• Published 12th Aug 2012
  • 19,739 Views, 1,916 Comments

The Piano Man: Act II - The Sentient Cloud



The Piano Man is free, but must now recover from his captivity and adjust to life in Equestria.

  • ...
80
 1,916
 19,739

Trust (Revised)

Read the Author's Note again people. PLEASE. It'll explain a few things.
I really hope this new version's to your liking.


Some nut-job once said that sleep is for the weak. That was a popular saying on the internet – it might still be, but I have no clue. As far as I can see, that statement's looking pretty accurate right now.

I couldn’t fall asleep for hours, and even then my rest was fitful. Not once did I get into a deep enough sleep to dream. In fact, I’m pretty sure that I’ve royally screwed-over my sleep patterns, so I’ll need to get some sleeping pills from Maneworthy.

At least I didn’t have any nightmares.

It's four in the morning. Not exactly the most optimal time for a walk, but I could seriously give a shit. There's no possible way I’ll be able to get back to sleep before sunrise.

I must have walked across half the palace by now. How I’ll find my way back to my suite is a mystery, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

It would seem that the Royal Palace is able to provide a beautiful view, no matter where the viewing position is located. The entire building’s been so expertly designed that apparently every window offers a breath-taking vista of scenery porn, and even though the halls follow the same theme throughout them, unwavering in their uniformity, they still look good. It’s hard to say that they can all look the same and be beautiful, but I can’t see anything bad about them.

I lean against the rail. I like this idea of just having the wall removed from a segment of hallway. The openness is relaxing, and the breeze is cooling. I wonder what they do when it’s scheduled to rain.

My view of Canterlot from here is different than that from my suite. There are different buildings to see – including the Clinic - Some of them lit, while others are darkened.

It’s really taking some time for this to sink in, and trying to force that realization on me isn’t working either. I’m seriously in Equestria. The world of My Little Pony. Everything that’s happened should be impossible. I mean, this place is fictional for Christ’s sake. How am I being so casual about all this?

It must be because of how I got here. I don’t remember, but maybe I went through the shock of being in Equestria while I was under Trixie’s hoof, and was to busy being traumatized to notice.

I roll my shoulders in a pointless shrug, slumping further against the rail. The change in the distribution of my weight is nice, allowing me to give my feet a little break.

“La… da… de-de-da…” I hum, licking disinterestedly at my lips as I stare at the jumbled Canterlot skyline. There are so many darkened buildings that it’s almost impossible to discern what turrets and towers belong to which of the elegantly shaped lumps.

“I have got to start sleeping properly.” I mutter under my breath, pondering whether or not to keep walking.

It’s to my surprise that the choice is made for me, as the sound of voices reaches my ears, followed shortly by two sets of muffled hoofsteps.

“…Had to find the foal’s parents and explain why it wouldn’t work.”

“Hmm. Seems like poor judgement.”

I turn down towards the next corner further up the hall, from where the voices are wafting. My first instinct is to walk away and avoid listening-in on the conversation, but the topic seems uncannily familiar, and the voices are unmistakable.

I should walk away now, but I can’t bring myself to ignore a discussion about me – especially when it's between Twilight and Celestia.

“He was just trying to make the foal happy, your highness. Admittedly, he could have done it differently.” Twilight defends my actions uneasily.

The hoofsteps come to a halt, placing Twilight and Celestia within easy earshot of me. I suppose it’s best not to question the coincidence of them being out at the same time as me, in the same part of the palace, having this conversation - although I am curious as to why they've stopped in that particular spot... or why they've stopped at all, for that matter.

“Nopony is capable of impeccable judgement.” Celestia concedes knowledgeably. “Although Shining Armor speaks highly of him.”

“My brother? Why?”

The surprise in Twilight's voice is faintly amusing, and I can't help but smile slightly as I give a minute nod of my head. Nopony ever told Twilight about our visit to Cadance and her husband, so it should be interesting to hear her reaction.

“Did nopony tell you?” Celestia questions in surprise. “Our guest paid a visit to Princess Cadance. It would seem that he managed to lift her spirits.”

“Cadance? But she was so… desolate.”

“I don’t know how, but your brother says that her condition has improved. Maybe you should ask Keys about that.”

The two lapse into silence, leaving me to wonder at what they’re doing out at this hour. Either-way the chances of me happening to hear this are unbelievably low, and I can’t help but take the opportunity.

“Speaking of questions…” Celestia continues, apparently having given time for Twilight to think about her last statement. “Have you learned where our guest acquired his knowledge of Equestria?”

“Uh…” Twilight hesitates. “No, princess.”

Celestia sighs. “Well, I hate to say it, but I think you’ll need to be more aggressive with your questions. We can’t wait any longer to find out.”

“Actually…” Twilight’s voice is quiet, and I hear what sounds like the scuffing of her hoof against the floor. “He… uh, he offered to… tell… me.”

This is concerning. I can see why it would be important for Celestia to find out why I know what I know, but why is she making it out to be this urgent? What reasons could she have that necessitates holding this conversation, and talking the way she is?

And for that matter, how is she going to react to what Twilight has just said?

“Princess, I… I’m sorry. I just didn’t think Keys was ready to tell me... and… and he was being so nice. It just didn’t… seem right.”

“Twilight…” Celestia seems weary and frustrated. “Keys clearly has in-depth knowledge about our world. We desperately need to find out how he acquired it.

“But why, princess? The unicorn seems genuinely confused, and I can’t help but feel a little baffled myself. Why is it so important?

“It’s a matter of national security.” Celestia replies, an edge to her voice. “And despite appearances, Twilight, from what I've researched... it would seem that humans cannot be trusted.”

Celestia's statement is followed by a brief silence, in which I take an unsteady breath, suddenly feeling a little flushed.

What is she saying?

“Wait… Humans can’t be trusted?” Twilight sounds flabbergasted to the same degree of my outrage. “...Keys can’t be trusted? Why? What has he done?”

“It’s who they are.” Celestia responds, her voice seeming both harsh and soft at the same time. “Or at least, it's who they might be. From what I know, humans lie, cheat and steal in order to get what they want.”

“But Keys doesn’t want anything but for Trixie to be punished, and he doesn’t need to do anything to get that to happen. He hasn’t even-”

“Twilight.” Celestia’s voice becomes much softer as she cuts her off. “I don’t have anywhere near the personal experience with Keys that you do, but me and Luna… have gone through the deepest sections of the Canterlot archives, and we found one of the few books that properly describes humans and the way they act as a species.”

“But that book must be ancient!” Twilight protests. She’s showing a considerable amount of backbone, considering that she’s standing up to the pony who is both her teacher and ruler. “And Keys hasn’t done anything!”

“Twilight, a species does not change its nature. I've been watching ponies and griffons for over two thousand years. In all that time, nothing has changed about the species themselves. Ponies are still kind-hearted beings, and griffons are still aggressive and competitive.”

Celestia pauses for a second, gathering her thoughts. “Having observed two different species and their societies as the matured, the only thing I can say is that it is that humans are more than likely still similar to their description in the tome.

“He’s a concern. I’m sorry to tell you, but Keys is from what is very likely a violent and self-serving race, and he has some sort of knowledge of our world. Those two factors combined could be very dangerous. You had the chance to find out what it was, and you turned it down."

Celestia’s voice seems weary, carrying a slight point for the end to the first part of her speech. In a way, the argument she’s fighting is like one against observant religious followers. You can’t argue with denial.

“I could be wrong. I haven’t seen the human world, and I can’t definitively say that they haven’t changed since this book was written. Keys could even simply be the exception to the norm, but he has knowledge, and we don’t know how he got it. That's the most important part.”

Twilight hasn’t spoken since Celestia started speaking, and I’m mentally screaming for her to rebuke the princess’s slander.

I’m still leaning against the banister, my eyes glazed and my knuckles bone white as they grip the railing. I can feel rage bubbling in my stomach at the largely unjustified and unprovoked criticism Celestia is voicing.

Humans can’t be trusted? That I can understand – to an extremely limited extent – but I can’t be trusted? Where the hell does she get off saying that I'm untrustworthy, after everything that’s happened? The worst I’ve done is be a little tight-lipped! I was the one that got enslaved and beaten, that got my hair set on fire and was gored on a horn!

I was the one that tried to kill myself.

“In the interest of ensuring Equestria's continued safety, and making sure that there isn’t some sort of leak that could give somepony like Chrysalis vital information that could be used against us, I need you to find out what Keys knows.” Celestia speaks confidently, if sombrely. “Once that’s out of the way, he can recover in peace. It’s just important that we know what he knows. Until then, we can’t trust him.”

“I’m… I just thought….”

“It’s fine, Twilight.” Celestia’s voice shifts yet again, turning soft once more. “Everything’s fine. All you need to do is ask him. He’s willing to tell you, so get him to do so. Then we’ll know if Keys is actually dangerous or not. The fact that he's willing to talk is a good sign as it is."

“I… yes, your highness.” Twilight’s voice sounds defeated. In the long run, you might be unable to argue with those in denial, but you can never argue with your monarch.

How can she say this? What the hell have I done to merit such suspicion? How the fuck can she claim that there’s any chance I could be a threat to Equestria, after everything that’s happened?

“Keys just… I don’t think he would ever do something like that. I don’t think he’d… that he’d ever be a danger…”

“I believe in the quality of your judgment, Twilight.” Celestia assures her student. “But I can’t rule out the possibility that your even-hoofedness is being swayed by your friendship, and we still don’t know that much about Keys. Until we can learn more, he is not to be trusted. That is the fact of the matter. Never trust the unknown.”

“Yes… your highness…” Twilight trails off, while I grimly wait for her to continue.

It’s only when neither of them speak that it finally clicks.

Slowly, dreading what I’ll see, I focus my eyes once more, and turn to look at the corner from which the voices had been drifting.

I really shouldn’t have stayed here, out in the open. It was all but certain that they would eventually continue moving in my direction, so what the hell was I thinking?

It is to my horror – and yet a small amount of satisfaction – that I bring my eyes to a stop on a surprised looking white Alicorn, and a shocked looking purple unicorn.

We stare at each other for a few seconds, before I push off and away from the rail.

“I’m not sure why I didn’t anticipate this.” I say both sheepishly and heatedly, grasping my cane with one hand while the other reflexively clenches into a fist. “I should have hid. I shouldn’t have even been listening, but I suppose that’s just more evidence for the ‘humans are bastards’ pile.”

I look Celestia in the eye, no longer rationalizing as I slowly anger myself with my own words.

“It's a strange coincidence that I’d walk all the way out here at the exact same time as you two, but In case nobody’s noticed, there have been a fare few chance happenings as of late. If I may name one: I was randomly ripped out of my own universe just to satisfy some psychotic mare’s lust for money. It could have been anybody else, but instead it was me."

“Keys. I’m so sorry.” Twilight’s voice cracks slightly as she speaks, but I ignore her entirely.

“M-make no mistake, your highness. Quite a few humans are indeed horrible. What's important is that you know that there are far less truly good people, but the majority of my race are just n-normal people trying to live their lives, like me. I’m not some wonderful person, and I’m no godamn monster either."

My tone quickly begins to turn bitter as my anger suddenly flares. Why am I excusing my entire race for her? Why would she even believe what I'm saying anyway?

"So, your highness... I’m very sorry that you distrust me, but I feel I should say…” I take a shuddering breath, feeling the first pricks of tears in my eyes. “…That I didn’t bring myself here, so how could I have an ulterior motive? How could I have something planned when it wasn’t even my choice to come here?”

Celestia has no response, and I am unable to read her newly acquired poker-face, so I press on.

“Your highness..." My face contorts into a deep frown as the tears start to push their way out of the corners of my eyes. The more I think about Celestia's comment, the more upset I become at just how unfair her statement is. "...After everything that… that’s happened, I would have thought that there wouldn’t be a need to second guess me. That I would have earned a little but of trust, or that at least you wouldn’t think I was looking to get something out of all this."

My 'argument' is breaking apart at the seams. The rational side of my brain has finally kicked in, asserting itself once more over my thoughts, and it’s started by pointing out that it is perfectly normal for a monarch to distrust a new element introduced into their rein, and that I am indeed an extremely wild card for the princess.

“So maybe…” My voice suddenly rises in pitch, reaching the point that I’m practically shouting. “So maybe, the next time you go judging my entire species, you should think about what one of your own did! A pony did all this! A pony left me like this!”

I gesture at myself with the handle of my cane, extending my other arm dramatically. “As far as I know, there isn’t a single fucking account of a human doing something to a pony – although I have half a mind to make the first!”

I lower both arms and fall silent, unable to continue as my mind goes to war with itself. Did I just make a threat?

To be honest, it is completely true that quite a few humans are bad people who are only looking out for themselves, but there really are those truly good people that make it their goal to help others. I suppose that just makes me just a normal person. I’m not better than other normal people, and I’m definitely not some evil monster.

Despite my regained ability of rationalization, it’s impossible to just do a heel-face-turn. I’m still furious - with still more of my opinion to voice - and doing so would involve swallowing a lot of pride. There’s no way I’m doing that right now.

I look from Twilight to Celestia. The former looks upset, while the later is still keeping her face neutral – although I can still make out a small amount of indecision and surprise.

With a little sigh, I bow stiffly. “So maybe, your majesty… before you go judging my species you should take a look at your own, because I think it’s changed a hell of a lot more than you give it credit for."

With my final rebuttal delivered, I turn away, wiping away the few tears that managed to obscure my vision.

“Goodnight, your majesty. See you in the morning Twilight.”

“Keys!” Twilight calls after me as I hobble away, although her call goes unacknowledged. Yet again I feel myself needing time alone to gather my thoughts. It's to my relief that Celestia remains silent as I leave. "Keys, this isn't you!"

I pause at her cry, finally acknowledging something Twilight has said as I turn my head.

"You're right, Twilight. I'm not me right now, am I? Apparently I'm some sort of shady information-broker that's going to sell you all out to the Changelings at a moments notice."

Neither mare has a response to my wounded retaliation. Twilight is letting out a few distressed noises as she does mental back-flips over what's happening, while Celestia is still presenting that same stony silence. Maybe she has no idea what to say, or maybe she knows that saying anything will do more harm than good.

With one final look back at them both - an action in which I try to convey just how hurt I am - I continue to walk away.

I breathe a sigh of relief the moment I’m out of sight of the two. The only consolation I have from this is that Twilight was defending me. I don’t know how I’d feel if she’d been agreeing with the princess.

I continue walking, not even caring if I’m being followed. If anypony would try to follow me, it would be Twilight. Celestia is seriously just upholding her role as ruler. Being suspicious of me is just her doing a good job.

Eventually, I come to a stop, thinking over what I’ve just done. I snapped and swore at Celestia for doing her job – and doing it properly.

I could attribute this to my unstable emotional status – as Maneworthy said, my medication can cause mood-swings – but I don’t want to. While it could justify irrational responses, there's no way it would excuse one as drawn out as what I just delivered.

“You mustn’t hold it against her.” Luna’s slightly accented voice interrupts my regretful thoughts. “Celestia isn’t the most trusting of ponies. She’s been through many events that would make it hard for... almost anypony to trust easily.”

I put my hand to my forehead, shading my eyes and sighing wearily. “Haven't we all?" I pause. "...I don’t know what I was thinking."

“You weren’t.” Luna’s hooves - and presumably the rest of her - emerge from a shadowed alcove set into the wall. “But I can understand your anger. Celestia once held me in a similar position. Quite recently, in fact.”

“I know.” I remove my hand from my brow and proceed to hang my head. “At least she trusts you now.”

“We aren’t so different, my little human.” Luna speaks softly. “We’ve both been through extremely trying hardships. I don’t believe that distrust is based on the hardships themselves, but the context in which they take place. I betrayed my sister, and you were dragged from a world which we understand to be inherently violent and unstable. My sister is just trying to lead with Equestria's best interests in mind."

I nod. “Listen, Princess-"

“Please call me Luna. I’ve become a little adverse to such formality.’

I pause, wishing that the sisters would stop asking me to speak informally to them. I’m beyond arguing at this point.

“Listen, Luna… I’m… I’m sorry about all that. If you could tell your sister that… it’d mean a lot to me.”

“Why should you apologize for your anger?” Luna questions softly. “There’s no need to be sorry for what is outside your control. To say that it was unmerited would also be incorrect.”

I shake my head. “It’s just… if I don’t apologize, then I get the feeling this whole thing’s going to snowball out of control. It’s better to nip these things in the bud before they start. That way I can… preserve relations.”

Luna smiles softly. “You don’t know Celestia as I do, Keys. She will not hold a grudge against you for this. If anything, she herself will also be lamenting what has transpired.”

I continue to shake my head, feeling empty as my rage exits my body through every available opening. “I can’t help it, Luna. I need to apologize, no matter what you say.”

“If you believe it is necessary, do what you will.” Luna replies. “I will talk to Tia, and see if you’ve managed to change her opinion.”

“Changed her opinion?” I pinch my brow. “I’m less than a hundredth of her age! What could I possibly say that could change her opinion.”

“We are wise with our years, Keys. Not infallible. Not unreasonable.” Luna gives a little shrug. “Maybe your approach was not the best that could be used, but Tia’s decisions are never set in stone."

Funny. There seems to be a pretty big decision set in stone right out in the garden.’ I lament bitterly, looking up at Luna.

“Why are you comforting me?”

Luna smiles. “Celestia prioritizes Equestria’s wellbeing over all else. In scenarios like this, she can be unable to spare somepony’s feelings in the process of her duties, so I feel that consoling those she offends and helping them understand her point of view it the best I can do to help. What's important is that when you look at it impartially, Celestia was doing the right thing."

She looks me up and down. "I have duties that require attention, and you must rest. Goodnight, Keys.”

I nod as Luna turns away. She’s running clean-up for Celestia, making sure that I understand what’s going on, and that I don’t resent her for it. “Running clean-up, Luna? It seems below you.”

“Not at all.” Luna chuckles slightly, looking over her shoulder at me. “I do believe that Tia often has to do the same for me. Just understand that despite her harsh words, Celestia is just trying to make sure that everything is safe for both our people and you. Do not trouble yourself, Keys. My sister will not resent you for your outburst, nor will she punish you.”

“I hope not.” I reply weakly, watching as the Alicorn walks away.

After a few seconds, I myself turn to begin the long and confusing trip back to my rooms, tears once more pricking my eyes, only to be stopped yet again.

"Keys!" Twilight's concerned voice brings me to a stop as the mare in question canters up beside me. "Keys, are you okay? I'm so sorry!"

"It's..." I quickly dab at my eyes, attempting to remove any sign that I'm getting close to tears, before turning to the lavender unicorn. "It's fine. I'm sorry. I... I overreacted."

Twilight looks at me in confusion, before giving a weak, yet reassuring smile. "I... I don't... let's just get you back to your rooms."

I nod, unable to say more as we begin walking. I feel slightly curious as to whether or not she saw Luna, or if the ruler of the night avoided being seen by her. Unless Luna took measures to conceal herself, they must have passed each other.

I sigh lightly, wondering what exchange Twilight and Celestia might have had that would have delayed her this long. I wonder what Celestia's thinking right now. What if Luna's wrong, and I've offended her? It's unlikely, but possible.

I push the thoughts from my mind as we continue to walk. They can be dealt to later, when I'm alone once more. However, I will acknowledge this: To say that this was a night of regrets would be an extreme understatement.

Tonight has been truly unpleasant. I'd even go so far as to say that it's been horrible.

But maybe I got off easy. If Luna's assurances were correct... then there's not really been any damage done.

I can only hope.