• Published 2nd Aug 2020
  • 9,443 Views, 857 Comments

Blueblooded Bluebell - David Silver



That Prince Blueblood treats mares terribly. Luna takes matters into her own hoof to teach him a lesson, but it is she that learns something instead.

  • ...
62
 857
 9,443

14 - Happy Hearthswarming

"Oh my." Fancy's monocle slipped free of his stunned face as he gaped a moment before gathering himself. "Blue Belle... baroness? Is that truly you?"

"Behold." Blue stepped closer to her friend with a warm smile. "The outside matches now." She turned a little to the left and right to show herself off. "But now I'm realizing I'm terrible deficient in something."

Fancy struggled to imagine what the mare before him could be missing. Everything appeared to be in place. "Whatever would that be?"

"A wardrobe, of course." She nodded firmly. "My existing set no longer fits, and is the wrong style for the new me besides that." She flashed a bright smile up at him. "Care to go shopping?"

Fancy inclined his head faintly. "Blue, you are... new... to the role, but a mare only rarely invites a stallion to go clothing shopping." Blue began to blush, realizing this was true. "Unless they are already intimate, be that romantic or long term platonics."

"Well, there you go," she called out as if spotting a loophole. "We are quite the long time friends, are we not? So it is hardly improper for the question to come up." She trotted past Fancy towards the door of the castle, ready to emerge into daylight. "Let's be off. I've gained a liking for that Sassy mare, let's see what she has for me."

Fancy did follow her, hastening to be at her side. "This isn't one of your magics, is it?"

"Well, of course it is," agreed the mare with a quizzical hint. "Why?"

"No no, I meant... is it an illusion?" He hiked a brow, his glowing horn setting his monocle back in place.

"What you see is what I am, through and through," assured Blue, leaning in a little. "A little tip, friend to friend." When Fancy leaned in to hear, Blue grinned. "If the horn's glowing, I'm holding a magic in place. All the illusions need that. The transfigurations do not."

Fancy's eyes rose to her horn. Nope, no glow there... "I see... Did it hurt?"

"Everypony asks that." She snorted with a little smile on her face. "Not terribly, in the end. Well worth the trip!" She bounced forward. "I feel... light? I suppose that stands to reason. Look at me." She waved a hoof at herself as she ambled down the street. "I'm smaller."

"You are that." He cleared his throat softly. "Things worked as well as they could... You are every bit as pretty as you were handsome."

Other ponies had brought it up, but hearing it from Fancy was somehow different. "O-oh!" Her cheeks darkened and she became quiet, walking alongside him. "Have you seen their latest trends?"

"Rarity rarely misses the chance to get my opinion." A little smile on his face. "A charming lady, but she has her obsessions, and few ponies can escape them."

"I can easily imagine..." She glanced away, watching other ponies walking along. Some were alone, others in pairs, others in small family clusters. She looked back at Fancy, clearing her throat. "You know, Hearth's Warming is coming up."

"Indeed it is," he agreed easily. "What event has your aunt signed you up for?"

"None, actually." That was a mild surprise, but only mild. "I was... wondering if you want to see... the play? You know, tradition."

"Tradition," he agreed with a nod. "It would be my pleasure, Baroness."

The store was before them, Blue leading the way with her newly gained spritely step and a swishing tail. "Here we are," she sang, trotting inside.

Sassy spotted them and moved to approach. "Welcome! Fancy and..." She leaned her left to the left sharply, peeking at Blue's back end, blinking only with growing confusion.

Blue rolled a hoof. "I did tell you I was a mare."

"Put a pin in that," let out Sassy with her breath. "Please, forgive me. Would a congratulations be proper?"

"It would, but not what we came for." Blue gestured over herself. "I need an entire ensemble fit for a baroness. Are you ready for that?"

"Now that's something I can take a measure of." Sassy nodded gratefully, mind turned towards business matter. "You want seasonal choices? I have some lovely winter options." She began leading the way through the store, leading her two clients along. "Fancy, how's Fleur? Rare I see you two apart."

"She's visiting with a few friends." He inclined an ear at Blue. "Ah, yes, she wanted me to mention she would have invited you, but she felt she wanted a personal look at you before that. I... think she was correct to do so."

Blue's brows went up together. "I fear that can be taken different ways, old bean." She turned to face him fully. "Whatever do you mean?"

"Nothing untoward," he assured. "It is just that the sight of you through the mirror does not do you justice." He coughed softly into a hoof, adjusting his front while he was at it. "You have become quite the vision, and I am certain she will be delighted to have another mare of the sort to speak to."

"Sort?"

As they spoke in high-energy words, Sassy backed away gently to let her customers have their discussion. The clothes would surely still be there afterwards!

"Fleur is, to put it simply, quite pretty." He smiled just thinly. "It can be exasperating to her, the attention others place on her without her desire. With another comely mare, she will feel right at home."

Blue blinked softly, red starting at the tip of her snout and spreading backwards. "O-oh! You... You did mention that before, Fancy... I'm being entirely--"

"Speak not another word of it." His smile became more relaxed. "We were both being foals. We are the same ponies, grown or not. Let us not make things awkward for no reason."

"Well said," half-sang Blue Belle, looking happy for the answer arrived at. "Now, clothing. I will not be a noble mare without a few stunning pieces."

And so the afternoon was spent, with Fancy giving hooves up or down in response in addition to Blue's own opinion of the things she tried on. More important than that, perhaps, she slid into them properly, and they looked right on her. She was a high class lady and grinned at her reflection, fluttering her lashes. "Lovely."


"It's terrible." Fancy sank down onto a chair, facing Fleur. "I thought I was quite used to the presence of such mares."

"Qu’est-ce que c’est ?" Fleur looked back from her own mirror where she had been primping herself. "Mon frère, whatever do you mean?" She adjusted her floofy hat with a glowing horn. "What sort of mare?"

"The kind that are prettier than they realize." He rubbed a cheek softly. "They're worse than you."

"Worse than moi? Of this I doubt." Fleur gently bonked Fancy as she sat down. "Tell me of this mystery jument."

"Your 'little sister', little sister." He put a hoof on her chest, pushing her back a little. "Her spell was a complete success."

"Très magnifique!" Fleur clopped her hooves together. "I saw it through the mirror, but my eyes, they can lie, yes? Besides, she can fool them. It was true?"

"As true as the sun in the sky," sighed out Fancy. "Blue Belle has arrived, and she now has a wardrobe befitting her new appearance."

"Lovely!" Fleur inclined her head. "We must meet, in person. I would greet ma petite soeur properly. You look troubled." She inclined her head at her usually composed brother, considering things before it clicked. "Ah ha! A pretty jument you do not have the shield of blood from. Are you seeing her for the mare she is?"

It was his turn to start darkening as he looked away. "That would be quite improper!"

"And yet, here we are." Fleur trotted right up to him, flopping across his back without delay. "Mon frère, you are a stallion. She is a mare. We, we are siblings, are we not? So you do not think that way with me, this is normal. If you feel for her, and you know her up here." Fleur tapped her head. "Why do you not simply speak?"

"One does not 'simply speak' of such things," he huffed out, though he hadn't thrown her clear. "She is of a superior station. To impose on her with such trifling--"

Fleur slid around, popping a hoof flat against his lips. "You quiet yourself. This is not a trifling matter."

"It is improper," he insisted, sliding back away from the hoof. "We have a relationship, and one she holds quite dear. I will not be the one that shatters it."

"Were you thinking of abandoning her?" Fleur played with his cheeks, unafraid of his stormy appearance. "I would not allow it."

"It's not a matter of that." Fancy's horn glowed, grabbing Fleur's hooves and forcing them still before he let go. She backed up and he nodded. "It taints the whole thing. Were I to profess any amount of attraction, she will wonder if I encouraged them towards this state for selfish ends."

Fleur blinked softly, lashes fluttering. "When you say it like that, it does have some sinister meaning, but I know you were not thinking that. You are, as they say, too pure." She booped him on the nose and skipped away, giggling. "You would be better off being honest."

"Sister mine..." He let out a slow breath. "At the least, let her get used to living in her new form before thrusting my feelings in her lap to confuse what is, without doubt, a confusing time. We owe her that much."

"In this, we find agreement." She looked over her shoulder at Fancy. "This is something we can do, out of love. But your feelings, do not throw them out. We can wait, a little, for her. We do not want to hurt her, do we?"

"Perish the thought," he agreed, his smile returning. It was always nicer when he and Fleur saw eye to eye. "Ah, relatedly, she invited me to go see the Hearthwarming Pageant, I agreed."

Fleur brought her fore hooves together with a loud clop. "Perfect! Go, be a gentlecolt, it comes naturally to you, hmm? And see how you feel. Maybe see how she feels. My hopes go with you, brother." She danced closer, smooching his cheek. "Be true to yourself. This is what drove her to become a mare, n'est-ce pas?"


"Your friend." Cadance was smiling through the mirror. "He is very bashful."

"He seemed quite at wits end speaking to me." Blue raised a hoof to her chin. "Though I should imagine he would find the new me even more disconcerting."

"Don't say that." Cadance waved it off. "He's shy around mares though. I got through though, as promised, and arranged a little hook up." She leaned closer, her hooves close together. "He'll be coming by the Crystal Empire for a little love locket fun! I know a few other stallions that lean that way, hopefully one of them will hit it off just fine..."

Blue could not comprehend how two stallions... did that... But she was in a glass house, and she decided against hurling a rock. "I do hope for the best then. How is it?" She began to show off her clothes, gesturing over them. "Just got it today." She smirked triumphantly. "I adjusted them myself."

Cadance's ears pricked up. "You can sew?! When did you pick up that talent?"

Blue laughed at the very idea, coming out in a half giggle. "No no... Magic, cousin. I used a spell I had learned, to adjust clothing. Making something fit properly was actually much easier than changing a suit entirely." She plucked at the fabric softly with her magic. "Well, how is it?"

"It's fetching. Quite a lovely shade of blue, like ice." She inclined her head. "Was that the idea? A winter dress? Quite nice." Cadance nodded softly, not actually dressed up herself at all.

Which Blue noticed. "Why aren't you dressed for the season?" She recoiled a little. "Huh... I never much considered what a mare was wearing, aside from it matching the given event."

"You're a mare now, comes with the territory." Cadance stuck out her tongue at her cousin. "Now hush up. I wear what I want. It's good to be princess."

"Good indeed... Still, there is a propriety!" She stood up tall, willing to stand in defense of courtly process. "Even Celestia, who weighs higher than either of us, dresses the part."

"Because she wants to." Cadance waved it away. "Besides, I do dress up when the occasion calls for it. Do you have any idea how many hours it takes to get my mane just so to match Crystal Empire standards? It's no small task, let me assure." She smirked with victory. "I get to relax on the less officious days, so I will not be made to feel bad about it."

Blue was quiet a moment, considering another avenue of attack. "I see," is what came out. "Thank you, for assisting Long Shot. He isn't a friend, per se. I only met him the once, still, we must do what we can."

"That's a kind way of looking at it." Cadance nodded, looking pleased enough. "I'll treat him gently. If you need anything at all, for yourself, let me know. I still owe you a few favors, hm?"

She blinked away. Fire was still there, leering, though she had been unseen a moment before. "So, going to learn more?"

"I would like to." Blue turned to face her imp. "Perhaps another symbol?"

"We're more than halfway through the ones we could go over," she warned. "Soon you're be fully magically literate. Proud?"

"Quite!" She pranced in place with a smile. "Let us begin."

"Sit your pretty girl flank down." Fire pointed towards the bed she was already on. "And we can begin."


Many ponies bustled about, settling into seats, getting concessions, and speaking in low murmurs that sounded like a low roar with the entire crowd. Blue was dressed in what she hoped was her finest, frills everywhere, perhaps even much, but they felt nice, and she thought it made her even more mare... like? She was a mare, a baroness, and she was going to look it!

"Madame." And there was Fancy Pants, bowing to her. "Allow me to see you to your seat."

Blue tittered, but allowed herself to be led along. "You're looking dapper." In truth, Fancy looked much like he usually did, with only the faintest touch ups for the holidays, like a wreath on his vest. "You've seen this before, I imagine?"

"Quite a few times," he quickly agreed. "But even a show engraved in the mind can be enjoyable, especially with good company." They arrived at their seats, scootching past other well to-do ponies on the way. Their eyes were on Fancy, then who accompanied him, who was not Fleur, strangely enough.

At their seats, Fancy moved ahead and turned around, offering a hoof. Blue was confused at first, but it came to her. "Oh, thank you." She accepted the hoof and slid up into her seat with his unrequired, but kindly given, assistance. With all the frills in her dress, she wasn't entirely upset to have a helping hoof when it came to going up or down from things.

She moved to reclaim her hoof, but his magic was on it still, holding it gently. He leaned in and the world seemed to slow down around her. Was he about to? He was... Her breath caught, even his motions seeming to slow, her entire being focused on the moment. His lips touched the wall of her hoof, not the most sensitive part of her body, yet it felt like she had just been powerfully shocked in the hoof as he drew back, releasing her.

He slid up next to her with a soft chuckle. "Would you care for any concessions?"

Concessions!? After that? She sat still, her cheeks on fire under her makeup, unsure what to feel or do at that moment. Her friend had kissed her hoof! It was... ultimately, a perfectly polite thing for a stallion to do to a mare... She was a mare, he was a stallion. It was polite! Proper! Perfectly normal! She felt like she could pass out.

"You look parched," came his gentle voice. With his glowing horn, he grabbed a glass of water from basically across the room, bringing it speedily towards them to offer to Blue. "My Lady?"

"Oh, yes." She took the cup between her hooves, not thinking to use her own horn. "Thank you, just what I needed." She did feel quite warm, and the water was a welcome relief. "T-thank you..." She was next to a stallion. That was a date. There was little arguing it. She was a mare on a date with a very eligible bachelor. She had just meant to go out, with a friend! They had been friends for years on years! When had this become... something else? She took a greedy gulp of the water, trying to cool herself. They were friends. Friends! Friends did not date. Sure, he was a stallion, but he was a friend.

The ponies entered the stage, singing and dancing. The play was in progress. "Can you imagine," softly whispered Fancy. "One year, they had Princess Twilight and her friends make professional stand-ins? Hm, not the best performance by far, but spirited in its own way."

"I should imagine," tittered out Blue Belle. "I am sad I missed that. Do you think they have a recording of that? That may well be a crystal worth buying."

"Mayhaps." He watched the ponies singing their lines enthusiastically. "For now, let us enjoy what is before us, hm? They seem to be in good spirit today."

"They are." She relaxed a little. Watching a good play, that was simple and easy. She could do that. She did that with Fancy before. Nothing had changed. "Do you think we'll get a kooky or moronic Puddinghead?"

That was a bit of a wavering point in the play. Some years, Chancellor Puddinghead was quite bizarre, but other times, a complete buffoon, and it was hard to tell which was coming out until it happened.

"Something to look forward to," he chuckled in good spirits. "Ah, there we are." It wasn't Puddinghead, but another part experienced watchers kept their eyes on. They both guffawed in mutual delight. "Good show."

"Quite," agreed Blue, forgetting her troubles in favor of watching the show.

They later emerged, chuckling good naturedly between them. "Quite a show from Commander Hurricane." Blue nodded firmly. "Rare you see a pegasus with such a specific stage presence."

"Too right," easily agreed Fancy Pants, walking along with her. "Princess Platinum was also looking quite good. All in all, a quality performance all around."

"Quite so."

Things drew quiet as they mingled through the crowd, headed out of the theatre onto the street. "Fancy?"

"Hmm? Yes?" He turned to face her as soon as they weren't in the middle of traffic. "Did you enjoy yourself?"

"Oh, quite a bit so, yes." Blue rubbed her cheek softly. "You've been watching me."

Fancy colored faintly, but kept the reaction to a low roar. "I should hope I was watching the show."

"And you were... but not only that." Blue stepped from hoof to hoof gently. "Do I... disgust you?"

Fancy blinked rapidly, reaching up to keep his eyeware in place. "Whatever gave that impression?"

"I broke the rules..." She glanced away. "I... rather like the new self, but I still broke quite a few points of propriety doing it. You are a formal pony... I would understand. The very same reason you haven't... said anything. That would be impolite to."

She closed her eyes, trying to control her breath. "You are ever the--" She trailed off, feeling something press against her nose. His hoof? Her nostrils flared to get a whiff. That was not a hoof. She opened her eyes to find his nose pressed to hers, the two gazing at one another. "Fancy?"

"My Lady. Baroness... I have greatly enjoyed the evening." He gently bumped her, nose to nose, then backed away half a step. "It would be a privilege, and honor... if you would accompany me. I feel certain Fleur would be beside herself for a chance to spend Hearthswarming with her little sister."

"I... would be delighted." She started towards his abode, but her stance was stiff, her walk showing it. "But I know what I saw..."

"You saw a daft stallion," he assured, adjusting his front with a hoof. "Who didn't understand what he was looking at."

"Am I that strange?"

"Oh, quite so." He inclined his head faintly. "But that isn't a bad thing. I just... have so many questions, and it isn't polite to ask such questions of a guest."

"Then I give permission." She circled to his front. "As your friend, I would much rather hear your questions. All of them... ask."

"Are you... certain?" But Blue Belle nodded firmly, her face set. "Alright... Let us begin with... the basics. You are a mare now, this much is difficult to argue." He'd seen the proof. Smelled it, sat next to it, kissed the hoof of it. It was pretty clear. "But what made you think that was what you should be? I am not making little, I assure, but, as a stallion, I can't quite imagine not wanting to be exactly that." He pointed at himself. "I like being a stallion."

"I like you being a stallion." She began to blush, realizing how what she said could be taken. "It's hard to explain... But it was a suit I was born into, but it fit me awkwardly. For so many years, I wore it anyway, I had little choice, always pulling, tugging... Always not quite right, but you wore it, it's the only one you had... This is what I... That is how I felt. I didn't even know what I wanted, just that... something was wrong... Always pinching..."

"Sounds uncomfortable." His ears folded a moment before springing up. "And now?"

"And now..." She danced ahead, tail swaying with each step as she took a moment to feel her body in motion. "And now... I fit. I look in the mirror and the pony that smiles back seems... welcoming." She turned about to face Fancy. "This will sound stupid, but I... feel better... about me, and I feel better... about everypony else. I am... comfortable, and I want others to have the same smile I feel."

There were many fine characteristics Blueblood had, Fancy knew, but generosity and empathy? Far down that list. But Blue Belle was not Blueblood. "It sounds to me that you have changed."

Her ears sagged.

"Change is not always bad, my dear," assured Fancy, nudging against her, turning her back towards their destination as he led her along. "You've grown." A smile spread brilliant. "I'm pleased to report that I rather like the direction you've taken. If you wish to make other ponies smile, then you have my utmost support."

She hastened up to his side, her own expression lightened. "I am so relieved to hear that... Fancy, this will sound... odd... Off perhaps..." She rubbed at her neck as she trotted along with him. "For a moment, I thought you might have... fancied me." Fancy went stiff, but she kept on talking. "I don't think I'm ready for that." She glanced aside at him. "But I don't want to turn you away, dear friend. Will you give me a chance to figure out what I am before I invite another pony in to share this new space?"

Suddenly she laughed. "Or I'm reading the room completely wrong and I've just shoved my hoof so far in my mouth I'll need to be sped to a doctor.

Fancy set a hoof on her shoulder, the both of them slowing to a halt. "Baroness, let us enjoy this evening, as friends. I will be here, when you feel ready, and we can explore what comes next."

"You..."

He smooched her cheek. No words, and not a very long smooch. It was a perfectly chaste and proper cheek kiss any high-standing pony might deliver, and off he sped towards his home, where she had been invited.

They were still friends. Maybe more some day? Maybe not. Both roads were left open. Blue Belle jumped in the air, her hooves cycling before she hit the ground and pounced forward, moving to catch up. "Merry Hearthwarming," she sang as she went. It was a fine holiday.

Author's Note:

My loyal patron wanted a Christmas special, and here it is. I hope you all enjoy it and have a great day besides!

Posted early for patrons. Want to get updates early, and/or get your own story here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!