• Published 18th Jul 2020
  • 11,735 Views, 3,834 Comments

Repercussions - Hiver



Some choices you make are simple to figure out where they lead. Some... not so much.

  • ...
30
 3,834
 11,735

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 114

I looked at the massive pile of just... stuff as Sparks and Midnight worked their way across it with Moondancer getting their lists and double checking them against the main list.

I was just in awe at the massive amounts of things. Wooden box after wooden box with tents, pots, pans, cloth, nails, tools. Sack after sack of dry goods.

It was all being delivered to a warehouse close to the train station in Canterlot and I couldn't believe how much crap there was. I turned to look at Sunset, "Do we really need all this?"

She just shrugged a bit and headed over towards the small office at one side of the warehouse, "Don't ask me, but I can't believe it considering how much is needed just for the legion and their families to move."

I just shook my head and sat down, looking at the boxes of heavy tents. This is such a bad idea, the worst idea I ever had and that includes getting into a fistfight with a magic eating centaur. And two months? What at the buck had I been thinking with that time schedule, we should have spent years planning this!

Well, it was too late now. Word was already out to the thestrals we had invited. One week and the ones that wanted to go would be here and then we'll know how bad things went. With some luck, nopony will show and we can put the entire thing on the shelf until we have a better plan than 'toss five hundred ponies into the jungle'.

But even as I thought that, Moon Glow’s fear at being discovered came to my mind. Fluttershy's fear when I first revealed that I knew what she was. The... the way that thestral looked at me when she hoof delivered her letter to me. Like she trusted me, like she actually thought I could make a difference.

The way the volunteers went through the curse breaking, knowing that there might not be a way to also break the blood magic.

They did it because I asked. Because they believed that I could do it.

No. No, we're doing this even if I have to go down there myself with a knife, a hammer and a saw and get building it on my own!

Shaking my head, I stood up and looked over to Skitter, "So... what do you think?"

"I think I should send a few more changelings along for security," the changeling Princess said as she walked up next to me, her wings buzzing slightly as Amber jumped down from the ceiling to land next to her. Skitter smiled at her and gave her a nod before turning back to me again, "Especially after last time and from what the new members of the hive said about the last home."

"Wrong jungle."

"Still a jungle," Skitter said seriously, "filled with things that like to eat things the size of a pony or changeling."

I nodded, "No more than fifty," I finally agreed, "There needs to be enough for them to eat. Will they be okay with being away from the hive that long?" I then asked.

Skitter smiled, "Infiltrators are used to it. Used to be anyway," she said with a nod and then looked at Mount Tent, "Are all of this really necessary?"

"That's what I asked," I said and scraped a hoof against the floor, "Midnight said yes and Sparks booped me on the head with a rolled up paper."

"As you deserve," Sunset said with a grin as she returned with a stack of papers in her magic, flipping through them, "Need some signatures on these from the companies delivering the supplies as soon as Twi and the girls confirm delivery of everything."

"Thanks, put them with the rest," I said and stretched my wings, "You mentioned the legion? How are they doing, I haven't heard any complaints about moving from Centerlot, at least temporarily. How do they feel about it?"

Sunset put the stack down on a nearby crate before she looked to me, "Honestly? They are excited to get to do something that doesn't involve a sudden invasion. Other than the few that draw guard duty, all they do is train, drill or do small patrols around town. They're jumping at the chance to get to do something real."

"Huh," I said and then smiled, "Well, at least somepony is excited for it," I said and then looked over at my guard for the day, "What about you, Swift?"

"Me?" He asked and shrugged, "I'm fine with it, sir," he said, "I'm scheduled to rotate back to the Nightguard in another eight months anyway. Minuette... not so happy."

He was back on duty again, his legs having healed nicely and a bit quicker than the doctors had predicted. He still moved a bit stiff at times, but he seemed to be doing okay.

I cringed slightly, "Sorry about that, man."

Swift smiled and shook his head, "All part of the job. And Minuette is going to stay in Canterlot and she'll cool down in a couple of weeks."

"You know," I said with a small frown, "We could give you back to the Nightguard early. I don't want to mess things up between you and your marefriend."

Swift shook his head again, "I knew what I signed up for. I might not have expected this exactly, but I might have just as easily ended up posted in... Stalliongrad or at the border to the Crystal Empire. Otr even at an Embassy across the sea or something. Compared to those, I'll take a jungle anytime. Besides, as I said, it's temporary."

"And when we're set up, nothing says she can't come to visit or you can't head up to visit her," I said, "If nothing else, I'm likely going to head up to Canterlot often enough."

Even if things were set up nicely and if we always had the dream realm, there was no way I wouldn't visit My Sky anytime I could get away with it.

I looked at the massive pile of stuff, "Okay, we should likely go help them count eve-"

"You stay out of it!" drifted out from behind a stack of crates. Not sure if it was Sparks or Midnight, but it didn't sound like Moon Dancer.

"Or... we'll leave them to it," I continued instead, taking half a step back. An organizing Sparkle was a happy Sparkle. Instead I looked to Sunset, "Anything we can do?"

"Actually, sir," Amber piped up from next to Skitter, "Your publisher requested a meeting about the first printing of your latest book? Apparently there's something about the cover."

"Ah. Well, we can likely do that sometime before we leave," I said and looked to Sunset.

She shook her head, "Go, It's not like things are going to get any less busy. Besides, we got this," she said with a smile and looked up from her notebook, "Meet you at the castle tonight?"

"Sounds like a plan."

PreviousChapters Next