• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 11,730 Views, 3,834 Comments

Repercussions - Hiver



Some choices you make are simple to figure out where they lead. Some... not so much.

  • ...
30
 3,834
 11,730

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30

I found Celestia at the top of one of the towers just before Sunset. Pushing the door open, I trotted up the last of the ice and snow covered steps onto the top of the tower.

I paused at the top and Celestia glanced back at me as I shaded my eyes against the bright sunshine., moving around into her shadow.

“One moment, Page,” she said and turned back towards the sun, looking at it without flinching.

I, on the other hoof, kept my eyes well away from her little ball of fun. It was bright enough just being out during the day, looking straight at it… no thank you.

Celestia's horn lit up with her golden sunlight and she raised her head high before starting to slowly, slowly lower her head and horn and the Sun started to set, moving with her horn.

This was something I had only seen a couple of times. Seeing Luna raise the moon wasn’t exactly uncommon, I watched that almost every evening.

But seeing Celestia do it was rare.

The sun started to dip beneath the horizon and it got darker, the stars starting to show above as she lowered it lower and lower.

The last red light slowly started to die down from beyond the horizon and Celestia sighed, the light started to flicker out from around her horn and she raised her head, stretching her wings again before she turned her head to look at me, “Page.”

“Sunshine,” I said, “Done lowering your big ball of fire?”

Celestia nodded, “Done checking out my rear?”

“You,” I said and moved up next to her as I tried not to blush, “are feeling better.”

“Not hearing denials,” Celestia teased before she nodded with a small sigh, “...You’re right. I was blaming myself for what happened.”

“‘Was’?” I asked, looking up to her.

Celestia shifted her wings a bit uncomfortably, “...Still am,” she admitted with a small smile, “At least a little. But I think that’s not what you came to find me about.”

I shook my head, “...No, it wasn’t,” I admitted and pulled my cloak a bit tighter around myself with my magic, it’s warming spell struggling against the biting cold wind. Celestia didn’t look bothered at all, she wasn’ even wearing anything but her regalia. Which was so unfair because I was pretty sure that even before the entire bat thing I would have found it cold right now.

Seriously, by far the coldest winter since I ended up in Equestria.

Celestia frowned, “Cold?”

I nodded, “It’s freezing. I’m not as resistant as most alicorns and even before this entire thing I would have found it on the chilly side today.”

Celestia moved a bit closer, putting her wing across me, “How’s that?”

A warmth radiated from her and her wing, it was like laying next to a fireplace! I blinked at her, “...Seriously, what’s your metabolism like?” I asked as I shifted closer to her side, resting my head against her warm shoulder.

She grinned and shook her head, “What did you want to talk to me about, Page?”

I shrugged my wings a bit and sighed, “...Thestrals. Do you know how many letters I have gotten so far?”

Celestia shook her head.

“One hundred and fifty three as of today,” I told her seriously, “One hundred and fifty three thestrals that had the time, inclination and opportunity to write to me. Some even sent me who they were.”

Celestia looked thoughtful, “...I had no idea there were so many left.”

I shook my head, “Sunshine, that’s only the ones that could, wanted to and dared to send me a letter so far and have gotten them here through the postal service so far. I don’t know exactly how it’s with ponies, but I know how few that would do that if it was humans. Sparks could likely give a better estimation, but my guess is somewhere between ten and twenty percent at most have answered. At absolute most. I actually think the number is way lower than that considering how shy about revealing themselves they are.”

She shifted next to me, “Over a thousand thestrals…”

“Yeah,” I agreed, “And I don’t know what to do to help them. I have some ideas… the idea of just telling them to unmask to let ponies get used to them won’t work with just a thousand thestrals.”

She slowly nodded, “What can I do to help?”

“That depends on everything else,” I said and smiled at her, “First, I need information. To be able to help, I first need to know how. I need everything you have and know about thestrals and the older the better. Do we have a copy of the original curse? The modification? Who made either?”

Celestia smiled, “My sister and I are old, but not that old. Thestrals existed when we were young.”

“I know the story, Luna told it to me a good while ago, before the wing thing even,” I said, “But I need as much as you have.”

“Well,” she said and flicked one ear, “We don’t have either curse or who cast either of them, that’s lost to history as far as I know. I don’t actually know how much we have on this at all,” she admitted with a small thoughtful frown and then looked to me again, “If we’re lucky, there might be some of what you are looking for in the oldest archives or at least something to point you in the right directions. They are usually locked down and only specific ponies are allowed in because everything there is so old and fragile. I’ll give you access.”

“Thanks Sunshine.”

PreviousChapters Next