• Published 1st Sep 2012
  • 345 Views, 3 Comments

An unexpected turn of events - Bommah



A story of love and loss in a world where the most unexpected can become reality.

  • ...
 3
 345

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It was early morning and the sun was rising upon the little house. As Bommah, the pegasus pony, green all over slept with his back turned to the window the warm rays of sunlight slipped in through the cracks in his curtain, falling on the back of his head, warming his body gently and casting a dull hue of light across the room. In the other room was a red unicorn mare, sprawled unceremoniously across the mattress on her stomach, her face buried in the pillow and the blanket spread messily across her red, figure, sleek figure.

With a sigh and some groaning she woke up, rolling onto her back, staring blankly at the ceiling, having just woken from an…. interesting dream. She sighed and rubbed the tiredness from her eyes, a feeling of unease upon her. Shortly though, her hunger overpowered her desire for the warm comfort of the bed and she dragged herself up to begin the day. After a quick trip to the toilet she made her way back toward the front of the house, now outside Bommah’s bedroom door. She slid the door open a crack to peer at him, he was sleeping soundly on his side, on hoof under the pillow, his hair spread everywhere, the blankets rising and falling with the rhythm of his gentle breathing. Sewright found the sight fascinating, but her common sense told her to leave before he woke up and asked what the pregnant unicorn was doing loitering outside his room. She turned and made her way to the other end of the house, walking into the kitchen in attempt to find something to satiate her hunger. She looked at her surroundings and noticed with a start that she knew where nothing was.

Meanwhile in the other room, the sage pegasus had awoken. He blinked a few times to clear his eyes and rolled onto his back, lacking the motivation to get up and start his day, thank Celestia it was a Saturday. He groaned with relief as he arched his back, feeling the tension released as a cracking sensation made its way up his spine. He was suddenly regretting the previous week’s late night shenanigans. He closed his eyes with a sigh, preparing for a little weekend lie-in, when suddenly his ear twitched as it picked up a noise. It sounded like someone going through cupboards, looking for something; and they weren’t being quiet about it either. He flung his bedcovers off and stood up, making his way out of his room to investigate the commotion.

Back in the kitchen, Sewright was rummaging through the cupboards. So far she had managed to track down the milk and a box of cornflakes, now sitting on the table as the mare had herself bent double, her hind in the air as she searched through the cupboard for some bowls. She emerged from the depths, two bowls floating around her, suspended by her telekinesis as she teetered slightly on her hooves, trying to regain her balance. She set the bowls down on the table and turned to a drawer beside the sink opening it up and being greeted by the sight of cutlery. Using her magic she took two spoons, twirling them merrily beside her head. She turned around and nearly jumped out of her skin, stopping in her tracks at the sight before her.

“Oh, hello.” The still sleepy pegasus said, a look of mild surprise in his eyes. He too had been shocked, having walked into his kitchen and being faced by two spoons twirling in mid-air.

“Oh, um… hi…” the mare said, sounding a little embarrassed as she put spoons down timidly on the table. “I’m sorry if I woke you.”

“Oh, no, no…” Bommah said, dismissing the matter. “I probably shouldn’t be sleeping in so much anyways. I was just a little surprised is really. I’m uh, not really used to having other ponies staying over at my house…” He hoofed the ground a little awkwardly as he was speaking, stopping to continue. “I’m sorry I wasn’t up earlier to show you where everything is.”

“Oh, that’s alright!” Sewright said, beaming a little. “I investigated.”

“I can see,” the stallion chuckled to himself. Sewright smiled bashfully, a little embarrassed after having woken up her host.

“So are you going to use that cereal?” The pegasus inquired, pointing to the box still sitting unused on the table. “Or is it just sitting there on display?”

“Oh, yes! I was going to eat that.” Sewright said as she turned and sat at the table. Bommah followed suit and took the other chair, now facing the mare as she lifted the box and poured, then setting the box down in front of the green stallion. Bommah took the box and poured as Sewright began pouring in the milk, passing it to Bommah and picking up her spoon as he set the cereal down, taking the milk and pouring his own.

They ate with an awkward silence. There was little sound in the room other than spoon clinking against bowl and the cornflakes crunching in their mouths.

“So uh, how are you?” Bommah inquired as he finished his mouthful.

“I’m fine thanks.” Sewright said, smiling. “I just woke up not too long ago.” She put another spoonful of cornflakes in her mouth.

“Me neither,” Bommah chuckled. “I rarely get up this early on a weekend, to be honest. Usually I’ll just stay in bed until I need the toilet.”

“Well, the early bird gets the worm.” The red mare said.

“Yeah, well… I’ve never really been one for early mornings.” The pegasus continued eating his cereal.

“Well, if I’m gonna make it in this town as a fashion designer that already has one, I’m really gonna need to work at it.” Sewright stated blankly.

“Mm, you’re referring to Rarity, right?” Bommah said as he hastily choked down a mouthful of cereal.

“Yeah.” Sewright said, nodding. “The pink pony introduced me to her when I arrived in Ponyville.”

Bommah shook his head and chuckled. “Oh my, I remember when Pinkie Pie gave me her little welcome parade back when I moved here. I’ve met some excitable ponies in my short time, but she was something else.”

The sage-coloured pegasus stood up as he drained the last of the milk from his bowl down his throat. He then proceeded to carry the bowl and spoon over to the sink, rinsing both under the tap. He then gathered up the cereal and milk, putting both in their respective places. He turned from the fridge to see Sewright’s bowl empty.

“Here, let me get that for you.” Bommah said as he picked up the bowl and spoon, his wing just lightly brushing against the pregnant unicorn’s face as he did so. “Oh, sorry!”

“Um, okay!” The mare said, her voice sounding unnaturally high pitched compared to what it had been the other night as her face flushed bright red. She averted her eyes and tried not to gasp as Bommah carried her things over to the sink.

“Hm? Are you alright?” The pegasus said, oblivious to what had effect he had just had on the mare.

“Uh, yeah, fine…” She said, stammering a little with her words. “I mean, no thoughts of feathers brushing against...” She stopped abruptly, having said more than she would have liked.

“Oh!” Bommah exclaimed as the realisation of what occurred hit him. “Oh my, I’m so sorry. Did, did I make you, you know, go all…” He said, not really wanting to have to speak too specifically of the mare’s ‘affliction’ so to speak.

“Yes…” The mare spoke quietly.

“Oh my, I’m so sorry…”

“No, I should be apologizing!” The mare exclaimed. She felt awful for making her host feel uncomfortable.

“Oh no, no, no… the fault is all mine.” The stallion said in quick reply. The mare blinked a few times before replying, her face deliberately avoiding the stallion before her.

“Well, it was kinda your fault.”

“Well, this is now kind of awkward…” Bommah said with a sigh.
He circled his hoof on the floor nonchalantly, he was feeling very uncomfortable as of now and could hardly hold eye contact with the pony in front of him, who coincidentally was doing everything in her power to avoid looking at him. She blushed as she put a hoof to her forehead. Her mind swimming with more mental images than she felt comfortable with, stirring feelings within her; intimate feelings. Bommah noticed this and began to worry a little.

“Are you okay? You look a little lightheaded. Do you wanna go and lie down for a bit?”

“How about you just stop making it unintentionally worse?” She snapped, her hoof slamming down onto the kitchen floor as she spoke, her face now creased into an angry frown, glaring at the now shocked green stallion in front of her. She stopped and saw Bommah’s face. It was as if her words had been an invisible hand slapping him across the face. He just stared at her for a moment, the harsh words sinking in, he looked surprised to say the least, and a little hurt and bewildered.

“Oh, um, o-okay…” He said, stammering, not knowing where to look, “I’m sorry, I-I was only trying to help. I’ll just go now.”

Sewright could have sworn she saw the beginning of a tear in the stallion’s eye as he turned, shoulders slumped and left the room. She sat down at the table for a moment. She couldn’t believe what she had just done. This stallion had let a complete stranger into his home out of the kindness of his heart; and here she was, lashing out at him over her hyperactive imagination and inner desires that had got her in this predicament in the first place. She just felt awful as she flashed back to the look of pure shock and hurt, having been spoken to like that after trying so hard to be helpful. After a moment of deliberation, she stood and left the kitchen. She turned out the door to see Bommah sitting on the couch, engrossed in playing the Xbox. He turned and saw Sewright there, but turned his attention back to the game, a steely expression on his face as he tried to block out her presence and focus on the game in front of him.

Rather than standing by awkwardly, Sewright walks over to the couch and sits down beside Bommah, the two ponies separated by a distance of about a foot. Bommah continued to focus on the game, but was well aware of the red mare now sitting beside him. Sewright smiled and sidled up beside the green stallion. His gaze turned toward her and he allowed the corner of his mouth to turn upward into the beginning of a smile for a brief moment before turning his attention back to the game. The two were now right beside one another, and Sewright watched on with interest as the stallion played his game.

They sat like that for a few minutes, until something in the game caught the mare’s attention.

“Uh, why did that happen?” Sewright asked with genuine interest, indicating at the screen.
“Hmm?” The stallion said, looking at her. “Why did what happen?”

“Well, you did a… thing, but I didn’t see you press a button first.” She said, unsure of the correct terminology to use.

“No… I definitely pressed a button. You see this button here?” Bommah said, indicating to a rectangular button on the front of the controller. Sewright nodded. “That’s the right bumper, when I press that I perform a dragon shout.” He explained.

“Oh.” Sewright exclaimed. “So is that what that time… slowing… thing was?”

“Yep, that would be it.”

Bommah paused the game and looked at Sewright.

“Hey, with your… thing, is it going to become a problem for you, living here? I could pay for you to stay at a motel or something, if it’s gonna be too much hassle.” He said, a little wobbly with some of his words, but determined to sort out ‘the issue’.

“Oh, I’ve still got enough money for the inn.” She said.

“But for how long? What ever happened to not really having a job? I’m not just going to send you out into the world if you’re not gonna be able to make it.”

“Well, I could maybe get a job… soon?” Sewright said uncertainly.

“You don’t sound too sure of yourself…” Bommah said, eyeing the mare.

“Well I’m not gonna lie,” the mare said with a sigh, “the impending foal does cause some complications.” She noticed Bommah staring straight into her eyes, a look of genuine care and concern on his face.

“Listen, if you think you can control yourself, for lack of a better phrase, then please stay here; it’ll make things much easier for you.”

“I’ll try…” The mare said.

“That’s all I can ask you to do.” Bommah said, a reassuring smile on his face.

“I wish I didn’t have to.” Sewright said quietly as she let out a sigh.

Feeling a little confident, Bommah slid an arm around the Sewright’s shoulder for what he hoped was a comforting hug.

“Bommah?” Sewright said.

“Yes?” Came the reply from the green stallion.
“I’m sorry I snapped at you earlier.”

“It’s okay, I forgive you.” He said, his voice low and gentle. Sewright leant toward the stallion, her head resting gently against his soft chest. She could smell him now. He had a nice smell, it wasn’t like he had put a whole lot of effort into it, not like the other stallions she had met who went to extremes to smell good by spraying themselves up with half a bottle of deodorant with some cologne for good measure. He had a sort of natural, musky smell to him, but it wasn’t overbearing or unpleasant. She found she quite liked it actually.

“Thankyou. For everything.” She said.

“Anytime.” He said with a smile. Looking down at Sewright, who in turn looked up and returned the stallion’s smile with her own. “Say, would you like to go for a walk? The fresh air might help you feel better.”

“Yes, that would be nice.” The mare said with a smile.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment