• Published 9th Sep 2019
  • 12,862 Views, 2,412 Comments

The Triwizard Pony - tkepner



When he was nine, Harry became a unicorn when he fell through a portal into the Everfree Forest outside Ponyville. Now, the Goblet of Fire has hauled him back to Hogwarts, still as a unicorn. A unicorn taught by Twilight.

  • ...
75
 2,412
 12,862

Ch. 5 — Alley Set

Ch. 5 — Alley Set

«Spike,» Twilight said tiredly. There was no response. She looked over and saw he had fallen asleep at some point in the very late night. She blinked a couple of times and blearily realized the Sun was up and had been for some time. She looked around the library room in her castle. Her friends were all in various states of collapse. At some point, a maid had brought in pillows and blankets for the exhausted mares.

It had been a long day, yesterday, preparing for the celebration. And then they had started seriously searching for the missing teen at midnight, when the scheduled events had been concluded. She had tried every spell that she, Starlight, and Trixie could find trying to locate the colt. Her friends had turned the town upside down, sometimes literally in the case of Pinkie, with no success.

Now it was time to ask for help. Unfortunately, the first train to Canterlot wouldn’t be until noon.

She nudged Spike a few times until he sleepily looked up at her.

«Send this to Princess Celestia, please,» she said holding out the rolled up paper in her magic. He stared at her a moment, then nodded. He took a breath, and then a flame shot out, disintegrating the scroll. «Go back to sleep. Spike, I’ll wake you later,» she said softly.

She looked at her friends. Only Trixie and Starlight appeared still conscious. «Let’s catch some shut-eye. I’ll set an alarm so we can catch the train and get breakfast . . . or lunch . . . brunch?»

The two nodded. They settled down for naps. They would get the rest of their sleep on the train to Canterlot.

۸-ꞈ-۸

Madam Malkin walked around him, examining him carefully. “Spread your wings,” she ordered.

He did so, slowly and carefully, opening and closing them several times as she watched. Finally, she slipped a robe over his head.

Before she started pinning it up, though, he said, “I need the best quality material you have, as befits my station as a Prince of Equestria. The Royal family will accept no less.” Blueblood would be most displeased if he didn’t portray Equestria in the best light possible. His mum didn’t care, he knew, but the sister princesses would be disappointed at his not thinking of the politics, otherwise. He sighed dramatically, trying to give the impression that it was not by his choice that he made the request.

She looked at the Professor, who, after a moment, nodded her head. Pricilla nodded, returned what she had to the shelves, and went into the back room. Harry could see the difference in the cloth when she came back. She again slipped it over his head, and started to pin things in place. He sighed, softly. This would be as bad as Rarity when she started a new project.

It took the better part of an hour as she cut slits and altered the lay of the fabric until it flowed naturally from his shoulders to the floor. Finally, she said, “There you go dear. You can wear this one now, if you want, or I can have the complete set sent to Hogwarts for you.”

He admired the robes in a mirror, for a moment. Yes, he thought, yes. These will do nicely. Wearing them hid his armour quite well. He would no longer stick out quite so much in a crowd. They even had unobtrusive flaps in the back that allowed his wings easily to slip in and out. And she had altered the interior stitching so that when he went to all-fours the robe didn’t drag on the ground awkwardly, but held tight to his belly. “Yes, I will take this one with me.”

And with the addition of a mild don’t-see-me on his head, they could visit the rest of the shops in the Alley in peace.

“Wonderful,” she exclaimed. “Now, dear, all of Madam Malkins robes come with built-in enchantments to grow as you grow, repel dirt and water, and resist tearing. They still need the occasional cleaning, though. But with a bit of care, they should easily last you through your teen years at Hogwarts, unless you have a dramatic growth spurt.”

He looked at her and tilted his head questioningly. “How much extra is it to include warming, cooling, sweat vanishing, and minor tear-repair rune-spells?”

She looked at him blankly.

He frowned, then said, “If you sew this rune string . . . ,” he projected an illusion of a series of runes in the air. He left them glowing. “. . . into the lining, then it would immediately wick away and vanish your sweat, and help prevent you from overheating and your clothes sticking to you.” He projected a longer rune-set. “These will keep you warm when the air is cold, and cool when it’s hot.” He pointed at two runes. “These two set the temperature to room, about what it is now.” He projected a third set below the first two. “This set corrects minor tears and keeps the garment in pristine condition.” He gave her a smile and ducked his head slightly. “It won’t repair a major tear or sword-slash, but threads won’t catch and runs are prevented.”

Madam Malkin had grabbed a paper and made notes as fast as she could. “You don’t mind if I use these?” she asked breathlessly.

The others had gathered around Harry. “Aren’t those the runes you showed us last night?” Dean said.

Harry looked at him and nodded. To Malkin, he also nodded. “Not at all. These are common and well-known where I come from. To claim them as mine would be disingenuous and disrespectful.” Heh, his mum’s vocabulary was showing through, again. Blueblood would be pleased. One mark of a cultured pony was the expanded vocabulary, he had told Harry.

She nodded. “I’ll be sure to add these to all your robes,” she said. She gave him a brilliant smile. “The only robe charges will be for the actual Acromantula Silk material.”

Professor McGonagall had watched the interchange with great interested, and nodded approvingly.

“By the way,” he said, “I taught several people a spell to have wings like these,” he ruffled his wings, “So you might see some customers asking about alterations.” He gave her a grin.

Professor McGonagall was staring. No one had told her about the wings he had given the twins, it seemed.

Dean immediately stepped over, and started to take off his robe. “Here,” he said, “show her.” His shirt underneath took only a moment for him to remove.

Harry shrugged and concentrated. Seconds later, Dean sported a pair of feathered wings.

“Those will only last a few minutes,” he explained as the seamstress jumped into action measuring and sketching as Dean stretched and folded his new appendages. This early in the morning he hadn’t cast as many spells, so it wasn’t a strain. Making them last longer, or doing it a dozen times? That would be a drain.

Dean sighed disappointedly when the wings disappeared.

As they left the shop, Professor McGonagall said to Harry, “I shall have to introduce you to Professor Bathsheda Babbling, she will be quite interested in your runes.”

Harry felt his wings fade when they walked into the cauldron shop, which was a quick and simple stop.

“I’ll take that,” said Neville, afterwards. He hefted the pewter cauldron, which held stirrers, cups, brass scales, weights, and the other hardware he would need in brewing potions. Harry would get his vials at the Apothecary, Professor McGonagall had explained.

Slug and Jiggers Apothecary was terrifying. Just walking inside made Harry feel sick at the smells. What he saw on display didn’t help. Barrels of slimy stuff sat on the floor, strings of fangs and snarled claws hung from the ceiling, and parts taken from living creatures were everywhere. The animal parts were bad enough, but the silver unicorn horns and clearly labelled dragon-livers and dragon-gloves were especially distressing.

He was acutely aware of his horn, and the thought of Spike’s skin being used for gloves was positively nauseating. The look in the owner’s eyes at realizing that Harry was unicorn, and not just a wizard or witch, made Harry want to leave, immediately.

He recast his personal shield spell. And was pleased to note, a moment later, that the runes in the armour took over most of the magical drain at maintaining it. He hadn’t realized they would help so much. He could easily keep up the personal shield at maximum strength all day without any strain at all. And there wasn’t the obvious glow that full shields had.

He was very relieved to put the shop behind them, and definitely crowded Professor McGonagall as she led the way out with their purchases.

The telescope shop, afterwards, was another quick stop

The visit to Twilfitt and Tatting’s was not. But he did emerge with a complete wardrobe of casual wear and underwear, all altered for his . . . unique . . . requirements. And the promise that they would keep his requirements a secret, but not forget them if he needed any additional purchases. They, too, had appreciated the wicking, temperature, and minor tear-repair spells he mentioned.

The group stopped in at the Leaky Cauldron for leisurely lunch. Harry went with the fish and chips. And treated his friends for coming along and being such good sports while he shopped. He noticed that they had made a few incidental purchases of their own.

That was followed by a stop at a trunk shop. The professor was steering him towards the pile of standard trunks when Harry saw a sign about an expanded trunk. “What’s that?” He pointed.

“Hm? Oh those are our multiple-compartment trunks, with expansion charms.” The salesman said, looking towards where Harry pointed. “They’re a bit more than the normal Hogwarts trunks but are ever so much more practical. A two-compartment trunk, for example,” the salesman walked over to a display and pointed at a trunk with a rather fancy lock, “Would let you keep your clothes conveniently separated from your school supplies.” He opened the trunk to display that the entire top of the lid was eight drawers — two large ones, one above the other, that took up almost half the space, and six smaller ones in two rows beside the larger two. “There are separate drawers to prevent leaky ink bottles or colognes messing up your papers and books.” The lower section was subdivided into vertical, clear-lidded compartments. He closed it, fiddled with the lock, and reopened it to a normal looking trunk space.

Harry was sold on the trunk, immediately. He wanted plenty of time to study those expansion spells, charms, as the wizard had called them.

His mum was going to Pinkie-out at the discovery that she could take everything she needed in a single set of saddlebags. So would Rarity. Not to mention Spike. He, especially, would love only having to tote one small travel-case instead of the three or four huge trunks that Rarity insisted she had to take every time they travelled outside Ponyville.

He knew Trixie would turn green with envy at the thought of a simple lightweight travel-wagon that could hide an entire mansion.

“The two settings on the lock allow you to travel among muggles without arousing any suspicions,” the saleswizard added. “The second compartment has a featherweight spell to hide any suspicious weight.” He lifted the trunk off the table. “The main compartment has a special featherweight spell that engages when it is carried by a wizard or witch to make your travel easier, but a muggle gets the full weight.”

The purchase proved its value when they easily were able to store their all purchases, so far, in the second compartment. Both large drawers were specially spelled with additional enlargement charms. Watching the obviously too-large-for-the-drawer cauldron easily slip inside was simply astonishing to Harry.

He would need a rucksack, Seamus insisted. Which made sense as Harry didn’t have any saddlebags with him to use. Just a small pouch still tucked under his fake-but-now-somewhat-real armour. It contained his monthly allowance, in advance, and a few gems for Spike if he had wanted a nosh while they were at the Nightmare Night carnival.

The discovery that he could get a small shoulder rucksack with both expansion and featherweight charms became another must-have item.

“Just remember,” Professor McGonagall warned, “Don’t put a large-expansion-equipped item inside a small-expansion-equipped item. Bad things tend to happen. Small into large is okay, large into small is not!”

“That’s why robe pockets are all normal-sized,” the saleswizard put in helpfully, “people might forget and put a shrunken, expanded-trunk or bag in their pocket, and then — problems!” He smiled. “That’s why all my expanded trunks and rucksacks have a charm to detect expanded-space items and lock them out. And why my rucksacks have an exterior non-expanded pocket with a flap for shrunken trunks.”

Harry put most of his wizard coins into the trunk, and reserved a good portion for his rucksack. He had to marvel as he poured the coins from his friends’ pockets into the rucksack without it feeling the least bit heaver. That it cost almost as much as the trunk was just the oddity that you encountered when you designed something smaller than it normally was. Despite the size difference, the work to create the spells and ensure they worked was probably only a little bit different between the two items. Doing the smaller item, in fact, probably took more work!

Then came the quill, ink, and paper store. That took longer than it should simply because of the variety of choices in both quills and inks. Harry chose a set of quills that never ran out of ink, never dripped, and never splotched. And an ink collection for colour drawing.

Their last stop of the day was Ollivanders. Harry looked at the sign over the door and shook his head. He knew London didn’t exist that far back, so the Ollivander family must have started making wands in Rome. And he still wasn’t sure what the deal was with them insisting he needed a wand to cast magic. He had a horn.

Stupid wizards.

The shop was quite tiny, by comparison to the other shops. Outside of a single chair by the door, there was only the counter and thousands of narrow boxes stacked neatly from floor to ceiling. There was the distinct air that he had just entered a library, one where the librarian took exception to the tiniest noise. Much like the Royal Library in Canterlot Castle. Only not with the comforting smell of books.

What transpired next was more than a bit surreal. The proprietor, a Garrick Ollivander, wasn’t disturbed at all that Harry was a pony and not a person. No, he didn’t even seem to notice the difference at all.

How he immediately recognized Harry as Harry Potter left the colt more than a little bit disturbed, himself. Hearing that his mother’s wand had been suitable for charms work at ten and a quarter inches long, was “swishy”, and made of willow was a surprise. And then he said Harry’s father’s wand had been excellent for transfiguration as a pliable mahogany wand of eleven inches which was just as impressive, given that both of them had died over thirteen years ago.

The man had an absolutely phenomenal memory.

Then he revealed that he had sold the wand — a powerful yew wand of thirteen-and-a-half inches — that had killed Harry’s parents and left him with the scar on his forehead, now faded. That had been the topper. That wand had to have been sold years, or decades, before his parents had been to the shop. Yeah, a really phenomenal memory.

Then they had embarked on getting Harry a wand.

The first offered was a nine-inch beech-wood and dragon heartstring wand. “Nice and flexible,” Ollivander called it.

Harry backed away, horror-struck. There was no way he was going to touch a wand with a dragon heart-string. Spike would never speak to him again! And, probably, neither would his mum.

Mr. Ollivander noted Harry’s reaction and instead offered a new one. “Perhaps this one, maple and phoenix feather,” he said. “Seven inches. Quite whippy.”

Harry reached out and picked up the wand, surprising his friends as they had only seen him pick things up with magic. Even Professor McGonagall had a surprised expression as he went to raise the wand, which felt . . . off, somehow. Mr. Ollivander snatched it from his hoof almost immediately.

This sequence repeated itself for the next fifteen minutes. Mr. Ollivander would offer a wand to Harry describing its virtues, only to snatch if back almost immediately.

With a curious expression, the wandmaker pulled up a dusty box and placed it on the counter —“Holly and phoenix feather, eleven inches, nice and supple,” he explained

As Harry took the wand in his hoof, he felt a warmth suffuse his leg. He swished it up into the air. Red and gold sparks streamed from the tip like fireworks. He looked at it quizzically. It felt almost like his horn did, only on his leg. What a strange sensation.

Discovering that his new wand was the brother to the wand that had killed his parents almost made Harry return the wand to the box on the counter. But he didn’t. For some reason he felt reluctant to give up the wand. It felt . . . familiar . . . when he held it. He placed it gently back into the box, and paid the requested price.

It was a quiet group that left the wand shop.

“Ice cream,” Harry said. After that experience, he needed a bit of a sit down. He looked down the Alley towards where he had seen . . . ah, there it was, Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour.

Dean and Seamus chimed in immediately with their approval, a moment later so did Neville.

Professor McGonagall looked down at Harry for a moment. It wouldn’t take a genius, Harry knew, to see that the wizard with wide, pale eyes shining like moons had upset him. The way Harry had looked at the final wand, as if he half-wanted to throw it away instead of purchasing it, must have convinced her that they needed to take a break.

She looked briskly around the Alley. She had already shrunken the wand box and placed it in her pocket. “Yes,” she said, “a little treat to celebrate your wand wouldn’t be out of sorts.” She set of out down the Ally, back the way they had come.

They trailed her in a clump, with Harry in the middle.

It was, Harry decided, the best-tasting ice cream he had ever encountered.

While eating, the Professor showed him the small pockets, one on either side of his robe, that could hold his wand so he didn’t have to carry it — a feature of the more expensive robes. The flaps covering the openings were almost impossible to discern on the Acromantula silk pattern. It was easier to find them by feel then by sight. He placed his new wand in the easiest to access pocket.

The creamy texture of the ice cream must have mellowed her out, because it took remarkably little begging by the boys to get her to take them to Gambol and Japes Wizarding Joke Shop. They each left with a bagful of stuff, happily funded by Harry. Harry took a catalogue, as well. Pinkie and Dash were going to love some of the things listed in it! Just the names alone would spark their creativity. Ponyville was doomed.

Then Harry insisted they should visit the bookstore. He didn’t know anything about this culture, nor the magic they used. A little time spent browsing the books available would tell him much that he needed to know.

This was when having the three Fourth-year wizards with him turned out to be a benefit. With their help he selected two books on history, A History of Magic, and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century. He also selected a third book, recommended by Neville, on just the events of the war fourteen years ago, What You-Know-Who And His Followers Did. Basic books on transfigurations, charms, arithmancy, and runes were added to the stack. Another useful book, Harry thought, was 1,001 Household Charms. It was soon followed by Powers You Never Knew You Had and What to Do with Them Now You’ve Wised Up, and The Dark Arts Outsmarted.

“The Hogwarts library has all the books you could conceivably desire to read, Mr. Sparkle,” Professor McGonagall told him.

“But I can’t keep those books when I leave, can I?” was his considered reply.

One item that derailed his train of thought was finding an entire shelf of books that purported to be about him! Sure, the professors had mentioned that there were books about him. But after their explanations of the events thirteen years ago, he had thought they had meant history books, not fiction books. His mum would be appalled. There were titles about Harry ranging from when he was five years old up to more recent editions such as Harry Potter and the Pirates’ Treasure, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Basilisk, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. They all left him shaking his head in disbelief. The fillies would be laughing in hysterics at the cheesy stories.

They made him out to be a genius of unparalleled ability, as strong as a man twice his father’s size, and friendlier than even his mum. And twice as gifted with a wand or potion as the greatest wizard or witch.

He had to wonder if the person who had written these books had been drunk at the time, because none of them bore the slightest resemblance to his life. In fact, about the only things the books got right were his parents’ names, their deaths, and the colour of his eyes.

He bought one of each, almost the entire shelf.

Seeing the saleswitch’s surprised expression, Harry explained. “I want to see what you all think I’ve been doing, because I can guarantee that everything in these books is lies.” At the very least, the fillies would get a good laugh out of them. He could just see them, lying on the floor, kicking their legs lightly, laughing as tears ran down their faces.

The saleswitch just stared at him, puzzled. Of course, Harry realized, she only saw a pony and didn’t know who he was.

He could only marvel as all the books fit easily inside his rucksack.

They returned to Hogwarts through The Leaky Cauldron-to-Three Broomsticks floo connection. McGonagall wanted Harry to at least see Hogsmeade and have an idea of where it was and what it had. Plus, she said, “The walk will do us good. And give Mr. Sparkle a bit of perspective on Hogwarts.”

Which it did. The building was imposing, but not nearly as big as the palace that governed all of Equestria. On the other hoof, it had Canterlot beat on secret passages, talking portraits, and bizarre staircases.

“The Forbidden Forest,” she gestured at the woods that dominated the side of the lake opposite Hogsmeade and almost surrounded the castle, “hosts many dangerous creatures. Students are not allowed to enter it without a professor accompanying them.” She gave the four students a steady and warning stare.

Harry studied the forest. It didn’t have the aura of wrongness that Everfree Forest seemed to exude at home. He examined the edges closely, squinting. “What’s in it?”

“Werewolves!” declared Seamus.

“Giant spiders!” Dean said eagerly.

“Trolls,” added Dean, with a shudder.

“Unicorns,” said Seamus, and got a sharp look from Harry. That he would have to check out.

“Thestrals,” whispered Neville.

Harry raised his eyebrows. Now he definitely needed to check this forest out.

Harry looked at the forest speculatively. “No . . . hydras?”

“No.”

“No . . . cockatrices?”

“No.”

“No timberwolves? Cragadiles? Manticores? Pukwudgies? Ursa Bears?”

He received a “no” for each creature he mentioned and a couple of “What’s that?” He was actually looking quite hopeful. Professor McGonagall was frowning. The forest didn’t sound all that terrible for pony that was careful.

“There are Centaurs, however,” said the professor, calmly, “who would be displeased at your trespassing.”

Harry skipped a step and almost fell. “Centaurs?” he squeaked out. He stared at her, appalled and horrified. “Half-person, half horse, right?”

They all looked at him curiously.

“Yes. The Forest is officially their hunting grounds and they have full control of it. One of the reasons students are forbidden in it is because they are somewhat hostile towards wizards and witches.”

Maybe he wouldn’t be looking for the unicorns and thestrals.

“Do they have horns?” he asked fearfully.

His expression and question prompted her to ask, “No. Why, is something wrong?”

Harry gulped and strove to regain his mental balance. “Yes,” he said softly, and stared into the forest. “Equestria has had a very bad experience with a centaur named Tirek. He . . . caused much damage, he was responsible for the deaths of untold numbers of ponies.” His mouth was suddenly dry. “He stole everypony’s magic,” Harry whispered.

She sighed softly. “I assure you, Mr. Sparkle, the centaurs of the Forbidden Forest do not steal magic. In fact, they abhor magic. Their weapon of choice is the arrow, not stealing magic.” She smiled slightly, “They are far more interested in divining the mysteries of the future through the stars than stealing anyone’s magic.

Harry looked at her. The centaurs here might not steal the humans’ magic, but what about ponies’ magic? Tirek had been especially interested in pony magic, claiming it was much more powerful than that of centaurs or other races.

And that was true. None of the other races of Equus had nearly as much magic as ponies.

He looked down at the ground and pressed the tip of a hoof into it. Would they be interested in his magic?

He looked back up. “I will avoid the Forbidden Forest,” he said solemnly and sincerely — if he never saw a centaur again, it would still be too soon. His heartfelt commitment was clearly evident.

She sighed and glanced at the castle. “If only other students were as sincere as you.”

They continued their way to the castle.

The robes were an excellent idea, Harry decided. He wasn’t getting nearly the amount of attention he had when he was wearing only his armour. People watching them come up from Hogsmeade merely saw four students being escorted by Professor McGonagall. And were glad they were not in the group that was clearly in trouble, because, why else would they be escorted by her?

Once they were inside castle, Professor McGonagall said to Harry, “The Headmaster will want to meet with you after dinner, tonight. Why don’t you get acquainted with your dorm-mates until then?” She handed him his shrunken trunk and bags. “Just tap these with your wand to restore them.”

The four eagerly headed off to their Common Room.

Ron was going to be so surprised at the bag of things they had purchased for him from Gambol and Japes.

Harry’s robes were a bigger hit than he expected, based on how everyone ooh-ed and ahh-ed as they realized he had returned. Or maybe it was just that they got a better look at him and the robes just drove home he really was a student. The Common Room appeared much bigger now that it wasn’t crowded with people — most were probably outside or elsewhere in the castle. It gave him a chance to catch many details he had missed before, such as the portraits scattered around the walls, the decorative little lions carved into the woodwork, and the large rug bearing the House Shield — a rampant lion on a shield divided into quarters of red and gold, two above two, with a helmet atop and surrounded by red and gold feathers on a black background.

Still, the four managed to make it across the room and up the stairs without a too much of a fuss. Ron quickly concluded the chess game he was playing and followed them. Most students just stared at him. He heard several asking why he was upright, and a few explaining what they had been told at breakfast.

It didn’t take long for the four to pour out their new purchases on their beds, and toss a bag to Ron. Harry was surprised to see a pile of books as tall as he was beside his bed.

“Oy! What’s this?” Ron said, as he awkwardly caught the bag.

“We stopped by Gambol and Japes. Thought you might like a few additions to your stash,” Dean said.

Ron frowned. “You know I don’t take charity!” he stated.

Harry dropped his trunk on his bed. He turned and stared at Ron. “If I see something I think a friend would like, buy it, and then she refuses to take it, and calls it charity, then she can’t be much of a friend, can she?” Rarity was always gifting people.

The others looked at him. “As Rarity says, if someone gives you something because they want to, to refuse is rude and churlish. And ponies will think you aren’t much of a friend. Or that you actively dislike them.”

Ron looked back at him, startled. The others watched the interplay interestedly.

“So. Do you want to be friends, or not?” Harry stared at him levelly.

Ron blushed red, making his freckles stand out, then looked down and mumbled, “Thanks.” He headed over to his bed to examine what was in the bag.

Harry smiled. He hadn’t even had to threaten Ron . . . . Harry paused. Why would he need to threaten Ron? He shook his head. It didn’t matter.

۸-_-۸