...It was… It was real

“...I did it,” I spoke in a shaky voice.

“You did!” Sweetie Belle grinned.

“I did it!” I laughed. “Oh my stars, I did it!”

“You did do it!” Sweetie Belle laughed louder.

“I DID IT!” I screamed, throwing my own hug around Sweetie Belle as I squealed wildly into her coat.

The sun rose fully on that day with the excited squeals of two fillies on the ground, as another filly was joined by her sister in the sky, all four of them watching a dream come true right before their very eyes.

Y’know, I didn’t need all four legs to be useful.

In fact, I was pretty happy where I was right now.

Comments ( 99 )

10478503
Thanks! I'm so glad you liked it!


10478575
I'm happy you liked it, and that you think I portrayed the characters well. That's always my biggest concern on these longer fics I write.


10479016
Oh yeah, if that shit in the final chapter didn't happen, it's still be hate all around.


10479089
Aw, thanks! :twilightsmile:

A very nice ending for AB. And nice Cutie Mark idea too!

Could you create a image of the cutie mark?

Wasn't expecting a epilogue, but this is nice. GOOD JOB APPLEBLOOM! YOU MADE IT.

Awww! That was a perfect epilogue!

10479109
Thank.


10479112
She will.

At the end of her natural life.


10479120
I am too incompetant with technology to do that.


10479121
It's been a long, hard road. But she deserves it.

... Eh. The story got better I admit. But you still got the dowvote for the thing with DT a few chapters ago. No excuse you make up will ever justify it. No I'm not sorry either.

10479127
Glad you liked it!


10479133
That's fine. To each their own.

10479136
Of course! It's beautiful!

Mmm... Good ending. I love it!

10479133
What are you going on about?

10479168
Thanks!


10479171
I had DT do some hardcore bullying earlier and he didn't like it.

I was wondering if Apple Bloom would earn a cutie mark in inventing/mechanics. Beautiful way to end a beautiful story! :derpytongue2:

10479353
She is a smart one. Thank you.

Wow, this was an unexpected epilogue. I thought things were more or less wrapped up.

10479446
Well they were. But I had to add this in anyway.

...
I like this better than what the show did.

Oh, I was wondering if she’d get her cutie mark like in the show

That epilogue made sure this story secured a spot in my "Can't Sleep ?" Top Shelf of my library, where I keep the best stories I've read.

Apple Bloom getting her Engineering cutie mark was an excellent touch.

10479581
The show could have done it so much better, agreed. And thank you.


10479665
Aw, thanks! :twilightsmile:

This is a fantastic story 10/10 thank you

I like the ending it was sweet

Why is this making me cry.

10479777
Thank you so much!


10479814
Glad you enjoyed it!


10479850
'Cuz you're proud of smol appul.

10479909
Yes... now can you write something more cheerful?

Well, see, it’s filled with some chemical called uh… ‘thethlyborate’… ‘triethylborane’… uh, sumthin’ like that.

Incendiary weapons are outlawed by Geneva convention :rainbowlaugh:

Princess Twilight enchanted it wit’ light weight.

Couldn't Twiggles just do that to Scootaloo?

Best. Ending. Ever.

Thank you for the great story and I love the ending

10479120
if it's not too late I might be able to whip something together.

And then Diamond Tiara’s mom started talking about how trash all blankflanks were, and how Diamond Tiara needed to beat them at any cost, no matter what.

Sounds like she's an bad influence for minors.
Or everyone, for that matter.
(And wasn't she on the school board?)

Then Diamond Tiara started singing. Singing about how she wasn’t the kind of pony she wanted to be, and had no idea how to change.

Solving things with a song.
That's the pony-way to deal with surprisingly many problems.
But hey, as long as it works...

I led them up, and they saw the gift in all its glory.
A large tank, a leather harness attached to the bottom, steel slabs jutting out the side, and a large piece of metal attached to the bottom of the tank.

I have a bad feeling about this...

“I was thinking of that time we all got them fireworks, an’ Sweetie Belle here blew them up before we was supposed to.” I explained. “Those dang things nearly knocked me on my flank, so I asked Twilight if there was any way to control explosions like that.”

...I'll just leave this one here: (1:22)

“Until I can make sure I can fix this up so it’s perfectly safe… I don’t want y’all using this without an adult pony around. Preferably a pegasus. This is dangerous stuff.”

An excellent idea.

“You got your cutie mark!” She grinned, pointing at my flank.

:heart:
(Even if I'm not sure yet what it actually means...)


Good epilogue for an good story!
I enjoyed redaing it.

10479970
That's assuming the entire reason she can't fly is she's too much a fatass to get lift.

My headcanon is that pegasi have magical pathways in their wings they use to help fly (because their body shape and all things considered, them being able to fly doesn't seem realisitic) and scoot's are missing or damaged.


10479999
Yeah, I suppose.


10480018

10480045
Aw, thanks! :twilightsmile:


10480197
Looks great!


10480553
She was on the school board. Princess Twiggly Wiggly made sure she isn't anymore.

Hey man, songs work.

This rocket was a tad smaller.

And as for the cutie mark?

It's at the basic, kinda for engineering, but specializing in creating tools to help disabled/hurt ponies use technology to overcome their issues.

Like a winch.

Or a jetpack.

10480648
She can hover with some strain. Less gravity should work (No auto-da-fe is a bonus)

10480782
Fair, but if the solution was that simple twi would have done it by now.

10480648
Maybe one day she will be visited by an dragon who is unable to beath fire, asking for help...

10481796
...and then the flamethrower was invented

The epilogue was amazing!
The whole story was great.
"Cross my heart, hope to fly, put a Pegasus in the sky."
-broke me into a huge grin.
And her mark?
Inspired.
A rare add to my favs for this one.

10484701
I'm so glad!

That "put a Pegasus in the sky" line was a last minute addition. Glad you liked it, though.

10484721
Can I use that line?
It's inspired.

And what does Apple Bloom get her cutie mark in? Cybernetics! Or as cybernetic as ponies can get with their level of technology.

10487399
It's more meant like helping others overcome injuries/physical disabilities, but that's a good interpretation too.

When I first saw Diamond Tiara’s mom, my own thought was “what the hay happened to her muzzle? That can’t be natural.”

BURN!

I only just found out about this epilogue.

10497127
Yeah, that was about my first thought in the show too. :twilightsmile:

10503835
What would a first person cover look like? Most covers I've seen are of the character on this site.

Plus I feel hard emotional moments hit harder in first person.


10504228
Redheart was more saying "this is a safety violation, and for a reason. This event led you to your current medical point."

Applejack did know just how badly it affected her sister, but she was running on empty mentally and a bit in denial. She came accross with a front of "oh, you're okay" because she wanted applebloom to think that, for both their emotional states.

Also why she didn't shut up.

There is so much I want to say here, having read the entire story front to back.

Personally, I've never really been the biggest fan of stories about the subject matter. Seeing characters like this crippled, blinded, paralyzed or what have you has always made me squeamish. Maybe I just have too much empathy for these fictional ponies and how this can change their lives forever :raritycry: This is doubly true for someone like Apple Bloom; she works on a farm and has been bucking apples her entire life. Without her legs, she's essentially useless. With that in mind, I sort of avoided this story for a bit.

But then I just decided to jump into it with an open mind. And in spite of everything I just said, I came out loving it. If this were simply about Apple Bloom losing her legs and having to learn to deal with it, I probably would have stopped at chapter 1. However, it was surprisingly more layered than I thought it would be: it being inadvertently Applejack's fault for her condition, Apple Bloom holding a grudge against her, the ways all the new changes to her life are explored and detailed, how well Apple Bloom as a character is captured by writing it from a first-person perspective, Apple Bloom's continued hatred for Applejack causing her to turn to alcohol... all of it comes together to make one of the saddest and most heart-wrenching fics I've read yet, but one that kept me intrigued from start to finish. Some parts regarding Apple Bloom being crippled still made me uncomfortable as I've detailed above, but that does in no way take away from how well the story was written.

I only have a handful of stories under my belt, most of which I've yet to finish. I'm far from qualified to be an actual reviewer and analyze stories like this to say if it's among the best of the best. But you have my seal of approval nonetheless. And a permanent addition to your followers list :twilightsmile:

10506639
Aw, you're too nice.

Yeah, part of the reason this took so long is that it was kinda a risky topic. I rewrote quite a bit.

And also first person Applebloom is surprisingly easy to write.

I'm glad you think I did it well, and that you enjoyed it!

And you don't need to have many stories under your belt to be a good reviewer

10507836
Well it's an AU. It's switched up a bit. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment