• Published 13th Mar 2019
  • 1,879 Views, 55 Comments

The cursed resident. - Sylif Daring Doo



There is a building that existed before Ponyville was originally colonized, a strange structure was home to a family of unicorns, many believe this home to be cursed, but regardless of these beliefs, the family remained.

  • ...
3
 55
 1,879

A revealing night.

______*Ponyville, a few days later, 1:30 PM*______

Rarity walked through through the Ponyville market, she was simply shopping for groceries today, her latest shipment of materials came today which was a relief, she had been running low lately.

The day was nice, the sun shined brightly but not too bright, and the clouds hovering overhead helped by giving some shade, there was also a slight breeze which helped the ponies to cool off.

Of course, the day wasn't perfect, Rarity's parents and Sweetie Belle had left town, and Alecia didn't seem willing to talk much this morning.

So Rarity walked in silence through the town, her down mood did seem to be noticed, but nopony spoke up about it, so about ten minutes later, Rarity had filled saddlebags and was walking home when she found Twilight looking around, seeing a chance to lighten her mood, Rarity trotted over. "Hello Twilight." She greeted.

Twilight looked at her. "Oh uh.....hi Rarity." She replied, she seemed distracted.

Rarity noticed this instantly. "Are you having trouble adjusting?" She asked simply.

Twilight nodded and looked around. "Yeah, it's a bit overwhelming to move so suddenly, I'm trying to find a bookstore, the library is a bit......outdated." She replied, trying to find the right words to say without sounding insulting.

Rarity smiled. "I'll show you where the bookstore is, I am in no hurry.." She said.

"Thank you so much Rarity, this town is like a maze." Twilight replied.

The two unicorns walked together and Rarity spoke up first. "Twilight, I was wondering if you might be able to help me with something." Rarity said.

Twilight looked at her friend as they walked. "Uh, okay, what did you need?" She asked curiously, hoping that it wasn't about modeling or something.

"I was hoping you might know something about humans, I've recently learned about them and I'm curious." Rarity said calmly.

Twilight blinked but kept on walking. "I'm no expert on them........but i can tell you what I know." She paused as she summoned a scroll from somewhere.

"Humans are a bipedal species with two arms, two legs, two eyes, ten fingers and ten toes." Twilight started as she summoned a quill and wrote what she said. "They lived one thousand years ago and died out before Nightmare Moon arose, there haven't been any descendants or hidden villages discovered, their usual lifespan is around sixty to seventy years, maybe more if they are lucky, for their height, humans are fragile, they bruise easily and are more vulnerable to poisons and toxins." She paused for a moment.

"Their hands allow nimble manipulation of devices that ponies struggle with, and they were known to be quite agile and quick on their feet." She looked at Rarity who seemed to be in thought. "That's all I really know, why the interest though?" She asked curiously.

Rarity shrugged. "As it turns out, my ancestors actually spoke with a human around six hundred years ago, I'm not sure what happened after that." She stated.

'Perhaps it's time for me to actually read grandfathers journal, it might help me to understand.' Rarity thought.

Twilight sent the quill and scroll away and they soon arrived at a Bookstore called Quinn's. "This is our local bookstore, I hope you find what you are looking for." Rarity said.

After saying farewell, Rarity went home while Twilight went inside the store.

______*Rarity's house, twenty minutes later.*______

Rarity sighed in relief as she sat down on her couch and relaxed, she had just spent the last fifteen minutes fixing the hole in her ceiling, and even though it had been cleaned up and the old ceiling had been removed already when her family was in town, she still had to find her tools and nails, and then she had to measure the materials and make sure she didn't mess up.

And while it wasn't very physically draining, it was the amount of magical exertion combined with holding up everything at once, and even though she was able to easily manipulate her sewing needles and cloths, doing the same for numerous nails and the plywood, it want a perfect fix, but it would have to do until she could get the proper materials or a handyman to fix it correctly.

Rarity rested her head on the couch and closed her eyes. "I think I'm going to miss the little kid." Alecia's voice said.

"You might not be missing her for that long, my parents have a tendency to leave her with me for a week or more at a time." Rarity replied as she looked in the direction of the ghost.

Alecia was currently looking out the window, watching as the ponies of Ponyville went about their day. "Don't they have a home?" She asked as she began to float, her expression was hard to read as she was very blurred.

"They do, but they have to travel a lot for work, unfortunately this led to my grandfather raising me and me practically raising Sweetie Belle." Rarity said as she rested her head again. "What about you? what was it like where you came from?" She asked curiously.

Alecia said nothing at first, but after a minute, Rarity spoke, her ears flat against her skull. "I.....I'm sorry if I brought up a sore-"

"I don't remember." Alecia said, cutting her off. "If I'm being completely honest here? I barely remember anything before those six centuries, all I know is how long I've been a ghost, one part of my name, my species and my family, other than that? it's a blank, unless I focus really hard on it." She explained.

Rarity sat up and looked at Alecia. "If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been a ghost?" She wondered.

Alecia seemed to shrug as she answered. "One thousand and thirteen years, four months, three weeks and two days." She said casually.

Rarity blinked as she stared at the ghost. "How can you remember that?" She asked curiously.

Alecia floated over and stopped next to Rarity. "I'm a ghost that was stuck in a room for over six centuries, not much else to do but to count the days." The ghost replied.

Before the unicorn could speak, Alecia spoke. "And no, I'm not in the mood to talk about my family, all human, good people, that's about the gist of it." She said before vanishing.

Rarity stood up and stretched, she walked over to one of the windows and looked outside, the town had calmed down considerably from the attack, but many were still wary, not that anypony could blame them of course.

This was part of the reason that her family left Ponyville, but she understood that much.

Rarity sighed to herself, 'It really is lonely here.' She thought to herself.

______*one week later, 1:13 PM.*_______

Rarity was currently outside of the Golden Oaks library along with Applejack, Twilight and several of the townsponies, there was a massive storm scheduled today and they needed to hurry as they pulled some smaller trees down and removed anything that could easily destroy something in the wind, such as a large sledgehammer.

While Rarity did of course complain about the storm, Applejack countered by stating that it had been a dry season lately and this storm was to make up for that.

More than once, Applejack caught Rarity simply trimming the tree instead of felling it, which had evolved into a heated discussion about how bad of an idea that was.

Rarity had countered by saying that knocking the trees down was a bad idea in of itself, as they were safer in the ground.

The two were about to go at each other again when Twilight stepped in. "Hey! get inside! the storm is getting too strong!" She said.

Rarity and Applejack were about to head to their respective homes when fierce winds, rain and lighting started to pelt Ponyville.

They looked and saw that Twilight was inside the doorway to the library. "Get in!" She shouted.

Applejack and Rarity immediately ran into the library and Twilight shut the door and locked it, she sighed in relief and looked at her two friends. "Are you alright?" Twilight asked.

Rarity and Applejack nodded. "Well, it looks like we're stuck here until the storm passes." Applejack said.

As she said this, Twilight got excited and suggested they spend the night, when they agreed, she pulled out a sleepover handbook, which exists for some reason.

Rarity was especially amused during truth or dare, where Applejack had to wear a dress for ten minutes, it was almost worth getting drenched and her hooves getting covered in mud for, after that, it was Twilight's turn.

"Alright Twi, truth or dare?" Applejack asked.

Twilight tapped her chin and shrugged. "Truth." She replied.

"Ok, is it true that you knew Nightmare Moon was going to show up?" Applejack asked.

Twilight nodded calmly. "Yea, I tried to warn Princess Celestia, but she shrugged it off......at least it worked out though right?" She wondered.

Rarity nodded before Applejack could respond. "It did work out, Princess Celestia has her sister back and Ponyville is returning to normal." She said.

Twilight nodded. "Alright Rarity, truth or dare?" She asked.

"Truth." Rarity said, not willing to risk another dare at the moment.

After taking a moment to think of a question, Twilight spoke. "Please don't take this the wrong way, but are the rumors true? that your house is cursed or something?" She asked, not wishing to offend.

Applejack was quiet as she waited for the white unicorn to answer, which she did. "In a way." Rarity replied, she held up a hoof to quiet them before they could speak. "My home is not cursed, it is haunted." She said.

Twilight was silent for a moment before blinking, she seemed to be amused by something but didn't want to say anything.

Rarity recognized the expression, she often saw it or even used it herself, she just laughed quietly. "Quite a claim no? but to answer your question, no it isn't cursed." She said finally.

The statement caused them all to share a short laugh, that was of course, until Rarity's next statement. "Seriously however? it is haunted." She said.

Before Twilight or Applejack could say anything however, all three of them gasped, but for different reasons, Twilight and Applejack because they watched as Rarity's left eye became a pale blue with a ghostly white mist like appearance.

Rarity had gasped because she watched as a ghost walked right behind Twilight and up the stairs, it was clearly a pony but she was unable to determine what kind. "Rarity, your eye!" Twilight said, her eyes wide.

"I am aware, would you like me to explain?" Rarity asked, turning her focus to her friends, who seemed creeped by her eye.

Twilight nodded and Applejack shivered a little.

Rarity shifted a little and got herself more comfortable. "It started a week before the Summer Sun Celebration, my family came to Ponyville for it and were staying with me for the week, that night, I found my sister upstairs, staring at the locked room, I unlocked it and we both entered, disturbing a salt line that had been all around the rooms walls, unbeknownst to us, we had released a ghost into the house." She took a breath and continued.

"After a few days of this haunting, my sister had revealed that she found a spell in the library, it is called Spectral Vision, she had used it without telling me or considering the consequences." She sighed and shook her head. "Later, I used the spell myself and the next morning, I looked in the mirror and saw this." Rarity pointed at her eye.

"And seeing as nopony noticed this change makes me believe that the change only occurs when we see a ghost." Rarity explained. "From what I was told however, my eye is always like this at home." She added.

Twilight seemed thoughtful for a second before she spoke up. "Can I......see the spell?" She asked.

Rarity nodded and stood up. "Let me find the book." She said as she walked to the bookshelves.

It took a few minutes, but Rarity soon found the book containing the spell she cast, she opened it and flipped through the book until she found it, she then walked back over and sat down, showing Twilight the spell.

Twilight took the book and began reading it, her eyes darted back and forth along the page as she read, soon she looked up. "This spell......I don't like it, there's too much risk." She said as she closed the book.

Rarity nodded. "I am well aware of the risk I took, but when I cast it I was desperate to find a solution." She replied as she looked at Applejack who seemed to be lost in thought. "Now, let us get back to the game, I don't want to ruin the night anymore with all of this ghost talk." She said as she let out a small smile.

The rest of the night was far from perfect, and after a heated argument between Rarity and Applejack, Twilight had shouted at them, stating that they practically ruined the night with their stupid arguments.

A tree had also broken the window to the room, and Twilight refused to help get rid of it as she stopped caring how bad the night got.

Which meant that Applejack and Rarity were forced to make up and work together to get rid of the tree, once it was gone, Twilight cast a spell and the window fixed itself, the two then sat down and had a long talk, ending in an agreement to try and tolerate the other more.

In conclusion, the night wasn't amazing by any means, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

And in the back of her mind, Rarity felt like life in Ponyville just got a lot more exciting.

Author's Note:

Here you go!

I wanted to do a short chapter at first, like 1k to 1400? but I decided not to do so.

So here's a chapter for ya to read, and I hope you like it, if not, thanks for the read.