• Published 2nd Aug 2020
  • 9,439 Views, 857 Comments

Blueblooded Bluebell - David Silver



That Prince Blueblood treats mares terribly. Luna takes matters into her own hoof to teach him a lesson, but it is she that learns something instead.

  • ...
62
 857
 9,439

21 - You've Got Mail

"Requests for money." Celestia sounded bored and mildly offended. "I glanced them over and little more."

Luna raised a brow. "Truly now. I submit those letters as evidence. If they are frivolous things, they will support the poor character you have imagined Blue Belle to have."

Celestia's horn glowed, several scrolls popping into being and floating towards Luna. "If you insist. I trust the sender of the mail has no issues with Luna reading them?"

Blue shook her head quickly. "None at all." She couldn't think of a single reason she wouldn't want Luna to see those missives.

Luna unfurled the first. "Then allow me to begin..."

Unto Her Majesty, the Princess of Equestria,
Baroness Blue Belle of Sire's Hollow sends greetings

I have made contact with a local businessmare with grand, if a touch overzealous, plans for the improvement of the settlement. I would oversee them and try to guide her towards more reasonable options. While I do this, if you could kindly send 1,000 bits for me to work with, as a show of faith towards her, it would improve my situation. I think she may be key to getting to the bottom of things around here.

Yours Faithfully,
Baroness Blue Belle

Celestia scoffed at the end of the letter. "I saw no need to finance her whimsies and attempts to earn favor."

Luna set the scroll aside calmly, not responding to Celestia's statement. "The second letter."

Unto Her Majesty, the Princess of Equestria,
Baroness Blue Belle of Sire's Hollow sends greetings

Splendid news. I have located the root of the problem and set in motion the cure, but it is not without its financial requirements. Sire's Hollow will be renown, not for chasing the fancy of the moment, but for reviving an old taste to the delight of those who come here. With the agreement of the defender of traditions and the chaser of new things, this community stands united! I trust that you are quite busy, ruling Equestria. Please do send that 1,000 bits whenever convenient. It would help things progress so much more smoothly.

Faithful servant of the crown,
Baroness Blue Belle

Luna set that scroll aside with proper ceremony. "I am going to guess you didn't even bother to read that one."

Celestia set her teeth. She hadn't! She had assumed it was just another foalish request. Her eyes went to Blue. "Since you are here, baroness, why don't you tell us how these bits would see use?"

"With pleasure." She puffed up, taking great pride in her first true work as a baroness. "The ponies of Sire's Hollow were sitting on something quite valuable, the ancient, unmodified, seeds of grain that once made their bread and baked goods. With Starlight's help, we secured them from the silo where they had been hiding among fossilized remains of grains."

Celestia inclined her head faintly. "A fascinating tale, but it does not explain the bits."

"I am getting to it, Auntie." In her excitement, auntie had returned. "We have hired a farmer to begin fostering the return and growth of the seed, untouched to retain the original flavor. He requires compensation for his time and effort. Similarly, construction must be made, repairs to the bakery and construction of new places to market and display the results." She nodded with complete confidence, thinking about it. "Not to mention education and advertisement. Both of their community leaders, hired by me, are hard at work, but the bits would go a long way to making their path smoother, and Sire's Hollow a greater success."

She put a hoof at her chest. "This is not a request to constantly pay for my domain. I feel confident that once this transition is complete, they will be able to pay back what they were granted, and their income will increase, resulting in greater taxes over the long run. A clear win for Equestria."

Luna gestured at her grinning niece, flush with royal pride. "Behold, my greedy niece, seeking ways to enrich... Equestria, and her ponies."

Celestia let out a slow breath, then nodded. "You have caught me." She met Luna's eyes. "I let my ponies down." Whatever gripe she had with Blue Belle, that much seemed clear. "Blue, since you are here, I presume you do not want that money given to you directly?"

Blue applied a hoof to the side of her head. "Too right! I should have sent a third letter. Please address it to Stellar Flare. She has a good head for economic planning."

Luna looked only more victorious. "Are you certain? You don't want a single bit?"

Blue glanced aside at Luna with confusion. "Auntie, why would I? This is for Sire's Hollow."

Luna dipped her head. "And I rest this case."

Celestia nodded softly. "The money will be sent immediately. Good luck to your ponies." Her eyes darted to the juror's booth. "I call Fancy Pants to testify."

"I thought that was irregular," teased Luna, Fire impishly giggling.

Celestia rolled a hoof. "As you established already, this is permitted. Fancy?"

"I am present." He stepped out of the juror's booth. "How may I serve?"

"You were present at the Grand Galloping Gala, two years ago?" She sat up tall. "Kindly describe the defendant's actions."

"I may not."

Celestia started. That was not the response she had been going for! "Why not?"

"Because forgiveness was asked for, and obtained, by all sides of that conflict." Fancy nodded softly. "To bring it up after that would be a gross injustice, and one I cannot tolerate, being the pony who presided over that process."

Fancy had... Celestia sagged. Her choice of jurors was becoming clearly flawed. "You may sit," she miserably allowed. "Star Swirl." He looked towards her. "I would hear your thoughts on this."

Star nodded, rising to his hooves. "The defendant is clearly guilty." There was really little room for doubt there. "They summoned the demon, and had all the means to know not to." Celly nodded along with that, features brightening a little. "However." Her expression fell. "To say it was done with malice is... hasty. I have a question, for the defendant, if I may?"

Celestia looked to Luna, who looked to Blue. Blue nodded and met Star Swirl's eyes. "What is on your mind, honored sir?"

"Madame." Star Swirl looked Blue over. "When you performed the summon, think back to that moment. What is it you truly wanted. What was your goal?" He gestured at Fire Paradox. "She is a very particular kind of demon. There are others even more versed in arcane knowledge, so I struggle to imagine that was at the forefront of your mind, if it resulted in her."

"But I did want to know magic." She glanced off, hoof at her chin in consideration. "But I... had also decided I was unhappy with my... body. I had begun to question the very nature of my... physical being. Auntie dear, I do not mean to accuse you, but it was you that nudged me on this path I now trot along confidently. I was in a confused place, growing more and more uncertain of myself as a stallion, and looking fondly at myself as a mare." Her tail flicked gently at the air, though no fly was present to need the motion. "Does that answer the question?"

"You were hungry for physical gratification, even if it meant a long-term growth," decided Star Swirl, looking confident in himself. "And that is what called the tempter demon, one who had some knowledge of magic. Yes, they sent precisely the correct demon." He leaned forward softly. "One last question. Knowing now that Fire Paradox is a threat to Equestria, would you stand in the way of our banishing her?"

All eyes went to Blue. Her agreeing to send the demon home would, likely, be the end of the case. All of Celestia's standing has been worked out from beneath her. All Blue had to say was -- "Yes." All the jurors gasped.

Luna drove a hoof into the floor. "Surely you misunderstand! Niece, let us send Fire home and be done with this."

"I will not." Blue sat up tall. "She has served me well, and performed no crimes. Is it not Celestia herself that champions we should give other creatures a chance? Fire Paradox has been an excellent teacher, whatever her origins. I will not return that with malice."

Fire clopped her hooves to her cheeks. "Aw..." She looked somehow between being offended and endeared. "You'd make a terrible infernalist."

Celly sighed, sagging her head. "A truer statement was never spoken. Luna, I think this trial is at an end."

Luna nodded softly. "Jurors, do you need time to consider your verdict?"

They looked among each other before Starlight hopped to her hooves. "We do not."

"Then what is your verdict?"

"Not Guilty," declared Fancy Pants firmly. "At least of infernalism. Dear needs to never use that particular book again."

"Agreed," echoed Starlight. "We have so many other fun spells to try!"

Star Swirl inclined his head. "Guilty." The other jurors looked towards him. "What? It is true. She did summon the demon, and will not banish them."

Celestia clopped a hoof. "Order. With Luna's approval, I declare the defendant not guilty of infernalism. I do find them guilty of reckless magic use." She waved a hoof at Blue lightly. "Seeing as nopony was hurt in the process, I motion she be remedied with community service and remedial arcane tutoring, so this can be avoided in the future."

"That is fair." Luna nodded at her niece. "Let it be known then, my niece is not an infernalist." She turned to the jurors. "Thank you, for your time and input."

The jurors rose to depart, that court affair, complete.

Celestia let out a slow breath before her eyes met with Fire's. "As for you... None of this makes you any less of a demon."

"Can't argue that," allowed Fire, her heart-tipped tail swaying. "But I've been good! I only teased one little stallion, and it worked out even."

Blue lifted an ear, first she'd heard of that.

Luna nodded softly. "She has been well behaved in my care. Having fulfilled her side of the bargain, I would not see harm visited on her."

Celly spread her hooves. "Don't you want to go home? You can't find your position with Blue Belle to be that satisfying."

Fire pressed her hooves to her cheeks. "She grows on ya." Her eyes settled on Blue, considering like a hungry wolf would a lone sheep. "She's got so much more to learn..."

Luna smirked at that. "Will you feel that way, after I properly instruct her on exactly what limits to have and place? She will be a guileless part of this no further, if that is what you look forward to."

Fire gave Luna a glare at that. "Taking some of the fun out of it. I've seen the rest of your spells, graceless and lacking in style." She put a hoof to her chest. "Consider it an artistic thing. I'm bringing sexy back." She waggled her bottom in an invitation. The guards, having returned, peered at her nervously.

Luna brought up both hooves, striking them together. "Then I motion she remain under my care until after Blue Belle has received a full education on the matter." Fire grumbled, but did not object.

"It still bothers me, sister, that you know as much as you do on this topic..."

"I watch the night, Sister Mine. I've seen things." Luna rolled her eyes softly. "This little demon is practically cute compared to many of her 'kin'." Suddenly she thrust a hoof at Blue. "And remember that! You were lucky, very lucky. You could have been torn to bloody pieces or had your mind thrown clear to make room for another with far grander plans."

Fire wobbled her head left and right with hoof motions to follow. "She's not wrong." She knew the sorts of things that inhabited her world.

Celestia rose to her hooves. "This matter is settled then. Blue Belle, your barony will receive your requested funds shortly. Luna, I trust the demon to your care. It is your responsibility that it not cause mischief."

Luna snorted softly. "Come along, Fire. We're done here." She strode from the room, and Fire went trotting right behind her without a complaint. It seemed Luna had placed herself as the leader, and been accepted.

Blue left just after Luna, shaken, but relieved. "Blue." She stopped cold, looking over her shoulder at Celestia.

"Yes, auntie?"

Celestia inclined her head. "I admit I was wrong."

Blue blinked softly. She hadn't expected that. "Thank you, auntie. I have learned I was wrong about a good number of things." She smiled gently. "If ever you wish to compare our wrong assumptions, I would be delighted."

Celestia returned the smile. "I am proud, and ashamed, that you grew so much without me even noticing." She was still a moment, but Blue could feel more coming. "My school has need of you."

Blue blinked at that. "Pardon?"

"My school. It is quite well prepared for young learners." Celestia gestured at Blue. "But is woefully unprepared for grown ponies who wish to expand their horizons. I have been wronging them, denying them the chance to safely learn and practice. Think of all the great wizards we missed, because we slapped shut the door to the opportunity at such a young age."

"It can be difficult," admitted Blue. "I had considered giving up several times..."

"But with a proper teacher, perhaps it would have been easier," assured Celestia gently. "Preferably one that is not a demon."

"Preferably," laughed out Blue. "I still don't entirely understand what a 'demon' is, auntie."

"I trust that to Luna's care." She stepped down from her thrown. "But that leaves open this question. Are you available? It seems to me you've settled things in your domain. It is not unusual for a landed noble to engage in other goals, especially productive ones."

"Yes..." Spending her time at Celestia's school would hardly be reason to think she was shirking her duties. She was helping Equestria! "Allow me time to consider your most generous offer, auntie dear."

"I will eagerly await that reply," allowed Celestia with a dip of her head.

Blue strode free of the court, a smile on her face, freedom in her heart, and a soft silk bag thrown over her head. Wait... "I say!" She was being nudged along by some unseen assailant. "Unhoof me this instant!" she demanded, but they would not. She was being moved, but couldn't tell where towards.

She was urged to climb some stairs, then crashed down on something soft. A seat? They were moving, she could hear wheels clattering on the road, and the vibration of the... carriage... around them? "Is this about money? I have but a few bits on me at present." But a royal could be worth more, if kept safe!

But they didn't say anything, which was the worst part, really. "Whatever do you want?!" They wanted her to move, being nudged right back out of the carriage and forced to walk in the darkness. Her horn wasn't bound or otherwise stopped. She could do magic. Maybe she could even turn the bag over her head into something else. But... then she'd start glowing, and there was a good chance they'd notice and...

She was suddenly shoved forward, thumping to the ground in an ungainly heap. "I say!" The door she didn't know was there before slammed shut behind her. "This is most uncalled for."

"Au Contraire," sang a smooth Prench voice. "This is what you have coming, exactement."

A Prench assassin?! Or a ransomer, perhaps? "What do you want?"

"Tue," whispered the unseen voice in her ear. "You are the objet de désir. Now then." The bag over her head began to glow, then was plucked free to reveal the grinning face of Fleur. "Welcome home, my petite soeur. This is for making us wait in misery while you were gone."

Fancy circled into view. "I do hope you weren't too startled, my dear."

Blue let out a wheezing laugh, realizing the truth of things. "You terrible fiends!" She bounced to her hooves with a big smile. "It is a delight to return."

"Petite soeur, I hear you were charged with crimes most terrible." Fleur pressed her nose into Blue's closer cheek. "Poor thing."

"Quite an event, that." Fancy nodded in soft agreement. "But put behind us. I hear you've been quite busy being a baroness!"

"Ah, oui! Tell us more of that!" Fleur began clopping her hooves in giddy applause.

And so Blue did, telling them the tale of her travels. "I am looking forward to word of their success."

"It certainly sounds like you've put them on that path." Fancy's horn glowed as he pulled over several tall glasses, passing one to each of the others. "A toast, to royal duties well fulfilled!"

They each took a good sip, happy smiles on their faces. "Fancy." Fancy pricked up at Blue's words. "I... feel there is something we should discuss."

"Whatever would that be?" Fancy inclined his head. "I'm sorry I had to stand in jury for you. Terrible business, that, but they hadn't told me what pony would be tried at that point."

"Not that." She was actually pretty happy her jury had included two friends! What luck! "It's... about what Luna said." She looked between Fancy and Fleur. "I am not asexual."

Fleur coughed, cheeks going red. "What brought that on? This feels as if it came from nowhere at all."

Fancy shrank back, ears folding in shame. "Don't force yourself, for my sake. As a gentlepony, your comfort comes long before my own, Baroness."

"And my comfort includes you." She set a hoof on his shoulder. "Last time we talked about this, I was still so... I didn't know. I still don't entirely... but I want you there, in it... If... we come to that point... I feel confident you will handle it, and me, with the utmost of care and diligence... And... I can't imagine a single other pony I could trust more."

Fleur suddenly grabbed both ponies. "My heart aches with amour écrasant! My brother, my sister." She squeezed them tightly, a bright smile on her face. "This is not a path I can follow you on, bien sûr, but my wishes, they follow you."

Fancy looked less certain, though he was smiling, daring to return the embrace, which grew more certain as Blue joined in, all three clinging to one another. "If it helps, you would be the first proper marefriend I had."

Blue frowned at that. "You're kidding! I've seen you in the company of more than a few mares, Fancy. Don't fib."

"Quite a number." He inclined his head lightly. "But only for an evening each, and only for a specific function. None were ever promised or given more than that."

Blue set a hoof on her own chest, feeling her heart thumping inside. "I'm really the first?"

"The very first," assured Fancy with a gentle smile. "And I am proud to have waited until something worth the time came along."

"You're flattering me!" Despite her protest, she melted a little. The fact that she wanted to hear those words, not a secret from a single pony in that room. "Fancy... you have been beyond an excellent friend to me, before, and after."

"And you have not?" Fancy tipped his glass towards her. "You were a good friend long before this came up. We are... changing our relationship, but not starting it."

Fleur could find no words, so she just hugged the two some more, even if they had stopped returning the motion.

"Now, a question that is, perhaps, improper." Fancy coughed into a hoof as if to excuse himself of the mistake he was about to make. "How are you enjoying your dresses? I rarely see you outside of one these days."

Blue colored at that, feeling, for just an instant, like a stallion caught dressing like a mare. But she was not a stallion. She was a mare... "I adore them. They feel lovely, and they look nice." She drew back from Fleur and began to turn. "And they look nice on me, do they not?"

Fancy nodded appreciatively. "I feel it almost unseemly to agree, but you make that dress look even better, madame."

Fleur giggled with delight. "It is a funny thing, venir penser. I so very rarely adorn myself. Around you is the only time I feel underdressed." She inclined her head at Blue. "Jument coquine, you make your sister question herself."

Blue colored at that. "Heavens no! You are a vision of loveliness no matter how much, or little, you put on top," she assured in a frantic hurry. "But if you want to go dress shopping... I know a lovely place, and would be delighted to come along."

"Now that..." Fleur tapped her chin softly. "Un rendez-vous." She nodded. "Oui! We will set the dates later. For now, treats!" Her horn glowed as platters came closer, burdened with all manner of sweet things prepared for their get-together. "All your favorites."

Blue took a careful bite of what she presented, a satisfied noise at its taste.

"I prepared it." Fancy was buffing his chest.

"You're kidding! You have more talents than ever I would have guessed." Blue threw an arm over Fancy's neck, hugging him. "When did you pick up that trick?"

And so they enjoyed their little party, just the three of them. Larger groups were scheduled for later. The entire upperclass of Canterlot had to be informed of Blue Belle's triumphant return, in due time.