• Published 20th May 2020
  • 947 Views, 10 Comments

I Don't Want To Fall Back In Love With You - Princeling



Discord just wants his heart to be at peace. The princesses, fate, and his ex have something else in mind.

  • ...
5
 10
 947

On The Subject of Being Alive

Quite frankly, Sombra detested being alive. Not that he was suicidal, no. He simply wished to end the everlasting agony and humiliation of having everything he once had stripped away from him and wanted a release from his purposeless existence.

Okay, maybe he was a tad suicidal.

But that was of little consequence. Sombra wasn’t allowed to die, thanks to the so-called “mercy” of the princess. He didn’t understand how it was merciful to taunt him like this, force him to face the cold, unforgiving reality. Like it or not, the former king had been defeated for good. Still, that didn’t mean he had to lose his dignity. And it certainly didn’t mean he was just going to give in to that pathetic princess without a fight. It would be nice, to get one final battle in. Defeat the mare who had ruined everything, take back his empire. Oh, he could practically hear the screams and cries of ponies as he took back what was rightfully his.

“Sombra...”

“Sombra...”

“Sombra!” A loud voice snapped the stallion out of his daydream. He looked beside him, making eye contact with none other than Twilight Sparkle herself. She smiled at him, making him want to punch her square in the face thrice as much. He let out a quiet sigh, pushing aside his violent fantasy.

“Yes?”

“Nothing, I just needed to make sure you weren’t, you know, dying. Again.”

That brought the chances of Sombra losing his damn mind up, about 28%, to be exact. He said nothing, instead choosing to focus on the intricate patterns of the runner in the hallway. As the awkward silence filled the air and Sombra showed no signs of interrupting it, Twilight began to speak.

“So, are you... excited to see Screwball? I understand you haven’t met her since, well...”

Sombra nearly froze in his tracks. Of course. Somehow, in between his reunion with Discord and the walk to who-knows-where (he’d imagine Twilight told him, but of course, he paid little attention), he’d forgotten why he’d chosen to let himself suffer “reformation” in the first place. Screwball was alive. And after hundreds of years, he’d get to see her again.

“Where exactly was she? While Discord and I were imprisoned?”

“A year or so before Discord’s first defeat, her magic started to weaken. Discord put her in a sort of magical stasis, so she wouldn’t...” Twilight trailed off, not wanting to say it.

“And then?”

“Oh, well, after Discord was turned to stone, she was still in stasis, in his pocket dimension. Then when he came back and took over Equestria again, she woke up.”

“Didn’t you defeat him that time as well?” Sombra did his best to mask the mild concern in his voice. Twilight smiled warmly at him, though that did little to calm the stallion’s nerves.

“It was some sort of miracle, really. The timing of Discord’s imprisonment and your return were just close enough for Screwball to live off of both of your magic. A couple of years later, when things had settled, we’d managed to help track her down. Turns out, she’d put herself into stasis again.”

Sombra let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding. She really was okay. “Was she... conscious? During those stasis periods.” Twilight shook her head.

“Nope. She’s technically centuries old, but she has the mind and body of a filly.” Twilight put her hoof on Sombra’s shoulder, earning a slight flinch from him. “Your daughter’s okay. I promise.” Sombra said nothing, and the pair continued to walk, reaching the end of the hallway.

“I’d assume he’s taking care of her, then?” Twilight was caught off guard by the icy tone of his voice. Her hoof remained on the door, ready to push it open.

“You mean Discord?” Sombra nodded his head. “Well, yes. We all help out, though, my friends and I.” The mare pushed open the door, allowing the sunlight to stream in. She failed to notice Sombra’s slight hiss, and continued to walk outside, into the back gardens. It was a little amusing to Sombra. How the princesses thought him worthy of redemption, but too dangerous to be walked amongst the citizens of Canterlot. “She’s quite powerful, you know. I understand she was created by a combination of Discord’s and your magic.”

Finally. The one thing Sombra could actually stand to speak about. “Not quite, actually.”

“Then... what? If you don’t mind me asking.” The excitement in her voice was noticeable. Screwball was a mystery, and a miracle of magic. If Twilight could just figure out how she’d happened...

“I do mind, as a matter of fact,your highness.” In truth, Sombra could speak for hours upon hours about the intricacies and techniques of his magic, sharing his various studies and findings. But, like many things in his recent life, Sombra would have to put that on hold. After all, he didn’t know how many opportunities he’d get to taunt the Princess of Friendship. There was also the issue that he still didn’t fully understand what divine power had caused such a merge of his and Discord’s very souls. No, in order to know that, he’d have to ask the draconequus, and Celestia knows Sombra would much rather avoid him at all costs.




Discord used the tip of his talon to scrawl out a few heated thoughts. Literally. His pure anger caused the appendage to glow a faint red, burning his words into the parchment. Fluttershy had told him journaling was a great way to process one’s emotions.

Sombra told him that as well, once.

The charred page fell from Discord’s grasp and fluttered onto the multicolored floor. Scowling at the sheet that was now tainted by memories of his former love, he shot a blast of magic forth from his paw, setting the paper aflame. As he watched his words of anger be reduced to ash, he couldn’t help but wonder what Sombra’s journal was about. Perhaps there was something hidden under the various half-written to-do lists and scribbled out spells.


“What’s that?”

Discord hovered above the deep red cushion, encircling the stallion sitting on it. “Nothing of importance to you, Discord.” The draconequus pouted and moved, so as to take up Sombra’s field of vision.

“Tell me!” Sombra’s mildly annoyed glare and dead silence only increased Discord’s resolve tenfold. He wrapped himself around the grey unicorn and shoved his own face into the pony’s cheek. “Pleeeeeease?” Cartoonishly long eyelashes appeared on Discord as his eyes grew wide. He blinked a few times, hoping to sell the illusion of sadness, to no avail.

“Discord, it’s just a journal. Happy now?”

“Aw, the prince of the Crystal Empire keeps a diary!” He smirked. “How cute.”

“It’s not a diary, it’s a journal,” Sombra stressed. Discord waved his paw.

“Sure, sure. Journal, right. What do you even write about?” He poked the stallion. “About your undying love for me, perhaps?”

“Afraid not. I only write about things that are worthwhile.” Sombra grinned as Discord pretended to faint.

“You wound me.”

“Good!” Sombra laughed. Using his magic, the draconequus threw a pillow at him, which promptly impaled itself on his horn. The prince rolled his eyes.

While he was distracted, Discord grabbed the leather-bound book and began to flip through the pages. Much to his disappointment, its contents were mainly magic studies and complicated prose describing Sombra’s day to day emotional state. Lots of pent up rage and feelings of yearning, from what Discord gathered. The stallion in question hastily stole back the book and held it to his chest.

“You know, you’d think the diary of a prince-”

“Journal,” he corrected.

“Fine. You’d think the journal of a prince would be a lot less boring.” Sombra scoffed and rolled his eyes.

“I told you it wasn’t interesting. I don’t understand why you’d read it anyway. And besides, the point is to get one’s emotions down on paper. It’s a good way to deal with and process one’s inner turmoil.”

“Speak Equestrian, smartass.”

“Writing down your feelings makes you less angry and impulsive.” The prince smirked. “I certainly think you could benefit from it.”

“Wha- ME?! I’m never angry!” he huffed, very clearly angry.

“Whatever.” Sombra pulled a piece of parchment out of his journal and plucked a feather from Discord’s wing, choosing to ignore his various expletives and protests. “Try it.” He lightly tapped the creature on the snout with the feather.

“Make me,” he snarled, albeit playfully.

“Alright.” Sombra pushed his lips against those of the draconequus, wrapping his hooves around him. Both shut their eyes, knowing the motions by rote, like practiced dancers swaying to a familiar song. After three eternities compressed into the space of a few seconds, the pair pulled away from each other. A light smirk played upon the stallion’s face.

“...Fine.”


Discord’s memories were clear as the sparkling gems that built the Crystal Empire from the ground up. How fitting. Unfortunately, he couldn’t say the same for his attempts at expressing his emotions. He was still very much in emotional turmoil, only now the living room reeked of burnt parchment. A growing speck of pink filled the corner of Discord’s vision as his daughter walked towards him. That would mark the first time they’d spoken since he’d found the book.

“Dad, I smelled smoke, is everything oka-” As Screwball emerged from the twisted, seemingly infinite corridor that led to her bedroom, her bubbly voice trailed off, her eyes widening. The filly stopped dead in her tracks. Discord stared in confusion as Screwball struggled to form words. The draconequus turned his head to look at what had put his daughter in such a shock. There in the doorway stood Princess Twilight Sparkle, accompanied by the former king himself, Sombra. Screwball’s no-good, devilishly handsome, murderous, lying, pathetic excuse for a father. Discord scowled at the two of them, holding back several less-than-kind remarks. For Screwball’s sake, of course.

Oh, the pure, raw, unfiltered emotions going through Sombra’s head were enough to make him feel as though he was going to die once more. Screwball was here. Not in a vision, not in a dream, right in front of him, before his very eyes. Centuries of unspoken words filled the air like smoke as the filly practically ran into her father’s hooves, sobbing. A few tears made their way down Sombra’s face as his hold on her tightened. He was never letting go of his little girl, not again.

Discord watched the exchange, distaste apparent in his expression. A pang of sadness shot through his chest. Did Screwball not need him anymore? After all, what need was there for the spirit of chaos, when her other father was once a king? A pony one too. He opened his mouth to say something, only to receive a harsh glare from Twilight. The mare cleared her throat and lightly tapped her hoof against the checkered floor of the living room. The various eternal beings surrounding her turned their attention onto Twilight, Sombra giving her a sharp glare for interrupting his heartfelt reunion with his child.

“I’m sure you all have some... complicated emotions, to work out. But there’s still some practical things we need to figure out. Namely, Sombra’s living arrangement.”

“I’m sure there’s some room for him six feet-” Another chilling glance from the princess made Discord’s mouth close as quickly as it had opened.

“What I was going to say was that ideally, rather than having him stay in Canterlot Castle, Sombra would be staying, well... with you.” Twilight smiled, though it didn’t take a genius to understand that she was perfectly aware of what she was asking. No matter. Discord was well versed in the art of denying the princess anything that would make her life easier. Alas, before he could respond with a scorching, well-thought-out comeback, Screwball turned to him with pleading eyes. He’d already lost. How could he possibly take this from her? She’d been clinging onto any semblance, any trace of her father, and here he was.

Discord wanted Sombra gone. Out of his life.

And yet, he couldn’t bring himself to voice the countless reasons why the stallion shouldn’t have dared to so much as breathe in Discord’s direction ever again.

Twilight smiled.

“No objections? Wonderful.”

Author's Note:

I swear, there’s gonna be some light, sitcom-y fluff in the coming chapters. For now, more drama. Expect more anthology-style chapters from here on out.

Comments ( 2 )

why does it feel like discord is just going to get manipulated again while falling hard

Please update

Login or register to comment