• Published 29th Aug 2012
  • 23,130 Views, 2,455 Comments

Bros in Equestria - Mandroid

  • ...
112
 2,455
 23,130

PreviousChapters Next
Bonus Chapter: A Day at the Races.

Year 6 in Equestria.

You hopped off the train and breathed in the city air "Welcome back to Canterlot, Thunder."

Thunderstrike walked off the train and looked around the city. "Are you sure this is a good idea, Dad?"

"Of course it is!" came another voice from above.

Rainbow Dash flutters down to the ground and hoofs you in the shoulder. "Heh. Told you I could beat the train here."

"Yeah yeah, you're fast. Wanna get moving?" you say.

Dash chuckles as the three of you start moving. "Late to the Wonderbolts Derby? You couldn't pay me."

Thunder remains land bound as you walk along. "I haven't been here in forever..." he says.

Shit.

"Hey, you okay? I know this place has some bad memories..."

Thunder shakes his head. "It's fine, dad. Why are we headed this way, anyway? I thought the Derby was at the stadium."

"We have to pick up your uncle first."

As the three of you reach the correct house, you knock on the door. Four times.

You could hear him from the other side. "-swear to god, if I die when I open this door!"

He swings open the door and shifts his eyes between the three of you. "Oh. It's you, hey."

Mous turns back into the house. "Babe! They're here!"

He loops a bag around his shoulder as Lotus comes trotting out of the house. "A pleasure to see you again, Anon."

"Hey Lotus."

"Alright, I'm all set." Mous says.

Good.

"Let's hit it."

You were in the locker room with the other racers. Before every Wonderbolts Derby, they had a race for kids. Once around the track and the winner would get a picture with The Wonderbolts.

Thunder looks scared as he watched the older kids mill about with their parents.

"You okay, buddy?"

Thunder looks at you with pleading eyes. "Dad, I don't think I can do this."

You kneel down to his level. "Why's that Thunder?"

Thunder looks around the room again. "Because all of these kids are way bigger than me! They have tons more wing power and they'll go super fast!"

Stage fright, you knew it well.

Thunder's head falls. "And I know mom is in the running for becoming a Wonderbolt soon...If I lose, it might mess that up for her..."

Whoa now.

You place a hand on Thunders head. "Hey, none of that. It's our job to worry about you, not the other way around." You tilt his chin up. "Besides, you can't be scared Thunder."

He looks you straight in the eye. "But I am dad! I'm scared that I'll screw up!"

You rest both hands on your son's shoulders. "You can't let that stop you, Thunder. You gotta keep trying, even when you're scared."

Thunder shuffles his hooves. "Is that what you do?"

You give him a thumbs up. "All the time kiddo, now go knock em dead."

The four of you sat on the bleachers as you watched the foals on the field.

Thunder was stretching out by himself away from the general pack.

"That kid reminds me of fucking Roid." Mous says as he points to a particularly large colt.

"You think every big kid looks like Roid."

"He's burned an image into my mind. All those massages he asked for..." Mous shudders.

You let Mous have his little episode as you turn to Rainbow.

"How do you think he'll do?" you ask.

Rainbow brings a hoof to her concerned face. "Thunder has the skill and the speed...But..."

"His heart isn't in it..."

Rainbow shakes her head. "He's just too nervous! He reminds me of Fluttershy sometimes."

"Mom of the year, Everypony."

Rainbow tilts her head to you. "Hey, you ask a pro flier for her opinion, you can't be mad when you get it."

"Besides, I can fix that." Mous says.

"Don't take all the credit! I picked the song!"

"It's was my idea, though! And I have the better shouting voice!"

Lotus and Rainbow share a concerned look.

"What do you two have planned?" Lotus asks.

"A surprise" The two of you say in unison.

A voice comes over the loudspeaker. "Junior racers! Take your positions!"

Mous pats you on the shoulder "Time to move."

"Where are you going!?" Rainbow shouts back to you as you walk up the stand stairs.

"We're gonna go help Thunder!"

You were Thunderstrike. Your dad has taken you to Canterlot to see the Wonderbolts Derby and race in the Junior Derby.

That has you terrified.

These other kids were mountains compared to you! Their wings must stretch from here to Fillydelphia!

You can't do this. You shouldn't have done this! Why did you agree to this?! You should have stayed home!

You were scared, more scared then you had been in your entire life. Screwing this up would screw everything up for mom! She'd be laughed out of the Wonderbolts for having such a slow son! She might regret picking you...The other kids at the orphanage were probably way faster than you...

You could never measure up to mom...She was the fasted in Equestria!

Even if you won this, you'd just be her "slow son".

She could go of to be the best Wonderbolt ever if you weren't holding her back!

You look out over the stands.

The other kids families were cheering them on, filling the stadium with a cacophony of names. You couldn't make any out, but you saw your family.

Or well...half of your family...mom and aunt Lotus...

Looks like dad and uncle Mous didn't want to watch you embarrass yourself. You couldn't blame them...

The call comes out to assume your places for the start of the race, you don't do it with any enthusiasm though.

Your head dropped as low as your heart did.

And then the music started.

Everypony turns to see the source of the music blaring over the loudspeakers. Standing on top of the announcers box stood two figures. Two bipedal figures.

Dad? Uncle?

They were bobbing in time to the music, joining their voices in the choir coming from a small white box by their feet.

The plucks of the instruments echoed all over Canterlot.

They violently bang their heads as the song says a word.

"THUN-DER!"

They continued to bang their heads to the music's drum, pumping their fists at each THUNDER.

To your open mouthed shock, the rest of the stadium begins to join them.

"THUN-DER!"

The entire stadium was chanting your name. Were they doing this for you?

"THUN-DER!" they shout.

You hear another sound rising over the music. The sound of your heart beating in your ears.

Their shouting was really getting the stadium going. Dad handed Uncle a small microphone.

"I WAS CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A RAILROAD TRACK!" he shouts.

"THUN-DER!"

They did all this for you.

All to make you feel better.

"I LOOKED 'ROUND, AND I KNEW THERE WAS NO TURNING BACK!"

"THUN-DER!"

"MY MIND RACED, AND I THOUGHT "WHAT COULD I DO?"

Dad said you had to keep trying.

"AND I KNEW THERE WAS NO HELP, NO HELP FROM YOU!"

Dad and Uncle did all this for you. To make you move forward, even if you were scared.

You can't let them down.

"SOUND OF THE DRUMS! BEATIN' IN MY HEART!"

The ref raised his flag as you lowered yourself and flared your wings. No fear. No doubts. You were gonna win this race.

"THE THUNDER OF GUNS! TORE ME APART!"

All was still in the stadium for a moment.

"YOU'VE BEEN-"

The ref waves his flag.

You shot off the start line.

"THUNDERSTRUCK!"

PreviousChapters Next