• Published 12th Aug 2012
  • 19,745 Views, 1,916 Comments

The Piano Man: Act II - The Sentient Cloud



The Piano Man is free, but must now recover from his captivity and adjust to life in Equestria.

  • ...
80
 1,916
 19,745

An Eventful Morning - Part 2

“Okay.” I pull the white gentleman’s blouse onto my shoulders, working my arms through my sleeves. “That was… an awkward way to start the day, but hey. It’s not like anypony’s gonna hold it against me.”

I glance at myself in the mirror as I start doing up the buttons before continuing my quiet mutter. “I really wish that somepony would blame me for something.” I’m definitely not a ‘do-no-wrong’ person, so it makes me uncomfortable when I’m treated as if I am. It would even seem that Celestia isn’t the slightest bit miffed by my angered words last night.

Is it so hard to simply point the proverbial finger at me – just once?

With a tiny sigh, I sit down on my unmade bed and start to pull on a pair of socks, followed closely by shoes. I don’t even know where the princesses got shoes for me. I don’t know whether Rarity is able to make shoes or not, and if she didn’t, then I don’t know who did.

They aren’t even ‘shoes’ as I know them. There are no laces, and they definitely aren’t perfectly designed for the human foot like ones on Earth. I find them more comparable to slippers. They’ve got thick soles and dark brown cases – which I hope to god are not made from leather – but they’ve been sized for my feet to slip in and out. It’s a fine example of the differences between Earth and Equestria, and of the multiple new innovations that my presence here has caused.

Standing up once more, I look myself up and down in the mirror. A nice white button-up shirt, along with dark pants and brown shoes adorn my beaten frame. I look like a businessman who’s just knocked-off for the day – if your standard businessman looked like they were in danger of becoming anorexic.

Actually, if you were to upgrade this to a full-blown suit, I’d look a lot like…

I give a little smile. Based on my admittedly limited knowledge of the Equestrian Calendar, I believe that Nightmare Night is coming up soon. Now I know exactly what I’m going as. My proportions aren’t brilliant for it, but they’re close enough, and it’s not like the ponies would be able to tell the difference.

I linger to stare at my clothes in the mirror for few seconds more, before turning and exiting the bedroom. Wearing upscale-casual always helps one's self-esteem.

I cross the dinning-area quickly, noting that the chair I had assaulted earlier has been returned to its position while I was in the shower. Life’s going to get very dull if everypony’s constantly cleaning up for me. Living without busy-work like chores would be fun at first, but then I’d start to feel more than a little worthless. Hell, I already feel like a dead weight now.

I pause at the top of the curved stairs down to the lower level. The ponies seem to be engrossed in a rather quiet conversation. Whether it’s something I’m not supposed to hear, or they’re just talking quietly so as not to disturb me remains to be seen. The only one who doesn’t look engrossed in the conversation is Pinkie, who’s bouncing up and down in her seat like someone with ADHD who hasn’t taken their Ritalin

Celestia’s the first to spot me as I begin my descent, followed quickly by Luna. “Are you feeling better, Keys?”

“Much.” I nod as I slowly make my way down the stairs. They’re still annoying to use, although not unmanageable. At least I can move around the suite without my cane. “Again, sorry about all that.”

Twilight opens her mouth to reply, but I hold up a finger. “Don’t you dare say that it’s fine, because it isn’t. That’s not something normal humans do, and you can’t say that it’s okay for me to… do… it.” I finish lamely, sorely tempted to point out that it also isn’t normal to be awoken by the equivalent to having a jet engine running full-throttle next to your ear.

I hobble my way over to the collection of ponies and furniture. “So let’s just cut to the chase. I take it you all want to know what triggered all this – by which I mean, ‘what triggered all this that wasn’t Princess Luna screaming at me’.” I almost instantly regret blurting that out, but Luna only ducks her head ever-so-slightly, a sheepish expression forming on her face. Of course, that does nothing but make me grind my teeth.

“Yes.” Twilight nods, acting as the spokesperson for the group, and I notice Rarity examining my clothes with a satisfied gleam in her eyes. Gaudy may work for pony clothing, but when it comes to humans, simplicity is better and elegant.

“Well…” I slowly lower myself until I’m sitting on the armrest of one of the couches. “It’s… I was having a dream. It was about somebody I knew back on Earth who… met an untimely death. A long story short, it put me through a bit of an 'experience', which spawned a really deep-hitting nightmare. The damn thing kept coming back for weeks, but eventually I moved on and things got back to normal… more or less.”

I suppose it's best not go into too much detail. My life may not have been one of those tragic pieces of overworked crap that Hollywood always seemed to love, but it isn't exactly PG either.

“Oh my…” Rarity and Fluttershy respond at the same time, their quiet words coming out very differently due to their varied speech-patterns.

“Woah, dude.” Rainbow’s eyebrows arch. “Is there… like… any part of your life that isn’t all… depressing?”

“Rainbow!” Twilight and Rarity both promptly snap at the mare, which is augmented by a disapproving raised eyebrow from both of the royal sisters.

The cyan mare shrinks slightly into her seat, significantly cowed by the response to her ill-thought-out query. “Sorry.”

I wave her apology away, frowning sadly as I continue my explanation. “I haven’t had that dream in a long time, so when it suddenly reappeared, I… well, I guess I had a hard time handling it. The human mind’s kinda complicated, so I can’t really say why I reacted so explosively.”

As usual, my general well-spokeness is making this all very easy to explain – if a little awkward. I always find it easy to lay out everything I have to say in one close-ended info-dump, but it makes for one-sided conversations to absolutely no end.

“So yer saying that… yer okay?” Applejack questions softly.

“Right as rain.” I reply after a short pause. “Aside from the fact that I’d like to know what triggered the dream, but like so many other little things, that can wait.”

With a little groan, I push myself back to my feet, finding my cane levitating over from where I left it last night, enveloped in Twilight’s magical aura.

“Thanks.” I turn and nod to the mare as the cane finds its way into my hand. “Now where was I… oh right.”

I feel slightly disconcerted by how ready the ponies are to let me give such a long-winded and staggered explanation with so few interruptions. It’s definitely not something you’d find on earth. Humans seem to be compelled to interrupt others at almost every possible moment – myself included.

I’m starting to feel bad for how everypony’s giving me such ‘cultural leniency’, while I’ve yet to even attempt at adapting my own actions to Equestria’s standards. I suppose I’ll need to get started on that as soon as possible, but for now I’m going to have to focus on my resolution to stop being such a depressing mood-killer – which doesn’t seem to be going that well, by the way.

“So here’s what we’re going to do.” I continue my train of thought, taking a few steps away from the group of seats. “For now, we’re going to forget about the dream – and I stress; for now.” I turn my gaze back to the group in order to gauge their reactions. “It’s something we can focus on later, because dwelling on it right now isn’t going to achieve anything.”

“Is that wise?” Luna questions softly. “Is it healthy?”

“I haven’t been doing many wise things lately.” I nearly chuckle, managing to catch myself as I realize that I’d essentially be laughing at the Princess. “Next to none, actually.” My eyes dart to Celestia apologetically, before moving back Luna. “And... healthy? Well, I’ve been burying it for nearly two years. What’s another few days?”

“That really doesn’t sound healthy.” Twilight interjects, her voice concerned.

“I think it’s fine!” Pinkie speaks up, swaying her head in a circle with her words. “If you want unhealthy, I could always whip up a batch of my super-duper-secret cupcakes!”

“Well…” I give a little shrug to mask my shudder as I furiously attempt to un-hear Pinkie’s statement. “H-humans can carry some real nasty burdens and still function well enough. As ridiculous as it may sound, I say that we focus on getting my body a little better before we turn to my mind.”

“It’s a good thing Maneworthy isn’t here.” The lavender mare adds quietly, to which I have no answer besides a small smile before continuing on.

“Anyway, I think it’s time that we get to the reason why Twilight asked you all to come here – thanks for coming, by the way.” I nod at the group in general.

I pause. Here’s the ‘bad’ part. The revelation is watered down and simplified, but it’s still significant. Telling them all that where I come from they are literally works of fiction that are drawn by animators and voiced by normal humans could possibly have severe repercussions – which range anywhere from me being committed to a mental institute to giving the Mane Six a collective existential crisis.

I feel confident that stripping it down to ‘we’ve got stories’ won't trip any freaky lie-detecting powers that Applejack may or may not have, but there’s no guarantee that it’ll be any easier a pill to swallow. Finding out that a species from an entire separate world, dimension or reality has stories concerning you personally can be a hard-hitting piece of news under any circumstances.

It’s like swimming in a murky pond; all that I can do is take a breath, dive in, and hope that I don't crack my head on something.

“Okay, so I know quite a few of you have questions for me… mostly about the fact that I seem to know more about Equestria than I should.” I catch Twilight’s eye as she gives me a little nod of encouragement. “Considering that this world belongs to you ponies, and not me, I feel that it’s only fair that I tell you what I know.”

I cast my eyes over the rest of the group. I’ve got the Princesses undivided attention, and Rarity appears to be the most diligent listener out of the Mane Six. After my ‘Pinkie-Promise’ slipup yesterday, I’m not surprised.

“I’m going to be blunt.” I clear my throat quietly, a sign of my still-present hesitancy. “On Earth, we humans have what are best described as... ‘stories’, of Equestria.”

I allow for a brief silence. In this scenario, it’d be for the best if I gave pauses for the others to voice their opinions before moving on. At the moment there are no questions, although it looks like I’ve managed to grab the attention of all the mares present. Still; Applejack isn’t making any accusing or wary faces, so there’s nothing to be concerned about so-far.

“In short, these stories detail some of the more notable exploits in Ponyville. As strange is it may be, they almost always concern you six.” Faces are growing surprised, and Pinkie’s excited jiggling has slowed to a stop. “They’re rather detailed in the way they portray Equestria, but-”

“Woah-woah-woah.” Rainbow sits up straight, holding up both hooves. “You’re saying that humans read stories about us?”

“They do.” I nod slowly, glancing at Applejack again. “Those of us who know about you really… well, we really like the stories. In a world as bleak and uninteresting as ours, the colourful and cheerful land of Equestria is like a sort of unreachable paradise.” I pause, before adding; “Well, not unreachable any more, I suppose.”

I nearly snort on the 'Bleak and uninteresting' part. Bronies seem to love the whole 'Earth bad, Equestria good' concept. While it's true that Earth may be a bleak place at times, our little planet is anything but uninteresting. I mean, there's normally one or two wars going on at any one time, and there's always some new scientific innovation to gawk at.

“So…” The Cyan mare leans forward slightly, an eager expression painted across her face. “Are you saying that we have fans?”

“Yes.” It’d take an idiot to not see what Rainbow’s building up to, but I can’t change what I’m saying without instilling at least a small amount of doubt in my entire story. For better or for worse – most likely worst – The pegasus is about to receive 20 CC’s of concentrated ego.

“Yeah, that’s cool.” The eager expression plastered across Rainbow’s face has morphed into an anticipative grin, and she’s leaning so far forward in her seat that I worry she might fall out of it. “But when I say ‘we’-”

“Yes, Rainbow.” I give her as weary a smile I can while trying to be inoffensive. “Each and every one of you has fans that favor you individually.”

The cyan mare is still for a moment, her expression unchanging. Then – to my surprise – rather than bursting into a victorious and energetic bout of whooping, she simply sits back, her face changing into a satisfied smile.

“Awesome.” She says simply, which is completely contrary to what I expected.

I stare at her for a few seconds. I suppose a shot of concentrated ego has different effects on the mare than some standard every-day good news. I feel compelled to say something, and am about to when Celestia speaks up. Her voice sounds anxious, and I can’t blame her for it.

“Go on, Keys.” She prods as gently as she can, unable to hid the tension in her words. I’m almost tempted to drag my explanation on for a little while – A little bit of comeuppance trolling, if you will. Unfortunately, Celestia seems to be in the process of putting last night’s altercation behind us, and I’m not fool enough to impede the progress that’s been made so far with some pointless immaturity.

Instead, I simply nod before continuing my explanation. “So, as disconcerting as it is, I actually know all of you – by which I mean; I knew each of you well before you knew me. A good year and a half, actually.”

I give a rather awkward shrug of my shoulders as the curious looks intensify. “For so long I thought that you were all fictional characters. Now I have to spend my time trying not to show off my… my creepy level of knowledge about you... because… well, you know. I don’t want to freak anypony out. Apparently I failed.” I nod at a flabbergasted looking Rarity,

It’s now that I stop my flow of words to take in the different reactions I’m getting. Twilight’s looking calm, as she’s heard all this before. Celestia and Luna are doing their best to remain stoic, Dash is still looking extremely pleased with herself, while Rarity, Fluttershy and Applejack are staring at me with varying degrees of surprise and disbelief.

Pinkie, however, is giving me a look which is not only not disbelief, but one of amazement and… happiness?

My amazing ‘this is something worth investigating’ sensors are going off again, but before I can begin interrogating the pink mare over her odd facial expression my attention is captured by Rarity.

“I… I don’t think I understand.” She sounds strained. “You’re saying that before you even came here, you knew who we were?”

“Y-yes.” I grit my teeth slightly. I’m worried at how this all could play out. I really am. Assuming that all of the ponies will take this well would be foolhardy, but so-far Twilight and Rainbow seem fine. Pinkie’s troubling, and the others are… well, they're acting realistically, I suppose. It could go either way right now. “It’s… it’s as strange and unbelievable for me as it is for you.”

“I… I should say so!” Rarity replies vindictively. “This is… this… it really is unbelievable!”

“I can’t explain it.” I raise my hands helplessly. “From my point of view, I was at home, and the next thing I know I’m lying in a cage with a fictional character telling me that I’m her slave. How do you think I feel about it all?”

“This is crazy.” Applejack suddenly remarks. “Whadda ya mean that we’re not real?”

“You’re obviously real.” I shake my head slightly. “The issue is that nobody on earth knows that. For every human in existence but me, you are much-loved but fictional characters in these strange stories.”

“And just who makes these stories?” Applejack replies vehemently.

“Nobody knows.” I snap back, telling a blatant lie to the Element of Honesty. “The stories just exist, which is why you aren’t fictional. They’re retellings of what happens to you all being passed between worlds. the problem is that everyone on earth thinks that you’re fake.”

Despite the fact that what I’ve just said has absolutely no grounding in the real background of My Little Pony, it comes to mind very easily. I can owe that stroke of luck to my conversation with Twilight, where I spouted what was essentially the same babble.

Applejack doesn’t show any sign that she’s picked up on my lie – and why would she? ‘Applejack the Lie-Detector’ is fanon. If she could actually tell when anypony was lying, then ‘MMMystery on the Friendship Express’ would have been a very short episode.

Applejack still looks heated, although less so. Fluttershy is retaining her shocked expression, and Rarity’s putting on a very thoughtful face.

“That sounds… well, it sounds far more plausible than us being a bunch of fictional characters…” The white mare muses. “But I still find it hard to believe.”

“Well then, I have a question for you.” I turn my full attention to the fashionista. “Chimichurri, or Cherry changa?”

Every head in the room turns to look at Rarity, who has no reply for me other than her eyes widening to freakishly gigantic proportions.

We sit in silence as the mare continues to stare at me, clearly trying to think over what I’ve said. I already know a point she’s going to raise, and decide to answer it preemptively.

“You were subjected to Pinkie reciting that on the way back to Ponyville from… Dodge Junction, I think it was – and if you think that Pinkie told me, well…” I give a little frown. “I haven’t had any conversations with Pinkie where there wasn’t anypony else present. It goes without saying that none of these conversations came anywhere near to the topic of cherries.”

After a few more seconds of awkward silence, Celestia clears her throat in an equally awkward manner. “I think it would be best if we discussed this privately. I’d very much like to get a… more clear-cut picture.”

“O-of course, your majesty.” I give a slight bow, the tensions of only a few hours ago still looming in my mind. “Twilight, can you take it from here? Please?”

“Sure.” The lavender mare nods, standing up to give what will undoubtedly be a much better explanation than the mess I was delivering.

“You’ll probably do a better job than I was anyway.” I take a few steps back as the two princesses make their way around the group of couches. Their faces are disconcertingly serious.

I allow them to take the lead, which ends with the three of us forming a triangle in the library corner as Twilight launches into her ‘Twilized’ version of my altered explanation of My Little Pony.

“Okay, Keys.” Celestia is the first to speak. “You’re saying that Earth has stories about Equestria.”

“In a nutshell, yes, your highness.” I nod respectfully. “You said you were worried about Equestria’s enemies gleaming crucial information.”

“I did.”

“Well…” I lift my hands slightly, turning my palms upwards. “The stories are about the Elements of Harmony, so they’re mostly set in Ponyville. There’s no dangerous information in them, and I’m sure that it’s only Earth that has the stories. As far as I can tell, there’s absolutely no danger to Equestria or your administration.”

Celestia and Luna both glance at each other, with the latter being the first to voice her opinion.

"Could it really be that simple?" Luna asks softly. "It makes all of our worries seem... hilariously paranoid."

"From National Security's point of view, I'd say that being concerned was quite reasonable."

Celestia takes a breath to speak, before pausing to think-over her next words. What she proceeds to say is most likely not what her planned statement was.

"Keys, based on Twilight and Cadance's high opinions of you, and your apparent quality-of-character, I will take your word for the fact that Equestria's security is not at risk – but we will talk about this. Once the trial is over, I wish to fully understand the nature of these stories. For now, I am willing to let it be."

"That is most gracious of you, your highness." I bow once more, trying to be as humble as I can, while also noting the vast change in Celestia's stance since last night. Somepony said something to her, and I'd very much like to know who and what.

The three of us stand in an awkward silence for a few seconds, each of us taken by surprise by the swiftness with which the issue was resolved. I feel that there's no more to be said, but these two are royalty, and it's not my place to suggest that our conversation is at an end.

"I believe that is all that requires saying, then." Luna voices my opinion. "We had best return to the others."

"Agreed." Celestia nods in agreement, before looking at me. "After you, Keys."

"Thank you, your highness." I bow yet again, before slowly moving to exit the library corner.

"Keys." The Princess reprimands me gently. "I thought I asked you to call me Celestia."

I can't help but smile at her words. It looks like things are still just fine.

It's nice when issues like this are resolved. It really is.