• Published 3rd Oct 2020
  • 4,751 Views, 625 Comments

As the Spring Bloom Withers - Jinzou



Apple Bloom was nervous about the upcoming derby, but she never thought there'd be so much to lose.

  • ...
14
 625
 4,751

Chapter 4

It was quiet for a long time.

Briefly, Redheart came in to bring me food and tell me that the fitting of my wheelchair was coming along with my first therapy session tomorrow.

Then she had left.

And it was quiet again.

I wasn't hungry. I tried pushing the food off the bed, but couldn't move my core enough to push it far enough.

I couldn't even do the simplest things.

Useless.

For a few hours, I floated in and out of awareness.

I didn't think.

I was empty.

I was exhausted.

But I couldn’t sleep.

It must have been evening by the time I heard it.

There was the sound of something wheeled racing along the hallway outside my room. A moment later there was a stampede of hooves hitting the ground, chasing after whatever it was.

And then they entered the room.

Those two ponies.

For a moment we all stared at each other.

I almost cried. I might have if I wasn't so exhausted.

But one of them did.

That same pony was next to me on the bed a second later, throwing her arms around my neck and quietly crying into it.

The other was on my other side a moment later, uncertainly chewing on her bottom lip.

"Hey girls," I breathed.

"Applebloom…" Scootaloo trailed off. "Are you okay? Wait, I mean…"

I chuckled weakly. "Well, I ain't showing my insides to y’all right now. so… I guess I could…”

I couldn’t bring myself to say I could be worse.

I couldn’t walk. I couldn’t do things on my own. I didn’t have a future anymore.

“I could be better,” I eventually finished.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo shared a glance.

“So…” Sweetie Belle squeaked. “What now?”

I sighed.

“Tomorrow I get a wheelchair, and they start teaching me how to live with… y’know.” I waved my forehooves around. “Only two usable legs.”

Sweetie backed out of the embrace. “So you’re like that… forever?”

I let my legs fall limply. “Yeah. Sounds that way.”

A minute or two passed in silence.

“How did you girls get in here?” I finally asked. “I told th’ nurse I didn’t want to see nopony else.”

Scootaloo grinned. “My idea, actually. We weren’t just gonna let you suffer on your own, so we got some help! And a distraction.

“Twist volunteered to cause a scene so we could sneak in. She told us to tell you ‘hi’.” Sweetie Belle explained, glancing at the door. “I sure hope she didn’t get in trouble.”

I clenched my jaw tightly shut as my eyes burned.

Twist? The filly I so rudely dropped and almost completely stopped talking to after I met Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle? She risked getting into trouble so my friends could come comfort me?

I… am a horrible pony.

“Well…” I felt my voice go high as I suppressed a sob. “T-tell her thanks.”

“...Applebloom?” Scootaloo asked softly.

“Can I… I want to…” I tried vainly to force myself into a sitting position, but my core didn’t respond.

I gave up after a moment and let my head fall to the pillow, holding my forehooves out to my friends.

After a moment of confusion, Scootaloo and Sweetie pulled me into a group hug. I probably would have cried there too if I had any tears left.

We stayed like that for what felt like hours until my embarrassment got the best of me and I laid back down into the bed.

“T-thanks,” I muttered, my cheeks currently the same color as my mane. I awkwardly cleared my throat, then struggled to think of something to break the awkward silence with.

“So uh, did y’all make it out okay?”

“Aside from this cool scar I’m gonna get.” Scootaloo smirked as she pointed up toward a covered up gash on her left brow. “The Doc said Sweetie and I only have something called whiplash, which is just kind of a pain in the neck.”

I blinked. “What is it?”

Sweetie chuckled. “No Applebloom, Scootaloo means it’s literally a pain in the neck. The pain in the neck is a pain in the neck.”

I felt myself giggle.

A giggle that soon turned into a genuine laugh.

And before too long, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle joined in.

For a few moments we just laughed, and it almost felt like the old times.

But all good things must come to an end.

Scootaloo wiped a tear from her eye with a final chuckle. "But in all seriousness… I know we can't really do much, but is there anything else we can do for you?"

I chewed on the inside of my cheek for a few moments. There was something I was dying to ask, but I didn't think I could bring myself to say it.

The sympathetic looks of my friends reassured me that I would not be judged.

"I just… don't wanna be alone right now. Can y'all…" I hesitated. "Maybe stay… uh, stay th’ night?"

Scootaloo laid on the pillow next to me, smirking as I let out a colossal yawn. "As long as you need, Applebloom."

"I don't want y'all to get into trouble," I replied tersely.

"Rarity will probably be angry that I didn't let her know, but she'll get over it. She'll probably be okay after I explain myself, considering your situation," Sweetie said slowly.

"And I have Rainbow Dash watching over me tonight. Considering both our sisters know we were trying to visit you, I don't think she'll be mad. She'll probably be proud!" Scootaloo exclaimed.

For a few moments, we all stayed in silence.

“So what now?” Sweetie Belle yawned.

“Ghost stories?” Scootaloo suggested.

Taking that as her cue, Sweetie Belle magically switched off the lights and unbound the curtains, so just a sliver of moonlight shone through.

“I don’t really feel up to that.” I sighed.

Sweetie hummed for a moment. “Truth or dare?”

I chewed on my lip. “We’re stuck in one room and I can’t even move. I’m sorry girls, I don’t mean to drag y’all’s nights down.”

“Screw it.” Scootaloo poked at the bedsheet, noticing me trying, and failing to suppress a yawn. “What else can we do?”

“Well…” Sweetie Belle hesitated, laying on my other side. “Why don’t we just go to sleep? I mean, we can probably do some stuff tomorrow if you aren’t too busy, Applebloom.”

Scootaloo shrugged, sliding under the covers to my right. “And if they don’t let us see you, we’ll just have to cause another distraction and break you out. Now scooch over.”

"I ah… can't." I frowned.

"Aw, c'mon." Scootaloo chuckled. "Sweetie Belle ain't that big yet."

"Hey!" Sweetie Belle squeaked indignantly.

I covered my mouth with a hoof to prevent a laugh. "No, I mean I physically can't."

"Oh." The smirk faded from Scootaloo's face. "Sorry."

Sweetie Belle dived under the covers, and I felt a part of my back get moved toward her. She popped back out with a smile. "You should have some room now!"

"Thanks, Sweetie!" Scootaloo chirped, throwing the blanket up so it fell over all three of us.

For a few minutes, we laid there in silence. I heard the gentle snoring of Sweetie Belle on my left, and Scootaloo tossing and turning every so often on my right.

I found myself smiling as I considered how much trouble my friends were risking to bring me comfort.

Even with all the stress recently, I felt like, with my friends beside me, it was gonna be a great night. And maybe I could even… well, maybe I should try to avoid thinking about the future for now.

Still, at least I had two friends right now I’d trust with anything. Two I can count on to do their best to make sure I got through everything life threw at me. Two that would break into a hospital to see me happy.

Scootaloo turned again next to me and gave off a small gasp. I saw her bite her lower lip and she lifted the blankets and looked underneath.

She dropped the blankets and turned to me, giggling into her hoof.

"Oh my gosh Applebloom, they have you in a diaper?"

I felt the blood rush to my cheeks.

Well, it was gonna be a decent night at least.