• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 11,726 Views, 3,834 Comments

Repercussions - Hiver



Some choices you make are simple to figure out where they lead. Some... not so much.

  • ...
30
 3,834
 11,726

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 58

The small stream glittered in the sunlight filtering down from the leaves far above, splashing happily and clearly among the trees. I scanned the forest around us, my ears constantly turning as I listened for any sign of movement as I sniffed the air.

Dee slowly bent down to sniff at the stream before she nodded and stood up to glance back at me, “It smells clean and fresh,” she said, “Get something to drink and I’ll keep watch.”

“You drink, I’m already watching,” I said and scanned the forest, trying to look in all directions at once.

“I’m not drinking first when there is a thirsty stallion with me,” Dee said and stepped back from the water, “Drink.”

I shifted my wings and glanced at her, “That’s a bit old fashioned of you.”

“It’s how I was raised, so sue me,” Dee said, “Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of ‘those’ kinds of mares, but I do have some manners.”

Whatever, not like we actually had time to argue about it so I moved up and slowly leaned in to sniff at the water.

She was right, it did smell clean so I chanced a small mouthful. The taste of clean and cool water reminded me of exactly how thirsty I really was.

I quickly drank my fill before I shifted slightly to dip my horn into it for a moment. The cold felt nice for about two seconds but then the burning pain returned and I pulled back. Not like I couldn’t risk more than a moment anyway so I quickly stepped back and looked around, “Your turn.”

Dee nodded and moved to lean in and drink as I stood guard.

She finally stood back up and stretched her wings for a moment as she lifted her head, “We should see if we can find something to eat,” she said and turned to me.

I nodded, “I saw some fruit back there, but they were up in a tree.”

Dee nodded and then unbuttoned her shirt, quickly wiggling out of it before she turned it around and with a pair of knots she turned it into a satchel and tossed it over her neck to carry before she smiled at me, “You throw them down, I gather them. Drop them off by the temple and then gather some dry firewood?”

“Sounds like a plan.”


XXXXXXXXX


I moved slowly towards the base of the temple, my wings around a bunch of fairly dry wood holding them on my body at each side. Dee was carrying the same and had also hung the ‘satchel’ around my neck and along my side when she loaded both of us.

Why waste half a trip after all.

I paused at the bottom of the stairs, looking up towards the temple, frowning slightly up at the structure.

“What’s wrong?” Dee asked as she moved up next to me.

“I’m not sure,” I admitted, “It’s… I don’t know. This place is so ancient. Do we have the right to climb it like this? What if we damage it?”

“It’s been here for longer than Princess Celestia, I think it’ll survive us too,” Dee said and then frowned in thought, “...Well, me at least. You’re an alicorn after all.”

I sniffed the air and flicked my ears, “...It still feels strange.”

“Strange as in dangerous?” she asked, “Do you feel something? Because the alternative is risking setting up camp in the open and I really don’t want to without a reason.”

She had a good point there.

“No,” I admitted, “Just a bit hesitant against possibly harming something this ancient I think.”

“Normally I would be right there with you,” Dee admitted and flicked her ears, “But this is a kind of special situation.”

I nodded and put my hoof on the first step of the temple and started up them, careful to test each step to make sure it was solid, I didn’t want to trip while carrying all of this stuff.

Dee followed me up the stairs. When we finally reached the top and the dark doorway into what seemed to be a monolithically constructed building taking up most of the top of the temple.

I paused and peered into the darkness, Wishing that I could risk lighting my horn.

Dee moved up next to me and then moved to drop her collected wood to the side, “I’ll give it a look.”

“I’m the one with good night vision,” I told her and dropped my wood as well, shrugging the ‘satchel’ off and put it down, “I’ll check it out.”

Dee shifted her wings before she sighed and nodded, “...Okay. But be careful, there might be traps.”

“You said there wouldn’t be.”

“I might be wrong! I’m not willing to risk losing a leg on a ‘I’m pretty sure’!”

...Good point there, I really rather be safe rather than sorry and get a spear thucked at me by some ancient mechanism.

I closed my eyes for a long moment, letting them adjust a bit to the darkness before I opened them and stepped in through the doorway, carefully listening and testing each step for moving stone pressure plates.

The inside of the structure wasn’t very big. Maybe four meters in each direction, the middle made up by a large stone table.

No, not a table, a stone altar. A stone altar with small channels cut into the surface. I followed them with my eyes and stepped to the side, the channels also being on the floor and heading towards the door.

So if you poured something on the table, it would drip into the channels and then run outside down the stairs.

I glanced at the altar again. That design was for one thing and one thing only.

Ponies had died here. Possibly a lot of ponies.

I took a slow breath and moved forward to look behind the altar. It was just empty, just more floor and wall.

“Looks clear, I think we’re good,” I said, glancing back towards Dee as I sat down and rubbed my head just next to my horn, “Do we have enough wood?”

She nodded, “We should, but we should gather some more just in case. We won’t need a big fire, just something outside the opening for some warmth and to keep the predators at bay.”

“Let’s err a bit on the side of caution there,” I agreed.

PreviousChapters Next