• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 11,748 Views, 3,834 Comments

Repercussions - Hiver



Some choices you make are simple to figure out where they lead. Some... not so much.

  • ...
30
 3,834
 11,748

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 29

I arrived in Canterlot.

Or what had once been Canterlot. The place was in ruins, the sun and moon were both in the sky, splitting it in half.

In the distance, the castle was burning.

“Where were you!?”

I turned quickly towards the voice. Midnight was in a circle of her friends. No… not only her friends. Hundreds of ponies, most I didn’t recognize.

It was Rarity that had spoken.

Midnight looked around, “I-I…”

“The princesses are dead and where were you!? Why didn’t you stop them!? We needed you!”

I couldn’t tell who said that, it was a pony to the back.

“I-I was-”

“Why did you abandon us?” Fluttershy asked her, “We needed you. When the Storm King came, we… we needed you. When the-”

They all started to yell, to demand and Midnight disappeared out of view as they pressed in on her from all directions.

Enough of this!

I stomped my hoof. A wall of light radiated away from the impact and where it passed, buildings returned to their whole state, the sky turning a clear blue and birds started to sing.

The angry ponies disappeared, leaving empty streets.

Midnight were laying on the cobblestone street, curled up and sobbing. I made my way over towards her.

She twitched at the sound of my hoofsteps against the stone and she looked up towards me, blinking in surprise, “...Page…” she said in surprise.

She looked… horrible. Her eyes red and tears stained down her cheeks.

“It’s not real,” I told her as I folded my wings, sitting down next to her.

She sniffled and shook her head, “But…”

“None of that,” I said, “It’s not real. Just your planet sized brain gathering what you know and turning it into a ‘what if’ with a good amount of self doubt and self blame. It is not what happened and it’s not what’s going to happen. And it’s not your fault, no matter what.”

Midnight slowly shook her head, slowly struggling up to sit before rubbing her eyes with her hoof, shaking her head, “...But it is my fault. If I had stopped her the first time, if we had caught Starlight back in her village, if I-”

I shook my head, “Stop that. Nopony is perfect, nopony can do everything. And nopony can see the future… I think.”

That earned me a look from her, “...You think?”

I nodded, “Yeah… never seen any evidence that it wasn’t possible, or then again, I haven’t seen proof that it wasn’t either. At least not definite. Then again, time travel clearly is, so… who knows?”

Midnight slowly nodded, looking thoughtful for a second before she looked to the side and it felt like the dream wanted to shift and I let it.

The elements appeared standing to the side. Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie Pie. Other ponies. A pair I recognized as Twilight's parents. Cadance was there. Shining Armor. Luna and Celestia. A dozen ponies I didn’t recognize.

Midnight looked to them for a long moment, her ears and wings drooping, “...I’m never going to see them again,” she said and shook her head, “...The ones from my world, I mean.”

“I don’t buy that,” I told her firmly, “You and Twilight are the smartest ponies I ever met. Followed by possibly Chrysalis or Celestia.”

Midnight looked to me in surprise, “Chrysalis?”

“Bug is crazy bright,” I said seriously, “She just doesn't think like a pony. But I don’t buy it that you’re stuck here permanently, I just don’t. If necessary, you’re capable of making a brand new spell to send you back.”

Midnight looked at me sadly for a long moment before she slowly shook her head, “...Page, it’s not that…” she said before she scraped her hoof against the stone of the street, “It’s not sending me somewhere that’s the problem. We can… it’s actually not that difficult. It’s what the portal we… it’s what the portal we made should have done. The difficult thing is to find the right timeline. Without some way to point out where I’m from, there are literally infinite possibilities.”

“Oh.”

Midnight nodded and glanced towards the group of ponies again, “The table was the only part that still remained, the only part that could be used to locate where I was from.”

“You and Spike remain, can’t you aim by… I don’t know, reading the quantum reality you’re from?”

I mean, it worked in Star Trek.

Midnight blinked at me and thought for a second, I could almost see the calculations going on behind her eyes before she finally shook her head, “...No, not sure what you mean by quantum reality, but no.” she said, “If we did it just after we arrived, maybe we could have used one of us to read what timeline we were from. But we've been here for well over a year now, too much of this timeline is in us now.”

“...Food, air and water!”

Midnight nodded sadly with a small sigh, “Exactly. By the start we didn’t have the spell and by the time we did, it was too late for that option. All we had was the table and now we don’t have that… and we don’t know what went wrong with the spell either,” and then she glanced at the dream images of her friends, “So no, Page. W-we’re never going home again,” she said, her voice starting to shake.

I moved up and pulled her into a hug, holding her close and she started to sob against my neck. I stroked her mane while I wished I could fix reality as easily as I could fix dreams.

Discord, you have so much to answer for.

PreviousChapters Next