• Published 10th May 2020
  • 5,550 Views, 278 Comments

Pandemic: Starting Over - Halira



A unicorn with an unscrupulous past finds herself as a guardian to five orphaned foals. Now she must help them after their world has fallen down, and they must help her become a better pony.

  • ...
17
 278
 5,550

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 43: Why You Should Never Sleep In

I opened my eyes to see a window with bright sunlight pouring in. I was in bed, and I didn't recall going to bed. It was also well into the day, and I was reasonably sure it was evening when Starlight zapped me. I hated sleeping in late. It was a loss of productive hours.

"You're awake! Sorry, I didn't intend for the spell to be that strong. At least you got some good rest," I heard Starlight say from somewhere close by.

I turned over in the bed to face her. She was sitting on a chair beside the bed. I could see all my bags, including the saddlebag from Equestria, piled in a corner behind her.

"What time Is it?" I asked as I shook off the blanket that had been covering me. Enough of the day had been wasted already if the sun was that bright.

"A quarter till eleven in the morning," Starlight replied. "You've been out about fourteen hours. Josie was in here with Mèng, watching over you all night. I relieved her when I got up."

I hopped down from the bed and gave myself a good shake to get the blood pumping. "Tell her I appreciate that."

Starlight seemed uncomfortable about something. "Number Crunch paid her extra for her services already and is going to pay the fine the Dreamwardens levied on her."

My head jerked up. "Fine? What did they fine her for?"

Starlight shrugged. "She wouldn't give details. She is clearly annoyed about the fine, but said it could have been worse. She violated some dreamwalking rule by doing that scrying yesterday. They gave her a hefty fine, suspended her use of the ability for thirty days, and warned her not to do it again."

"Well, that seems unfair," I muttered. "She was only using that ability to help protect the household."

"You know how Dreamwardens get with rules and regulations. They don't even pull favors for anyone, even family, even if they want to. They aren't known for letting things slide unless it was a matter of life and death, and Josie was not in any immediate danger when she did it. This is the closest to overlooking such a violation that they give," Starlight replied in a weary voice.

"True, and at least it just boils down to a month long inconvenience for her instead of a lasting punishment. Depending on how often she uses that ability, it might not even be an inconvenience for her, but I wish we could have used that again to scout out what's happening down there," I said with a sigh. I then looked up and met her eyes. "So what did I miss while I was asleep?"

Starlight hesitated. "How about you tell me how things went with Luna first. Then you can shower and get ready for the day."

I snorted. "I have been successfully intervened. You are looking at Luna's new personal student, yippee. I can skip the shower. Tell me what's been happening."

Starlight's eyes went wide. "Personal student? I didn't expect her to do that. Congratulations. That is a big honor. Although, you don't seem that happy about it."

"I just have to write her weekly friendship reports. It isn't like I'm getting any perks out of this, only more work to do. The whole thing seems ridiculous to me, but I'll do it because it matters so much to Tonya and my daughter," I grumbled. "Can you stop stalling and tell me what has happened?"

Starlight frowned. "There are now a dozen SPEC security agents spread out around the house. There were no further incidents with the people in the basement overnight or this morning, but they did leave you a return letter, which you can read over breakfast—I guess it would be lunch now. Everyone spent the night and is still here. Josie says she canceled her original plans for this evening and will spend the day and night here. I think she is being protective. Last but not least, three earth ponies showed up about an hour ago claiming to be your parents and little brother."

"My parents and Sinker are here?!" I yelled in shock. "Why? How did they even know where to find me? We've still got crazy humans below us. So, why didn't anyone tell them now is not a good time to visit?"

Starlight blinked. "They said that they were speaking to your daughter-in-law on the phone yesterday, and she gave them the address. Speaking of which, they said Rosetta Stone and your grandfoals should be arriving tomorrow."

I sat down with an audible dejected thump. "Oh, screw me."

Starlight tilted her head. "Um...no offense, but you aren't my type." Then she chuckled. "Sorry, I was trying to lighten the mood. I know what you meant—although you really aren't my type."

I put a hoof to my face and shook my head. "Where are my parents and the foals?"

"In the big family room," Starlight answered and pointed at the floor. "They are all getting to know one another. Not sure how it is going because I've been up here and only have ponies drop by here and there to give me updates. The last update was about half-an-hour ago."

"I suppose I should go see them," I muttered.

Starlight walked over to me and touched my shoulder. "I know things are a little weird right now, but we have plenty of security here to keep them safe. You should value all the time you have with your family."

"You don't have a family quite like mine," I replied. "Really dreading Rosetta coming here tomorrow. She and I have never gotten along, and after what I did to her mother…"

She gave me a sympathetic look. "I know my dad can get on my last nerve. He was so overprotective of me he wouldn't even let me leave town to go to magic school after I got my cutie mark in magic—something that mattered dearly to me after my only friend left the year before to attend Celestia's school. However, I lost my mom at a young age, and it took me a long time to realize that was his way of coping with grief. If he and I had been more open in communicating, it could have changed everything about my life, and I wouldn't have made some of the mistakes I did. I know what went on between you and your daughter-in-law isn't the same, but that doesn't mean you can't try to talk things out."

I raised an eyebrow at her. "How did not going to magic school turn into you trying to get rid of cutie marks?"

Starlight shrugged. "In my mind, a cutie mark took my mom away—she had a soldier cutie mark and died fighting off invaders on the Equestrian frontier. Then another mark took my only friend away, and then when I got mine, it didn't fix anything. My mark just made me feel unfulfilled because I couldn't even study magic. I was young, and angry at the world. I twisted all those thoughts and rage up and turned them into cutie marks are evil."

I nodded. I could empathize with turning thoughts and anger into something perverse. It was the story of my life. What I lacked was the excuse of being young. Sure, I was young when it all started, but it kept going well into middle age.

"Let me go deal with my parents and read that note, and I'll deal with Rosetta tomorrow," I said as I made my way out of the room. Starlight followed behind me.

Guards were posted in the stairwell. They gave me and Starlight a cursory look, but didn't say anything. Someone had taken the initiative to open every door on the second and third floors and put door stops against them, so there was no more constant thumping. It also meant that if anyone were moving about upstairs, they would be heard much more easily.

We entered into the family room and saw everyone but Lántiān were caught up watching Trixie perform an act. The only ponies that didn't have their backs to us were Lántiān—who was on a couch trying to draw in the sketchbook I bought her the other day, and Trixie—who was so caught up in her act and her audience she probably didn't even notice us. Sinker was lying on top of my dad, who was lying down next to my mom. Mèng had taken up a similar position on top of Josie. Líng and Shǔguāng were sitting side by side with their attention entirely focused on the showmare. Malcomb and Number were sitting a short distance away and were only half paying attention to the show as they quietly talked together. Qīng Yǔ was standing on top of her mother with her forelegs propped against the back of the couch, watching the show from a safe distance. A guard stood at the door and acknowledged us as we entered, but went back to watching the show after that.

Lántiān noticed me quickly and seemed excited to see me up and about, but immediately realized that she couldn't rush over to me without dislodging her daughter. Caught in a choice between going to greet me and upsetting her currently entertained foal, the filly ruled in favor of Qīng Yǔ's happiness. It was good to see she had her priorities in order.

Trixie did a flourish with her hat and showed the audience it was empty. "And for my final trick, the great and powerful Trixie shall pull a rabbit out of my hat." She then turned it upside down and stuck a hoof into it.

"Um—" Starlight called out skeptically. "They made you leave your rabbit back in Equestria. It didn't get through customs."

Trixie looked up with a surprised expression. "Really? Then who has Trixie been feeding all those carrots to!" Trixie turned her hat over and shook it. Carrots began to pour out and kept pouring out until she had a pile of carrots beside her, almost as tall as she was.

Okay, I had to admit, that was a nice trick and a great gag. I stomped my hooves in appreciation; everyone else did as well—except the guard who clapped and Lántiān who groaned and rolled her eyes.

Trixie bowed. "Thank you. Thank you. Trixie adores all of you." She then gestured to me. "And it looks like the guest of honor has arrived!"

"It's my home! I'm not a guest!" I protested.

Everyone turned as a group, and the colts all gasped with excitement. The next thing I knew, I was being tackled and knocked on my back by four pint-sized equines in succession.

"Auntie Sunset!"

"Auntie!"

"Ahyee Sunseh!"

"Old Sis!"

A fifth voice came with a giggle and nothing intelligible as another small weight joined the others. Apparently, Qīng Yǔ decided she wasn't going to be left out.

"We were worried about you!"

"Why are you yellow?"

"Gabba doooo!"

"Are you feeling better?"

"Sister wouldn't let us come up and see you!"

"Your house is huge!"

"We met a new friend! His name is Sinker!"

"Bwwaba!"

This was too much for me to process. I couldn't even make out who was saying what. "Can someone give me some help?"

The foals were all lifted off me by Starlight's magic, and each neatly deposited in a semicircle off to the side. I then pulled myself to my hooves.

"Why are you yellow, and what is this about you were doing something foolhardy that could have gotten you killed?" my mother demanded.

I cut my eyes over to her. "Hi, Mom. Nice to see you again too. I'm yellow because I dyed my fur and mane to stand out less in a crowd. As for the other thing, I have a habit of making stupid mistakes. I thought I made that clear."

"We also heard about how the Shimmerists tried to lynch you after you left our house," Dad said in a grave tone. "You should have called for help well before it got to that point."

"Wait—what happened in Pony Hope?!" Number asked in shock.

"I knew that burn on your leg and you losing your phone was suspicious, ma'am!" Lántiān hissed. "You said nothing about it, but I knew something happened!"

Starlight gave me a disappointed look. "I knew something had happened in Pony Hope as well, but I made the mistake of not pushing you about it after you downplayed it. Just like you downplayed what happened yesterday."

I suddenly wished I was back to fielding the foals' questions. I stomped a hoof. "Six Dreamwardens and an alicorn just got on me about putting myself in danger. I get it, you are all worried, and you'd all be hurt if I bit the big one. Let me say that I'm touched. Now, can we drop this conversation because there's nothing productive about it?"

"Just don't do it again, ma'am, and we will," Lántiān said with a contemptuous snort. "We are concerned with your health."

I grimaced. "Says the filly who has bloodied up my nose twice in as many days." I took a deep breath. "Moving on—Mom, Dad, Sinker, why are you here?"

Mom gave me a hurt look. "Do we need a reason to come visit our daughter and see our new adopted family? I thought we moved past this the other day when you came and mended fences with us."

"We spoke with Phobia and Rosetta Stone—who seemed like very nice ponies, by the way," Dad said. "They thought it would be a good idea if we could meet all your foals and grandfoals together, and give their foals a chance to meet their new aunt, uncles, and cousin. Phobia said she had meetings she couldn't cancel, but Rosetta spoke with her sister, and her sister made arrangements to bring them all here. We're looking forward to meeting them all."

"And your lovely wife found Kristin and Andrea for us!" Mom added in excitedly, tearing up as she did. "We got to see them for the first time in years through our dreams. It will take some more time to get to meet them in person with their families, but we're finally getting to reconnect with all our family after all these years!"

My eyebrows shot up. "Tonya found Kristin and Andrea? How?"

Dad smirked. "She is a Dreamwarden, hun. She kinda knows everything about every pony. We asked about them and asked her if she could get us in contact with them. She said she could make no promises and couldn't give out any details, but if she were to hypothetically ask them if they wanted to speak with us—if they were hypothetically ponies or humans with magic, that she would pass the request on. A few minutes later, they were both in a shared dream with us!"

Great, I'd have to deal with my sisters soon, but first I would be dealing with Rosetta. I turned on Number. "Wild made these arrangements, and you didn't tell me?"

Number held up her forehooves defensively. "Sometimes Wild doesn't tell me about things until the last minute. She's a very busy mare. She just called me about it this morning while you were sleeping. She also made arrangements to shuttle your parents here and is paying for Rosetta and the foals' transportation here."

"Such a kind mare," Mom said admiringly.

"Damn bleeding-heart billionaire philanthropist," I muttered. "Did you tell her we have a bunch of crazed humans living under the property?"

Number shrugged. "I told her yesterday. She thinks we can deal with it, and if we can't, at least having Starlight Glimmer here ensures everyone will be safe."

"And the great and powerful Trixie!" Trixie chimed in.

Number gave Trixie a dismissive glance. "And if we haven't dealt with it in the next two or three days, then Wild will show up and deal with it herself. She isn't concerned they are capable of hurting her if she marches in there to talk to them."

Trixie took notice of Number's continued dismissal of her and pouted.

That didn't reassure me much. Starlight was a powerful pony, but she was just one pony. She couldn't be everywhere at once, and Trixie really wasn't a unicorn you wanted for this kind of situation. Also, unlike Wild, Starlight wasn't practically bulletproof. Wild could shake off a gunshot like it was a bee sting, but if Starlight was taken off guard before she could put up a shield, Starlight would have the same resistance to being shot as the rest of us.

"I will want to see that note they left as soon as this discussion is over," I instructed. I then turned back to my parents. "So, how are my sisters doing? I assume they permitted you to share since you already mentioned them."

Dad nodded. "Kristin goes by Amicus Curiae now; she's an earth pony, but still doing all her lawyer stuff—couldn't leave it behind. Her husband and sons are all earth ponies too. Andrea didn't change her name, but she's a crystal pony, and works for the FBI now. Her husband divorced her after ETS since she changed and he didn't, and her kids—well, their grown adults now, are human too, but she still keeps in touch with all of them."

Mom rubbed her forelegs together nervously. "Amie—that's what Amicus said to call her for short, and Andrea said they both knew about you, but decided to keep their distance. Amie said she just learned about it recently by chance when researching stuff for a Blessingist case, and was still trying to decide if she should try reaching out. Andrea said she's known for a long while since it came up in her background checks the FBI does. You've got quite a profile with them."

"Andrea said she's fairly certain she's been denied promotions because she's related to you. They didn't want to grant security clearance to ponies closely related to you. She is a little bitter about it, and may have avoided making contact with you because of it," Dad said sheepishly.

I grimaced and laid my ears back. "Andrea is unhappy because of me. The more things change, the more they stay the same."

"Don't be like that!" Mom half-shouted. "I'm sure that she's angrier at the FBI than you. It isn't your doing, and things might have changed since you aren't the same as you were."

"Why is everyone yelling at Auntie Sunset?" Shǔguāng asked in a partially worried, but also partly angry tone.

"I have even more sisters?!" Sinker asked, focusing on but one detail.

"Abbabwoo ga!" Qīng Yǔ shouted with a giggle. She was undoubtedly more talkative than usual today. Everyone else had something to say, so she must have felt the need to contribute. It wasn't Mandarin, just noise for the sake of noise, but wasn't that what half of all conversations were composed of anyway?

Family always stressed me out up until recently. I always felt the need to be liked and impress all my family, at least the ones I associated with. Wild Growth knew how I got about family. Tonya knew too. Yet despite that, the two were conspiring against me by burying me under a mound of relatives, most of whom I hadn't seen in ages. I wondered if this was some sort of revenge plot.

"I need a minute," I announced.

Lántiān moved like lightning, putting herself between me and everyone else, and glared at them all while doing a stuttered hop with her wings outspread that practically screamed fight me, I'll take you all on. "Give Ma'am space! Can't you all see you are overwhelming her!" She turned and looked at me. "Ma'am, you can go to the dining room where there is food waiting. The older blue unicorn said you like to work when stressed. You can eat while reading the note that those humans left you and decide on a reply. I will stay by your side and assure you aren't bothered by anyone."

She wasn't wrong. I nodded in agreement. "Thank you, Lántiān. That is very considerate of you."

The filly scowled, but straightened her posture in response to the praise. "You do my brothers and me no good if you are too stressed to think clearly, ma'am."

Complete loyalty to her siblings and herself, that is what that filly had. My well-being was tied to their well-being, and I couldn't fault her for being pragmatic. I doubted I would ever get any sort of genuine affection from her, but we could at least understand one another. There would never be sentimentality for me clouding her judgment, just cold self-interest, and that earned her my trust. I was her primary resource, and like me, she understood she shouldn't sabotage herself by not minding and holding onto her most valuable resources.

Mom stepped forward. "Maybe I can come along to—"

Lántiān rounded on her with a hiss. "You can talk to her later when she is ready again. You are all coming at her at once, and you need to step back."

Dad came to Mom's defense. "I'm sorry—Lántiān, was it? Maybe we got off on the wrong hoof with you. We never intended to stress your adopted mother—"

"She's not my mother! She is my guardian! My brothers may feel differently, and that is fine if it brings them comfort, but I won't have her referred to as my mother," the filly growled. "Give her time. She will attend to you shortly."

"Please don't be rude to my parents or anyone else in this house. Just take me to the dining room," I pleaded. I then gave my parents a half-smile. "I told you, she is extremely responsible, just not very polite."

"I see that," Mom muttered. "Good luck with her."

"I think Auntie Sunset is our new mama," Shǔguāng spoke up.

Líng switched his gaze between me, his older brother, and his sister. "Is she our new mama?"

"She is," Shǔguāng asserted. "Sister is just stupid!"

"Stop calling your siblings stupid, Shǔguāng. How many times do I have to ask you?" I demanded.

He gave me a confused look. "You only told me to stop calling Líng stupid. You didn't say anything about Sister."

I facehoofed and shook my head. I just couldn't deal with this at the moment. I was dealing with family overload. "Let's get going, Lántiān."

"Yes, ma'am."

PreviousChapters Next