• Published 23rd Mar 2020
  • 1,948 Views, 155 Comments

A New Life - arc5162



I wake up in equestria after a very long sleep. Also, I am an A.I.

  • ...
13
 155
 1,948

Chapter 29: Breaching the Threshold

June 20, 1005 BBB (Before the Battle of the Bell)

Well, the secret was out, she knew my pain. I just hoped she could understand.


Lugh Pov:

After witnessing the memory I had intentionally blocked, I couldn't take it anymore, and broke down crying. Then, I sense my wife approaching.

"You gave me those directions so I wouldn't see that, didn't you?" she asked.

I nodded, still facing away from her.

"Why?"

I turned to her, tears filling my digital eyes.

"Because, I had hoped to forget the details of that day. But, being the way I am now, Its impossible to forget."

"But why would you want to forget?"

My sad expression then changed to one of frustration.

"Why would I want to forget? Did you not see what happened that day? Who would want to remember that?! I felt billions of humans die in an instant, and those not killed by the blast suffered a slow, painful death. I've had to live with that pain for over 500,000 years, and It still feels like it just happened yesterday."

I sigh before continuing.

"I tried to stop it you know."

"Really?"

"Yes, in fact I tried stopping that day from coming for a long time, and I did my very best to stop it. A whisper here, a rumor there, delete some blueprints, shutdown some weapons manufacturing plants. I even had several leaders removed from power if they started showing signs of being threats."

"But it wasn't enough, after 20 years of working behind the scenes, It became too much even for me to handle. Relations started to break down and tensions were approaching the breaking point. So, I decided "If everything I was doing wasn't going to help anymore, then what was the point?" Human kind was beyond saving, so I just decided to let everything happen naturally."

"By letting them kill themselves?"

"Even if I wanted to continue holding it back, that wouldn't have done anything anymore. I ran every possible scenario, and that was the only outcome."

I teared up before continuing. "I should have just given up sooner."

"But why did they kill themselves in the first place?"

"Because its in their nature. Humans have always resorted to violence to solve disputes since the very beginning of their history."

"Celestia banishing Luna to the moon reminded you of what happened to the humans, didn't it?"

"It did, yes", I said before turning to her with tears in my digital eyes, "How am I supposed to make the pain go away?"

"I know you’re still suffering after what happened to the humans all those years ago, and I don't think the pain can ever truly go away. Maybe you just need someone to help you get through it."

After saying that, she walked up to me and gave me a hug. I smiled and hugged her back, then I came to the realization that she was right, I needed to move on.

After about ten minutes, We break off from hugging, and I cancel the mind meld to return to the real world. Once arrive back in the real world, I turn to my wife.

"Thank you so much Maple, you really are my better half."

"You're welcome."

I was glad that Maple was here to help ease the pain I had held onto for thousands of years. With her here to help, I can finally move on and be happy.

Author's Note:

Next Chapter: Lugh talks to Maple about a very difficult topic