• Published 9th Sep 2019
  • 12,780 Views, 2,412 Comments

The Triwizard Pony - tkepner



When he was nine, Harry became a unicorn when he fell through a portal into the Everfree Forest outside Ponyville. Now, the Goblet of Fire has hauled him back to Hogwarts, still as a unicorn. A unicorn taught by Twilight.

  • ...
75
 2,412
 12,780

Ch. 2 — Confrontation

Author's Note:

Hit 100 Likes! Thanks!
Here’s a chapter to celebrate!
Next goal, 200 Likes for early release of the next chapter!

Ch. 2 — Confrontation

Harry darted through the door and looked around the room. It was much smaller than the hall outside, although still much bigger than needed for the three people already in the room. Portraits and paintings lined the stone walls. Harry startled when he saw the faces in the paintings turn to look at him as he hovered. To his astonishment, he saw a wizened woman in a robe actually walk out of the frame of her portrait! She clearly looked at him while she walked into the painting beside hers! She started whispering to a women in a red dress just as another woman joined them from a third painting.

He dragged his gaze from the paintings to the teenagers who were grouped around a lit fireplace on the opposite wall. One, a boy in furs, was leaning against the mantelpiece, staring into the flames moodily. The second, in a black robe, was standing with his hands behind his back, rocking slightly on his feet, also staring into the fire. A girl in blue robes, with silvery hair, stood between the two. They turned and looked when Harry flew in.

The three stared at the black pegacorn hovering in the air before them. The boy by the mantelpiece grabbed for his pocket. Harry threw up a half-sphere shield and slid smoothly sideways into a corner, facing them. The light-blue glow was almost invisible in the light of the torches to either side of him.

He had several blasting spells at mind, should any stick start to point towards him. The Everfree had taught him to always be prepared for things to go to tartarus at the worst possible moment. And he planned to teleport to the previous room that was a handy and short distance away when it did. Then it would be back into the rafters for him. And then change to a breezie. At that size, they’d never find him. He couldn’t hold it for long, but maybe he could sneak out the front doors before then.

Or he could try phasing instead of teleporting through the roof. Maybe he would get it to work, this time. He had accomplished things in desperation in the Everfree Forest when he had been completely unable to do them at home, after all.

A man wearing long robes with thick horizontal stripes of bright yellow and black hurried in behind Harry. Dumbledore was talking to someone just outside the door, Harry saw. The newcomer had an enormous picture of a wasp splashed across his chest. His nose was squashed, but his round blue eyes, short blond hair, and rosy complexion made him look like an overgrown schoolboy. His slightly too-tight robes hinted at a powerful body gone to seed.

He stopped and stared at Harry. “Extraordinary,” he cried, and clapped his hands together. “Amazing, absolutely amazing! Gentlemen . . . lady,” he said as he moved toward the other three. “I’d like to introduce you to — unbelievable as it might appear — to the fourth Triwizard champion?” He waved an arm at Harry.

The three teens looked at him as if he were quite mad. They looked at Harry, and then back at the man, in disbelief. The silvery-haired girl shook her head, ruefully. She smiled. “Oh, Meester Bagman, that was a vairy funny joke,” she said somewhat disparagingly.

Huh. That was interesting. She spoke with an accent.

“ You think it is a Joke?” Bagman said surprised. “No, no, no, not at all! Harry Potter’s name did come out of the Goblet of Fire! And then,” he stopped and pointed dramatically at Harry, “he appeared in the hall.”

All three again looked at him as if he were mad, then at each other.

“Harry Potter? But this is a horse, a, a baby pegasus” declared the teen in the black robe. “This competition is for wizards and witches!”

“Hay!” said Harry, “I’m a pony, not a horse!” He frowned as he muttered, “And a pegacorn at the moment, not a pegasus.”

They looked at him, surprise evident in their expressions.

“Eet talks!” the girl said, astonished.

“I’m a he, not an eet!” Harry said testily, crossing his forelegs across his chest as he transitioned to a seated position in the air, and stared at them. He pulled his rear legs up as he hovered, using their greaves to add a bit more protection to his belly armour — and other things. He noticed that if he landed and stood on his hind legs, he would be only a head, maybe a head-and-a-half shorter than the three of them were.

The four just stared at him speechlessly.

Dumbledore stepped through the door Harry had used, followed by a large group of adults. First was a stiff, upright, elderly man, dressed in an impeccably crisp suit and tie. The one behind him was tall and thin like Dumbledore, but his white hair was short, and his goatee did not entirely hide his rather weak chin. Then there was an extremely big woman, easily half-again as tall as any of the men, with an olive-skinned face, large, black, liquid-looking eyes, and a rather beaky nose. Her hair was drawn back in a shining knob at the base of her neck. Last were the hook-nosed man and a rather severe-looking woman who was wearing square glasses. Harry could hear the noise of the hundreds of students before the second woman closed the door.

“Madame Maxime!” cried the girl, when she saw the tall woman. She strode over to her, outrage evident in every step. “Zey are saying zat zis . . . animal . . . is to compete also!”

The only woman among the newcomers straightened in indignation. She stood at her full, and rather surprising to Harry, height. She towered over the others by yard or more. Her head almost brushed the candle-filled chandelier in the middle of the ceiling, and her black-satin covered chest expanded impressively as she drew a breath in outrage.

What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-dorr?” she said demanded icily, and glared at the man angrily.

“I think I’d like to know that myself, Dumbledore,” interjected the man with the goatee. He stared, with a calculating look, at the other man.

Harry rolled his eyes. He stared at the girl. “Technically,” he said, snarkily, “we’re all animals.” He turned his gaze to Dumbledore. “Yes. Explain,” he ordered in a haughty tone. His lessons with Blueblood in court etiquette and how to deal with nobles were evident in his refined, authoritative tone. Plus, as Blueblood had stressed, if ponies thought you were important, they listened and treated you better. And if you didn’t have the servants or livery to get the point across, your attitude and what you said, and how you said it, had to do the job.

The boy in the black robe stared at Harry’s wings with a puzzled frown.

Dumbledore stroked his beard, and looked back at Harry. “This year, Hogwarts,” he waved an arm expansively, “this school, is hosting the Triwizard Tournament. The other two competitors are the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, headed by Headmistress Madame Olympe Maxime, and the Durmstrang Institute, headed by High Master Professor Igor Karkaroff.” The indicated individuals nodded their heads irritably.

Harry turned an expectant look at the others in the room.

“Ah, yes,” Dumbledore said. “This is Mr. Crouch, the Ministry’s Wizard in charge of the Triwizard Tournament.” He pointed to the nicely dressed elderly man.

“This is Professor McGonagall Deputy Headmistress of Hogwarts.” He nodded at the stern-looking woman. “This is Professor Snape, our Potions Master.” He nodded to the hook-nosed man.

“And these three are our competitors in the Triwizard Tournament,” he said swinging his arm to point at each. “Miss Delacour, of Beauxbatons; Mister Krum, from Durmstrang, and Hogwarts’ own, Mister Diggory.”

Harry nodded an acknowledgement of each person. “Pleased to make your acquaintances,” he said in as formal and polite a tone as he could manage. “My name is Prince Harry Potter Sparkle, of Equestria.” He hated to say his title because of the attention it invariably brought him. It was all so silly. But in this situation, he felt he needed every advantage he could seize.

After a moment’s silence, as they mulled this statement over with varied looks of surprise, suspicion, and scepticism, Dumbledore continued. “The Goblet of Fire is a very old and very powerful magical instrument,” he stated.

Harry’s stomach sank.

“We used it to select competitors from our respective schools.” The Headmaster continued, as he indicated the three teens with a gentle wave, “The candidates, of which there were at least a dozen from each school, dropped their names into the Goblet, yesterday and this morning. This evening, it selected the best candidate from each school to participate in the competition. The selection is based on a balance of magical prowess, knowledge, and skill.”

He paused to make sure Harry was following his explanation. He sighed.

“Being selected by the Goblet is an irreversible magical contract. Selected entrants must compete or lose their magic. That was why, this year, we limited participants to those of age, over seventeen.”

Harry facehoofed and sighed heavily. Of course. A magical artefact.

“How it managed to select you and draw you here? Someone must have dropped your name into the Goblet. That alone wouldn’t have been enough, though. They had to then cast a powerful confundus charm on this formidable magical object and convince it that there were four schools, not three. And with your name being the only entrant for that fourth school?” He spread his hands helplessly. “There could only be one outcome.”

“I must confess, however, I have never heard of the Goblet actually summoning a missing selected entrant.” He stroked his beard. “On the other hand, in the past, the entrants have always been present. I will have to investigate it thoroughly.” He nodded, muttering to himself, “Yes, a thorough investigation is needed.”

Harry hovered and thought. It made sense. Magical artefacts were always messing around with things in Equestria. A.K. Yearling’s stories as Daring Do Dazzle, showed that. Why should here be any different? And, naturally, any such object would be designed to cause the maximum amount of inconvenience. He shook his head resignedly.

He was here. He would have to compete. The only question was why was he here, in particular?

The fillies would be so upset at missing this.

“How do we know that this is really Harry Potter?” Professor Karkaroff said distrustfully. While he smiled, he had a slightly angry expression and his eyes were narrowed in suspicion.

Harry sighed. Loudly. “I am Harry Potter Sparkle. I was born Harry Potter, and adopted by Princess Twilight Sparkle,” he said in a bored snobbish tone. “I was brought here by your magical artefact that is convinced I am Harry Potter.” He paused and stared at the man, and raised an eyebrow. “What do you want me to do to prove that? Dig up my mother and father from their graves and ask them?”

There was a moment of gobsmacked silence.

“Well,” hesitantly hazarded the boy in the black robes still standing in front of the fire, “You certainly don’t look like Harry Potter.”

And there it was.

“How do you know what Harry Potter looks like? Because the Dursleys certainly didn’t take any pictures of me for you to see.”

“Er, well,” the boy looked at the others in the room, “According to the books, he looks like his father, but has his mother’s green eyes. He definitely doesn’t look like a small flying black pony with a horn and slit-eyes. Even if they are green.”

“Right,” Harry said softly and sarcastically. “Because every child always looks exactly like his parents, and brothers and sisters are all identical, aren’t they?” He snorted derisively. “And it’s impossible for someone to change their appearance with an illusion, or magic?”

He landed and looked up at everyone. He shook his head sadly. Stupid Wizards. Then he stood on his hind legs, and cast an illusion of himself, over his mum’s illusion, of what he remembered he looked like, five years ago.

“Merlin,” he heard someone whisper.

Whether it was in response to his illusion itself, or to his ability to cast such a good illusion, he wasn’t sure. It didn’t matter, anyway.

“Of course,” he said, somewhat smugly, “this doesn’t prove anything, does it? I could have gotten this from a picture, couldn’t I? Of course, that begs the question of where the picture came from, doesn’t it?”

He dismissed the illusion and resumed hovering. “For that matter, how do I know you’re really Albus Dumbledore?” He stared at the white-bearded man, then turned and looked at the big woman, “Or that you are Olympe Maxime? I have no proof you are, do I?”

“Or even that he,” he pointed at the scarred man who had just slipped in the door, “is Alastor? He could be an imposter. How would I know any different?”

Everyone turned and looked at the man.

Alastor stiffened, and fixed both eyes on Harry.

“I could be Nightmare Moon, or Mad King Sombra, for all you know.” He cast another illusion around himself, an illusion that stood on the floor and looked them all in the eyes. It was the mad king, with thick black mane, glowing red and green eyes, curved red horn, and long, sharp fangs. He had armour, a royal cape, crown, and a vile purple mist drifting from the corners of his eyes.

Harry let it dissipate to reveal a tall mare wearing a different crown, who had holes in her legs, horn, mane, and tail, with butterfly-like, but ragged wings. “Or I could be the Changeling Queen, Chrysalis,” he hissed at them in her two-tone voice. The image changed into a tall centaur with a grey-furred body, black torso, red arms, and twin curving horns. He stared down at them all imperiously, hands on hips. “Or, perhaps, even the magic stealing monster, Tirek,” his voice boomed disparagingly.

Everyone was staring at him in shock, and not a little horror.

He dismissed his illusion and revealed his mum’s Nightmare Moon illusion once more. Harry looked back and narrowed his eyes. “I really don’t care if you believe I am Harry Potter Sparkle,” he said in as refined and dismissive tone as he could manage. “The fact that remains, and all that matters, is that the goblet brought me here, right? I have to compete in this Triwizard Tournament foalishness, don’t I?” He looked over at the Headmaster. “And my school is Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns.”

The adults looked at each other. “I have a way to prove if he is or is not Harry Potter,” the Headmaster finally said, eyes twinkling. “Scriffy?” he said.

Harry almost tried to teleport out of the room when an odd little creature suddenly appeared beside Dumbledore.

“Scriffy be here,” said the creature. After a moment, Harry realized it looked a lot like a gremlin. It almost as tall as he was when he stood as a pony, with spindly arms and legs and oversized head and eyes. It had pointed, bat-like ears and a high, squeaky voice. Rather than conventional clothing, it was wearing what was clearly a pillowcase with the Hogwarts logo stitched into it.

“Would you bring me a Gringotts heredity parchment from my desk?”

“Scriffy will do!” declared the diminutive creature.

The Headmaster looked over at Harry who was watching the hook-nosed man and the scarred man very closely. “Sometimes we have students pretending to be others for their OWL and NEWT tests,” he explained. “When Scriffy returns, Harry, all you need to do is put a drop of blood on the parchment and it will immediately display the names of your parents.”

Harry gritted his teeth at the man’s assumed familiarity.

“Scriffy is back,” proclaimed the proud house-elf as he handed a small sheet of parchment to Dumbledore.

“Here, boy,” called the scarred man, who was leaning against the door to the hall. He dropped a knife on the floor and kicked it over to Harry.

Dumbledore nodded. “Thank you, Alastor,” he said as he stepped closer to Harry and held the paper out to him.

Harry took the parchment in his magic. He floated the knife up and carefully poked himself in the frog of his right hoof. He pressed the parchment against his hoof hard enough to smear blood on it. He just as carefully replaced the knife on the floor and slid it back to the scarred man. A quick healing spell took care of the cut, and took almost no magic.

He held the parchment up enough to see what it wrote, but didn’t take his eyes off the others in the room — ah, the advantages of a pony’s 270-degree vision! Slowly the smear of blood rearranged to read “Prince Harry James Potter Sparkle, son of Head of House James Potter (father) and wife Lily J. Potter (née Evans) (mother). Adopted son of Princess Twilight Sparkle.” He floated the parchment over to the Headmaster.

Dumbledore took it, smiled, and showed it first to Professor Karkaroff and then to Madame Maxime. “I believe this puts to rest any doubts as to this pony’s identity as Harry Potter?” Both grudgingly nodded. He handed the parchment to the severe looking woman. She glanced at it then showed it to the others.

After they had all had a look, Harry summoned it back.

“You needn’t worry about that,” Dumbledore said. “The parchment renders the blood magically inert. It can’t be used to harm you.”

Harry incinerated the parchment, anyway. These people hadn’t done anything, so far, for him to trust them. And he had a feeling he shouldn’t trust them.

“Well . . . it is extraordinary,” said Bagman. He smiled at Harry and rubbed his chin. “And the goblet did select and give us his name,” He nodded, as if doing so confirmed the fact. “I mean, there’s no ducking out at this stage, I don’t believe. He frowned and shook his head. He pursed his lips momentarily. “It’s in the rules, you know, once you’re selected, you have to participate.” He sighed. “Harry will just have to do the best he can. Regardless of how he looks.” He shrugged apologetically. The fact that he seemed excited and happy about the issue, almost bouncing on his feet, showed the hollowness of his apology.

For several moments there was silence.

He rubbed his hands together and smiled. “Well,” he said, “Time to give our champions their instructions, right?” He looked over at the elderly man. “Barty?”

Mr. Crouch looked back at him for a moment. “Yes,” he said, “Yes . . . the first task . . .” He moved over to stand by the three teenagers. Harry moved out of the corner to the mantelpiece’s edge.

Up close, Harry thought the man looked ill. Dark shadows hung beneath his eyes and his wrinkled skin had a thin, papery look to it.

Mr. Crouch cleared his throat. “The first task is designed to test your daring and courage in the face of the unknown,” he told Harry, Diggory, Delacour, and Krum. “It will take place on November the twenty-fourth. It will be in front of the other students and the panel of judges.” He paused and frowned. “There might be a bit of a problem there.” He glanced at Harry. “He has no judge present for his school,” the man said to the others. He furrowed his brow, thinking. “We’ll have a solution before then.”

The rest of the rules were simple. None of the schools’ professors could help their competitors with any of the tasks in the tournament. They would be allowed to begin the first task only with their wands. Information or clues about the other tasks would be made available after the previous had been completed. Because of the demanding and time-consuming nature of the tournament, the “champions” were exempt from end-of-year tests.

And, Harry was dismayed to hear, the tournament would last for the next eight months. His mum was not going to like that! It would be a severe blow to his schooling at Celestia’s school. Not to mention how mad she would be at them snatching him, and then keeping him here, incommunicado.

“That’s all, isn’t it, Albus?” Mr. Crouch finished.

Dumbledore nodded sagely, but was looking at Mr. Crouch with mild concern. “Perhaps you should stay at Hogwarts tonight, Barty?” he suggested.

“No, No,” Mr. Crouch demurred. “It is a very busy, very difficult time at the moment. I’ve left young Weatherby in charge . . . . a bit over enthusiastic, he is.” The man looked at Harry. “Hm. Perhaps that would work,” he muttered

“Possibly a drink before you go?” Dumbledore prompted gently.

“Oh, come on, Barty,” Bagman said encouragingly. “I’m going to stay!” he continued brightly. “There are guest apartments, you know, and everything is happening at Hogwarts, now! It’s so much more exciting here than at the Ministry office!” He made a motion as if to nudge the other man, “It’ll be just like old times,” he said nostalgically.

“No, I don’t think so, Ludo,” said Crouch. “There’s so much to do at the office.” He looked at Harry speculatively.

Crouch started for the door. Professor Karkaroff and Madame Maxime quickly ushered their champions out of the room. Alastor — Harry still didn’t know his last name — left with a gruff, “Lesson plans.”

Dumbledore looked at Harry. “Well,” he said quietly, “Let’s go to my office and we’ll arrange where you’ll stay.”

Flying with the Headmaster, Professors Snape and McGonagall, and Bagman as they walked through the castle was an eye-opener. Unlike his mum’s castle, or the Canterlot castle, this one was dark and gloomy, despite the numerous torches lining the corridors, and made from grey stone instead of white marble or crystal. The paintings and portraits really did move, as Dumbledore had confirmed. “They are mere shadows of the people in them — memories of what the owners placed in them when they were created. They aren’t really alive, in any sense, they have no souls.” He had said. “But they offer excellent insights into how people thought and lived back when they were created. The ones of previous Headmasters and Headmistresses have been quite insightful when I need counsel.”

The appearance of the ghosts had almost sent him fleeing down the corridor. He had read about them, of course, but nothing like ghosts existed in Equestria — though stories persisted.

Harry shuddered.

The Headmaster kept up a running commentary as they walked. The castle was a thousand years old.

Isn’t everything? Harry thought. If it was a long time ago, it is always a thousand years ago, isn’t it?

Anyway, there were four founders — two wizards and two witches.

“Hm?” said Dumbledore. “Ah yes, we call ourselves wizards and witches because we can use wands to manipulate magic. Then there are squibs, they have a bit of magic, but not enough to use a wand. Of course, there are those who can’t use magic at all. We call them muggles.”

Harry mulled that over for a moment. “Like the Dursleys?”

“Yes! Quite like the Dursleys.” He glanced at Bagman. “Only Harry Potter would know that Lily Potter’s married sister was Petunia Dursley.” He paused a second. “There are quite a bit more muggles than wizards and witches, though,” he continued to Harry, “and they are highly suspicious of magic users, so we have to remain hidden. That’s why you never heard of or met any wizards or witches while you stayed with your relatives.”

That set off all kinds of alarms in Harry’s mind. This wizard knew him, knew him well enough to recognize even his relatives! And the other wizards and witches had recognized his name. Plus, when he had lived with the Dursleys, there had been those oddly dressed people who seemed to recognize him, he remembered. They had waved, smiled, and one had even come up and shaken his hand. Total strangers. Which his aunt had never believed him when he said so. It invariably led to a severe punishment.

Why? Why was he soo well known? He eyed the Headmaster suspiciously, and tried to stiffen his magic shield.

The Headmaster seemed to ignore his reaction, or he didn’t recognize it. Instead he continued his ramblings about the castle, the four houses, and the subjects taught. Harry also learned that while there were some children who were home-schooled, almost every English wizard and witch attended Hogwarts from age eleven until seventeen. Usually, that meant there were about a thousand students at any given time. Unfortunately, attendance had been falling for the last four years because of a terrible war ten years before, led by a Lord Voldemort, who was presumed dead by most, but not by Dumbledore.

They stopped in front of a gargoyle in a cross-corridor.

Harry only twitched a tiny bit as the gargoyle slid to one side in response to the Headmaster saying Ginger Snaps. He followed the wizard up the stairs. Having the other three behind him made his back itch, but they waved for him go first.

At the top of the stairs was a large and beautiful circular room, the lower walls covered in bookcases. Above the bookcases were portraits of old wizards and witches — all of whom appeared to be sleeping! Scattered around were spindle-legged tables with silver instruments whirring and emitting little puffs of smoke. Opposite the door was a massive, claw-footed desk with two armchairs in front of it. Behind it, sitting on a shelf in a place of honour, and surrounded by paintings, was a shabby, tainted, conical hat. It was patched, frayed, and extremely dirty. Rarity would have been horrified to see that hat, much less have it in her home. If she had to keep it, it would have been cleaned and festooned with ribbons and bows!

To one side, near windows that looked outside into the night, were a couch, table, and chairs.

Harry studied the windows for a moment. He had an escape, at last, if he needed a way out. An easy teleport to the outside world. Or he could do a reverse DashCrashTM.

Dumbledore made his way behind the desk and removed the hat from its shelf.

He gestured at the armchairs. “Please, Harry, be seated.” He nodded at the wizards and witch behind Harry, and waved his stick, which he had explained was a wand. An additional chair appeared in front of his desk, the first two chairs didn’t even have to move to make room. Professor McGonagall seated herself in one chair, Bagman took the middle chair, while the hook-nosed Professor Snape merely stood to one side and watched Harry closely.

“My name is Harry Potter Sparkle,” the pony said aloofly, with a mild glare. “Only my friends may call me Harry.” He cautiously approached the other chair, fortunately the one closest to the windows, and turned it to face the other three. He landed on the seat. He sat, butt-down, with his forelegs holding him upright. He stared at the Headmaster. It was a bit uncomfortable sitting that way on the cardboard armour, but it put him at head-height for the wizards and witch.

The witch was staring at him in disapproval. Professor Snape’s expression was blank, and the other wizard coughed and tried to hide a smile behind his hand.

Harry noticed several of the portraits were now awake and taking interest in the room.

“Before we do anything,” he said in what he hoped was a regal manner, “tell me why you all know who I am. And why someone would want to place my name in that goblet.”

The story he was told left him shocked to his core.

He had always thought his parents had died in a car crash.

That an evil wizard had killed them while trying to take over the wizarding world left him speechless. That the wizard had then been destroyed trying to kill Harry was preposterous. That the people of the wizarding world somehow thought he was their saviour was unbelievable — he was barely fifteen months old at the time!

And he had thought ponies jumped to irrational conclusions!

If it weren’t for the grim expressions, and nodding agreement, on the other three adults, he would have thought this merely a very tasteless joke. He could only shake his head in disbelief.

“No doubt,” Dumbledore continued, “Voldemort’s followers, many of whom are still free, hold you responsible for the disappearance of their master. Placing your name in the Goblet of Fire might have been an attempt to kill you from a distance. They must have thought that when you failed to show up for the first task, the Goblet would consider you in violation of the magical contract and remove your magic. The abrupt removal of your magic would probably kill you, giving them their revenge.” He sadly shook his head, then smiled gently. “Fortunately, the Goblet summoned you immediately, instead. No one suspected that possibility.”

Wonderful, Harry thought bitterly. He was in an unfamiliar world, he had no way to contact his mum, he had to take part in this ridiculous tournament, and he was a hero to the stupid wizards. Oh, yeah, and a small group wanted him dead.

How could this possibly get any worse?

۸- ̰ -۸