• Published 12th Aug 2012
  • 19,741 Views, 1,916 Comments

The Piano Man: Act II - The Sentient Cloud



The Piano Man is free, but must now recover from his captivity and adjust to life in Equestria.

  • ...
80
 1,916
 19,741

Meeting the Parents

“How’s that looking?”

“It’s fine.” I turn my head from side to side, examining my haircut. “Could be a little shorter in the back, if you don't mind.”

“No problem.” The brown-coated hairdresser raises her scissors again, and I once more feel the slight tugs on the back of my hair, accompanied by the faint ‘snip’ as my hair is trimmed back a little more.

It’s been like this for the last half hour. Obviously, no hairdresser in Equestria would have experience with cutting human hair, which means that for the entirety of my trim I’ve had to specifically explain how it needs to be cut. So far it’s shaping up well. There’s only a couple of months of excess hair to get rid of, which was hanging to the bottom of my earlobes. Now it’s been shortened back with a standard trimming – which you wouldn’t think would require that much instruction, but it did.

I’m starting to get more than a little stir crazy. I’ve been sitting here for nearly double the time a simple trim would take back home, and this chair isn’t exactly comfortable. Ponies tend to sit on stools more than actual chairs, so there’s no back support. I’m also starting to get a bit irritated by Rarity, who’s been carefully disposing of any hair before it can come into contact with my clothes.

The door to the salon lets out a little 'tinkle' as it opens, and I glance in the mirror to see Twilight and Applejack approaching from behind.

“Well, that’s all taken care of.” Applejack reports. “Personally, ah wanted t’ give that stallion one heck of a whooping... but ah guess this works too.”

“What happened?” I ask, unable to turn to look at them properly while my hair is still being trimmed.

“I went and found a guard, and we went to have a talk with the clerk.” Twilight replies. “Oh, and we got you this.” Her horn lights up, lifting a navy blue book from her bag. “Is this the one you were trying to buy?”

I glance at the cover through the mirror, unable to read the backwards text in the reflection. “Yeah. I – uh – think so.” I trip over my words as I attempt to nod, only to remember that there’s still a pair of scissors hovering around my head.

“Uhh… okay then, so how’s the haircut going?” Twilight nods, and places the book back in her bag. That surprises me. I would have thought she would have something to say about whether or not I need to be more culturally sensitive.

“Nearly done – and looking pretty good, too.” A glance at the stylist confirms that my compliment was well received. “So… what the hell was all that? What did that stallion think was going to happen when he did that?”

“Uhh… he probably didn’t think about it at all.” Twilight scuffs a hoof at the floor, seeming a little hesitant to explain. “He’s a unicorn-supremacist – like Trixie – and apparently this isn’t the first time he’s been accused of discrimination.”

“A unicorn-supremacist?” I’m surprised that I was actually right. “Really? How do people like that function in such a diverse world?”

“Well, it’s easier in Canterlot because of the high percentage of unicorns.” Twilight glances at Applejack. “And apparently most of the other accusations were from zebras, or earth ponies. There aren't many of either in the area, which would explain how he's been able to go so long without any significant altercations.”

“That no-good low-life.” Applejack chips in heatedly.

I want to nod, but I can’t. I suppose a unicorn-supremacist would be able to at least tolerate the two other pony species, and living in a place like Canterlot would make for a lot less interactions with ‘undesirables’. However, there’s still one thing that bugs me.

“But what did he think was going to happen? That I’d just walk away, and that’d be the end of it?”

“Well… like I said, he probably didn’t think about it at all. Racism isn’t a rational reaction, and the way he treated you at first was most likely reflexive.”

I give a little sigh, pursing my lips. “Fun way to start the day. I run into one of the few nut-jobs this city has to offer – right?”

“Uhh… Supremacist ponies are pretty sparse, yes.” Twilight confirms, which lifts my spirits.

I think it’s fair to say that this morning hasn’t played out as I expected. I still wouldn’t call it completely bad, and I haven’t had my mood ruined. What kind of person would I be if a let this ruin my entire day? People on earth can go through worse, and so can I.

I’ll admit, though, that I really wanted to hit that stallion. It goes without saying that once I told the others, Applejack and Rainbow were both ready to charge in there and kick some racist ass. That’s the entire reason I left the store before telling them. The last thing we needed was to make a scene involving two mares betting the crap out of some bookstore clerk.

I’m still not sure whether or not I should have tried to fight him. Looking at things in hindsight, there’s a good chance that I wouldn’t have been able to win. I’m not that fit, after all.

“Okay then, how’s that?” The hairdresser takes a step back.

“That’s good.” I nod, examining my hair in the vanity mirror. “How much?”

“Twenty four bits, thanks.”

“Right.” I reach into my pocket, counting out the bits by touch. “Uhh… yeah. Here you go.”

“Thanks very much.” The hairdresser’s horn lights up again as she plucks the money from my palm.

“Oh my, I think it looks wonderful!” Rarity – who is now relieved of her hair-catching duties – compliments as I stand up. "Quite elegant in its simplicity."

I consider telling her that it’s just a trim, but I can’t help but feel that would be a little too rude. Instead I simply lean forward and run my hands through my hair, knocking out as many of the loose hairs as I can.

“Uhh… thanks.” I straighten up and retrieve my cane from its resting place against the counter, before checking the clock on the wall. “Oh wow. It’s after twelve. Who wants lunch?”

“Dear Jacob,” Rarity replies quickly, drawing a quietly muttered ‘Keys’ from me. “I’d hardly feel at ease if we were all eating while you had to just sit there and watch. It wouldn’t be at all proper.”

I shrug. “I can go without eating. I’ll just have something at the palace.”

Twilight clears her throat, cutting off a response from Rarity. “Actually, I was talking with Maneworthy yesterday before he had to leave.” She falls silent for a second, providing an opening for a response that most people on Earth wouldn’t provide.

“And?” I gesture slightly with my hand as the four of us migrate towards the door of the small salon.

“Well, he said that we can start ‘weaning’ you off of the treated food. We’re meant to start with low-calorie stuff, so I think you could... maybe... get some salad."

“Well… that sounds good.” I lie through my teeth. At the moment, I’d really like some more of that bacon they served back at the clinic. Any meat at all would be great, considering that I never ate the sausage meat from last night. That said, I’m extremely hungry, and salad should suffice.

“So, again; does anyone want lunch?”

***

“Your meals.” Our waiter says simply, depositing our food in front of us in pairs.

We’re sitting at a large outdoor table of what looks to be a fairly up-scale eatery. From what I can tell it isn’t one of the omnivore-serving restaurants that Maneworthy mentioned, but that’s not really relevant. According to Twilight, I’m still not ready to eat untreated meat.

I watch as the ponies and I receive our dishes; two slices of apple pie for Applejack and Pinkie., and five lettuce salads for the rest of us. I wonder if Equestrian salads are different from Earth salads. I think they might be a staple food, so maybe they’ll be different somehow

I glance up as my plate comes to a stop to see that the others are already eating. Following their example, I pick up a leaf of iceberg lettuce with my fingers – as the salad doesn’t come with cutlery – and take a bite. I can’t help but feel a little disappointed as I realise that it doesn’t taste any different from lettuce on Earth, but at least it’s something to eat.

I look around the table at the other ponies, who are still eating. It’s actually nice to know that they aren’t worrying about me for the change. It makes me feel less reliant… a little more independent, I guess.

I suppose this is what I’ve been waiting for. A nice day of doing normal stuff and having fun is just what I wanted – even if the experience has been tainted by racism.

Feeling reasonably upbeat, I proceed to eat the remainder of the lettuce leaf, before going to work on the rest of my salad. “I can’t believe that the chefs could actually bleach substance out of lettuce. Isn’t it like… ninety percent water?”

“Ninety five.” Twilight corrects me, looking up from her meal briefly.

“Right.” I nod, and we both return to eating.

I have to add here that it’s an interesting opportunity to watch ponies eat. Rarity and Twilight pick up lettuce leaves one at a time with their magic, while Rainbow and Fluttershy use the ambient telekinesis that the tips of their wings seem to have.

I’m not entirely sure what earth ponies use, though. I’d imagine that they’d generally hold cutlery with the ambient telekinesis their hooves possess – but I can’t be sure because Applejack’s resting her pie slice on her hooves so that she can take hearty bites, and Pinkie… I don’t even know. She was done eating before I looked. I don’t want to think about it right now.

Rarity and Fluttershy are chatting quietly by this point, and Pinkie’s already starting to look restless. It’s now that I realize that if I don’t stop staring at everypony and finish up my food the others will be waiting on me – and that'll just be another entry in a long list of the inconveniences I've caused.

With that in mind, I look back down at my food and retrieve a handful of leaves – which I then proceed to eat.

And of course, that’s when I’m interrupted by the sound of a stallion loudly clearing his throat.

“Excuse me.”

“Ugh.” I crease my eyebrows in irritation as I drop my lettuce back to the plate and turn to the source of the distraction. “Yes?”

I’m presented with the sight of four grim looking unicorns; two mares and two stallions. Both stallions look notably aged, as does one of the mares. The second mare looks to be considerably younger than the other three unicorns, but her face is no less serious. She herself looks rather sad as well.

The three older ponies all look to be roughly the age of Rarity’s parents, with streaks of grey through their hair. One of the stallions – who has a light brown coat with a waxed dark brown mane – is in a full ‘pony suit’, which is pretty much what you’d expect. It's basically a dark brown business-suit top with a white shirt and red tie, minus the pants. The only clothes worn by the other stallion is a white neck collar with a blue tie to compliment his cream coloured coat and combed-back brown mane.

The older mare sports a faded blue coat with a cream coloured mane that does a good job at playing down the grey hairs it contains done up in an elegant bun. She’s not wearing any clothing, save for what I think is a pearl necklace. The only pony who looks out of place in the group is the younger teal-coated mare, who is neither wearing any accessories nor styling her long white-blue mane.

“You’re the… Piano Man, yes?” The unclothed stallion asks tentatively as I turn around in my seat to stare at his face. It’s creased with multiple lines, many of which are focused around his eyes, making them look extremely tired. “I wondered if we might have a word.”

For no reason other than checking their responses, I glance at my eating companions. They all look as baffled as I feel.

After a large amount of hesitation, I turn back to the four ponies and ease myself to my feet. “I suppose I am. What’s it about?”

“It concerns the trial, sir.” The stallion wearing the suit replies in a cautious tone. “We’d like to discuss the proceedings.”

I give a little sigh, and nod my head at the Elements. “Can it wait? We’re having lunch.”

“Please, sir.” The stallion in the suit clears his throat slightly. “My clients have come all the way from Manehattan. All they request is a moment of your time.

I do an immediate double take, in the form of glancing at Twilight, then returning my gaze to the suited pony – who I think is a lawyer – and then suddenly shifting my eyes back to Twilight, who’s face has adopted an extremely startled expression to match my own. She told me that Trixie’s family was made up out of Manehattan industrialists. It’s almost certain that these are them.

Now considerably more interested – and worried – I turn back to the Lulamoons and their lawyer, gesturing with my hand to the café’s empty other table situated across the store-front from us. “Alright then. Let’s talk.”

The lawyer and who can only be Mr. Lulamoon both nod silently, their actions looking notably ‘soft’ in nature. All four of them are exuding a constant air of concern and worry, which is more than natural for a family who has an immediately related member facing charges by the government.

I hesitantly glance back at the others, before following the four newcomers to the vacant table, taking the seat with it’s back to my friends, which positions me as close to them as possible. I’m not sure what to expect here. Bribery? Threats? I hope to god that it isn’t pleading.

“You’re Trixie’s family.” I say simply. There’s absolutely no question to be asked here, as it’s obvious that they are. All I’m doing is acknowledging the fact.

“We are.” Mr. Lulamoon speaks quietly. “I was hoping I might have a word with you.”

I give a little shrug, “You’ve got it. I suppose you want to convince me to drop the charges.”

The older ponies share a collective glance between the three of them, before Mr. Lulamoon speaks again. “I understand how unlikely it is that you will agree to our request-”

“Impossible.” I correct him bluntly. “There’s no way I’m dropping the charges.”

The left corner of Mr. Lulamoon’s mouth twitches slightly in what I find to be a very worrying reaction. Once coupled with the deep bags under his eyes and the strain in his voice it makes it clear just how stressed the stallion is.

“-And yet…” He coughs awkwardly, apparently making no effort to portray an image of the typical confident industrialist. “…I would very much appreciate it if you would hear me out.”

“I’m telling you right now that it’s not going to work.” I reply, my face set in an irritated scowl.

Trixie’s mother is the one who replies to my refusal, and it’s when she finally speaks that I realise the mare is on the verge of tears.

“If it’s a question of bits, we can pay whatever your price is.” The scratchy ‘hiccupy’ edge to her voice grates against my nerves. “Just name it.”

“I don’t want money.” I reply coldly. “I want Trixie to pay for what she’s done.”

“There must be something we can offer.” The younger mare – who I assume to be Trixie’s sister – suddenly speaks with a heated voice that is belied by her tired exterior. “Property. Valuables. Promises. What do you want?”

I give a pointed sigh of frustration. “I don’t want anything from you. All I want is for that monster to get the punishment she deserves.”

She’s no monster!” Mrs. Lulamoon suddenly shouts at me. “She’s my daughter!

She is a monster!” I shout back at her, standing up angrily. “She’s a horrible pony who will do anything to get ahead, even if it involves enslaving, mind-raping and torturing a defenceless creature!”

I take a deep breath, trying to calm myself as the four ponies all stare at me with varying degrees of anger and disbelief. “I don’t know how much you’ve been told about what’s happened, but I sincerely doubt that you know the whole story – because if you did, you wouldn’t be supporting her.”

“She’s our daughter, and we still love her.” Trixie’s father replies. It seems like my adamant refusal has knocked most of the fight out of him, judging by how completely deflated and worn down he looks as opposed to earlier, when he was retaining some semblance of composure. “And we don’t want to lose her.”

I stare at the stallion for a second, unable to believe that he just said that. “You’re afraid of losing your daughter? You don’t want to lose your egotistical, psychotic unicorn-supremacist daughter?” My already deep scowl becomes even heavier with my words. “I lost everything, and your daughter was the one who took it from me!”

Trixie's sister is looking away, staring at the wall of the café with watery eyes. Her mother looks so close to tears that I can't stand it. The thought that a fully grown mare could break down and cry because of me is almost unbearable. The only pony who doesn't have a face like somepony just killed their dog is the lawyer, who appears both resigned and slightly confused.

I take a step back, planting my walking stick solidly on the ground while attempting to keep a straight face in the midst of a family on the verge of breaking down into a group crying-session. Applejack and rainbow Dash have come to stand on either side of me, with both of them looking more than ready to fight the source of my own distress.

“Thanks for taking the time to talk to me, but I’m not dropping the charges.” I shake my head angrily. “Trixie’s going to see justice for what she did to me, and you can’t stop it.”

"You can't do this!" Mrs. Lulamoon suddenly shouts in response as tears start to flow from the corners of her eyes. "You can't take my daughter from me!"

I swallow tensely, realizing that my own throat feels extremely tight. This entire scenario is not one I thought I'd have to go through, and I feel awful about telling these ponies this – and that I've acted so cold and heartless about it.

"I'm sorry." My voice cracks ever so slightly as I speak, drawing concerned glances from the ponies on either side of me. "This isn't about you. This is about justice being served. I can't let her just walk away after what she's done..." I take a sharp breath. "...No matter what it means to you."

With those words spoken, Trixie's sister slumps over in her seat, seemingly having lost all her resolve. Mr. Lulamoon leans over to comfort his wife, who has now broken down into ragged sobs.

Rainbow reaches out with one wing and tugs cautiously at my arm. "Come on big guy. Let's go."

I linger for a moment as the two mares turn away from the devastated group, Can I really do this? can I really just drop this on them like that – and in such a horrible way?

Feeling the first pricks of tears in my eyes, I turn my back on the family and move back to the Elements, who have abandoned their seats.

As a group they usher me out into the street, headed back towards the castle. We've only moved a dozen or so meters when Mrs. Lulamoon lets fly again, apparently still not done.

"NO! You can't do this! You can't do this to us!" She shrieks as we leave. "You can't just take her from us! It isn't right!"

I take another sharp breath, her every word cutting at me. It's true... even after everything that's happened – all the horrors, all the atrocities, and all the violence – it still isn't right.

And yet it has to be done, because at the same time it's completely right.

The ponies ferry me up the street, which has become much more densely populated since midday. The ponies in front part as we approach, with the majority of the crowd staring at either us or the screaming mare back at the café, most of their expressions taking the form of varying levels of concerned intrigue.

It's horrible.

The seven of us keep moving at a fast pace until we're nearly at the palace, which is when the shrieking and screaming finally fades away entirely, leaving nothing in its place but the standard 'bustling' sound of Canterlot at midday. It's at this point that Twilight finally turns to me.

"What happened back there? Are you alright?"

I look at her for a second, before raising my hands to my face and cupping them around my eyes. I take a deep breath, before slowly letting it out and lowering my hands to look at the lavender mare.

"No, Twilight... no I'm not." I speak slowly, turning my head to look back the way we came. "I just destroyed what was probably a family's last hope..."

I turn back to the mares wiping one hand at my eyes to make sure that none of the threatening tears hiding behind them can escape. I wasn't expecting any of this. I never even considered it as a possibility.

After pausing for a few seconds, I take yet another breath.

"And I never even stopped to learn their names."