• Published 2nd Aug 2020
  • 9,443 Views, 857 Comments

Blueblooded Bluebell - David Silver



That Prince Blueblood treats mares terribly. Luna takes matters into her own hoof to teach him a lesson, but it is she that learns something instead.

  • ...
62
 857
 9,443

3 - A Friend In Need

"Chap!" Fancy Pants closed with a smile, a few other ponies drifting in his orbit. That upper class pony knew how to draw a crowd of hangers-on, other members of the elite class who hoped to gain his favor, or rub off some of his magnetic charm. "There you are."

Blueblood smiled, rising to proper stature. "Fancy, always a pleasure," he greeted. "Just when I feared there wouldn't be anypony worth seeing." The others laughed softly, even if his words were a mild slight against them.

"Come. There's no point attending these little bashes if one does so on their own." He tossed his head to the right. "Have you sampled the snacks from Saddle Arabia? They really outdid themselves."

Blueblood allowed himself to be guided along with a little twitch of his tail. "I confess I haven't just yet. Are they that good?"

"To die for," assured Fancy with happy energy. "You simply must try at least one, though I hazard you won't stop there." He nudged an elbow against Blueblood. "Princess Celestia knows how to pick a caterer."

Blueblood inclined his head. "I have a question, if you've a moment."

"For you? All the time." He waved and his crowd dissipated without a word with the signal given. "I didn't want to say anything, but you did look less exuberant then usual, no offense."

Blueblood's teeth set, his failure to hide his mental state laid bare. "You did have a habit of speaking plainly."

"Guilty as charged," admitted Fancy. "Now, let's get one of these in you and you can share a few words." His magic snatched one of the little flakey rolls and brought it over to Blueblood. "Say ah and prepare for a ride of delights!"

Blueblood felt his cheeks warm, but opened his mouth as commanded. Fancy was a good pony, and he felt he could drop his guard, a little. The food slid in and he began to chew. "Mmm, just as good as you reported." His words faded, concentrating a moment on not making a mess of himself. Disposed of, he nodded. "Now, this is a matter of propriety."

"Oh ho! One of the more complicated affairs. I understand your concern." Fancy nodded gravely. "I will do my utmost to assist. What's troubling you?"

"How do you manage it?" He inclined an ear at Fancy. "Never mind, that was improper. I have gained a new acquaintance. She's inoffensive..." He tapped at the ground softly as he struggled for the proper words. "But she's from a lower class. The first few times I could excuse for the nature of her introduction, but that line of reasoning has run its course."

"Do you fancy her, or fancy fancy her?" he asked, facing the food table, his voice even and calm as if not discussing anything important. "The advice I can give changes depending on the answer."

Blueblood's face darkened a moment before he fought down the reaction. "I was speaking true when I said she was an acquaintance. I have no particular desire to deepen that connection, but she is a pony I find spending time with to be... tolerable, and we have done so."

"Chap." He circled around in front of Blueblood. "You're not being honest. I can only help so far. It sounds, to me, like you've made a friend. There's hardly anything wrong with that."

"But she's a commoner," hissed Blueblood. "Barely of the merchant class. The impropriety of a royal... Don't you understand?"

"But she is a merchant then? A merchant can be quite proper." Fancy Pants nodded slowly. "I recall another merchant that did quite well for herself in my circles, though, do be mindful, she likely had other lower class friends. They can really make things interesting if they all end up involved." He mused back on when Rarity crossed paths with him and chuckled at the memory. "Not a thing to forget."

"I could already see the waitstaff watching and taking note." Blueblood thumped the ground once before his magic grabbed something that looked bright and sweet and begin nipping at it. "She dresses plainly with no ambition."

"The way I hear it, old bean, that is likely what you favor in her." He winked at Fancy even as Blueblood took half a step back in surprise. "Don't look at me like that, I'm here to help," he assured, hoof to his chest. "Now, the way I see it, you can still have her around, you just need to become her ambition."

"Become... her? You've lost me, Fancy Pants. That sounds most improper, at best."

"How is that?" he suddenly asked, looking to the sweet thing Blueblood was sampling. "I hadn't had the chance to try one yet."

"Sweet without being overwhelming. I approve." That is when he noticed Fancy Pants had his mouth open, expecting a return favor. Blueblood brought over the treat, turning it in the air so the bite would come from a part he hadn't worked at yet. He felt a bit dirty feeding a stallion, but it was Fancy Pants, a longtime friend. Surely that was alright?

"My word, your judgement was right on point," complimented Fancy, his horn grabbing another off the table. "Now, as I was saying; take the mare aside and gently elevate her. Get her clothing more suited for somepony in your company, show her how to comport herself. She'll probably enjoy the attention."

He turned to Blueblood. "And before you ask, it's not being dishonest when someone of a higher station invites you to stand beside them. Why, consider our newest princess, Twilight Sparkle."

"Do I have to?" Blueblood smirked at the target chosen. "But I do see your point. Princess Celestia did teach her how to not make a fool of herself while she was running around the castle."

"Precisely so." Fancy Pants nodded. "I remember seeing that little filly a few times. Besides a few faux pas, which Princess Celestia was hasty to address, she minded herself reasonably. Accept responsibility, chap. If you like her company, and there's nothing wrong with that, rise to the occasion."

Blueblood let out a slow sigh. "When you say it like that, you make me wonder how I was confused in the first place."

"What are friends for?" Fancy Pants turned away. "Come on then. You--"

"--Thank you," cut off Blueblood. "For being there, for entertaining me. One more favor, if you would."

Fancy could see a new fire in Blueblood and inclined his head. "Chap, you know you needn't ask. You have the look of a pony with no patience and things in need of doing. I will cover your retreat."

"You are the best." Blueblood hurried away, confident that his friend had his back.


Earlier, Cadance had arrived with that too-wide smile. "I know you're a little angry at me, cousin, but I have a mare that is sure to pl--"

He shoved a hoof at her. "No, quite enough. I've tolerated your games quite far enough."

"I'm not playing games," she assured with a pout. "Blueblood, I know you don't think it can be true, but I really do want you to be happy."

"And the only means to that is to play matchmaker?" He hiked a brow at the large pink princess. Why were princesses always so much larger than princes? Hardly fair, but such was life. "To insist on meddling where one has been declined is a clear lack of decorum."

"I just feel awful. We're being honest now. I want to find somepony you can get along with," she assured. "No games. No tricks. No mares who just want to be royals."

"Then your task is complete." He turned his head away from her, nose uplifted. "You succeeded. Congratulations. Now return to your own kingdom, which surely misses you terribly." His sarcasm was difficult to miss.

"Blue... cousin, pardon me, but on what planet have I succeeded?" Her brow was raised high, peering at him harshly.

"You introduced me to a mare that isn't asking anything unreasonable of me." He turned towards Cadance, smiling smugly. "We have little conversations about nothing particularly important, just the way you wanted. You did it."

Cadance blinked rapidly. "Gentle Mare?! I mean... good! Good..." She felt a little dizzy. How had she not noticed?! "You two are getting along then?"

"Famously," assured Blueblood. "Now go home, cousin. I can manage myself from here."

And that was one nuisance removed, at least for a time. Though Cadance's fancies of a whirlwind romance were nothing more than a wild dream.


"Do you wish to talk?" There was Luna, standing before him in the middle of the dream he had been having about winning an eating contest. As if he'd ever do such a thing! How uncouth... "I know this is not a nightmare, but the last time we were interrupted, and you didn't stop by. Say the word and I will depart."

Blueblood rose to his hooves, abandoning the countless hayburgers he had been inhaling. "Is there some manner of 'knocking' that works in dreams, auntie?"

"Would that there were," she sighed. "I am not trying to be rude. A single word and I will depart."

His lips upturned just faintly. He believed her. "Terrible inconvenient that. Well, you're already here." He inclined his head at her. "What do you need?"

"I require little. It is you that has needs." She pointed at him. "I did not forget our time. I trust you did not either? I feel we are drawing closer to some measure of understanding."

"I am not a puzzle for you to while time away with idle hooves, auntie." He raised a hoof to his chest. "I'm just fine."

"I am uncertain I entirely believe that... Blueblood, I am on your side." She dipped her head, ears splayed. "I want you to find yourself; whatever that may be. Prince, princess, or something else entirely."

The hoof at his chest was brought away as he waved it away. "Auntie, I appreciate your concern, I do, but why? You scarcely know me, and propriety does not demand your intervention here."

"I have made my own decision." She stepped forward towards him, head lowering to put their eyes on even level. "I would see the dark clouds banished from your mind and heart. Will you help your aunt help you in kind? You deserve to be a fully realized pony, satisfied with who they are."

"And if I am not?" he posited, tongue curling a bit. "If what I am is what I am displeased with, what--"

Her horn glowed, plucking free the token she had given him. "I gave you a means to change what most would consider unchanging. The only thing I can't change, that is entirely up to you, is your mind. I won't force that, nor do I think I should even consider it."

The glow around the token shifted as he grabbed it back, though she didn't really try to prevent it. "I have heard there are spells that can change that. You could make me happy just as I am, I should think."

"But then I would be abandoning my principle." She shook her head. "I would rather fail honestly than stoop to that. Blueblood, do you think of your cutie mark often?"

He looked back over himself, setting his eyes on the cross-over-cross pattern that was his cutie mark. "What of it?"

"It is a compass rose." Luna reached, gently touching it. "A tool for finding, for navigation, for seeking... You are seeking, and if I can help you find it, I would be honored. Even if following that compass takes you in a grand circle, you will be happier for having completed the journey." A little smile touched her face. "Perhaps, afterwards, you will be more equipped to help other ponies tread their own paths, to find what is hiding from them."

But part of him quailed. Why was Luna so interested in him? And yet, another part wanted to hide under her. She cared... "I'm..." He glanced left and right as if someone might be watching, even if they were in a dream. "I... Aunt... May I make an admission, knowing it will never be repeated?"

"I swear it." She raised a hoof high, eyes closing. "I will never speak a word of what I witness in a dream without leave of the pony involved."

"Princess Luna..." He took a slow breath, even if he needed no breath in a dream. "I am scared."

And she didn't laugh. She didn't mock him. She gently set a hoof over him, and held him. No words were said, and not a single one was required.

They got no further that night in their conversation, but their understanding of one another grew despite it.


He looked around at the lines of clothing. "This is the best you have?" he asked suspiciously.

Jet Set rolled his eyes. "The best, he asks, as if we'd deal with anything else."

"It is to laugh," joined his wife, Upper Crust, a hoof raised to shield her laughter. "Of course it's the best. What are you looking for?"

They were judging him. It was basically their job... "I am shopping for an acquaintance," he declared, puffing his chest out. "They are a mare."

"Oh!" Jet shook his head. "You should have started there." He pointed across the room. "The mare's lines are over there. Mares and stallions do not often wear the same thing."

"Unless they're working," added Upper. "Probably somewhere they don't own." The two laughed at one, in sync in their derision for the lower classes.

The question he had was put to rest as Blueblood turned for the door. "I'm afraid they have very specific needs. I've chosen the wrong place." And he trotted out even as they blamed his lack of success on him. Surely it couldn't at all be their fault.


Blueblood heaved a great sigh. Before him was a store, but not any store. Canterlot Boutique. A perfectly reasonable place, for the lower classes... But that wasn't the really prickly part. It was the owner. He knew who claimed dominion over that store... and there was precious little love between them.

"Why couldn't you stay in that Podunk little town of yours?" he grumped with a little frown, though it quickly eased away. It didn't do for a prince to wear a frown. Adjusting his shirt, he advanced, determined to not let her stand in the way.

"Welcome to Canterlot Boutique," came a female voice, but not that one. A tall and gangly mare peeked up from over a clothing line. "Can I help, oh! Prince Blueblood, what an honor," gushed Sassy Saddles. "I'll just put a pin in what I was working on." She danced around the obstacle to reach him. "How can I help you today?"

His tension ebbed somewhat. That mare seemed more interested in helping him than judging, a point in favor of that establishment. "I am shopping, for somepony else. Kindly direct me to the mare's selection."

"What season are you looking for?" she asked, inclining her head but asking no questions about the need for mare's clothes.

"The current one." Blueblood tapped the ground. "This is for a common mare. I want her to look less out of place in my circles. Do you understand?"

"I certainly do," promised Sassy as she trotted past him, showing the way to the mare's section by merit of going to it herself. "Have a look around. Find the pattern that matches her and I'll be glad to help coordinate the rest of her ensemble. Should she match you?" She suddenly waved at the air. "Look at me, assuming things. I'll let you decide what she should match."

A difference there from the two upper class fashionistas he had just spoken to. "Thank you. I'll browse and inform you if I need your assistance." He advanced on a pole that held a dizzying variety of mare's dresses. It wasn't the number that bothered him, however. A royal pony, he was quite used to having quite the selection of fashion choices to meet specific needs. He reached up and began hoofing through them one by one.

Sassy trotted off, returning to her other duties. "Just give a call and I'll be over before you finish."

He mused between one and the next. "Too flashy. Too bland." He set them aside, always reaching for the next. "This could be nice..." It had frills in the right place that drew just the right amount of attention in his mind's eyes. "They'd accent her eyes." He held it up against himself, imagining its fit as he turned in place, gazing into a convenient mirror.

Sassy was busy with other customers, he could hear them talking. No eyes were on him.

The pony in the mirror winked, or was that his imagination? Bluebelle was there, posing in her clothing and looking so satisfied. They hugged her body in a different way than a stallion's attire would do, and she liked it.

But he was right there, just holding the clothing in his magic. "Get ahold of yourself," he chastised quietly. "I should see what it looks like..." He plucked a few pieces that fit his sense of fashion and trotted off, vanishing into a fitting room and locking the door securely behind him.

Not that he had a mare to put them on. Gentle Mare wasn't there. She was at home, or laboring in her own shop. She didn't even know Blueblood was off getting her a gift of clothing. "Nothing for it," he muttered, half excusing himself. His magic plucking his own clothing free and hanging them up properly one by one until he was as naked as the day he was born. Improper for a royal pony. Thankfully, that shame was hidden by the door.

"Everything alright?" came Sassy's voice. "Find something for yourself? How delightful!"

"I'm just fine!" he got out in almost a squeak. "I'll be out when I'm done."

"And not a moment sooner," easily agreed Sassy. "Please, take your time."

He took a moment just catching his breath. "For a friend," he reminded himself, lowering the mare's clothing and stepping into it. "I'll have to get her measurements before I finalize this anyway." He had selected a size that fit him, however, and with practiced ease, he slipped into it just like any other bit of clothing given his way.

Though the measurements were about right, a stallion was not shaped like a mare. The dress bulged in some places and hung in others. But he was wearing it. He turned to the mirror and his eyes swept over himself. "I'm not shaped well for this."

And a moment later he realized that was an odd thing to say. The clothes were the thing not shaped well, not him. But then, they were mare's clothing. They weren't designed to be worn by a royal stallion. He could imagine Bluebelle wearing the same clothing, posing left and right at him. "Missing... something." His magic snatched a hat and added to the ensemble. "Closer..." But something was off, he tilted his head, seeing Bluebelle imitate the gesture in the mirror.

"Ah, right." A saddlebag settled over his back, and her back, and he sat to bring up his forehooves and clop with approval. "Magnifique!"

"That was the sound of a happy customer," called out Sassy from elsewhere in the store. "Do you need any adjustments?"

"I'm fine!" he squeaked out before he composed himself. "Just fine. I realized I need to get some measurements. You do adjustments? Fantastic. Give me a moment..." He began climbing out of the dress, his cheeks warm with shame. At least nopony had seen him in his moment of wearing mare's clothing!

He burst out of the small room, the dress he had selected floating beside him. "Keep these aside. I'll have them adjusted later."

Sassy's horn began to glow as she took them, but then she grabbed something else that made his ear flick. A hat floated into view off of his head, where she had retaken it. "Fancy it?" she asked with a bright smile.

Oh, if only he could have just imploded on himself. The hat was a grand thing, fit for a mare, all frills and feathers and, at best, horribly gaudy on a stallion. "I ran out of places to hold it," he explained hurriedly. "Keep that too, yes."

"She'll look lovely with all this on," assured Sassy, trotting off with the selection of clothing. "Come back with her measurements and I'll have it done in a flash! We'll put a pin right in your shopping trip and she'll be delighted." As she went, she looked over her shoulder. "If you're winded, I suggest the place two doors down. Fit for a princess, but with a price even lesser ponies can consider."

Of course she had asked that. Being tired was about the only reason a unicorn would 'run out' of places to hold things in their magic. "Thank you," he mumbled, not arguing with her assumption. "I'll be off then." And he escaped that clothing store, trotting vigorously back to the palace. "At least she wasn't there..."


"My measurements?" asked Gentle Mare with wide eyes. "Whyever would you need that, sir? I mean no disrespect. You've been nothing but kind to me." She nodded firmly. "I'm sure you have your reasons... Oh, well, there I go explaining my own questions." She waved it off. "You obviously have a good reason, or you wouldn't ask. Do you have a pen?"

A quill floated over, its color shifting as she took hold of it and began writing down her numbers. "Here you are. I admit, I'm very curious what this is for, but I will have faith that it will be something lovely. You've been nothing besides that, so far. I'm glad we met, even if i was a bit awkward at first." She glanced towards the door of their sitting room. "Princess Cadance is gone, isn't she?"

"Back home," sighed out Blueblood with some relief. "I swear I will do nothing untoward with this." His magic plucked up the paper with the vital numbers. "I believe you will like it quite a bit. It is time we took our relationship to the next level."

She gasped, staggering back. "Your majesty!" she squeaked, trembling. "I'm not ready for that!"

Blueblood blinked a few times with confusion before it hit him. "Gentle, dispel that notion." He waved a hoof flat from left to right. "I meant as acquaintances. We are, as it is said, friends. I would like you to walk confidently beside me and not feel out of place. I will address that forthwith."

"Oh! That's different." She let out her breath in a laughing gust. "Oh my, I feel like such a foal. I mean, you're a peach. If... you did want that, I wouldn't..." She worked her hooves together. "Never mind, that's not appropriate for a mare to bring up to a prince. Thank you, for allowing me to be your friend. I'm happy with that."

He nodded with growing confidence. "Not appropriate," he agreed. "I'm glad we agree. Now, just you wait. I will perform some magic."

He would buy her a new suit, and she wouldn't look too out of place, but... "There is one thing I cannot simply purchase, Gentle. If you're serious, are you prepared to learn to act the part? While I do not expect you to master the steps as a pony born to it, there are things even a common pony can do to minimize that friction and get along in the upper crust of society. Are you prepared to learn?"

"That sounds a little frightening," she admitted. "But I trust you." She suddenly smiled. "Maybe after that, I can bring you to my shop. You've never been by. We'll experience each other's worlds a little. Won't that be fun?"

Author's Note:

Welcome to update 2 of the month!

Posted early for patrons. Want to get updates early, and/or get your own story here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!