• Published 12th Aug 2012
  • 19,733 Views, 1,916 Comments

The Piano Man: Act II - The Sentient Cloud



The Piano Man is free, but must now recover from his captivity and adjust to life in Equestria.

  • ...
80
 1,916
 19,733

Preparations

I've never been a real 'morning person'. Rarely have I ever woken up feeling refreshed, no matter how long I've slept - although on the bright side, it's only half-the-time that I wake up feeling totally ruined, which is better than most people I know.

Sadly, it seems that today will not be starting well.

Waking up and not feeling worn-out is a pretty good feeling. It's wholesome, and leaves me 'satisfied', for lack of a better word. It's like I've done something right during my rest that's allowed me to actually have a restful sleep.

Unfortunately It seems that I apparently didn't fulfill this enigmatic requirement last night, and it's for that reason that I forget that I'm not in a bed, and oafishly roll right onto the floor.

"Ugh," I grunt as I land on my side, immediately cursing my own forgetfulness. "Damn."

Still feeling a little drowsy, I pick myself up off the floor and turn around, trying to get my bearings. This sort of thing seems to be happening far too often lately.

The clock on the wall informs me that it's just past seven in the morning, a claim which is backed up by the bright early-morning sunlight flooding in through the wall-to-ceiling windows my lovely suite boasts. Twilight's still fast asleep on her own couch, which doesn't surprise me. The lavender mare was so exhausted last night, I wouldn't be surprised if she slept through to midday. After all her hard work, I think she's earned the break.

"Ehh..." I sigh slowly, before turning and tossing my blanket back on the bed. "I need a drink."

On those words, I shuffle away from the center of the lounge and into the kitchen, looking for the teabags. Tea doesn't carry the same kick as coffee, but I like the taste a lot better.

After a considerable amount of rummaging I manage to find what I'm looking for, pull out two mugs with freakishly large hoof-sized handles, and start boiling the jug. Twilight probably isn't getting up any time soon, but if she is then I don't want to be the only one enjoying a hot drink.

A few minutes later I have two mugs of hot - but admittedly bland - tea, both of which I carry back to the lounge, humming quietly to myself.

I deposit Twilight's drink on the coffee table and proceed to move out onto my suite's balcony, still humming quietly to myself. It'll be nice to have some early-morning quiet before the day gets busy... and my guess is that it is going to get busy. We probably have a lot preparation to do before the trial.

I sigh quietly, abruptly ending my tuneless humming. I'll be seeing Trixie again tomorrow, and that's not going to be easy. It's not like I'm angry about anything at the moment, but when I'm seeing her, there's no way that I'm not going to feel anything - not after what she did.

What's going to happen tomorrow, anyway? I still have no idea how the Equestrian legal system functions. My only hint so far is that the investigation only took a week... and that's not much of a hint. How big will the jury be? How long will it take?

"You made me tea?" The sudden question from a now-awake Twilight question knives through my head, decimating my thoughts instantly as I jump in surprise and turn to face her.

"Sorry!" the mare apologizes quickly. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"It's fine," I reply, recovering quickly. "I, uh, didn't think you'd be up for another few hours. You were pretty wrecked last night."

"I've never been able to sleep in," Twilight responds in turn, taking a sip of her tea and moving up to stand next to me. "Thanks, by the way."

"Eh. It isn't very good tea." I deny her thanks. "I couldn't find the sugar, and I didn't leave the teabags in long enough." I glance down at the mare's still tired eyes. Of course she couldn't sleep in. Why on earth would she want to be well-rested?

The problem is; if Twilight keeps getting as little sleep as she's been getting our nightly conversations are going to continue to involve me doing all the talking, her acting odd, and will keep ending with Twilight sleeping on my couch.

That reminds me; Twilight really was acting 'off' last night, and it was a different kind of 'off' than it would have been if she'd just been tired. I'm not entirely sure how to peg it, actually. Maybe she really was just so exhausted that she wasn't acting like herself.

"So... I guess we should get breakfast," Twilight pipes up, interrupting my reflection.

"Yeah, and showers." I nod, brushing aside my thoughts for future consideration. "I don't want to spend all of today smelling like yesterday."

Twilight gives a slight smile at my half-assed joke, and then turns away. "In that case, I think you should have your shower now, and I'll run down to the kitchens and pick up breakfast."

"Sounds like a plan." I chirp unnecessarily, also turning my back on the vista from my balcony. "And let's hustle. We've got a hell of a lot to do today."

***

The suite is a complete mess.

Seriously. It's a total sty. Twilight has laid out what could be hundreds of papers in the center of the lounge, Rarity's taken up both my room and the upstairs dining area with her sewing equipment in order to produce the "most absolutely perfect suit for the public eye", and Pinkie Pie's completely trashed the kitchen as she and Applejack bake treats for the after-trial party (Because there will be no time for the preparation tomorrow).

The day's been pretty slow overall - although it's still been packed. Maneworthy dropped by to give me a quick examination, followed a little while later by Detective Lockhooves and Thunder Glider. All four of us and Twilight spent a couple of hours going over the trial and had lunch, before the Detective and Thunder both left to take care of their own preparations. Maneworthy stuck around for an extra hour simply for the sake of hanging around with us before leaving to work on the medical report for the trial.

Aside from working on my own testimony - which hasn't been as depressing as when I first dictated it to Spike - I've taken time to chat with the others, clear up my religious preaching from last night with Twilight, and provide input on the suit Rarity's putting together. She's taken every last one of my measurements again to account for the weight I've gained since she provided my first batch of clothes, and is creating the new kit from scratch. It's rather flattering, actually, that she'd take so much time to put together a brand new suit for me - even if it is also helping her Boutique. It's also generous of her, although I've technically paid her in full for both this suit and all my other clothes. She just doesn't know it yet.

The only ponies today who haven't really done much are Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, who have been out on the balcony sunbathing and making friends with the local birds respectively. That's pretty predictable for Rainbow Dash, but I think that Fluttershy was spending most of her time out there due to her extreme timidness around me. That's something that might take some work.

Right now, I'm utilizing the two earth ponies' temporary absence from the kitchen to ogle of the tasty-looking apple-based confections they've cooked up - all of which but the most sugary ones I can now eat, according to Maneworthy. They're really looking fantastic, and judging from how many of them there are we're looking forward to a great turn-out at the party. That's good, because tomorrow's going to be a grim day. A good party at the end would really save my mood.

I actually got quite a shock earlier today, when Twilight mentioned to me that the entire trial would be over in a day. Something of this scale would be dragged out over several weeks - if not months - back on Earth, but in Equestria the presentation of arguments, the verdict and the sentencing all take place on the same day. I suppose that would be the product of a legal system that rarely has cases as massive as this. Twilight still hasn't briefed me on the details of how tomorrow is going to play out, but I'm finding it nerve-racking to know that by this time tomorrow we'll be done. Finished.

"Oh, Jacob dear." Rarity pipes up from my side, startling me from my strange activity that is a cross between food-stalking and day dreaming. "I believe that your suit is nearly ready. Would you like to come give your final opinion before I finish up?"

"Hmm?" I turn sharply to face the cream unicorn, feeling perplexed as to why everyone's been approaching me like this today. Maybe it's because I keep phasing out, which puts me in a position for it to happen. "Oh, sure."

"Wonderful." Rarity smiles and turns to the stairs, trotting away from me. "I'll just run up and make sure everything is in perfect order."

"Right." I call half-heartedly, before reluctantly abandoning the piles of confections - which Pinkie honestly could have left to the kitchen staff. I suppose it just wouldn't be a Pinkie party if she hadn't hoof-made all of the treats herself (With some help from Applejack, of course).

"Oh! Uh, Keys!" Twilight looks up from her many papers as I pass the center area of the suite, inexplicably tripping over her words. "Is there anything you need?"

"I'm just going up to give my final approval of Rarity's suit." I shrug. Twilight can't really do much until I sit back down with her, so why not get her opinion as well? "You wanna come see it?"

"Sure!" Twilight smiles, hopping off of her couch. "And then we can finish up your testimony."

"We can." I smile slightly in return before we both start to casually walk over to the stairs, dawdling at an extremely slow pace. "So I was wondering if you'd be able to explain something to me."

"I'll give it my best shot." Twilight giggles quietly. "What do you want to know?"

"Uh, well I was just wondering..." I shrug my shoulders again, trying to visually indicate that I'm talking in a broad sense. "How is the trial's going to proceed tomorrow? What's Equestria's court system like? Et cetera."

"Hmm... okay..." Twilight clears her throat as we reach and start climbing the stairs to Rarity's makeshift sewing room. "Well, I'm warning you now that tomorrow is going to be a very long day. The more complex a case, the longer it takes... which means that we'll be convening at six in the morning and carrying through as long as it takes until everything is finished. There's a half hour intermission for lunch, and a ten minute intermission every two hours. If you ask me, we could carry over into a second day, which would be an actual first for Equestrian courts."

"This really is a big case, isn't it?" I question quickly before the mare can continue. "I mean, if none have ever crossed the one-day mark..."

"Well, there have been bigger cases, but none of those could be prosecuted," Twilight replies with a smile. "Nightmare Moon's attack, the Changeling invasion, Discord's coup. All of those were dealt with long before any sort of court case could be made out of them."

"Ah." I nod. "Okay. You were saying?"

"I was saying... uh..." Twilight pauses for a moment. "Oh right; so we'll be starting at six in the morning, and we'll be presided over by Princess Luna and two of Canterlot's Justices of the Peace. For any other case of this size it would be Princess Celestia, Luna and Cadance, but whenever one is unavailable a Justice of the Peace is substituted in. Obviously, Princess Celestia and Cadance are being substituted because they're too personally involved in the case."

"Right. A one day case with Luna and two judges presiding," I repeat back Twilight's explanation in as simple a statement as I can condense it to. "What about a jury?"

"Juries are only used for normal cases, like property disputes or thievery claims," the purple mare replies quickly. "When we get up to trials where somepony's life has been severely affected - like yours - then the princesses are the only deliberators."

"Huh. A system like that would never fly on Earth." I comment. "But we don't have any omniscient, omnipotent beings as our rulers."

Not acknowledging my input with anything more than a nod, Twilight presses onward. "Once both sides have given their arguments, the deliberators will go into seclusion until they reach a decision. Normally any cases that are deemed important enough for the princesses consideration only require a deliberation of ten to twenty minutes.... but with our evidence, it shouldn't take much longer than that."

"So that's it?" I question bluntly. "We present all of our evidence in one day, and then wait for Princess Luna and two judges to decide?"

"In a nutshell, yes." Twilight nods. "Although how long the trial takes really depends on what defense Trixie is preparing. For all we know, her family's lawyers could have cooked up something long and elaborate to try and save her - although there's nothing that will."

"Uh huh..." I nod slowly. For a place like Equestria, I can see why this system works. It's such a low-crime society that there's never been a need for the princesses to develop a legal system as extended and convoluted as the ones on Earth. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close. I wonder if Trixie can plead unfit to stand trial for any reason. "And one final thing..."

"Yes?"

"What punishment is Trixie facing?" I look down at the lavender mare as our slow climb brings us close to the top of the stairs. "What could she get at the end of all this?"

"Uh..." Twilight purses her lips. "Well, for a crime like this the lightest punishment she's looking at is banishment. Worse than that is imprisonment... but the heaviest punishment she can receive is to be petrified."

"Petrified..." I whisper the word. I know what it symbolizes - what it means. If she's petrified, Trixie will be just like Discord; another statue in Celestia's garden. "...By the elements of Harmony."

"Yeah." The mare nods awkwardly. Talking about Equestria's most brutal punishment doesn't exactly make for a light-hearted conversation.

"That sounds awful for everyone involved." I comment quietly.

Twilight looks away, not answering. I'm not entirely sure what she's thinking, but I'd bet that it's something regarding the recapture of Discord. Put that moment in a more grim and realistic context than a children's show, and it becomes rather gritty and... unpleasant.

We take that last few stairs up to the dining area in silence, having managed to thoroughly murder our conversation with such a grim subject. The spell is broken, however, by the excited alabaster mare waiting for us at the top.

"Oh, excellent!" Rarity chirps as we arrive, smiling broadly. "I was wondering where you'd gone."

"We got caught up talking about the trial. Sorry." I reply sheepishly as I take another look at all the stuff she's brought in. There's two sewing machines, a pair of 'tall' mirrors that don't quite reach my head, and piles upon piles of fabric - most of which rarity wouldn't have used. It's like someone just picked-up and threw a fashion show at my dining room.

"No matter, dear." The fashionista turns away from us, looking to the dining table. "Now, your clothes are all laid out, for your consideration." A touch of apprehension enters her voice for the final three words of her sentence, as if she thinks that I'll actually reject the suit she's sewn

"I'm sure it will be spectacular." I glance at Twilight, who just shakes her head slightly at me and mouths 'later'.

I shrug at her, and then move to follow Rarity. "Okay then. So what have we got?"

"Here you are."Rarity shifts to the side, presenting me with a view of my suit for tomorrow.

The coverings are a dark - and rather pleasing - blue, while the undershirt is a nice white. There's brown shoes - still without laces - and a grey-blue necktie. Overall, I'd relate it to an expensive-looking business suit. It looks nice; formal and not garish, which was something I had worried about. Obviously, Rarity does understand that stallions - or men - look better in more simply designed clothing than the extravagant kits she created for mares.

"So what do you think, dear?" Rarity asks, a tinge of nervousness to her voice.

"I think it looks perfect," I reply promptly, trying my best to say what Rarity would want in a reply while trying to fathom why she would be even slightly nervous about my response. "The blue is a good shade, the entire thing's tastefully simple, and I'm sure that it fits like a dream."

"Would you like to try it on?" The fashionista steps towards the clothes, her horn lighting up.

"No thanks." I wave a hand for her to stop. I would try the suit on normally, but right now I really want to get back downstairs and get through the last part of my testimony. "I'm positive that you'll have the measurements right."

"Why thank you. I'd like to think so," Rarity smiles with false modesty. "I dare say it should be perfect for the proceedings tomorrow."

"I agree." I turn to Twilight, who's hanging back awkwardly. "What do you think, Twilight?"

The lavender mare quickly steps up, placing herself between me and Rarity to get a good look at my new suit.

"I think it will look very nice," she speaks after a short pause. "The colors look perfect."

"Thank you." Rarity smiles at Twilight. "It's good to know you both approve."

"Not hard to. It's a good suit." I take a step back, scratching awkwardly at my arm. I just want to get back downstairs so that me and Twilight can finish up. "But, uh... well, now we need to get the last of my testimony done."

"Oh, I understand." Rarity turns her back on the dinning table as Twilight moves to stand beside me, still glowing from our compliments. "Dear me, you've been going over that all day. You both must be dying to get it finished."

"Exactly." I shrug while Twilight replies with a vindicated 'yes'. "So... without trying to be rude, we'll leave you to it."

"Go right ahead. We can all talk more over dinner anyway." The alabaster mare smiles sweetly at the two of us. "I'll just lay these out in your room for tomorrow."

"Thanks." I nod as me and Twilight turn around and walk away, descending the stairs back to lounge.

"Okay." I glance at the lavender mare as soon as we're out of earshot. "So what was all that? Why was she acting nervous?"

"Yeah..." Twilight sighs. "Rarity's been very nervous about making clothes for you. She's worried that humans could have different ideas than ponies when it comes to fashion, and that you might hate the stuff she's producing."

"That's all?" I scoff. "Oh, that's just ridiculous. Even if I did dislike the clothes she's making, I wouldn't be too fussed. I need clothes and she provides."

"That's exactly what I said." Twilight chuckles as we disembark at the bottom of the stairs and move over to the couches. "Now then, where were we?"

I glance around the suite. Pinkie and Applejack have moved back into the kitchen - why, I have no clue, considering that they're all done with the baking - while Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy have both come inside to escape the failing daylight. It's nice to have them all here.

"Keys?"

"Huh?" I turn back to Twilight. "Oh, right. I think we were going over the second part of the Gala performance."

"Are you feeling okay?" Twilight raises an eyebrow at me as we sit down on the least cluttered of the sofas. "You've been kinda distracted today."

"I'm fine," I reply quickly. And I am fine. I just keep getting distracted thinking about the trial, among other things. There's no need to explain that to Twilight, though. "You're always asking me that, you know. Let's just get this out of the way, shall we?"

"Right." Twilight nods, looking slightly concerned. "But Keys; If you ever have a problem, you can tell me about it."

"I'll keep that in mind." I smile slightly, picking up the last page I was reading before we took a break. "Now Twilight, the testimony."

"Right." Twilight grins sheepishly, before picking up her own page.

While she finds her place on the paper, I take a second to glance out the window.

The trial is tomorrow. I've got my good friend Twilight to help me, and the support of the rest of the Elements of Harmony, despite what their personal opinions of me may be. Trixie's going up against me, two Elements and a princess - and from what I hear, she's got most of Equestria against her.

It's been a long time - almost a full month, in fact - since the day that I was ripped away from everything I knew. So much work from so many ponies has gone into what tomorrow will bring. It's been so long coming, but it's actually here.

The trial is tomorrow.

And I'm ready.

Author's Note:

This is a low-quality filler chapter - well, not LOW quality, but it's not exactly something I'm satisfied with. It could have been much better. Aside from the disappointing final quarter, I'm particularly bugged by the fact that there are no En Dashes, because the program I used de-formatted them and I'm out of time to do it myself.
This chapter WAS going to contain Keys playing another piece on the piano, but that'll have to wait now. Instead, I leave you with some set-up-filler-stuff that leads on directly to the trial in the next chapter. Are you all as excited for that as I am?

Now, I mentioned that I'm out of time. to clarify, you must look at this blog post about me going on holiday. Basically, I wanted to post this now, so that the quickest commentators will have 9-11 hours to comment and get a reply before I leave and go inactive for a week. There's no internet where I'm going.
So yeah. This chapter's kind of disappointing - especially when it comes to characterization and dialogue - but the next one is pretty much the money shot, so bear with me.

Get those comments in quickly, people. If there's a big problem with this rushed chapter I didn't notice during it's rabid writing, then please notify me so that I can take it down before leaving. Seriously.
And please, PLEASE don't hate me for this chapter. I know it really is boring. Next chapter's going to be good though, I promise.

Oh, and I just need to add: Before this was posted, The Piano Man: Act II had achieved 72,463 views, with 72,113 words. On a story of this scale, I consider a 1:1 or better Views-Words ratio is the ultimate validation. Of course, now I've ruined that again, but it HAD it, and that makes me happy.