• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 11,735 Views, 3,834 Comments

Repercussions - Hiver



Some choices you make are simple to figure out where they lead. Some... not so much.

  • ...
30
 3,834
 11,735

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 109

I looked at the ponies gathered in the room. All five now pure thestrals, no curses, no blood magic.

They were all looking at me in turn.

“So, that’s the current plan. Any thoughts or questions?”

Mood Beam raised her hoof, “Moving to the jungle?”

“Actually, moving to the jungle and building a new village there,” I clarified, “But we would need to build it ourselves. Which does mean staying in tents for the first while… and I don’t expect everypony to go at once, there are over two thousand thestrals in Equestria, we can’t have a camp that big. I expect the first expedition to be around five hundred ponies to start construction of buildings and defenses.”

“Defenses?” Cloud Flash as he moved to sit up on the couch.

I nodded, “Yeah. There are predators in the jungle. Most are easily handled by ponies with guard training. Besides, we’re just going to build at the edge of the jungle, not deep in where the larger ones are.”

Moon Beam looked thoughtful, “Do you really think this could work, Prince Page?”

I shifted my wings before I nodded, “I do. It… it won’t be easy, I know that much. But I think it’s what we need to do. As it is, in five hundred years…” I said before I looked between them, “There won’t be any thestrals anymore. The longer we wait, the harder it will be to stop and reverse.”

Moon Beam hesitated, “Maybe…” she said before she glanced down, “Maybe that wouldn’t be so bad. Then nopony would have to…”

“Moon Beam!” an older thestral said, her father, as he moved up to her, “I know things have been difficult,” Dark Flood said, “But that’s not the right thing to do. We have history now. A history we never knew of before!”

I nodded, “Thestrals aren’t cursed pegasi,” I said seriously, “Thestrals are the fourth pony tribe and I’m not going to allow us to go extinct if there is absolutely anything I can do about it. Thestrals going extinct would be like there being no more pegasi or no more unicorns or earth ponies. What would a world without pegasi be like?”

Moon Beam glanced down on her hooves, “I...I just don’t want anypony to grow up like we did.”

“Which is the entire goal of this,” I said and looked between all of them, meeting all of their eyes as I raised my wings and stood up, “To give us a real identity. A real community! Not just spread in small families across Equestria if at that! How many of you knew another thestral outside your families before this?”

No answer.

“Yeah,” I said and nodded seriously, “Divided. Drifting. Fading away. Afraid of being discovered, afraid of being driven away, afraid of losing friends and family. No more. That’s what I want to do, to build somewhere we can live in peace. A place to raise families and find friends without fear. A place where little colts and fillies can grow up without being afraid, being ashamed of who and what they are!”

I took half a step forward, spreading my wings slightly, “It’s going to be dangerous. It’s going to be risky. It’s going to be hard and exhausting and I guarantee each of you are going to go to bed and cry yourselves to sleep because you’re too exhausted to do anything else. You’re going to want to quit, you’re going to want to give up.”

I met Dark Flood’s eyes and then looked at his daughter before turning to each of them again, “But you’re not going to, are you? Because you know what we’re working for. We’re working for your foals, the ones that come after us. We’re working so nopony else has to grow up like you did.”

“Or…” I continued and sat back down, “Or we could do nothing,” I continued quieter, “We could just wait and let it continue. Let little colts and fillies grow up in fear. Afraid to be rejected. Wait for the only ones to remember thestrals to be the alicorns.”

“I know what I would choose,” I continued gently and sighed softly, “that’s why I’m doing this. Because I realized what is happening and because I could not stand by and watch it happen. But it’s up to each of you what you want to do. If you want to come help in the first group, that would be awesome. If you want to wait until we’re established, that’s fine too. If you want to stay here, that’s all up to you. But I know what I have to do… and if I have to head down there myself and start it on my own, then that is what I have to do.”

I shook my head and stood back up, giving them a small smile, “You don’t need to decide now. We’re not leaving tomorrow and I have to contact a lot of other ponies as well. Just let me know what you each decide,” I said and nodded to them before I headed out the door, the wooden surface closing behind me before I blinked at Sunset, “...been there long.”

“A while,” Sunset admitted softly and moved up to touch her horn to mine, “Long enough to hear your speech.”

I cringed slightly, “Too much?” I asked with a small frown, “I didn’t mean to Picard at them.”

Sunset shook her head, “Page, you have no idea how you sound when you get like that. I guarantee that every single pony in there is going with you.”

“I’m not as certain about that,” I said and gave her a small kiss, “I know it’s a big ask for anypony to drop everything and head down to build a village from nothing. I think we’re going to be struggling getting the five hundred needed even if we include hiring workers to assist.”

Sunset rolled her eyes, “Come on, Twi want to talk to you about the logistics of this entire thing. She, Midnight and Moondancer have been doing math and lists all morning.”

I eyed her dubiously, “...I’m not going to have to do math, am I? Because I have to draw the line somewhere. That’s why I hire smart ponies.”

Sunset grinned, “Just come on, wingboy, I promise it won’t hurt too badly.”

PreviousChapters Next